Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Klitschko's Boring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Why do the Klitschko's fight exclusively in Germany so? Answer this.

.)

Because they sell out 50,000 stadiums and get massive sponsorship and 12 million people watch it on tele.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who gives a **** how many average Brits knew who Wlad was before David Haye?

I can guarantee you, every single "average" boxing fan in the world, knows who the World Heavyweight Champions are.

The US is the be all and end all to you, ok, the Klits have huge sponsorship deals in Germany, they live there, they do not have American promoters, they do not need to go to America. They are highly intelligent men. They control the Klitschko brand and they reap the most benefits from it.

If they don't need to go to America, and are from the Ukraine (Vitali in particular has a big interest in Ukrainian politics) why should they move to suit you or anyone else? They are the Champs, the challengers can come to them. there is nothing wrong with that.

Boxing in the US is on the decline, so the US is not the yardstick anymore tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

TBH if there was another Mike Tyson the heavyweight division would be a lot lot better.

We had the line of pristine fighters, from Jack Dempsey up to Tyson recently (ish, 7 years since he retired), but IMO it has all gone downhill, big time. I would love for Heavyweight boxing to be back in it's glory days.

Instead it isn't even on PPV anymore, who would have ever thought the Heavyweight championship wouldn't be on PPV. The day the Heavyweight championship left America was the day it lost it's soul. Truly a pristine line of fighter have held it, but that has come to an end. I hope it isn't like this forever.

Muhammad Ali wasn't no foreigner. Joe Louis wasn't no foreigner. America was it's soul. Instead all them stupid NBA, NFL, etc are stealing the best. The Heavyweight Championship of the World used to be The biggest sports prize in the world, it's a pity it isn't anymore.

TBH if there was another Mike Tyson the heavyweight division would be a lot lot better.

We had the line of pristine fighters, from Jack Dempsey up to Tyson recently (ish, 7 years since he retired), but IMO it has all gone downhill, big time. I would love for Heavyweight boxing to be back in it's glory days.

Instead it isn't even on PPV anymore, who would have ever thought the Heavyweight championship wouldn't be on PPV. The day the Heavyweight championship left America was the day it lost it's soul. Truly a pristine line of fighter have held it, but that has come to an end. I hope it isn't like this forever.

Muhammad Ali wasn't no foreigner. Joe Louis wasn't no foreigner. America was it's soul. Instead all them stupid NBA, NFL, etc are stealing the best. The Heavyweight Championship of the World used to be The biggest sports prize in the world, it's a pity it isn't anymore.

Jesus Christ the arrogance here is unreal!

America does not have a bloody divine right to anything!!!

I don't even know where to start tbh so I just won't, its too late.

I may get back to this tomorrow cause the attitude bugs the hell out of me, there is a big world outside the USA. Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

RiseToTheTop are you American?

• Advertisement

So your pissed that you don't have to pay ppv, pity for you the bro's aren't America, then you'd be paying it and seeing them box once a year.

Oh and Ali's era would have been better if it had a Tyson in it, as would any era.

What i'm saying is the US has consistently produced the very best heavyweights and there should be another great heavyweight around ATM. Unfortunately due to the ****e NFL/NBA, etc there isn't.

IMO the Klitschko's are the best of a bad bunch. They haven't been tested by any truely great fighter. You can say they have the incentives to stay in Germany, etc. But it would not be enough to ignore the fact they are heavily favoured on the Judges scorecards when they fight there. Jim Watt, Larry Merchant, etc, etc. "This boxer is fighting away from home, has to put on a good showing."

David Haye has been Wladimir's biggest test by far, if you cannot see this, I dunno what to say. After Ali's era and up to Tyson's, there was a couple of years of very bad fighters, bar Larry Holmes (who beat Shavers twice, Norton in the late 70's) where the division was very bad. IMO it is like that ATM, except that was for 7 years most, this era has been like that 9 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What i'm saying is the US has consistently produced the very best heavyweights and there should be another great heavyweight around ATM. Unfortunately due to the ****e NFL/NBA, etc there isn't.

I take it that you don't like two of the greatest sports on earth?

Anyway, can you blame young men for opting to play these sports where there is massive massive money, even if you aren't a global name? There is big money in boxing, but only for a select few great fighters. It's an individual sport. Just look at the wages of some of the soccer players that nobody has ever heard of, 30-50 K a week. It's no diffrent in the NFL and NBA. What unknown and low ranked boxer would earn 50 K a week?

BTW, as regards America, yes, it is the hub and it is where "you have to make it," but the fact is that no matter where the Klits are on the planet they are still the best, aren' they? As regards popularity, yes, America is where you really become global. But, the Klits are fairly global anyway. The HW champion title will always be global. It's bigger than any single country. And I will also add that it used to be a lot more prestigious than it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

David Haye has been Wladimir's biggest test by far, if you cannot see this, I dunno what to say.
    I would wager Ross Puritty, Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster would argue that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Wouldn't describe them as boring, very technical fighters and they're certainly the best of their styles at the moment, boring is a very strong word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭sxt

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Wouldn't describe them as boring, very technical fighters and they're certainly the best of their styles at the moment, boring is a very strong word.

"boring" " all their opponents are Bums" "heavyweight division is dead" are all constructs made by promoters and opponent boxers to sell a fight, see David haye or any other boxer up against the klitschko .The public buy into this media driven frenzy , even respected pundits. David Haye was heralded as "the saviour of heavy boxing". I'm not kidding!

I would wager Ross Puritty, Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster would argue that point.

Who?

Oh, the fighters before Wladimir started to kiss, hug and rub his opponent. Probably when his "technically proficiency" became more apparent, but entertainment factor out the window.

*opponent comes within 2 feet of Wladimir*

Wladimir: AHM GOING TO DIE!!!! *has near death experience*

*German crowd cheers*

*Americans turns off their TVs*

*I grab can of bud and play Civilzation IV/Rewatch Tyson KO Berbick again*

sxt wrote: »
    "boring" " all their opponents are Bums" "heavyweight division is dead" are all constructs made by promoters and opponent boxers to sell a fight, see David haye or any other boxer up against the klitschko .The public buy into this media driven frenzy , even respected pundits. David Haye was heralded as "the saviour of heavy boxing". I'm not kidding!

Stop watching Sky Sports News.

Stop watching Sky Sports News.

Irony.jpg

Are you calling me a f@ggot??

*double post*

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Are you calling me a f@ggot??

Clearly saying it's ironic that a person who makes out David Haye is top of the division is telling others not to watch sky sports news

You clearly have no idea about anything Boxing that it is not mainstream in the English speaking countries and it show's in your post's on here

Also Most of your post's are about the Klitschko's so you are clearly interested in them.

I said are you calling me a f@ggot.

It's obvious he wasn't and cop on would tell you that.
    Don't be trying to act like a victim because most people disagree with you on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

That sounds like a threat!!!:D

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    That sounds like a threat!!!:D

No more on this-take it to pm and get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

just my opinion, im no expert but i have to say that the fights seem very handpicked......but to be fair its not the klitschkos fault that there aint many challengers out there, none really.....

I fell asleep watching the last fight......was just toooooo easy, and the amount of holding going on was arrgghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

The Klitschkos are very effective.

They are very dominant.

They are always in great condition.

They have great records.

They have good skills.

but.....THEY ARE DEFINITELY BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

italodisco wrote: »
    just my opinion, im no expert but i have to say that the fights seem very handpicked......but to be fair its not the klitschkos fault that there aint many challengers out there, none really.....

I fell asleep watching the last fight......was just toooooo easy, and the amount of holding going on was arrgghhh

Agreed, this was a mismatch-they usually fight the top fighters so both their last fights where the exception.

With no 1 to match them they need to find fighters that get the tele onside, ie Brits etc.

I very clearly was not calling you a ******!

Use some cop on!

Edit: apologies Cowzerp, only saw your warning after I posted.

italodisco wrote: »

Couldn't disagree more strongly with the first part

They are certainly not handpicked, they will take, and have taken any challenger.

This is accepted by everyone, handpicking opponents is not something anyone can claim about the brothers.

They will fight anybody who wants to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I think the difference between an exciting and boring fighter ultimately is if you would pay to see them.

If you would pay to see the Klitchkos, then maybe. But I don't think any of their fights are ppv in Ireland or the UK, except for the Haye fight.

Then again, would you pay to see a fight of someone who always knocks out their opponents in the first round?

At least you get lots of rounds out of the Klitchkos.

I can't recollect Tyson having such an easy opponent as Mormeck in his career. Need I say especially after he won many fights. (as Wladimir has.)

Mormeck only landed 3 punches in the 4 rounds. It was a total mismatch, total.

I can't recollect Tyson having such an easy opponent as Mormeck in his career. Need I say especially after he won many fights. (as Wladimir has.)

Mormeck only landed 3 punches in the 4 rounds. It was a total mismatch, total.

You have a biased view which is laughable at best.

Tyson fought many cans, like most boxers at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

cowzerp wrote: »
    You have a biased view which is laughable at best.

Tyson fought many cans, like most boxers at some stage

To be fair I think he means whilst being champ tyson did not fight anyone near as bad as Mormeck

P.S. will you send yourself a warning for calling someone else's opinion laughable??:D

Advertisement