Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

I want Delpo to win but I'd be happy with a good match at this point. The doubles have been better than the singles so far.

The singles are always an anomaly. You have the possibility fo dead rubbers in the last day, but conversely, with the many different scenarios that are usually possible on the last day of RR. You can also get some great matches. IIRC last year started a tad slow too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

You are correct, I was joking though. In that one instance he gave back to Murray who then threw a strop.

Murray is a moaner though, no inverted commas needed! It doesn't matter what he's moaning at, he never seems happy. It's the reason he is so unpopular. :D It's a pity really as he's supposed to be far nicer behind the scenes. If he could bring with him the on court persona that he had when he played the mixed doubles in the Olympics, over to his singles game, I would find him a lot more endearing. It's a pity because he's such a brilliant player but I just can't warm to him at all.

Ha, yeah Murray was a child then he's grown up a lot since!

Aye, at least it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem though. I mean it doesn't really cost him silly games at slams or anything and it doesn't affect his game.

Yeah he was as cool as a breeze then but his competitiveness just comes out too much. It's probably why he's as good as he is so I'm not complaining :p

Ya off court he's very shy alright. Not into the fame at all

That was easy for Fed. He better not go and win this but I can't see it :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The singles are always an anomaly. You have the possibility fo dead rubbers in the last day, but conversely, with the many different scenarios that are usually possible on the last day of RR. You can also get some great matches. IIRC last year started a tad slow too?

Last year was a bit rubbish. Murray got injured, Rafa was sick, Djokovic was tired and not long back from injury. Federer basically strolled to the title.

Given that Murray won in 2 sets yesterday, and Djokovic in 2, Tomas winning in straights over Jo tomorrow could make the last day interesting in that group.

Last year was a bit rubbish. Murray got injured, Rafa was sick, Djokovic was tired and not long back from injury. Federer basically strolled to the title.

Given that Murray won in 2 sets yesterday, and Djokovic in 2, Tomas winning in straights over Jo tomorrow could make the last day interesting in that group.

I'll get sick if this happens :p

This is what I'm hoping for from Group B. I want whoever plays Janko on Thursday to blitz him in straight sets and then the last day means that whoever plays Janko needs to match that, and the other match would need a definitive winner also. Otherwise there's a risk of dead rubber which would suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ferrer-Federer should be a cracker. DelPotro as usual will be a tough one for Federer. I see Ferrer beating DelPotro and Tipsy.

Just to correct myself from earlier.... Murray won in 3, dropping one set. The rest of my post still stands because that's what I meant in the first place. Don't know why I wrote 2.

This one could go down to the final set. Juan should win set two.

I'm over at it on Saturday so I'm trying to find out who I'll see. I'm guessing this group but not sure of the matches.

Looks like you'll be getting Delpo vs Federer and Ferrer vs Tipsarevic. Nice matches. Tipsy v Ferrer was great at the US Open. Delpo nearly always runs Federer close.

Daveed wahoo. You felt he always had something extra. Justifying his number 5 ranking :)

Wasn't far off on score line either :o

Wed-

Murray djok will be a dinger. Really think andy will do it in 2 though

Berdych in 3 v jwt

• Advertisement

So Federer vs Ferrer on in the afternoon on Thursday. Why are the bigger matches on earlier? Annoying now as I won't see either of them.

At least I know now that I'll see Federer vs del Potro on Saturday.

Ferrer was awesome last night. He is my dark horse to win the whole thing. I'd be delighted for him if he did. A true gent of the game.

Going for Djokovic today in 2 or 3. Hopefully Jo can pull of a win of the Berd as well.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Murray djok will be a dinger. Really think andy will do it in 2 though

Berdych in 3 v jwt

I'm thinking that too. Murray will be so up for this. I am going with Murray in two. 5 and 6.

Neil1984 wrote: »
    So Federer vs Ferrer on in the afternoon on Thursday. Why are the bigger matches on earlier? Annoying now as I won't see either of them.

At least I know now that I'll see Federer vs del Potro on Saturday.

Ferrer was awesome last night. He is my dark horse to win the whole thing. I'd be delighted for him if he did. A true gent of the game.

Going for Djokovic today in 2 or 3. Hopefully Jo can pull of a win of the Berd as well.
    The big games are on early due to tv scheduling I guess!

Ferrer is probably the best of the rest outside the big 4 but he has no chance of winning here to put it bluntly.. If Delpo beats fed that group could be interesting alright

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The big games are on early due to tv scheduling I guess!

Ferrer is probably the best of the rest outside the big 4 but he has no chance of winning here to put it bluntly.. If Delpo beats fed that group could be interesting alright

But that doesn't really make sense either, much more people will be watching at 7 or 8 in the evening than in the middle of the afternoon (on a weekday anyway)

Murray's half way there. One set up; 6-4!

Tox56 wrote: »
    But that doesn't really make sense either, much more people will be watching at 7 or 8 in the evening than in the middle of the afternoon (on a weekday anyway)

I know during the women's YEC's they scheduled Li Na's matches for Chinese TV. Gave her the times that meant her matches weren't in the middle of the night there. But that doesn't really apply here. Delpo is the only non European and Argentina isn't that many hours behind that you'd go to any great trouble to arrange the schedule around it.

Maybe they think people will watch in the evening anyway so put the "big matches" on during the day to try to attract the viewers then?

Bbc prob get pick of big games? They can probably only show tennis during the afternoon. They'd definitely demand Murray games anyway

Flawless first set by the scot :)

Keep it up son!!

I asked twitter about this and the general consensus is the BBC are calling the shots. Seems ridiculous seeing as Sky show ALL the tennis bar Wimbledon all year but the BBC get to make scheduling demands/decisions.

Into a decider!

Novak wins the decider 7-5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

At least he won a set, which actually matters in this tournament

Boom! delighted with that. Hopefully this secures Nole a solid route towards the final, I wanna see him on Monday!

A Tsonga win tonight secures Djokovic into the SF. And then any of the other 3 could qualify depending on the last matches.
    A Berdych win tonight would eliminate Tsonga and leave it between the other 3 for 1st & 2nd.

Really enjoyed that match. Not too disappointed at all.

Andy served like a boss in the first winning his first 15 points on serve :eek: He dominated Nole in the set without Nole playing badly. And then he switched off!:( and again at the start of the third!!! But when he started playing again he bossed Nole all over again until the Serb pulled a great break out of the bag and served it out

You can't afford to drop one bit v Nole but it's very positive that Andy bossed him around at times. Once again, very little between the two. A great rivalry forming

I'd say with a relative deal of confidence that these two will be contesting the final here

Boom! delighted with that. Hopefully this secures Nole a solid route towards the final, I wanna see him on Monday!

Aye he's now a cert to make it alright. Will probably get Ferrer in the semi and coast through that. Would be fairly confident Andy will make it through the other side. You may not be a fan but believe you me their games are epic so it would be a great one to see :pac:

Aye he's now a cert to make it alright. Will probably get Ferrer in the semi and coast through that. Would be fairly confident Andy will make it through the other side. You may not be a fan but believe you me their games are epic so it would be a great one to see :pac:

I've no doubt it will be epic. I also agree it's the most likely final. Though Federer is still an element, he also is at his best indoors so I'm not counting him out.

I'll say something else, IF Rafa can come back to anything resembling his upper level, we will have some year in store for us next year.

I didn't see the match. Was it at all like the Shanghai masters, where Andy really had the beatings of Nole?

walshb wrote: »
    I didn't see the match. Was it at all like the Shanghai masters, where Andy really had the beatings of Nole?

Was the better player in the first but completely fell asleep in the second which Nole deservedly won. This continued into the third where Nole got an early break and went 4-2 up, however Murray got a break and suddenly went to 5-4 ahead. Nole then calmly held and then broke Murray and held serve to win the match.

It was a very topsy turvy game with both having their dominant periods but overall Nole just shaded it

I've no doubt it will be epic. I also agree it's the most likely final. Though Federer is still an element, he also is at his best indoors so I'm not counting him out.

I'll say something else, IF Rafa can come back to anything resembling his upper level, we will have some year in store for us next year.

Definitely. However I can see Roger fading slightly.

I reckon we'll have 3 slam winners anyway, with Rafa winning RG, Murray WImby and Djok/Murray left fighting out the other two!

Of course it would be silly to write off Fed but I just can't see it. His only hope at all is sw19 where Nole isn't quite as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Marray & Nielsen are through to the doubles SF after beating Miryni/Nestor after a championship tiebreak. Great match; some excellent points from both teams.

Cracking doubles matches at The O2!

Advertisement