Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Shepherd

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

The biggest mistake those Sea Shepard guys made was inviting on camera crews to document their plight. Exposed themselves for complete fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

The biggest mistake those Sea Shepard guys made was inviting on camera crews to document their plight. Exposed themselves for complete fools.

that is very true.They are a disgrace to anyone working at sea.
    I still cant believe how captain Watson managed to get his master license?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What makes you think he did? Dig around and you'll find out how they exploit the loopholes.

Tabnabs wrote: »

What makes you think he did? Dig around and you'll find out how they exploit the loopholes.

Yes nothing really surprise me there.Amazing what you can buy on the black market.

Did he get his ticket out of a cornflakes box?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

He has no ticket, captain is a self proclaimed title.
    Several years after ramming the Sierra, Watson gave himself the title of captain, though he does not have a captain’s license. “He loves to dress up in uniform, as ‘Captain Paul Watson,’ and suddenly there’s enough gold braid on his shoulders to skipper the Queen Mary,” David Sellers, an old friend and former Sea Shepherd crew member, told me. In the eighties, Sellers and Watson fought so bitterly over the seaworthiness of Watson’s ship that they did not speak for fifteen years. (Sellers, a licensed captain, had insisted that it was not safe for ocean travel.) Many of Watson’s colleagues from the seventies and eighties no longer work with him; they have grown tired either of the campaigns or of Watson’s style of leadership—“anarchy run by God,” a longtime volunteer called it. “He doesn’t like people who disagree with him.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/05/071105fa_fact_khatchadourian#ixzz1pHPnaeCW

Several years after ramming the Sierra, Watson gave himself the title of captain, though he does not have a captain’s license. “He loves to dress up in uniform, as ‘Captain Paul Watson,’ and suddenly there’s enough gold braid on his shoulders to skipper the Queen Mary,” David Sellers, an old friend and former Sea Shepherd crew member, told me. In the eighties, Sellers and Watson fought so bitterly over the seaworthiness of Watson’s ship that they did not speak for fifteen years. (Sellers, a licensed captain, had insisted that it was not safe for ocean travel.) Many of Watson’s colleagues from the seventies and eighties no longer work with him; they have grown tired either of the campaigns or of Watson’s style of leadership—“anarchy run by God,” a longtime volunteer called it. “He doesn’t like people who disagree with him.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/05/071105fa_fact_khatchadourian#ixzz1pHPnaeCW

King Neptune would probably suit him better as title then captain Watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78706366#post78706366

Captain Mr Watson arrested in Germany and held for extradition to Costa Rica

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78706366#post78706366

Captain Mr Watson arrested in Germany and held for extradition to Costa Rica

Good i hope they put him away for a loooong time:D:D;)
    And who is the pirat now lol.

http://youtu.be/94W4trkb1Pw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'm all for marine conservation and protecting marine species, but speaking as a scientist I can't stand those pricks in greenpeace.
    Sensationalist ****e half the time, wreckless lies the rest.

• Advertisement

I've seen the fictional storyline on one episode where the whalers supposedly open fire on the Sea Shepherds and the captain was supposedly shot in the chest, only saved by his bullet proof vest. They even produced a bullet to prove it:rolleyes:

Attempted murder is a serious crime, you'd think the Sea Shepherds would have followed it up had it actually happened...

The hole man is a fake:mad:

A pressconference was held in Frankfurt over"Captain" Paul Watson arrest .

http://youtu.be/hmv4q7aqsB4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭ektec

I stand by Sea Shepard all the way.. I believe that canning whale meet and not conducting scientific research is crule.. Yes ok, they might be doing some research but mainly I "think" just to make some money.. Do they have to kill whales just to do research? Do they have to have a quota of 900 whales? Why?

I think its just crule killing so many whales in the southern ocean..

I was watching Whale Wars on friday there, and the whaling fleet stopped whaling and went back to port? I hope this will be an end to whaling!

I do not believe Captain Paul Watson faked when he got shot...

From watching the few episodes of the TV show it is a worry to see the total recklessness and complete disregard for good seamanship that these guys have. Some body is going to get hurt because of these guys.

I dont believe this is true, my opinion is they DONT disregard for good seamanship, that is FALSE. I think the sea shepard will put their lives on the line just to stop killing such powerful creatures...

ektec wrote: »
    will put their lives on the line

You just made my point. That is about a reckless as you can get.

You just made my point. That is about a reckless as you can get.

Its not reckless mickey. Ok, the japanese whaling fleet are killing 900 whales for scientific research. Sea Shepard claims they are canning the meet to send to the markets. Whales are cool, people love them. people would not put their life on the line for whales. Sea Shepard would but their life on the line as humpbacks and other whales are near extinction. Now, if you have the whaling fleet "just" killing so many whales day by day, I can see why Sea Shepard are furious nearing extinction. They want to stop them killing. The japanese just see's whales as whales but the Sea Shepard see them as something else, which is acceptable. Its not reckless putting your life on the line for something you want to stop and love.

I dont believe this is true, my opinion is they DONT disregard for good seamanship, that is FALSE. I think the sea shepard will put their lives on the line just to stop killing such powerful creatures...

Perhaps you'd like to share your background and let us know your understanding of good seamanship?

Here's one example I saw recently, 150n self inflating lifejackets being used in the ribs over very many layers of clothing. Suicide if you enter the water and highly stupid and irresponsible. :rolleyes:

Not only are they putting others lives at risk, the management of the ship is showing a blatent disregard for their own "crew".

good seamanship as in not entering the ice field with a boat that does not have ice protection in the hull...

wearing lifejackets over clothing? I think their clothing is to protect them from the cold waters.. its not like they are wearing a hoodie..

How is the mangement of the ship not thinking of their own crew? I need an example... Every person on board all 3 vessels would do anything just to stop the japanese.. paul stated in one programme safety for their crew is number one and whales is number two, but close behind.. Everyone on board would do anything to stop them, but would do somethings that are "risky"

good seamanship as in not entering the ice field with a boat that does not have ice protection in the hull...

wearing lifejackets over clothing? I think their clothing is to protect them from the cold waters.. its not like they are wearing a hoodie..

How is the mangement of the ship not thinking of their own crew? I need an example... Every person on board all 3 vessels would do anything just to stop the japanese.. paul stated in one programme safety for their crew is number one and whales is number two, but close behind.. Everyone on board would do anything to stop them, but would do somethings that are "risky"

Safety in icy waters is using a survivalsuit,not wearing lifejackets on top of layers of clothing you will go straight to the bottom when these clothes get wet,or you will die from hypothermia.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

ektec I am a supporter of sea shepard but think waht paul does sometimes is daft. the crew are very haphazard as they are only there for a short time. I know they undergo some training but its naff all afaik. Bottom line is they protect whales and have saved countless numbers of them so they have my support. Some things they do hurt their campaign imho. Boarding a ship and then claiming you have been kidnapped being one of them. I am no martime expert but spend a lot of my time in and under the water but pretty much all coastal work so no experience of Blue water stuff but they are haphazard even launching the ribs seems to be an ordeal. Really hope some billionaire sets up a trainng centre for them or pays fore some of the volunteers to go and do a maritime college course. Like I stated above they have my support despite all this. Its their passion and enthusiasm that wins through in the end anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

andy_g wrote: »
    We must be doing something right, and hopefully i'll be down there next year again as i couldnt this year.

Well done ! I totally support the Sea Shepherd. I believe that extraordinary action can be justified in preventing a crime. I can totally understand that the crew are willing to put their lives on the line. There is no possible justification for whaling. An intelligent mammal must be killed by humane methods & not chased to the point of exhaustion.

I'm doing a school project and have to include an essay, which I am doing so about Sea Shepard and about Paul Watson how they are stopping the whaling fleet from whaling in the southern ocean.

What should I include? Can anyone give me any good examples throughout the campaign with Paul being a hero or just what Sea shepard does out at sea? If some one wants to write a piece about stopping whaling or anything to do with Sea shepard go ahead and PM me..

Can someone help me out? You can PM me..
    Thanks a lot..

@long range shooter, Are you sure they are not wearing a survival suit with just a life jacket over? What are they actually wearing under the lifejackets?

The crew in the rib doing prop fowls etc do get wet and do the life jacts deploy, as in blowing up? can they be just buoyancy aids?

I'm doing a school project and have to include an essay, which I am doing so about Sea Shepard and about Paul Watson how they are stopping the whaling fleet from whaling in the southern ocean.

What should I include? Can anyone give me any good examples throughout the campaign with Paul being a hero or just what Sea shepard does out at sea? If some one wants to write a piece about stopping whaling or anything to do with Sea shepard go ahead and PM me..

Can someone help me out? You can PM me..
    Thanks a lot..

@long range shooter, Are you sure they are not wearing a survival suit with just a life jacket over? What are they actually wearing under the lifejackets?

The crew in the rib doing prop fowls etc do get wet and do the life jacts deploy, as in blowing up? can they be just buoyancy aids?

If you read about SOLAS,safety of life at sea,you will figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Another WALT,and this one is all at sea.

As for recklessness.Willingly putting your vessel and crew in harms way and or endangering other vessels and crew on the high seas is ASFIK a criminal offence in any international court.Fine example was SS super 007 type triman that was rammed and sunk last year as it deliberately was steered under the bows of an oncoming vessel.

Whatever the ins and outs of the morality of shaving the whales.i'm for it on the point of conservation,but against these stupid direct action taking the law and flouting it and putting people in harms way idiots out there.
    I can see a whole bunch of people getting killed one day by this stupidity.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1 moody_cow69

from what I see here, most of the responses just dont care about the Japanese and the poor marine life they destroy? so why are you even here posting whatever crap comes out of your head?
    As a fellow Sea Shepard volunteer, it is my choice to stand up for those marine creatures that cant stand up for themselves, and if some people dont agree with me i dont give a rats ass. its our choice if we want to stand up for what we believe in. if more people did the same, the world would be much better off!
    Why do human always judge the life of a criminal over a defensless animal as justifyable? the human race is blinded by greed and the brave souls of the Sea Shepard are trying to show them the light! Im a 110% behind them and anyone that disagrees purely for the sake of not caring should just go jump off a cliff or get a life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

from what I see here, most of the responses just dont care about the Japanese and the poor marine life they destroy? so why are you even here posting whatever crap comes out of your head?
    As a fellow Sea Shepard volunteer, it is my choice to stand up for those marine creatures that cant stand up for themselves, and if some people dont agree with me i dont give a rats ass. its our choice if we want to stand up for what we believe in. if more people did the same, the world would be much better off!
    Why do human always judge the life of a criminal over a defensless animal as justifyable? the human race is blinded by greed and the brave souls of the Sea Shepard are trying to show them the light! Im a 110% behind them and anyone that disagrees purely for the sake of not caring should just go jump off a cliff or get a life!!

The jump off a cliff bit reminds me of Bertie Aherne and his commit suicide comment of a few years ago......

Your little rant relegates you to being a reminder of him. well done, good argument, good reasoning, good points and well structured.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

While the actions of the sea shephard crew looks to be reckless on occasion, the actions of the Japanese fleet seemed to border on downright dangerous and designed to cause an accident. I am thinking particularly of when then began circling one of the boats with the whaling vessels and then caused a collision, and of course when they sank one of the smaller vessels, the addy gil I think it was. Surely charges should have been brought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

why are you even here posting

it is my choice

stand up for what we believe in.

There.

People disagree with you lot, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

What a lovely introduction to the mindset of a Sea Shepard volunteer.

Just because I disagree vehemently with the methodology of the way this organisation operates does not mean I should jump off a cliff or get a life.

When you have more life experience, you may just find out that insulting people does not endear them to you.

Sea Shepard needlessly endanger human life and that is what I have an issue with. No human life is worth any number of animals lives no matter how cuddly they are.

I have had this discussion with andy_g so it is something I have expressed before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod instruction: tone it down and be civil as per forum charter (which is required reading)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement