Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Klitschko's Boring?

Options
  • 04-03-2012 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I'm not disputing that the Klits are good affective at what they do, obviously they are as they usually win.

The question I ask is are they boring and therefore somewhat responsible in the current disinterest in HW boxing?

If Tyson, Ali, Foreman etc. were champ now, would there be more interest in HW boxing?

Are the Klits boring? 43 votes

Yes
    2% 1 vote
    No
    97% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

The HW division would be more exciting without them as there would be 5 or 6 heavies vying to be the top dog. But the standard would be much lower.

I'd rather watch their one-sided technically masterful displays (moreso Wlad than Vitali) than a closer fight between lesser boxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

THE OPPOSITION IS BORING AND UNPROFESIONAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

To me they are not "boring" in the sense of the word I think you mean, I actually enjoy watching them systematically take opponents apart and totally out think and out class them

If anything it should actually make other boxers in the HW catagory and those coming up try even harder to improve their own skills. Good competition is normally how improvements are made, it pushes people on to better themselves.

They generally give a boxing masterclass in the ring, to me thats not boring, I understand that if you want the flashy speedy stuff generally reserved for the lower weight divisions these days in particular you would find the fights boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

they don't bring excitement like a prime tyson, ali, frazier, marciano, louis, dempsey etc.

they are good at what they do but they are boring. why was vlad fighting a 39 yr old washed up cruiserweight? why?? it's a joke. why doesn't he at least fight povetkin, huck, mitchell etc. the opposition is very poor but he's not even fighting the best out there.

the way vlad was constantly holding last night was embarassing. he was constantly grabbing and leaning on the much smaller man to wear him out. this isn't boxing. vlad had all the advantages bu still he was afraid of his life of taking a shot from a non puncher at HW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

IMO they are boring. They keep their opponent at the end of their jab and rarely throw hooks/right hands. It's just the jab for 9+ rounds and then KO their opponent very unspectacularly.

The reason they are so effective is because (mostly) they have good jabs and good rhythm. It's also a pity that the reason they are very effective is the reason they aren't very entertaining.

For the people who answered "No" on the poll, would you rather watch the Klitschko's or Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, etc. They are entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

runboyrun wrote: »
    they don't bring excitement like a prime tyson, ali, frazier, marciano, louis, dempsey etc.

they are good at what they do but they are boring. why was vlad fighting a 39 yr old washed up cruiserweight? why?? it's a joke. why doesn't he at least fight povetkin, huck, mitchell etc. the opposition is very poor but he's not even fighting the best out there.

the way vlad was constantly holding last night was embarassing. he was constantly grabbing and leaning on the much smaller man to wear him out. this isn't boxing. vlad had all the advantages bu still he was afraid of his life of taking a shot from a non puncher at HW.

You hit the nail on the head there runboyrun,klits put me of watching their boring performances against hand picked opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

runboyrun wrote: »

The opposition is very poor but he's not even fighting the best out there.

As i posted already, Ali, Frazier during Boxings best ever era fought soft opposition while champs too-Thats worse as there truly was challenges out there for them.
    The reason they are so effective is because (mostly) they have good jabs and good rhythm. It's also a pity that the reason they are very effective is the reason they aren't very entertaining.

For the people who answered "No" on the poll, would you rather watch the Klitschko's or Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, etc. They are entertaining.

Wlad actually threw several hooks last night, probably more than jabs, actually both brothers regularly work of left hooks.

Lennox Lewis was far more boring than either Klitschko and is talked up all the time, he was terribly negative and had worse ko rates than the bro's too, to say been less exciting than some of the most exciting fighters ever is a bit silly anyway as most champions could not excite like who you named.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Last night was truly an exception for Wladimir Klitschko, he never KO'd before round 8 for at least 2 years, never mind round 4. 2007 was the last time he KO'd an oppoent in less than 5 rounds.

If you think the boxers whom I highlighted are not exciting I dunno what to say. Though if you find the Klitschko's exciting...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

cowzerp wrote: »
    to say been less exciting than some of the most exciting fighters ever is a bit silly anyway as most champions could not excite like who you named.
    If you think the boxers whom I highlighted are not exciting I dunno what to say. Though if you find the Klitschko's exciting...

Is your bias that bad that you can't read my post's, not many Boxers are exciting as peak Tyson, Foreman etc-some people don't find Mayweather as exciting as Sugar ray leonard, does not mean floyd is not exciting.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I'm sorry, I didn't catch your post in full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

I think the question should be are the Klitschkos involved in boring fights.

Are they boring? No

Are they involved in boring one sided fights? Sometimes yes.

Who's fault is it? Not theirs anyway.

They're more unlucky than anything else. Fighters are often defined by the rivalries they create and sometimes even a loss to an opponent in an epic can enhance a reputation more than drumming out victories like the Klitschkos.

Theres also an element of them lacking the charisma needed to sell boxing to the masses. They're stand up people. I watched Chuck Wepner's story recently and he said Ali asked him to call him a '**gger' to promote the fight! Unfortunately the Klitschkos don't resort that type of nonsense to sell themselves. Maybe they should and threads like this wouldn't feature.

I'm reading a boxing book Sound & Fury, detailing Ali & Cossells relationship. It says after Ali's fight with Quarry and Bonvavena, in January of 1971, Cosell was poolside at a hotel in Miami.

All of a said he heard Ali shouting and stood up and said "Where is he?". In the distance Ali was shouting "Where is that white fella who keeping on troubling me? Telling me I am out of shape, not fast anymore.", his usual showbiz act. Ali found Cosell and ask his wife can he go 15 rounds with Howard, and she agreed :D

Anyway, Ali took Cosell on a spin throughout the black side of Miami, first stop he brought Ali to a poolside place, not at a hotel but out in the open. Ali and Howard got out and there where 8 random black fellas with pool sticks passing by, they were playing pool. Ali said "come, lets get him boys, this is the fella who has been bothering me." He was playful, but the black fellas look and said "Careful, these guys could be serious." Ali pulled Cosell close and said to him "call me Ni**ger." but then Cosell said "I think I still have a couple of years left!!!". Anyway Ali obviously did that with Wepner too!

Then Ali took Cosell to a barbershop and asked him to sit down and started chanting, inviting everyone along with him to chant for Cosell to get a haircut. Cosell didn't have his toupee on, and said "Ali please, I barely have enough hair as it is." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭StevePH

Are the Ks boring?
    Put this another way. Do Wlad or Vitali get your blood up - in the way a sport like this should - in the way that Hearns, Ali, Barrera, Jones, Benn etc did?

For me, no.

One point I'd make is that the Kitschskos can't be lumped together.
    Vitali's grit and Wlad's technique are the business. They're good to watch, in their own way - they are effective.

Exciting, value-for-money entertainment? No

For the people who voted they aren't boring, please give us your opinions.

In what way do you find them entertaining?

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

cowzerp wrote: »
    As i posted already, Ali, Frazier during Boxings best ever era fought soft opposition while champs too-Thats worse as there truly was challenges out there for them.

Wlad actually threw several hooks last night, probably more than jabs, actually both brothers regularly work of left hooks.

Lennox Lewis was far more boring than either Klitschko and is talked up all the time, he was terribly negative and had worse ko rates than the bro's too, to say been less exciting than some of the most exciting fighters ever is a bit silly anyway as most champions could not excite like who you named.

Exactly.

Vitali especially is far from boring, it's just there is no one out there to give him a good scrap and test him.

He can tear it up with the best of them if he has to, he just doesn't need to, as there is no one out there who can trade with him.

It's sad really, as the Klit's would be exciting if there was a few young Holyfield's, Bowe's, Tyson's, Lewis's Holmes's around that could put them on the back foot and test them.

If we just a had a few big hitters like Tyson and huge powerful athletes like Lewis and Bowe around the place, the Klist's would be great to watch.

It's not there fault know one is around to give them a hiding, Wlad with his dodgy chin would great to watch, if Tyson was around gunning for him with TNT in both arms and slipping the jab and landing bombs.

Vitali would never back out of a tear up with any man, can you imagine him having a tear up with a big man like Bowe, a Foreman, young Lewis, or a young warrior who never give up like Holyfield or a wicked fast young and powerful Tyson.

I think they are great champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

For the people who voted they aren't boring, please give us your opinions.

In what way do you find them entertaining?

Pretty sure if you read the thread you will find some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

corny wrote: »
    I think the question should be are the Klitschkos involved in boring fights.

Are they boring? No

Are they involved in boring one sided fights? Sometimes yes.

Who's fault is it? Not theirs anyway.

They're more unlucky than anything else. Fighters are often defined by the rivalries they create and sometimes even a loss to an opponent in an epic can enhance a reputation more than drumming out victories like the Klitschkos.

Theres also an element of them lacking the charisma needed to sell boxing to the masses. They're stand up people. I watched Chuck Wepner's story recently and he said Ali asked him to call him a '**gger' to promote the fight! Unfortunately the Klitschkos don't resort that type of nonsense to sell themselves. Maybe they should and threads like this wouldn't feature.

Tyson, foreman etc. had many very one sided fights, most of tyson's early fights were so one sided but they were still not boring as he won in exciting fashion!

Vlad wins in a dominant way but is still safety first and boring!

Nobody is questioning their character but I agree with you that they lack the charisma to sell the fight like an Ali, Mayweather, Hatton etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,978 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RXMPS wrote: »
    Exactly.

Vitali especially is far from boring, it's just there is no one out there to give him a good scrap and test him.

This is a very good point. Vitali has no fear, and the fact that he's so big and tough and dominant makes his fights appear boring. Look at Chisora and how easily Vit simply kept him at bay, AND, if for some resaon Chisora was faster and better at getting close, I am sure Vitali would have responded and beat him up. The opposition simply does not really test these guys. It's a shame there are no talents like Tyson, Frazier, Liston, Foreman, Ali, Holmes etc that could make these guys work so very hard. Even a Tommy Morrisson, Mercer, Tua and Ruddock would be great scraps, and scraps where Vitali would show us his mettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Are they boring? I'm not sure, the Germans where they base themselves love them... but they also love The Hoff so not sure about their sound judgement. And there's that whole Nazi thing too...

If they weren't they would have given us the heavyweight fight that would bring the division back to life

Klitschko VS Klitschko

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

full_irish wrote: »
    Are they boring? I'm not sure, the Germans where they base themselves love them... but they also love The Hoff so not sure about their sound judgement. And there's that whole Nazi thing too...

If they weren't they would have given us the heavyweight fight that would bring the division back to life

Klitschko VS Klitschko

Eh what does that have to do with the Klitschkos?

• Advertisement

Klitschko VS Klitschko

Unfortunately you revealed your ignorance here, hence rendering the remainder of your post null and void.

Unfortunately you revealed your ignorance here, hence rendering the remainder of your post null and void.

I have the cardinal mistake of forgetting to hold [ALT] + [SARCASM] when i put in the bit about the Nazi's.

My bad for assuming that it was obvious.

But in regards to the brothers fighting each other... it should have happened years ago, but never will unfortunately.

I have the cardinal mistake of forgetting to hold [ALT] + [SARCASM] when i put in the bit about the Nazi's.

My bad for assuming that it was obvious.

:D With some of the stuff you'd see on this forum such a comment wouldn't have surprised me. Unfortunately boxing fans aren't a very bright bunch generally. :p
    But in regards to the brothers fighting each other... it should have happened years ago, but never will unfortunately

It's not a spectacle I ever want to see, for reasons I've outlined before.

It's not a spectacle I ever want to see, for reasons I've outlined before.

And these reasons would be?? And yes I checked the rest of this thread and there was not much in it.

And these reasons would be?? And yes I checked the rest of this thread and there was not much in it.

Here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73707141&postcount=31

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73711716&postcount=33

I do see where you're coming from.

But answer me this Gene, do you have a brother?

cus i know from my personal experience (and mates who i've talked to about this fight who also have brothers) that the relationship between two brothers is quite unique in that ye could be having a scrap one minute and its all forgotten extremely easily.

I do see where you're coming from.

But answer me this Gene, do you have a brother?

cus i know from my personal experience (and mates who i've talked to about this fight who also have brothers) that the relationship between two brothers is quite unique in that ye could be having a scrap one minute and its all forgotten extremely easily.

Yes, I do and we're very close in age. When we were younger we fought all the time, and still spar occasionally. But that's totally different to brutalising each other on a world stage for money and essentially trying to damage each other personally.

The goal in boxing is to KO the opponent, in contrast to something like tennis where the goal is to score a point against your opponent. In a KO the brain bashes against the skull, causing a temporary disconnection resulting in a loss of consciousness. The implications of the damage done could lead to serious long term damage. It's called chronic traumatic brain injury and its well established in boxers and NFL players. The risks are greater with heavyweights who hit harder. Why would anybody do this to their own brother, and with millions watching? Disgusting.

The goal in boxing is to KO the opponent, in contrast to something like tennis where the goal is to score a point against your opponent. In a KO the brain bashes against the skull, causing a temporary disconnection resulting in a loss of consciousness. The implications of the damage done could lead to serious long term damage. It's called chronic traumatic brain injury and its well established in boxers and NFL players. The risks are greater with heavyweights who hit harder. Why would anybody do this to their own brother, and with millions watching? Disgusting.

Replace brother with 'another person' for money and that sums up the premise of boxing. At the core it is a disgusting sport and can not in any way shape or form be compared to tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,978 ✭✭✭✭walshb

gene, I was going to respond to the post about the bros fighting, but you have covered all areas, bravo!

• Advertisement

Looks like I'm outnumbered on seeing the two heavyweight champs fight each other.

Advertisement