Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Well said TME!

I think Djokovic stopped doing impersonations because people kept annoying him to "do Nadal/Sharapova/Agassi etc" all the time. Had to be done if he wanted to be taken seriously imo.

Everything done by players is put under the microscope, especially due to the prevalence of Twitter, Facebook and all them; someone will see them and post online (That's how I found out about Wozilroy). It's sometimes like people are trying creating negativity around people.

No word from Caro or Serena on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »
    Caroline Wozniacki is after creating some controversy after imitating Serena by stuffing towels down her vest and the back of her skirt. Loads of people calling her a racist; others saying it was a tasteless joke but not racist. You should see the messages people are leaving her on Facebook! Some are horrible!!

Personally, I don't see this as being racist- just a tad tasteless. Serena & Caro are friends off-court; I'm sure SW is too busy polishing her 50+ trophies & 4 gold medals to worry about this.

IIRC, Roddick & Djokovic have done impersonations of Serena before.

I wonder if the roles were reversed would there be as much up-roar. Thoughts?

Just took a look there. Wow. There are far too many stupid people in the world.

We need a new plague.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Andy finished 3rd in SPOTY. Was obvious he didn't win when he was in Miami. Same with McIlroy.

Any other year he'd probably have won. Olympics were always going to be top this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Andy finished 3rd in SPOTY. Was obvious he didn't win when he was in Miami. Same with McIlroy.

Any other year he'd probably have won. Olympics were always going to be top this year.

Yeah even if he was there he probably wouldn't have beaten Wiggins and Ennis. Ennis is incredibly popular though I'd have had Mo ahead of her myself.

Andy needed to win Wimbledon really.

Federer got nominated for overseas player I read earlier. Goes to show it's all about W'don really... He wasn't even best overseas tennis player but I guess it was a funny enough season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Presumably they wouldn't have known in advance who was going to win as the vote happened during the show, and they were hardly going to rig it

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Presumably they wouldn't have known in advance who was going to win as the vote happened during the show, and they were hardly going to rig it

They clearly had some idea as they had an award out in Miami ready to give to Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

They clearly had some idea as they had an award out in Miami ready to give to Murray.

They probably had all 3 out there realising he was almost certainly going to be in the Top 3

Wiggins was a shoo-in this year imo. 2012 was amazing for him- won the Tour de France, Paris-Nice tourney, Tour de Romandie, Criterium de Dauphine & Olympic gold in time trail. Murray would have had to win Wimbledon to beat him.

Nice to see tennis get a trophy though; no player has been in the top 3 since 1997 (Henman).

I reckon they have prop trophies that they give to nominees who are in training or unavailable. Then if they win, give the real trophy to a family member or something.

Do they also send a camera crew and presenter to everyone who's not available too? I don't know. Maybe they've gone off the bookies odds or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wiggins got so much of the hype/media attention that it had to help. Comes across as quite irritating and up his own ar%$. But, folks must like him. I thought Ennis and Mo would figure as possible winners. Mo not in the top three was odd. Murray beating him to it.

As mentioned, had Andy won Wimbledon I think that would have done it.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Wiggins got so much of the hype/media attention that it had to help. Comes across as quite irritating and up his own ar%$. But, folks must like him. I thought Ennis and Mo would figure as possible winners. Mo not in the top three was odd. Murray beating him to it.

I don'[t think he comes across any worse than Murray to be fair.

I think relatively speaking, they all had gold medals, they all won a major, but Wiggins had such an unbelievable run of form going into the TDF also that this probably swayed it for him. That and being the first ever British winner I'd say.

walshb wrote: »

There was a lot of talk about Murray being nominated despite having no personality, and at least Wiggins has a personality and blah blah blah.... Personally I think Wiggins is a tit, sure his achievements stand regardless but he's a pain in the hole as far as I can see. Of the top 3 Jess Ennis probably has the nicest actual personality.

Nadal out of Doha and Aus Open! Says stomach virus has halted his rehabilitation, but it's all a bit odd. There's still the best part of a month before Aus Open.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nadal out of Doha and Aus Open! Says stomach virus has halted his rehabilitation, but it's all a bit odd. There's still the best part of a month before Aus Open.

Very odd indeed.

I bet Andy is secretly delighted though :D

Very odd indeed.

I bet Andy is secretly delighted though :D

I don't know, it means he'll probably slip down the rankings a bit, could be a QF opponent for one of the top 3 at RG! Not what any of them would want, I'm sure.

There's lots of speculation flying around that he's using the virus as an excuse, that he's trying to avoid playing on hard courts at all anymore, that he won't actually come back until clay season, etc. etc. But sure that would mean pretty much playing for a little over a month then having to try to get out of the post Wimbledon swing too.

EDIT: Apparently today is like the Spanish equivalent of April Fools Day, or something, so a lot of things coming out of Spain today are to be taken with a pinch of salt. However, Rafa called a presser and it's been confirmed by the Aus Open themselves, so this one looks legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Im pretty confident andy murray will win one or maybe two grand slams this year. Maybe he can avenge his Wimbleton defeat of last year. He may start off the yaer slowly imo due to the heights of last year

I think Nadal will drop out of the top 4 now that he'll miss Australian Open. First time since 2005 apparently! If he defends his clay season points and stays No.4 for Roland Garros he could be a SF opponent for Djokovic or Federer (if their ranking stays the same).

Makes sense not to come back until the clay court season imo; the surface would be softer on his knees.

Dunno if people have seen the ads or not, but it looks like Eurosport will be showing WTA tennis this year after all. They've been advertising the impending coverage as "all season long", so it's looking good :):)

Also, Brisbane draw is out! A packed field, it should be a really good week of tennis. That was a really short off season :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Brisbane_International_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_Singles

Good win for Tomic over Haas in the Hopman Cup. Haas was up 6-1 in first set TB, lost it. Then up a break in the 3rd, served for the match, got broken, then got broken while serving to stay in it!
    Quite a thing to choke against Tomic who spent most of last year making no effort what so ever.

Sad news for Andrea Petkovic though who had to retire from her match at Hopman Cup with a knee injury. Poor girl just has the worst luck. Hope it's nothing too serious, it's been almost a full year now since she played properly.

Petko looked so promising at the U.S. Open in 2011 then just got a horrid string of injuries. What crappy luck!! Hope the scan on her knee is clear and she can climb back up the rankings in 2013.

Andy Murray will be awarded an OBE in the New Year for his services to tennis.:) If he wins Wimbledon in the future, I'm sure he'll nab a knighthood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    Andy Murray will be awarded an OBE in the New Year for his services to tennis.:) If he wins Wimbledon in the future, I'm sure he'll nab a knighthood.

And maybe even more important than that, BBC Sports personality of the year:pac:

Edit: Just noticed the 2013 In Between... thread.

Advertisement