Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Definitely. However I can see Roger fading slightly.

I reckon we'll have 3 slam winners anyway, with Rafa winning RG, Murray WImby and Djok/Murray left fighting out the other two!

Of course it would be silly to write off Fed but I just can't see it. His only hope at all is sw19 where Nole isn't quite as good

I wouldn't write a fit Nadal off in the other 3. He has shown time and time again that he handles Murray at least 66% of the time and almost invariably in the Slams. I think it's no coincidence that with Nadal out, Murray has started to win titles.

Nadal is the only player with winning head to heads vs Fed (18-10), Novak (19-14) and Murray (13-5).

I do agree about Fed, I can see him waning slightly in the next 12 months but he'll still be competitive in the Slams IMO. I was saying this to a friend last night though, if he has a bad outing in Australia and France then he will still be confident of doing well at Wimbledon, but if he has a bad Wimbledon then I can see him giving it up. As soon as he starts to decline he'll give it up as he has nothing left to prove to himself or anyone else. Like him or loathe him, tennis will hugely miss him so I hope it's a battle between the big 4 next year. We have always had 2, Rafa-Roger, then Rafa-Novak, now Novak-Murray. It would be nice to properly have 3 or 4 at the one time all on top form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I wouldn't write a fit Nadal off in the other 3. He has shown time and time again that he handles Murray at least 66% of the time and almost invariably in the Slams. I think it's no coincidence that with Nadal out, Murray has started to win titles.

Nadal is the only player with winning head to heads vs Fed (18-10), Novak (19-14) and Murray (13-5).

I do agree about Fed, I can see him waning slightly in the next 12 months but he'll still be competitive in the Slams IMO. I was saying this to a friend last night though, if he has a bad outing in Australia and France then he will still be confident of doing well at Wimbledon, but if he has a bad Wimbledon then I can see him giving it up. As soon as he starts to decline he'll give it up as he has nothing left to prove to himself or anyone else. Like him or loathe him, tennis will hugely miss him so I hope it's a battle between the big 4 next year. We have always had 2, Rafa-Roger, then Rafa-Novak, now Novak-Murray. It would be nice to properly have 3 or 4 at the one time all on top form.

People keep going on about Rafa not being there and Murray capitallising but Rafa was on the opposite side of the draw so it made no difference. If there was anyone Murray was going to be confident of beating in a slam final it would have been Rafa anyway cos he'd beaten him twice in slams already. He never beat the other two.

Nadal may not even play AO and even if he does he won't have near enough done to trouble the top 3. A quarter would probably be the best he could hope for. Nadal got completely outpowered at sw19 last year, I wonder could that be enough to teach the likes of Tsonga, Berdych, Delpo that you just have to bloody go for shots v Nadal?

Either way I think it'll be Murray's year at Wimbledon. After the AO I'd say he'll secretly be putting everything into that and essentially writing off the FO. He beat Fed at the olympic final and definitely has the edge over Djok on grass, as does Federer still I'd say!

Would surprise me if Nole didn't win back his US then. He has the measure of Rafa all day long on hard and I wouldn't be surprised if Murray now has to

People keep going on about Rafa not being there and Murray capitallising but Rafa was on the opposite side of the draw so it made no difference. If there was anyone Murray was going to be confident of beating in a slam final it would have been Rafa anyway cos he'd beaten him twice in slams already. He never beat the other two.

They weren't in the other side though. They were meeting in the semis consistently until this year. 2011 they met at 3 of the 4 semis and Rafa won each and every time rather easily as GS semis go. They haven't met since. Murray has a winning record vs Fed (10-8) and a razor close losing one with Novak (7-9) which has only become a losing one since Shanghai. His record against Rafa is atrocious (5-13) - to say he'd be more confident because he has a 2-6 record against him at Slams surely a bit of a stretch? I know you're clearly a huge Murray fan but let's keep ourselves in check here, before we can declare next year a formality he has yet to show long term consistency to win repeat slams, and none of us can know until he does it. It was a running joke for a long time that Murray only beats Rafa when Rafa isn't moving at his best. I have yet to see him beat a fit and firing Nadal and prove otherwise. That's not me taking anything away from him, that's my genuine observation. I think Murray is better vs the other 2 than against Nadal. Nadal is his achilles heel and until he shows us otherwise the question will remain - can he win a Slam when he has to go through 2 of them, rather than just 1.

Nadal may not even play AO and even if he does he won't have near enough done to trouble the top 3. A quarter would probably be the best he could hope for. Nadal got completely outpowered at sw19 last year, I wonder could that be enough to teach the likes of Tsonga, Berdych, Delpo that you just have to bloody go for shots v Nadal?

If it were as simple as "just go for it" they'd all beat him. Tsonga did that to him in 2009 too. These are freak instances not the norm. 9/10 times when you play with the reckless abandon that Rosol/Tsonga played with those days, you miss. They clobbered everything and got everything land their way. It's hit and hope tennis. When it comes off you look like a God, but when more often than not it doesn't, you lose in straight sets. Even at that it went to 5 sets, and that;s possibly the best Rosol will ever play! I'm really astonished you've said that. Rosol had one of those miracle days where everything he hit hard went in. He went out in the next round and likely will never be heard from again. And Nadal hasn't hit a ball since so it wasn't exactly prime Rafa! Do you honestly think if they play again when both fit the result would just be the same if Rosol "just goes for it"? Seriously?

Either way I think it'll be Murray's year at Wimbledon. After the AO I'd say he'll secretly be putting everything into that and essentially writing off the FO. He beat Fed at the olympic final and definitely has the edge over Djok on grass, as does Federer still I'd say!

Would surprise me if Nole didn't win back his US then. He has the measure of Rafa all day long on hard and I wouldn't be surprised if Murray now has to

It's impossible to predict Wimbledon in November the previous year. None of the Slams are going to be straightforward 2 horse races if everyone is fit and firing. Not even RG. Murray won the Olympics and US, when he was playing in a zone that is very very difficult to maintain. All credit to him, at the Olympics he played like a deranged lunatic who could only see a gold medal in his sights! And he brought that into FM. Hats off to him, he was unbelievably good but that obsessive focus is VERY difficult to keep up. He's in the zone that Djoker was in in 2011. It's a very difficult focused mindset (look at Novaks showing at London last year for example - he was checked out mentally), bordering on obsession, to maintain. Murray hasn't shown that he can maintain that yet. In fact, despite your proclaiming that he will beat Nole in 2 he has lost the next 2 big matches he's played since the US to Nole so maybe he's already reverted back to the "human" mentality from the out of this world mentality he had July-September. We need to see how the winter break affects him. You never know he could have put so much into the 2nd half of this season that when he stops he finds it hard to start again, who knows? I've no doubt it is exhausting to keep up. It's like a boxer, driven by pain, eventually runs out of fight. Murray was clearly fueled by the disappointment of the Wimbledon loss, and has to battle like a maniac to beat the big 3, he never really just puts them away, so what happens when that fight starts to wane?

All I will say for sure about next season is that, whilst I have no idea how it will go, and would likely be very wrong with a prediction of outcomes, I will say that if Rafa, Roger, Novak and Murray are all fit and playing at their best level, we are in for a super year, possibly the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I wouldn't say Murray has regressed as you are implying in those 2 matches since the US Open where he lost to Djokovic. Like the US Open final they were matches that could easily have gone either way, and it's a cliché but it really was only 2 or 3 points that made the difference.

Murray could easily have lost the US Open final and won both the two matches against Djokovic since that, there really wasn't much in it.

Yes he will have a bit of a come down after that win, but he played well in those 2 matches.

That's the thing, I haven't said he didn't play well. He's still playing extremely well. But he wins the US and now suddenly he's pretty much a shoe in for 3 of the 4 slams next year? I'm merely saying that people need to look at this all a little more objectively, which you are, as you said, he could just as easily have lost the US Open Final. He hasn't become untouchable all of a sudden. But there was a noticeable difference in him in terms of his mentality and focus which is unsustainable. That's all I'm saying.

His biggest problem was that he was always capable of beating one of the 3 in a Slam, but came undone needing to do it twice. He has gone and won one now that he hasn't needed to do that. I still think it's a legitimate question mark when he needs to beat the big dogs twice in 3 days to win. Can he do it? We'll find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

That's the thing, I haven't said he didn't play well. He's still playing extremely well. But he wins the US and now suddenly he's pretty much a shoe in for 3 of the 4 slams next year? I'm merely saying that people need to look at this all a little more objectively, which you are, as you said, he could just as easily have lost the US Open Final. He hasn't become untouchable all of a sudden. But there was a noticeable difference in him in terms of his mentality and focus which is unsustainable. That's all I'm saying.

His biggest problem was that he was always capable of beating one of the 3 in a Slam, but came undone needing to do it twice. He has gone and won one now that he hasn't needed to do that. I still think it's a legitimate question mark when he needs to beat the big dogs twice in 3 days to win. Can he do it? We'll find out.

I think you're going too far in the other direction. OK Murray isn't a shoe in for 3 of the 4 slams next year, but I think you were being overly negative in your last post:
    Murray hasn't shown that he can maintain that yet. In fact, despite your proclaiming that he will beat Nole in 2 he has lost the next 2 big matches he's played since the US to Nole so maybe he's already reverted back to the "human" mentality from the out of this world mentality he had July-September

I think Murray stepped his game up in the latter part of last year, but I don't think there was a sudden incredible improvement in the second half of the year. He pushed Djokovic just as far in the Australian Open semi as he did in the US Open final.

A few more points went his way in the US Open Final than they did in the Wimbledon final or in any other big games, and although he certainly improved last year, I don't think it was a sudden remarkable improvement in his form, and I definitely don't think it's unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That's the thing, I haven't said he didn't play well. He's still playing extremely well. But he wins the US and now suddenly he's pretty much a shoe in for 3 of the 4 slams next year? .

I don't think anyone really believes he is a shoe in. I think he can win 3 slams next year, but so can the other three. That is how competitive it is.

In order: Murray/Novak/Federer/Nadal. Murray to me presents the best chance of 3 slams in 2013, followed ever ever so closely by Novak. Federer is an outside shot, and Nadal a little further outside.

Novak and Murray are almost neck and neck here. I know Novak beat Murray twice in the last few weeks, but I still think Andy's game is perfect for beating Novak over 5 sets. Novak's game is also perfect for beating Murray. My head is fried!:P

They weren't in the other side though. They were meeting in the semis consistently until this year. 2011 they met at 3 of the 4 semis and Rafa won each and every time rather easily as GS semis go. They haven't met since. Murray has a winning record vs Fed (10-8) and a razor close losing one with Novak (7-9) which has only become a losing one since Shanghai. His record against Rafa is atrocious (5-13) - to say he'd be more confident because he has a 2-6 record against him at Slams surely a bit of a stretch? I know you're clearly a huge Murray fan but let's keep ourselves in check here, before we can declare next year a formality he has yet to show long term consistency to win repeat slams, and none of us can know until he does it. It was a running joke for a long time that Murray only beats Rafa when Rafa isn't moving at his best. I have yet to see him beat a fit and firing Nadal and prove otherwise. That's not me taking anything away from him, that's my genuine observation. I think Murray is better vs the other 2 than against Nadal. Nadal is his achilles heel and until he shows us otherwise the question will remain - can he win a Slam when he has to go through 2 of them, rather than just 1.

If it were as simple as "just go for it" they'd all beat him. Tsonga did that to him in 2009 too. These are freak instances not the norm. 9/10 times when you play with the reckless abandon that Rosol/Tsonga played with those days, you miss. They clobbered everything and got everything land their way. It's hit and hope tennis. When it comes off you look like a God, but when more often than not it doesn't, you lose in straight sets. Even at that it went to 5 sets, and that;s possibly the best Rosol will ever play! I'm really astonished you've said that. Rosol had one of those miracle days where everything he hit hard went in. He went out in the next round and likely will never be heard from again. And Nadal hasn't hit a ball since so it wasn't exactly prime Rafa! Do you honestly think if they play again when both fit the result would just be the same if Rosol "just goes for it"? Seriously?

It's impossible to predict Wimbledon in November the previous year. None of the Slams are going to be straightforward 2 horse races if everyone is fit and firing. Not even RG. Murray won the Olympics and US, when he was playing in a zone that is very very difficult to maintain. All credit to him, at the Olympics he played like a deranged lunatic who could only see a gold medal in his sights! And he brought that into FM. Hats off to him, he was unbelievably good but that obsessive focus is VERY difficult to keep up. He's in the zone that Djoker was in in 2011. It's a very difficult focused mindset (look at Novaks showing at London last year for example - he was checked out mentally), bordering on obsession, to maintain. Murray hasn't shown that he can maintain that yet. In fact, despite your proclaiming that he will beat Nole in 2 he has lost the next 2 big matches he's played since the US to Nole so maybe he's already reverted back to the "human" mentality from the out of this world mentality he had July-September. We need to see how the winter break affects him. You never know he could have put so much into the 2nd half of this season that when he stops he finds it hard to start again, who knows? I've no doubt it is exhausting to keep up. It's like a boxer, driven by pain, eventually runs out of fight. Murray was clearly fueled by the disappointment of the Wimbledon loss, and has to battle like a maniac to beat the big 3, he never really just puts them away, so what happens when that fight starts to wane?

All I will say for sure about next season is that, whilst I have no idea how it will go, and would likely be very wrong with a prediction of outcomes, I will say that if Rafa, Roger, Novak and Murray are all fit and playing at their best level, we are in for a super year, possibly the best ever.

Point 1- They were in opposite sides. Rafa was third seed and Andy was 4th. They couldn't meet until the final arggh :) Either way Nole would probably have beaten Rafa anyway (he's a better hard courter). So Nadal pulling out made no difference. Ok. That is that

Previously Murray just rolled over v Nadal. Yes Nadal was the better player but he just killed Andy who should have pushed him more but it didn't happen. In Wimby 11 Andy should have been 2 sets up but he misses an open court forehand and Nadal punishes. I've a feeling Andy won't be so respectful to Rafa in future and I believe Andy can become a slightly better player (nowhere near on clay mind). They're besties which didn't help Murray imo, yet to be fair it didn't hold Rafa back.

My point was that after losing 4 slam finals, we all would have preferred Andy to meet Rafa the most in the next final as he was the only one he'd beaten out of the three in a GS. That's what I was saying :)

Point 2- You've picked me up wrong here. My point was that Rosol beating Rafa will no doubt give these players confidence to know that he can be beaten when you just go for your shots. Of course they have to come off! Berdych bossed him for two sets at AO doing it. They've been too passive v Nadal in the past and indeed v the other big three you could argue.

Rosol wouldn't be good enough to consistently play that well again so no I don't think he'd beat Rafa again ;) but my point is far superior players like Berdych and Delpo may now actually believe they can

Point 3- Indeed so much can happen between now and June. It's no harm to have a little prediction though?

I just can't agree with your points here on Murray though but to be fair Tox and Walsh have made very valid points on the matter so there's no point in repeating it. I'll just say that he's a far better player now than 2011 and I think he can definitely carry that into 2013 especially with the slam under his belt. Lets hope it is as good as you say, eh? :) we could be in for a treat

First things first anyway, AO. Toss up between Djok and Murray imo with Muzza shading it... Just. Two horse race me feels

EDITED cos made a complete hash of initial reply sorry :p

BIB 1- this is completely putting words in my mouth. I give 4 honest slam predictions. I never said he was a shoe in

BIB 2- It's not his fault Berdych outclassed Fed. Didn't he beat the big 2 at Olympics?

Look we'll probably have to agree to disagree :p If I'm honest I think you're letting your dislike for Murray get in the way a bit too much when giving opinions. You're entitled to them of course! I'm probably the same for Rafa though I try not to be :P We're only human ;) Honestly hope he's back for AO though, I daresay I'm missing him... :eek:

Point 1- They were in opposite sides. Rafa was third seed and Andy was 4th. They couldn't meet until the final arggh :) Either way Nole would probably have beaten Rafa anyway (he's a better hard courter). So Nadal pulling out made no difference. Ok. That is that

Previously Murray just rolled over v Nadal. Yes Nadal was the better player but he just killed Andy who should have pushed him more but it didn't happen. In Wimby 11 Andy should have been 2 sets up but he misses an open court forehand and Nadal punishes. I've a feeling Andy won't be so respectful to Rafa in future and I believe Andy can become a slightly better player (nowhere near on clay mind). They're besties which didn't help Murray imo, yet to be fair it didn't hold Rafa back.

My point was that after losing 4 slam finals, we all would have preferred Andy to meet Rafa the most in the next final as he was the only one he'd beaten out of the three in a GS. That's what I was saying :)

Point 2- You've picked me up wrong here. My point was that Rosol beating Rafa will no doubt give these players confidence to know that he can be beaten when you just go for your shots. Of course they have to come off! Berdych bossed him for two sets at AO doing it. They've been too passive v Nadal in the past and indeed v the other big three you could argue.

Rosol wouldn't be good enough to consistently play that well again so no I don't think he'd beat Rafa again ;) but my point is far superior players like Berdych and Delpo may now actually believe they can

Point 3- Indeed so much can happen between now and June. It's no harm to have a little prediction though?

I just can't agree with your points here on Murray though but to be fair Tox and Walsh have made very valid points on the matter so there's no point in repeating it. I'll just say that he's a far better player now than 2011 and I think he can definitely carry that into 2013 especially with the slam under his belt. Lets hope it is as good as you say, eh? :) we could be in for a treat

First things first anyway, AO. Toss up between Djok and Murray imo with Muzza shading it... Just. Two horse race me feels

EDITED cos made a complete hash of initial reply sorry :p

Indeed, and don't get me wrong, I completely respect your opinion even the parts I don't necessarily agree with!

Predictions wise, I can't disagree with your assertion of AO being a toss up between those 2. However, are they currently tracking towards being 1 and 3 seeds or 1 and 2? I think that makes a difference, whether they meet in the semi or the final.

For me the 2 certainties are that Murray and Djokovic will be there or thereabouts in all of the slams (except perhaps in France as Murray is noticeably weaker on clay than Nadal, Djokovic, Federer and Ferrer). The variables are whether Nadal comes back and rediscovers his best game, and if father time eventually catches up on Federer or will his Agassi-esque longevity continue? Also, who, if anyone, can break that fortress at the top? Del Potro maybe is the best bet. I always felt that he can be as good as any of them if he hadn't have been floored by injuries not long after winning the US Open. It certainly won't be Tomic anyway. :rolleyes:
    BIB 1- this is completely putting words in my mouth. I give 4 honest slam predictions. I never said he was a shoe in

BIB 2- It's not his fault Berdych outclassed Fed. Didn't he beat the big 2 at Olympics?

Look we'll probably have to agree to disagree :p If I'm honest I think you're letting your dislike for Murray get in the way a bit too much when giving opinions. You're entitled to them of course! I'm probably the same for Rafa though I try not to be :P We're only human ;) Honestly hope he's back for AO though, I daresay I'm missing him... :eek:

I apologise if it comes across that way, but your posts do imply quite blasé that all he needs to do is turn up! I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, and if I have misunderstood you then I apologise.

He did beat the big 2. I questioned can he CONSISTENTLY do it. He has struggled in the past, heroic semi final win followed by disappointing final defeat. My main thing, and all I've really been trying to say is that one GS win doesn't suddenly remove all doubt about him.

I agree with that re agreeing to disagree! On that, I am a big Rafa fan, but I don't take soccer manners to tennis, I don't hate any players, not even Murray! (though I really don't like his mum!). I do conversely feel that you, on the same hand, allow your "like" for Murray to cloud your judgement also! We're all guilty of bias unfortunately, human nature :o Should make for some interesting debates anyway! :)

Yep, I think tennis misses its stars! Hence, despite my spending a lot of his career rooting against him, I do dread the day Federer retires!

• Advertisement

Not sure about you guys but Nadal's continued absence I feel will hurt him, and benefit the others. Nadal is such a power and aggressive player. He plays each point like it's the last, and in doing so he throws his body into places it shouldn't go. Nadal on form is a real nightmare for Murray, but I think a great point was made by cgpg5:

"I've a feeling Andy won't be so respectful to Rafa in future and I believe Andy can become a slightly better player (nowhere near on clay mind). They're besties which didn't help Murray imo, yet to be fair it didn't hold Rafa back."

Andy seems to me to be improving, and with Nadal injured I cannot see a stronger Nadal returning in 2013.

It's very possible and again emphasizes, 2013 could be the greatest year of the open era in terms of potentially having 4 guys who are all at the absolute peak of their games with nothing between them. Albeit 2 of them will need to manage their schedules but in the Slams it could be down to a hairline. We've had all of them win a slam this year, next year could be even better.

Fed doin' the business in London!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure about you guys but Nadal's continued absence I feel will hurt him, and benefit the others. Nadal is such a power and aggressive player. He plays each point like it's the last, and in doing so he throws his body into places it shouldn't go. Nadal on form is a real nightmare for Murray, but I think a great point was made by cgpg5:

"I've a feeling Andy won't be so respectful to Rafa in future and I believe Andy can become a slightly better player (nowhere near on clay mind). They're besties which didn't help Murray imo, yet to be fair it didn't hold Rafa back."

Andy seems to me to be improving, and with Nadal injured I cannot see a stronger Nadal returning in 2013.

Back in the day, Rafa used to play every match as if it were a Grand Slam Final, his dodgy knees will not allow him to do that anymore however. Next year I expect him to still be a threat at the Slams, but he will play everything else in second gear, he has a lot of losses to players like Mayer, Garcia Lopez etc in non slam competitions, expect that to continue and he will be very choosy in what he plays in.

Fed wins the second set and the match!

ferrer was well able for Fed today nothing in it! If Delpo beats Fed tomorrow, Daveed will probably go out :( Unlikely you'd imagine...

Fed is thru and that may see him take the foot slightly off the gas. DelPotro needs a win and will be so up for it. He also has a good record vs. Federer, and I think he beat him in Basel, didn't he?

Nole on the rampage!

Great effort by tsonga in second set but too little too late and you always felt andy had another gear in him

Watched Nole earlier saved 3 set points. Demon

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm really disappointed with this years WTF's. There hasn't been one good singles match so far. Doubles have been excellent though :)

If Delpo doesn't qualify tomorrow I'm done with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been asked, but why is the final on a Monday this year? And why are BBC not showing it :(:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been asked, but why is the final on a Monday this year? And why are BBC not showing it :(:(

The ATP players wanted a longer off season so they moved the WTF's forward a week meaning that if they played Sunday to Sunday it would start the day of the Paris final. So they have it Monday to Monday instead. Talk of moving Paris to February, so in that case it would probably go back to Sunday - Sunday.

I'm sure if Murray gets to the final BBC will bump something to show it.

You'd think if they wanted a longer break they wouldn't play that silly exhibition tournament in Doha at the end of December, but I guess they get payed a lot for that.

On bbc3 I think. I'd say if Murray is on it'll be changed to bbc one or two alright though

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The ATP players wanted a longer off season so they moved the WTF's forward a week meaning that if they played Sunday to Sunday it would start the day of the Paris final. So they have it Monday to Monday instead. Talk of moving Paris to February, so in that case it would probably go back to Sunday - Sunday.

I'm sure if Murray gets to the final BBC will bump something to show it.

You'd think if they wanted a longer break they wouldn't play that silly exhibition tournament in Doha at the end of December, but I guess they get payed a lot for that.
    On bbc3 I think. I'd say if Murray is on it'll be changed to bbc one or two alright though
    Thanks a million both of ye :)

Fed's error count today was 42. Twice now in recent weeks that DelPotro beats him. Looks like DlPotro will top the group. I expect Ferrer to beat Tipsy. So, Fed will met Djok in the semis.

walshb wrote: »
    Fed's error count today was 42. Twice now in recent weeks that DelPotro beats him. Looks like DlPotro will top the group. I expect Ferrer to beat Tipsy. So, Fed will met Djok in the semis.
    I've done the maths in my head and am nearly certain that if ferrer wins tonight which he will, fed will top the group. Winning a set today was enough

I've done the maths in my head and am nearly certain that if ferrer wins tonight which he will, fed will top the group. Winning a set today was enough

Well, seeing as the pundits on SS today had no real clue I will put my faith in you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm really disappointed with this years WTF's. There hasn't been one good singles match so far. Doubles have been excellent though :)

Its been very poor allright.
    Has anyone seen the price of the tickets to actually go to it ,its fairly saucy .
    Well over 80 euro for anything bar sitting in the rafters .

Djok v Delpo, Murray v Fed.

Djok in 2, Murray in 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Ferrer beat Tipsarevic in 3 sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1. This means that Federer tops the group and will play Murray in the SF, while del Potro will play Djokovic in the other.

Granollers/Lopez won their final doubles match which means the Bryan Brothers are out. The Spanish pair will play Marray/Nielsen; Bhupathi/Bopanna will play Paes/Stepanek in the other doubles SF.

Advertisement