Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yay, Tsonga has finally qualified for London :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Tox56 wrote: »
    Murray shock early exit from Queens... reaches final at Wimbledon.

Murray shock early exit from Cincinnati... wins US Open

Murray shock early exit from Paris... ????

*ominous music* We must stay tuned to find out!:)

Re: Bubka fall, according to the Telegraph he sustained multiple fractures. He was locked in the bathroom and tried to get out the window then slipped. Lucky he wasn't more seriously injured.Source

Yay, Tsonga has finally qualified for London :):)

If he wins the Bercy does that put him ahead of JMDP?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I switched on yesterday and saw Murray's highlights. I saw him serving for the match and just knew he'd blow it. And, he did. Seems to always do it.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to London on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

More seeds gone today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Berdych did not seem that interested today, dunno why, its not as he is going to win next week?

Also Tipsy retiring just when his opponent was about to win is not classy but he has a history of this, one of the most obnoxious players on the circuit whose popularity is baffling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Also Tipsy retiring just when his opponent was about to win is not classy but he has a history of this, one of the most obnoxious players on the circuit whose popularity is baffling.

I don't understand Tipsy at all. When he's interviewed he's very articulate, very smart, seems like a nice guy. Then he shoots his mouth off about women not deserving equal pay because they don't make as much effort, or calls the trainer in the middle of a game (vs Ferrer US Open) or quits just a few points from losing. Hateful little ****e bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I recall him last year in a final against Seppi moaning non-stop about light and just when Seppi was serving and had match point to clinch his first title, Tipsarevic retired. Really petty from him and of course there was the US Open incident against Ferrer. He also was involved in a very suspicious tennis match a few years against Zeballos from a betting viewpoint. I don’t like the guy at all.

Ferrer on the other hand was excellent against Tsonga, a model professional indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Players retiring is very annoying from a betting perspective too, voids them all

Ferrer on the other hand was excellent against Tsonga, a model professional indeed.

Yes, Thank God for Ferrer this week, probably the only one of the top players giving 100%. If he makes it to the final he'll give 100% there and he'll go to London and give 100%. A model professional. Hard to believe he's never won a Masters. It's his to lose now, but I will track down and slap any media types who dismiss it because of none of the top 4 being there.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping for a Ferrer win in Paris. He completely deserves it!! I can't remember any player being so tough to break down at practically every single tournament. The man does not know when he's beat. He comes across as the consummate professional and someone who thoroughly enjoys what he does. Got loads of respect for Daveeeed. Ferrer is a great model for any young player out there. *cough* take note Tomic *cough*

Fed Cup Final kicks off tomorrow. Czech Rep. vs. Serbia. Czechs are in their 2nd consecutive final and this is Serbia's first. Kvitova has been passed as fit, although i doubt she's 100%. Playing first it's Ivanovic vs. Safarova, followed by Jankovic vs. Kvitova. Reverse singles on Sunday then the doubles- Jovanovski/Krunic vs. Hlavackova/Hradecka.

Not really sure who will win. I'm quite fond of both teams. My slight favourite to win would be Serbia, just because I like those rising up from ashes/first timers stories. Very Rocky!:)

Ferrer in any other era could well have been a slam champion a few times over. Very dogged. Nothing singularly spectacular about him. He's a complete package. Very good and fast feet. Very good shot variation. He looks weak, and even plays "weak," but he is still winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I recall him last year in a final against Seppi moaning non-stop about light and just when Seppi was serving and had match point to clinch his first title, Tipsarevic retired. Really petty from him and of course there was the US Open incident against Ferrer. He also was involved in a very suspicious tennis match a few years against Zeballos from a betting viewpoint. I don’t like the guy at all.

Aye ferrer is a great guy who just gets on with his game without fuss.. Awful to play against!

Model pro? Maybe if he quit the fags :p:D

Simon beaten in straight sets. Bit of a sickener for the home crowd. This has to be Ferrer's title.

Draw for London made.

Group A: Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Berdych
    Group B: Federer, Ferrer, Delpo, Tipsy.

Would like Tsonga, Berdych, Delpo and Ferrer in the SF's. Highly unlikely though :(

Jerzy Janowicz into the finals in Paris. Amazing story, could end the year top 25 after being 221 and not able to afford flights to Melbourne at the start of the year. Hopefully Daveed beats Llodra now too and then wins tomorrow. Think runner up at Masters event would be more than enough for JJ :)

Draw for London made.

Group A: Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Berdych
    Group B: Federer, Ferrer, Delpo, Tipsy.

Would like Tsonga, Berdych, Delpo and Ferrer in the SF's. Highly unlikely though :(

Jerzy Janowicz into the finals in Paris. Amazing story, could end the year top 25 after being 221 and not able to afford flights to Melbourne at the start of the year. Hopefully Daveed beats Llodra now too and then wins tomorrow. Think runner up at Masters event would be more than enough for JJ :)
    Lucky for fed anyway!!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Lucky for fed anyway!!

Yeah, "lucky" if that's what you want to call it. :mad:

Yeah, "lucky" if that's what you want to call it. :mad:
    Guess anything can happen in this though... End of a long season and all that

Only 1 top 4 guy made semi last year iirc

Serbia has a mountain to climb if they want to win their first Fed Cup after tasting defeat in the opening 2 matches. Ivanovic fell to Safarova in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, whereas Jankovic was beaten 6-4, 6-1 by Kvitova.

Reverse singles and the doubles match tomorrow. Coverage is on Eurosport.

BBC2 will be showing coverage of the ATP Finals starting Monday.

Guess anything can happen in this though... End of a long season and all that

Only 1 top 4 guy made semi last year iirc

Yeah, Murray pulled out after 1 match. Rafa was sick, and Djokovic wanted to go on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If anyone is interested, ESPN classic will be showing an exhibition match between Venus & Serena tomorrow at midday :)
    They'll also show the Sofia final later in the day.

Ivanovic just beat Kvitova to keep this Fed Cup final alive a little bit longer. Even if JJ can beat Safarova it's highly unlikely the Silent H's will lose the doubles. I'd still put my money on the Czech's.

Safarova wraps it up for the Czechs, beats JJ 6-1, 6-1. Amazing performance from her all week. Nice to see after she lost both matches last year. Feel bad for JJ, she's led that Serbian team for years but will probably get all the blame for the loss.

Daveed serving for the title in Paris. Janowicz just couldn't keep his run going. 8 matches in 9 days though, great week for him. Very happy for Daveeed. About time he got a big one :D

EDIT: Great runner up speech from Jerzy. Has been sleeping in his car during challengers this year, get's a nice big pay check for this week and will be seeded at Aus Open. Amazing.

Daveed is very close to Rafa in the rankings now. He has a lot to defend next week but if Rafa isn't back until Australia it's very possible Daveed could pass him.

TME can Ferrer possibly pass out Rafa before Australia?

Really, really hope not!

Rafa as 5th seed could be disastrous. Really not fair on top 3 either having a 1/4 chance of playing Nadal before the semis. If it were the case surely they would see sense and offer Rafa seeding number 4? He is an infintely better player than Ferrer. To be fair Ferrer has been playing very well since Rafa got injured! Delighted to see him win a masters event too

ATP tour finals

Day 1

Murray v Berdych

Murray will probably be all out here to play to the home crowd who will be out in force to support him after his superb recent few months. Wouldn't surprise me if Berdych had a nice rest on his mind!

Murray in 2

Tsonga v Djokovic

Tsonga has been slightly off colour of recent. What will Nole's commitment be like? Could be an entertaining 3 setter. Nole to shade it

Djok in 3

When is the rest of the schedule released?

TME can Ferrer possibly pass out Rafa before Australia?

Really, really hope not!

It really depends on when exactly Rafa comes back. Uncle Toni apparently "confirmed" today that he'll play Abu Dhabi at the end of December, but Rafa himself has named a few different dates for his comeback.

Ferrer has to make it to the final in London to gain any real points as he made it to SF last year. Or win all 3 of his RR matches. Start of next year he's got Aukland 250 to defend and that's it before Aus Open.

Rafa's got a QF in Qatar to defend before Aus and not a lot from London this week because he lost both matches he played last year.

So yeah, it really depends on when exactly Rafa comes back and what Ferrer's schedule is like at the start of the year. I would say unlikely before Aus.

When is the rest of the schedule released?

Day 2:

Federer v Tisarevic 13:45

Delpo v Ferrer 19:45

• Advertisement

Day 2:

Federer v Tisarevic 13:45

Delpo v Ferrer 19:45

Sorry I knew that, I meant the rest of the weeks games.

I'm over at it on Saturday so I'm trying to find out who I'll see. I'm guessing this group but not sure of the matches.

Advertisement