Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They keep writing Federer off and he keeps doing that, was very unlucky there not to at least get a set. He'll still be there or there abouts next year.

He wont be winning any finals against Djokovic or Nadal unless he stops choking on crucial points.
    He blew the second set ,couldnt get a first serve in when he needed it ,too often this is happening him ,its a mental issue .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Brilliant match to end the year on. That last shot from Djokovic was amazing. How come Djokovic winning would receive so much more than Federer? Can't wait to see how things shape up next year.

The prize money is done by each match, so if you win the title having won all your RR matches, as Djokovic did, you get more than if you won it having lost a RR match, as would have been the case if Federer had won.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Some serious high quality tennis. How the hell did Federer give away two set points at 5-4 in the second set? Unforced errors. Tennis is such a ding dong game at the top.

The prize money is done by each match, so if you win the title having won all your RR matches, as Djokovic did, you get more than if you won it having lost a RR match, as would have been the case if Federer had won.

And the difference between the undefeated winner's earnings and the winner's earnings is staggering. Federer would have pocketed 830,000 dollars. Novak pocketed 1.76 million dollars last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Each player gets about $135,000 participation fee...even alternates get something!:eek:

Fantastic match from both players. Djokovic dug himself out so many times; can't remember any other player being able to do that as regularly as he does!

Delighted that the Tour Finals are staying in London until 2015. It's a fantastic atmosphere there. Before London was awarded a contract extension the potential venues were Singapore and 2 Chinese cities IIRC. I wonder will they put in their bids for 2016...

Looking forward to 2013! Hope it's as good, if not better than 2012.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah the alternates got something like £70,000 just for showing up

What a great weekend that was. Caught Feder vs Del Potro and Ferrer vs Tipsy as well as the doubles. Also saw Andy Murray up close on the practice courts, he is way bigger than he looks on TV. Djokovic though is just marvelous. Delighted I got to see him live, I was just so impressed with him. Fantastic final too.

One sour note though, the Swiss fans were awful. Absolutely pig ignorant. Talking throughout and at full volume during the doubles match. Dismissing requests from other members of the audience to be quiet and then once the final began having the cheek to demand silence while Federer served, and then yap over Djokovic's serves as well as rallies. And it was not one isolated group. it was obviously, as far as I was concerned, only where I was sitting, but there were patches of them in different parts of the grid all ebhaving the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

What a great weekend that was. Caught Feder vs Del Potro and Ferrer vs Tipsy as well as the doubles. Also saw Andy Murray up close on the practice courts, he is way bigger than he looks on TV. Djokovic though is just marvelous. Delighted I got to see him live, I was just so impressed with him. Fantastic final too.

One sour note though, the Swiss fans were awful. Absolutely pig ignorant. Talking throughout and at full volume during the doubles match. Dismissing requests from other members of the audience to be quiet and then once the final began having the cheek to demand silence while Federer served, and then yap over Djokovic's serves as well as rallies. And it was not one isolated group. it was obviously, as far as I was concerned, only where I was sitting, but there were patches of them in different parts of the grid all ebhaving the same way.

Yeah Andy is a comfortable 6"3 alright, which is hard to believe at first!

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. You got a good final too, shame it didn't go to 3. Still it was nice to see the world number 1 and greatest of all time at first hand!

That's disappointing about the Swiss. Common courtesy never goes astray. The same crowd clearly invaded the Federer semi too. At least on telly it didn't sound too bad in the final, but that's still awful behaviour and then to demand silence when Fed is serving is pure cheek. Everyone pays for their tickets fair enough, but you'd expect people to have basic manners

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Yeah Andy is a comfortable 6"3 alright, which is hard to believe at first!

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. You got a good final too, shame it didn't go to 3. Still it was nice to see the world number 1 and greatest of all time at first hand!

That's disappointing about the Swiss. Common courtesy never goes astray. The same crowd clearly invaded the Federer semi too. At least on telly it didn't sound too bad in the final, but that's still awful behaviour and then to demand silence when Fed is serving is pure cheek. Everyone pays for their tickets fair enough, but you'd expect people to have basic manners

It's not just his height, he has massively wide shoulders. Lean enough upper body but big legs. A complete disparity to what I would notice on TV, he is far stronger looking than on TV. Whereas Djoker was far leaner and wiry looking, but still looks strong. Saw Ferrer up close too, ball of muscle!

I loved it, brilliant tournament and the set up is great. The atmosphere is super too. The final was close and lasted longer than the Fed v JMDP match IIRC so wasn't too disappointed with straight sets, it didn't feel like it, was so back and forth, but the quality on display was phenomenal to watch. Djoker couldn't have had a worse start but once he woke up you never felt 1 break was enough in that set for Federer.

Again, I can only speak for where I was sitting, but there were 6 Swiss blokes beside us, 4 in front and numerous more scattered in the row and they were irritating many people with the talking. And yes, the pure cheek was infuriating. Was delighted to see their glum expressions when Novak won it.

I heard about the crowd on Sunday. The thing about Federer is that he attracts some of the "w@nkier" element of tennis fan unfortunately for him. It's one of the things that has always grated me about him. I'm all for icons of the game and fans having their favorites but it's truly ridiculous some of the carry on. Not real fans of the sport IMO. Del Potro played some amazing shots on Saturday which hardly got but a few scattered claps, whereas Federer would hit a fairly routine winner and the place would erupt and people in the crowd would be acting like they just witnessed a man walk on water! People who are truly passionate about the sport would marvel at great technique regardless of who played the shot. I was rooting for Novak and on several occasions Federer had me on my feet applauding, when it was due! But when Novak did the something on the same level, or frankly higher level, it was only small pockets of people applauding. It may not be heckling and boo'ing, thankfully the soccer manners can stay in soccer, but it is rather disrespectful if you ask me. That happened both days but I only had the ignoramus Swiss fans for the final, to be fair. Ironically I saw Federer twice, and he lost both matches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I heard about the crowd on Sunday. The thing about Federer is that he attracts some of the "w@nkier" element of tennis fan unfortunately for him. It's one of the things that has always grated me about him. I'm all for icons of the game and fans having their favorites but it's truly ridiculous some of the carry on. Not real fans of the sport IMO.

Happens with the superstars in all sports, Tiger Woods in his prime attracted the same type of fanbase to golf.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Happens with the superstars in all sports, Tiger Woods in his prime attracted the same type of fanbase to golf.

Oh absolutely, and I quite like Federer. I appreciate the blow ins and casual fans and the idiots will flock to guys like this, but it is very annoying all the same. You wish people would just have basic levels of cop on.

Wouldn't have tagged Murray as a broad guy; looks very slim on tv. I thought Daveed would look more muscle than man...I wouldn't expect anything less from him!:)

I had the same issue with a set of Bulgarian fans at Wimbledon one year. Pironkova vs. Bartoli; so ignorant and loud. I ended up leaving that match after about 3 games!

Yeah, there's always bunch(es) of idiots at any sports events. I wonder were the Swiss this intense/annoying when it was the Hingis era?

BTW, any pics from it Neil?

RosyLily wrote: »
    Wouldn't have tagged Murray as a broad guy; looks very slim on tv. I thought Daveed would look more muscle than man...I wouldn't expect anything less from him!:)

I had the same issue with a set of Bulgarian fans at Wimbledon one year. Pironkova vs. Bartoli; so ignorant and loud. I ended up leaving that match after about 3 games!

Yeah, there's always bunch(es) of idiots at any sports events. I wonder were the Swiss this intense/annoying when it was the Hingis era?

BTW, any pics from it Neil?

Yea Murray was surprisingly big. Daveed is a ball of muscle but quite short.

I'll post up some pics later, I haven't had a chance to take any of them off the camera/phone yet so leave that with me.

Also got to see Lendl hitting with one of the doubles guys before Murray arrived, his hitting is still sublime! I'll try to put up the vids I got if they are in any way decent quality (I have so much to get through that I'm not sure they are just yet!)

2-2 in the Davis Cup Final!! Ferrer beat Berdych in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, 7-5. Great show from the Spaniard; he was absolutely delighted to get the win and take it into a deciding match.

Up to Almagro or Stepanek to win it for their country now. Not sure who could win this; maybe a slight edge to Almagro.

Also, Ivan Lendl was presented with the Davis Cup Award of Excellence in Prague. It's presented to the player that represents the ideals and spirit of the Davis Cup. Lendl competed on the Czechoslovakian team from 1978 - 1985; in 1980 he led the team to their first and only win.

The Czech's have used the same 2 players for their singles and doubles. I understand the logic behind it but couple it with their late start on Friday, it really put them at a disadvantage. Berdych looked wiped today, always going to be hard against Ferrer but especially when you've played 2 really long matches 2 days in a row beforehand.

I think it was a tough move by the Czechs in putting Berdy & Stepy together in doubles instead of Rosol/Minar, especially against the Spaniards who just won the YECs. They couldn't really risk going down 1-2 on Saturday with Ferrer first up on Sunday....would have been all over for them if that happened.

Almagro saved BP on his serve to prevent Stepanek going 2 sets up. Is it me or is this match quite slow at times?

Gisela Dulko has announced her retirement from tennis. She made a statement on her website earlier today. Sad to see her go. Excellent doubles player and seemed lovely off-court. Together, Dulko & Pennetta won the 2011 Australian Open & 2010 WTA Tour Championships and became doubles World No.1.

What's amazing is that Gisela is retiring at 27 & Lisa Raymond, at 39, is still going strong.:)

Stepanek takes the second set on a tie-break. Can't see him lose from here.....unless Almagro suddenly morphs into Ferrer or Nadal.

Stupid computer making me repost repeatedly!!:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Almagro takes the 3rd, 6-3. Will be interesting to see if Stepanek begins to tire. This match is already going over 3 hours.

Great win for the Czechs. Steps played really well but bad from at the end having to be told about 5 minutes later to go shake hands with Almagro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Great win for the Czechs. Steps played really well but bad from at the end having to be told about 5 minutes later to go shake hands with Almagro.

Ah that's harsh. He was mobbed by his team straight after the winning point and was understandably caught up in the emotion.There was no bad intention there.

A golden period for Czech tennis.

Aidric wrote: »
    Ah that's harsh. He was mobbed by his team straight after the winning point and was understandably caught up in the emotion.There was no bad intention there.

A golden period for Czech tennis.

Last year Rafa was mobbed by his team, he pushed his way out and went to shake hands. Stepanek got out of the pile, went and kissed his wife, hugged his parents, jumped over the net and danced around the court for a few minutes, danced past Almagro and the Spanish team and then back to his own side before Berdych came over to him and made him go over and shake hands. Fine you get caught up in things but the first thing you always do it shake hands with the opponent.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Only 35 days till the Australian Open! :)

Only 35 days till the Australian Open! :)

Will Rafa be back? Was in Indo last week that he has come out saying he may compete but he won't be at peak fitness until April. I think he's dead right to go anyway; competitive matches are what brings back form and fitness you can do all you want on the training ground.

He may not be there at the business end but his eyes are only on one slam and that is the French. Playing at Melbourne will help him ease back better I think.

Can't wait for it though. 35 days really isn't long!

Aussie will give him a taste of GS action. It will be great prep for him before French Open.

He hasn't played the new Murray, complete with gold medal & Grand Slam. I wonder will Andy beat Nadal after the confidence boost of 2012.

Imagine if Djokovic wins the French Open...3 players in the space of 5 years would have completed the career Grand Slam. Impressive!!

Aussie will give him a taste of GS action. It will be great prep for him before French Open.

He hasn't played the new Murray, complete with gold medal & Grand Slam. I wonder will Andy beat Nadal after the confidence boost of 2012.

Imagine if Djokovic wins the French Open...3 players in the space of 5 years would have completed the career Grand Slam. Impressive!!

I guess the first meaningful clash they can potentially have will be Wimby (Nadal will demolish him in the FO if they meet!). I think Andy will be a demon there this year, but Rafa will be there with a point to prove and probably a 20th French Open just under his belt :pac:

There's a big chance they could meet in the final, given Novak is not as good on grass usually and Rog is a year older. Rafa generally kills Murray at Wimby but I think that's Andy's main goal this year. Something tells me he won't lose a second final in a row if he makes one.

Of course it all depends on Nadal's injury will he be even right to compete at his best?

Will be interesting seeing him at AO. Best of 5 won't be easy and could well go out in week one. Match practice is the best practice and it'll do him no harm. For the sake of tennis I hope he gets back to his best ASAP

Wouldn't rule Novak out of doing anything now his desire is insane. There'll be no-one more determined to win a RG!

Caroline Wozniacki is after creating some controversy after imitating Serena by stuffing towels down her vest and the back of her skirt. Loads of people calling her a racist; others saying it was a tasteless joke but not racist. You should see the messages people are leaving her on Facebook! Some are horrible!!

Personally, I don't see this as being racist- just a tad tasteless. Serena & Caro are friends off-court; I'm sure SW is too busy polishing her 50+ trophies & 4 gold medals to worry about this.

IIRC, Roddick & Djokovic have done impersonations of Serena before.

I wonder if the roles were reversed would there be as much up-roar. Thoughts?

• Advertisement

I wonder if the roles were reversed would there be as much up-roar. Thoughts?

As far as I can tell this all stems from a conversation they randomly decided to have on "The View" which is basically the US version of Loose Women. Lots of angry women ranting about things they have no idea about. Whoopi Goldberg asked "Why Serena though?" to which someone on my twitter time line replied "If she's imitated Melinda Czink nobody would have had a clue who she was doing."

Also a lot of angry people ranting about the stereotyping of the "black woman's body" and what not, to which you have to ask, isn't implying that all black women have the exact same body type slightly racist in itself?

A lot of the angry comments are coming from people who clearly pay no attention to tennis. There has been barely any mention of the fact that it was during an exhibition match, at an event I believe Serena was at too, that imitations of players are a regular occurance at such events, and as you pointed out, that Roddick and Djokovic have both done the same impression before.

I know that Serena, and Venus, and probably other lesser known black players have suffered racial abuse before (Indian Wells) and I'm sure they'll experience it again but I hate it when people jump on the racism band wagon at every tiny opportunity. As far as imitating players goes Serena doesn't have any real quirks during her play, like Sharapova's clenched fist, or Rafa's service routine, she is a recognizable player though and she's got a big backside. It's the most obvious feature to focus on if imitating her.

Maybe they should just stop doing them completely. I've seen exhibition matches where the players are basically forced to do them to entertain the crowd.

I do think though that Serena has to be aware of this storm and could end it very easily by tweeting something about it. She hasn't as of yet.

To me this is another case of extreme PC gone mad. If Serena feels this is racial bullying or whatever, fine, have a word with the WTA or whoever and I'm sure it will be sorted. If not, the rest of the world needs to stop fighting imaginary battles for people. It's getting to a point where you can't say or do anything to/about a person of different race to yourself without it being called racism. It's the opposite of progress as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement