Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Klitschko's Boring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can't recollect Tyson having such an easy opponent as Mormeck in his career. Need I say especially after he won many fights. (as Wladimir has.)

Mormeck only landed 3 punches in the 4 rounds. It was a total mismatch, total.

Whether or not you recollect it doesnt matter, still happened.

runboyrun wrote: »
    To be fair I think he means whilst being champ tyson did not fight anyone near as bad as Mormeck

P.S. will you send yourself a warning for calling someone else's opinion laughable??:D

If he means that, even if its true, you can't compare it because Wlad has already defeated anybody who will fight him, anybody. Who is he supposed to fight? The same 4 guys over and over again. Surely you can see that its just not realistic. Tyson didn't have the belt as long as Wlad either (defended it 9 times) and did in fact fight some bums while champ,(lost to one in fact) certainly wasn't fighting top quality opposition was he since tbh there wasn't really much around.

There are no fights left for him of note, he and his brother have always fought anybody who wants a fight.He has defeated any of the top contenders who will challenge him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

kryogen wrote: »
    If he means that, even if its true, you can't compare it because Wlad has already defeated anybody who will fight him, anybody. Who is he supposed to fight? The same 4 guys over and over again. Surely you can see that its just not realistic.

There are no fights left for him of note, he and his brother have always fought anybody who wants a fight.He has defeated any of the top contenders who will challenge him.

What about Povetkin, Huck, Price, Chisora etc. ? All a lot better than a 39 yr old, overweight Mormeck who's a small CW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

To be fair I think he means whilst being champ tyson did not fight anyone near as bad as Mormeck

P.S. will you send yourself a warning for calling someone else's opinion laughable??:D

Take the whole thread in context and he is taking his dislike of the bro's into the ridiculous and makes it very hard to debate with.

If he said there great fighters but I don't like their style I would say fair enough

But he is basing their careers on their last fights which is ridiculous because they will fight anyone willing, most the ranked fighters don't want any part of them and that's because how good they are.

So they fight a cruiser champ who wants the fight and it gets slated, tyson fought his share of bums and when he fought Douglas that was considered a terrible mismatch, Easy to forget that after the fact

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Take the whole thread in context and he is taking his dislike of the bro's into the ridiculous and makes it very hard to debate with.

If he said there great fighters but I don't like their style I would say fair enough

But he is basing their careers on their last fights which is ridiculous because they will fight anyone willing, most the ranked fighters don't want any part of them and that's because how good they are.

So they fight a cruiser champ who wants the fight and it gets slated, tyson fought his share of bums and when he fought Douglas that was considered a terrible mismatch, Easy to forget that after the fact

most agree the klits are very good and would give most a good fight but they are definitely not the most exciting champion ever......in 20 years time i don't think they will feature on many highlight reels of good fights.....at the end of the day prof. boxing is about entertainment, it's a business and they don't provide good value for money. they stay in germany because they are popular there and they can make good money because most other places they won't get a good crowd unless their fighting a hometown favourite e.g. adamek

• Advertisement

What about Povetkin, Huck, Price, Chisora etc. ? All a lot better than a 39 yr old, overweight Mormeck who's a small CW

Chisora? How was he supposed to fight him when his bro beat him up a couple of weeks back? And might I add, he was scraping the barrel with him.

The others? Maybe you should be asking why they won't fight him not the other way around.

If they want to fight, they will get a fight.

An awful lot are waiting for the Klits to leave the division, if you can't see this I dunno what to say to you.

most agree the klits are very good and would give most a good fight but they are definitely not the most exciting champion ever......in 20 years time i don't think they will feature on many highlight reels of good fights.....at the end of the day prof. boxing is about entertainment, it's a business and they don't provide good value for money. they stay in germany because they are popular there and they can make good money because most other places they won't get a good crowd unless their fighting a hometown favourite e.g. adamek

Nobody on here has claimed they are the most exciting champions ever, or has claimed they will be on highlight reels in 20 years time. Thats not what supposed to be debated.

Whatever the reason they stay in Germany, you can speculate, I can speculate, doesn't matter, they are the Champs, they are in control of their brand, they make a fortune how they do business.

If people want to go take the belts off them they are available. If people want to duck them till they retire, thats their look out, probably the smartest thing to do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭sxt

Povetkin , Price , fury , Helenius etc are strategically and purposely avoiding the Klitschkos. These are fighters that The Klitschkos would love to fight , I can assure you

Nobody on here has claimed they are the most exciting champions ever, or has claimed they will be on highlight reels in 20 years time. Thats not what supposed to be debated.

actually that's exactly what the thread is about, whether or not they're boring ! It's not debating how good they are if you read the first post you'll understand this.

Some ppl on this thread are actually saying they are very exciting. I agree they are very good and very likeable ppl but in terms of excitement in the ring, they don't do it for me like say a Tyson, Foreman, frazier, Bowe, Ali, Dempsey, Louis, Holyfield, Tua, Shavers, Lyle, Cooney, Ruddock etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,164 ✭✭✭✭walshb

actually that's exactly what the thread is about, whether or not they're boring ! It's not debating how good they are if you read the first post you'll understand this.

Some ppl on this thread are actually saying they are very exciting. I agree they are very good and very likeable ppl but in terms of excitement in the ring, they don't do it for me like say a Tyson, Foreman, frazier, Bowe, Ali, Dempsey, Louis, Holyfield, Tua, Shavers, Lyle, Cooney, Ruddock etc. etc.

Exactly.

The thread is very very specific. I know well threads can deviate, but as regards the question, are they boring, well, they never got me excited. I don't see anything extraordinary or exciting when I watch them box. I just don't see it.

Boring may well be a strong word, but it's either exciting or not exciting, and with them, and many others I may add, I would say they are the latter. If that means boring, so be it.

• Advertisement

So you see no difference between someone not being boring and someone being the most exciting champion of all time?

Seriously like.

They are either boring or they are not. The poll gives you the result, to be simply not boring, they do not have to be the most exciting ever! It really is a simple concept to grasp

Completely stripped down: Not the most exciting boxers ever does not equal boring.

See the part in bold?

Its why I said this

Understand?

So you see no difference between someone not being boring and someone being the most exciting champion of all time?

Seriously like.

They are either boring or they are not. The poll gives you the result, to be simply not boring, they do not have to be the most exciting ever! It really is a simple concept to grasp

Completely stripped down: Not the most exciting boxers ever does not equal boring.

I feel they are definitely boring, they just don't excite me in any way when I watch them box.

They are HW champions, so as far as HW champions go I can't think of any past champion that is less exciting than them, except valuev.

Normally ppl who love boxing would catch every HW fight but when the klits fight I'm not excited at all. I know what to expect and it's boring.

If this poll was about Foreman, Tyson, Ali, etc. I would say 100% of ppl would say 'not boring'. This poll nearly has 40% calling the HW champions boring!! That means that immediately 40% of the potential audience is lost. We don't know how many ppl feel they are average but not boring. This is not how ppl should view the HW champion. This is why there is relatively low interest in HW boxing currently.

I feel they are definitely boring, they just don't excite me in any way when I watch them box..

Thats fine, nothing wrong with you feeling this-but trying to say that because people say they are not boring does not mean we feel they're the most exciting boxers ever.

I like watching them, you don't-thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Was reading the wiki profile of Corrie Sanders the other day.

In the two years before fighting Wladimir Klithscho he fought all of 3 rounds, and yet was still sanctioned to fight for the World Championship.

You would have to wonder why?

He then went on to demolish Wladimir in a few rounds. He did ok against Vitali, but Sanders would strike you as someone who'd prefer to spend time in the local McDonalds than training in the ring. He was just a slugger with no real skill.

Did Ali ever fight an almost part time fighter like Sanders for the World Championship?

You could put an asterix beside a lot of Klitchko opponents, and question their qualifications for fighting for the world championship. It's certainly not a golden era in the HW division and there hasn't been anyone to challenge the brothers since Lewis retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Be quiet, "you've a biased view that is laughable at best."

Thats fine, nothing wrong with you feeling this-but trying to say that because people say they are not boring does not mean we feel they're the most exciting boxers ever.

I like watching them, you don't-thats fine.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

There is no real opposition to test them so yes boring

Although I find them not at all exciting when I do watch them, I also find myself wanting to watch them to see what they do, how they handle the foe and how they win. Intriguing I would call them. So, far from exciting, but probably more mysterious and intriguing than downright boring.

walshb wrote: »
    Boring may well be a strong word, but it's either exciting or not exciting,

actually it's boring or not boring, the thread is not about are they exciting, it's about are they boring, most have said no their not boring, not many have said their exciting as thats not the thread

I like watching them, mayweather is not always exciting but like the brothers he's intriqing and I always want to watch him and how he toys with opponents looks impossible to beat-just like klitschko's except their not brash and loud and American

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

their opposition is boring not them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

makl wrote: »

or the money either,its money for old rope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

The nature of the fight might have something to do with why people think they're boring. People might find it hard to be enthused when the result really isn't in doubt. Its understandable. Lets face it we all tune in saying "I wonder what round Klitschko will decide to win in" not "I wonder who's going to win".

People are entitled to say that's boring and predictable for them. Personal opinion and not something people should forcibly argue about.;)

corny wrote: »
    People are entitled to say that's boring and predictable for them. Personal opinion and not something people should forcibly argue about.;)

That's fine, 61% don't think their boring.

Also people would be within their rights to say they found Tyson boring-staying up all night to watch a 1 round fight is not for everyone

50,000 people paid to go and watch the last fight even against poor heavyweight opposition, 12.6 million Germans watched it on tv
    That's not counting how many watched it worldwide-I know loads who watched it from here for example.

The whole boring issue is very subjective.

So, I guess really it would maybe better to compare them to others.

In saying this I would argue that they would rank quite low

61 percent is a majority, but really, I bet many others in a similar poll would score a lot higher than the Klits. Their style, technique and performances for me have been less than exciting, not boring, just at times difficult to enjoy.

makl wrote: »

And therein lies the problem for folks. I would imagine that what people find boring or bizarre is how the Klits don't obliterarte some of the opponents. They seem to just beat them methodically and patiently. That is what folks can find boring, and odd.

They have all the advantages, and they have power, but they seem content to just stay a step ahead. Hey, credit to them for being the best, but it makes for some dull and drawn out fights. Unnecessary and continuouse action. Look at Adamek/Chisora in against Vitali. Any kller or focused and determined great heavy would have gotten rid of Adamek/Chisora in 2-3 rds, or at least put a fierce beating on them forcing a stoppage. Maybe a peak Vit would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

walshb wrote: »
    And therein lies the problem for folks. I would imagine that what people find boring or bizarre is how the Klits don't obliterarte some of the opponents. They seem to just beat them methodically and patiently. That is what folks can find boring, and odd.

If they went in like a tyson type fighter they would not be the best

It's clear that their body types are not made for that type of fight

They use their body types to its maximum and are just too good for anyone

The fact that most people on all the Klitschko threads think they would be competitive in any era sums up how good they are

Exciting? not like a tyson but the fact so many people are interested in him means they excite some

If they went in like a tyson type fighter they would not be the best

It's clear that their body types are not made for that type of fight

They use their body types to its maximum and are just too good for anyone

The fact that most people on all the Klitschko threads think they would be competitive in any era sums up how good they are

Exciting? not like a tyson but the fact so many people are interested in him means they excite some

I understand that their body type and style etc is different. But, still, I think if they were that bit more committed and attacking and aggressive then folks may warm to them that bit more. And, some of them duds would be dispatched a lot earlier and cleaner. They are very good at what they do.

Really, one can only compare them physically with say Lewis and Bowe, and to me both Lewis and Bowe were more exciting and were more aggressive too. Skilfully agreesive I may add.

Even Gerry Cooney, who is also a similar size, was to me more enjoyable to watch.

No way Lewis is more exciting, he was very gun shy and even when people where hurt.

Lewis was more slated than the brothers ever where as been negative and now people seem to forget that.

Bowe while potentially 1 of the greatest ever never really beat anyone bar evander, and could have fought some good boxers.

• Advertisement

No way Lewis is more exciting, he was very gun shy and even when people where hurt.

Lewis was more slated than the brothers ever where as been negative and now people seem to forget that.

Bowe while potentially 1 of the greatest ever never really beat anyone bar evander, and could have fought some good boxers.

Lewis in his early career to me was over enthusiastic at times, to the point of almost reckless. I just do not see the Klits as providing more skilled action than Lewis over his career. Yes, Lewis was criticised for being negative and too patient, but still think he was more action packed and versatile than the jab, jab, jab, pull down, right cross Klits.

Bowe was a more rounded fighter than both Klits, and showed it too. He was more a complete fighter with better skills. Much superior inside game.

Advertisement