Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Bhupathi & Bopanna are through to the doubles final after defeating Paes & Stepanek. Bit of tension between the Indians by the end of it. Rusedski mentioned the Bhupathi is Bopanna's manager...is he right? Can't remember when I heard of a doubles player managing his partner.:confused:

Del Potro took the first set against Djokovic, 6-4; the Serb fought back in the second to take it 6-3. Into a decider!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Great first set by Delpo, then found himself a break up in the second but the gulf in class has been so clear to see since.

Just as I was getting excited that Murray mighn't even have to play Djok in a final if he won tonight. Oh well :(

Djoko 5-2 up in final set. C'monnnnn DELPO!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Poor Delpo was flat by the end of that. Still silly scheduling there. Someone might have to be playing 3 days in a row.

Not interested in it now. Tennis is over until mid January for me.

Poor Delpo was flat by the end of that. Still silly scheduling there. Someone might have to be playing 3 days in a row.

Not interested in it now. Tennis is over until mid January for me.

Djok was always going to beat him even if he played 3 days in a row :P

Ha the quality hasn't been brilliant alright but to be fair it's after a long hard season. Still prospect of another Djok/Murray match tomorrow is quite exciting :)

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Djok was always going to beat him even if he played 3 days in a row :P

Ha the quality hasn't been brilliant alright but to be fair it's after a long hard season. Still prospect of another Djok/Murray match tomorrow is quite exciting :)

Not really, unless you're a fan of either of them, which you quite clearly are ;)

I kind of feel like I need a break from the tennis at this point anyway, so it's fine.

Not really, unless you're a fan of either of them, which you quite clearly are ;)

I kind of feel like I need a break from the tennis at this point anyway, so it's fine.

Ha that plays a role indeed but to be fair their matches of recent are very intriguing with very little in the balance at any stage. It's an incredibly interesting rivalry. It's good for the tournament/London/the fans/ and organisers to have the top two players in the world on form in the final so to say it's not exciting is a bit much :p

A lot of Nadal/Djok finals for example have been insanely one-sided of recent which isn't great. Fedal matches too have Rafa written all over them

It'll be no harm to get a break for a while until the AO indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Fed is turning the screw on Murray ,5-2 up in second set,his quality will shine through on the faster surface.
    There should be more tournaments on faster surfaces ,it makes a change from the baseline grinders .

Fed is turning the screw on Murray ,5-2 up in second set,his quality will shine through on the faster surface.
    There should be more tournaments on faster surfaces ,it makes a change from the baseline grinders .
    Fair play to him rolled back the years tonight! Hope he beats djok tomo if he plays like he did tonight no one will stop him! Consistency could be an issue

Loves the indoors!

Most partisan crowd all tournament some even managed to boo their own man

That's fine guys just realise ye won't get another slam winner from your country in living memory. Feel free to give him no support though

Anabel Not letting up on sky either. Getting booed in your own country must hurt big time and I'd say this about anyone, it's not a biased viewpoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Murray can kiss goodbye to the BBC SPOTY award next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fed is a demon at these year end tournaments

walshb wrote: »
    Murray can kiss goodbye to the BBC SPOTY award next month.
    This won't make any difference. this event wasnt very much in the public eye. The fact he's not going will prob cost him a few votes but I'd say he'll still get second!

Most partisan crowd all tournament some even managed to boo their own man

That's fine guys just realise ye won't get another slam winner from your country in living memory. Feel free to give him no support though

Anabel Not letting up on sky either. Getting booed in your own country must hurt big time and I'd say this about anyone, it's not a biased viewpoint

I wasn't really paying attention but I do find it amusing how many people seem to assume that Murray would have full support from the crowd. Federer is universally loved (for some reason). He's always got massive crowd support. Tennis fans travel for the big events and this is pretty big. Sure it's not a slam but you've got the top 8 in the world there, guaranteed to get to see big names if you go. There's no way that the entire crowd is going to be locals.

Obviously there was no need for booing if that did happen. That's not on regardless of where you are or who is playing. Leave the booing to the French Open crowds.

I wasn't really paying attention but I do find it amusing how many people seem to assume that Murray would have full support from the crowd. Federer is universally loved (for some reason). He's always got massive crowd support. Tennis fans travel for the big events and this is pretty big. Sure it's not a slam but you've got the top 8 in the world there, guaranteed to get to see big names if you go. There's no way that the entire crowd is going to be locals.

Obviously there was no need for booing if that did happen. That's not on regardless of where you are or who is playing. Leave the booing to the French Open crowds.

Oh indeed. I'm not saying it's like a Wimbledon crowd (which will be far more British and pro Murray) or anything but still I couldn't get over it. To be fair Fed has done so much for the game and deserves so much support but there was booing evident out there and some wild cheers for unforced errors by Murray. To be fair Andy is a very thick skinned bloke and won't let it get to him but it seemed to affect his game out there. Roger would have won anyway, this was one of those games that he decided to roll back the years for

There's life in the old dog yet but I'm still not convinced he has a AO title in him. Remember he hasn't made a hard slam final since 3 years ago January

He's taken Nole apart in their last two meetings and I'm sure he'd take great pleasure in doing so again. The Serb probably won't be given a break by the crowd so I'll be firmly supporting him hoping he can shut them up cos he's a dead sound bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Fair play to him rolled back the years tonight! Hope he beats djok tomo if he plays like he did tonight no one will stop him! Consistency could be an issue

Loves the indoors!

I wouldnt say he rolled back the years,Federer has always played his best tennis on a fast indoor surface ,its the best test of skill .
    The problem he faces is the homogenisation of the Grand Slam surface speeds.
    They have all been slowed down over the last ten years to favour baseliners and that has hindered him.
    If the surfaces were as fast as they used to be ,Wimbledon ,the US Open and the Australian open ,he would win most of them ,he has the best game for tennis on a faster surface .
    There needs to be more variety in the surface speeds ,it shouldnt take 3 winners to win a point.

I wouldnt say he rolled back the years,Federer has always played his best tennis on a fast indoor surface ,its the best test of skill .
    The problem he faces is the homogenisation of the Grand Slam surface speeds.
    They have all been slowed down over the last ten years to favour baseliners and that has hindered him.

If the surfaces were as fast as they used to be ,Wimbledon ,the US Open and the Australian open ,he would win most of them ,he has the best game for tennis on a faster surface .
    There needs to be more variety in the surface speeds ,it shouldnt take 3 winners to win a point.

THE H WORD!!! :mad:

Agreed. ALL the indoor surfaces are the same. Some of them are slower than clay courts. It's awful. Nadal even wanted to make all the tournaments use exactly the same balls to homogenise the game even more. I'm not by any means a Federer fan but you do have to admire that he's been able to win so many when they surfaces were genuinely different, and keep winning when everyone else got a leg up from the surfaces all being the same.

I sorta' agree with TICKLE; who knows what supporters were booing? They may well have been Fed fans. But, given the fact that Murray can be quite insolent on court I guess it's no real surprise that any fans may well rebel against him.

Federer is probably the slight favourite today. I would like to see him win. Novak can earn 1.76 million dollars if he wins today. Federer will earn half of that if he wins today.

I sorta' agree with TICKLE; who knows what supporters were booing? They may well have been Fed fans. But, given the fact that Murray can be quite insolent on court I guess it's no real surprise that any fans may well rebel against him.

Some suggestions that the crowd weren't impressed with how quickly he left the court after. Delpo for example took a moment to clap the crowd and gave them a wave. Murray just legged it. Of course that's up to him, probably annoyed at losing that 2nd set so easily. I didn't actually hear any booing but like I said I was only half watching it.

• Advertisement

Some suggestions that the crowd weren't impressed with how quickly he left the court after. Delpo for example took a moment to clap the crowd and gave them a wave. Murray just legged it. Of course that's up to him, probably annoyed at losing that 2nd set so easily. I didn't actually hear any booing but like I said I was only half watching it.

That was nothing to do with it. There were no boos at the end, probably more because their guy won. Basically every player walks off when they lose without any sign of acknowledgement which is dead bloody right. Let the winner enjoy their moment.

To answer your question WalshB, the boos actually came when Andy changed his racket in the tie break, which he is perfectly entitled to do. It was awful to watch

The other stand out incident was in the first set when Andy was under pressure to hold serve. He was heckled big time mid serve and the second serve then missed which led to a double fault which sparked huge cheers from the crowd, which is not on.

Every Federer point was roared wildly and even mammoth efforts from Andy were only met with mild enough applause at times. Was very strange, but Federer is the goat and I'm not complaining at all that he got a great reception, he bloody deserves it, but booing is absolutely not on

Yes, but wasn't the racket change due to him abusing the racket? It won't go down well with fans. He has a sore loser attitude on the court. Berating, shouting and moping about when things go against him. Hey, not saying he shouold be cool as a cucumber, but maybe tone it down a little bit. I am betting it's what makes him so good, he needs to let off that stem when he is frustrated. Just a wee tone down!

Yes, but wasn't the racket change due to him abusing the racket? It won't go down well with fans. He has a sore loser attitude on the court. Berating, shouting and moping about when things go against him. Hey, not saying he shouold be cool as a cucumber, but maybe tone it down a little bit. I am betting it's what makes him so good, he needs to let off that stem when he is frustrated. Just a wee tone down!

It's frustrating to watch at times indeed. At least the only one he seems to be hindering is himself though :p

Rarely does he come across as unsporting on court tbf to him

Djokovic serving for the first set at 5-4. Federer had won the first 9 points of the match, then went 3-0. Nole found his game after a while. I thought he was wheezing a little in the beginning; seems to have settled now.

P.S. Homogenisation is for MILK ONLY!!

Aaannnd Federer breaks Djokovic. 6-5.

Class first set! We want a decider!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

GET IN DJOKOVIC!!

Fed had the second on a plate, what character shown by Nole and some insane shots to win it. Great game

Fitting that the player of the year wins the WTF

Roll on January now :)

Expect this thread to be dormant for a while :pac:

I shall catch ye again in January at AO, when Andy Murray will do the incredible and win a second consecutive Grand Slam :D:D

ah no who'd bet against that Serbian fella, eh?

Great year, 4 slam winners! Some 2013 in store!

Funny that it took them literally an entire season to have a match where both players played well for the whole match. Well, maybe Djokovic/Delpo at the US Open too. But yeah, quite a good match to end the year on.

They keep writing Federer off and he keeps doing that, was very unlucky there not to at least get a set. He'll still be there or there abouts next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Brilliant match to end the year on. That last shot from Djokovic was amazing. How come Djokovic winning would receive so much more than Federer? Can't wait to see how things shape up next year.

Advertisement