Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Assuming you've read all the b!t©h!ng about 3 and difficulty maintaining 3G signal on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I've read this which does put me off a bit and I've read about their awful customer service but hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with that (cross fingers).

The problem I have with the other packages is the amount of data. If there was even a decent 5Gb package for the 40 euro price point that three offer I'd seriously consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

matrim wrote: »
    I've read this which does put me off a bit and I've read about their awful customer service but hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with that (cross fingers).

The problem I have with the other packages is the amount of data. If there was even a decent 5Gb package for the 40 euro price point that three offer I'd seriously consider it

If you can get hold of an Eircom account number from a friend or family member you could go for the eMobile offer???

€34.50 for unlimited everything for life!!

SGS3 costs €239 with this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Zagato wrote: »
    Assuming you've read all the b!t©h!ng about 3 and difficulty maintaining 3G signal on this thread.

Is there 2G signal good for talking and texting? Ive read a little about 3G in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Zagato wrote: »

Is there 2G signal good for talking and texting? Ive read a little about 3G in this thread.

I think I actually meant another thread in this forum, upon reflection. They don't actually have any 2G network, so they rent 2G network space. This means that if you lose 3G, your phone switches networks to get signal, the problem arises in that it won't switch back automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 simply_beaut

Hi Guys,
    Need advice, i am thinking to move from fruit to s3, is it possible to transfer all my sms, contact etc from iphone backup?
    I heard the latest version of Kies allows that but lots of people having trouble with that.
    Has anyone made the move and regretted?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Hi Guys,
    Need advice, i am thinking to move from fruit to s3, is it possible to transfer all my sms, contact etc from iphone backup?
    I heard the latest version of Kies allows that but lots of people having trouble with that.
    Has anyone made the move and regretted?
    Thanks

Im not sure about texts but contacts etc.. shouldnt be a problem..

I will add this clause

Android IS NOT iOS
    things are different, be prepared some a bit of a learning curve.

I have seen too many people switch cry and switch back without allowing themselves a reasonable amount of time inbetween to learn and get used to things.

I made the switch 3 or so years ago it took some getting used to but I would NEVER switch back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

How are SG3 owners finding the battery life on the SG3?

Considerably better then the GS2.

fionny wrote: »

I will add this clause

Android IS NOT iOS

I have seen too many people switch cry and switch back without allowing themselves a reasonable amount of time inbetween to learn and get used to things.

I made the switch 3 or so years ago it took some getting used to but I would NEVER switch back now.

Thanks,
    Cool will give it a go,Yeah i have tried android before and didn't like it but now ICS tick all my box.
    Just to be on safe side, will buy S3 first and if i managed to get all my sms ( very imp) happy days else keep my iphone
    Appreciated your reply.

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    Cool will give it a go,Yeah i have tried android before and didn't like it but now ICS tick all my box.
    Just to be on safe side, will buy S3 first and if i managed to get all my sms ( very imp) happy days else keep my iphone
    Appreciated your reply.

If you didnt like android before then you still wont. ICS looks prettier but its still inhernetly the same as Gingerbread / froyo etc before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Cheers... can you provide some stats?

I can get a good day n half out of my S2. That's with a lot of use - calls/texts/wifi etc.

Cheers... can you provide some stats?

I can get a good day n half out of my S2. That's with a lot of use - calls/texts/wifi etc.

Well with an 8am start and my average usage its still generally at 50% at midnight.

Whereas the GS2 was generally at around 30-25% battery.

My average useage generally consists on tonnes of emails / IM messages some phone calls and a fair bit of browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I will add this clause

Android IS NOT iOS

Thanks,
    Appreciated your reply.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.faked.isms2droid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

About a day and a half of modest use with about 20% remaining yesterday, better it seems than my previous phone (Desire Hd)

I get about a day out of mine maybe less, slightly better than my SII that had an Anker extended battery.

I never leave the damn thing down tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Anyone know what the "media server" is for? Its using up battery and how do I get rid off it, and does anyone know any tips for battery life? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Agree!

iDann wrote: »
    Anyone know what the "media server" is for? Its using up battery and how do I get rid off it, and does anyone know any tips for battery life? Thanks.
    Menu -settings - more settings - nearby devices

Is sharing turned on in there?

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Menu -settings - more settings - nearby devices

Is sharing turned on in there?

Media Server is for the music players pretty much.

I should note on my GS2 I was running Juice Defender also and still had worse battery i havent bother installing it on the GS3 yet as i have no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Anyone know how to edit the panels on the home screen, to allow for different size widgets and rearrange widgets?

MargeS wrote: »
    Anyone know how to edit the panels on the home screen, to allow for different size widgets and rearrange widgets?

TW isnt very customisable. I assume you do not mean long pressing on something to move items?

If you want more power I suggest looking at a different launcher, id suggest Apex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

As it's a new toy I'm playing with it a lot during the day and I have to charge it at night on the locker beside me. Not a hope of getting into a second day with it. That said my last phone was the same so I'd say the battery life is no better or no worse than most smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Tried to use App 2 SD to move apps froms primary memory to SD card. Used it with my previous Sony Ericsson phone. I get "The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated". Not sure if its a limitation of the phoe or it may be because I didn't have an SD card installed when I installed App 2 SD. Anyone else seen it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 howzat

unklerosco wrote: »
    Type *#7465625# A window will pop up telling you what locks are on.

Thanks for that unklerosco. Galaxy S3 on Vodafone is locked:(

Back to my original problem re Wifi and no internet connection over Wifi on my Galaxy S3. I got Samsung Galaxy S3 on Tuesday 12th June from Vodafone. Initially Wifi was working fine. However after 2nd charge, the wifi was no longer working. Correction, the wifi is connected, Signal strength Good etc but CANNOT access internet. Went back to Vodafone shop, they tried to help but no success. Advised that I ring Vodafone data support which I did, went through everything with them, finally he suggested that I do a factory reset and hey presto Wifi internet connection back again - that was yesterday. I charged phone yesterday evening and tried to go online after about 10pm and internet gone again and hasn't returned. Can I stress that wifi is connected and phone recognises connection is good etc. I have googled this issue and there does seem to be a wifi problem with some Samsung Galaxy S3's. Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

RangeR wrote: »
    "Samsung" "staffer" "confirms" "release" "April" "2012"
    "elReg&#34 wrote:
    A Samsung staffer has confirmed that the Galaxy S III smartphone will be out next month, as past rumours and the handset's officially recognised absence from this week's Mobile World Congress (MWC) have suggested.

That said, the source, who whispered in the ear of the chap from ZDNet Korea, spilled the beans under the condition he remain anonymous, so this is no official confirmation of the launch.

The mole didn't discuss the handset's specs, which are said to centre on a quad-core processor - a kind of chip Sony, for one, doesn't think is ready for prime time - a 12Mp camera and a curved OLED screen.

It's hard to see it not shipping with Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

The indications are the S III will be go on sale first in the UK, tied into Samsung's sponsorship of the London Olympics this summer.

Wish I had got this instead of my iPhone

howzat wrote: »
    Thanks for that unklerosco. Galaxy S3 on Vodafone is locked:(

Back to my original problem re Wifi and no internet connection over Wifi on my Galaxy S3. I got Samsung Galaxy S3 on Tuesday 12th June from Vodafone. Initially Wifi was working fine. However after 2nd charge, the wifi was no longer working. Correction, the wifi is connected, Signal strength Good etc but CANNOT access internet. Went back to Vodafone shop, they tried to help but no success. Advised that I ring Vodafone data support which I did, went through everything with them, finally he suggested that I do a factory reset and hey presto Wifi internet connection back again - that was yesterday. I charged phone yesterday evening and tried to go online after about 10pm and internet gone again and hasn't returned. Can I stress that wifi is connected and phone recognises connection is good etc. I have googled this issue and there does seem to be a wifi problem with some Samsung Galaxy S3's. Please help.

Return it and demand a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Return it and demand a replacement.

What he said... I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Haven't had a single problem with mine since I got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Tried to use App 2 SD to move apps froms primary memory to SD card

Tried also, doesnt seem to work, no issue with space on the phone and its probably faster than an SD card anyway, got rid of the app instead

Advertisement