Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Can someone tell me how to import the sim contacts to the phone? Setting up my dads New s3 and he is coming from a old Nokia. Can't for the life of me figure it out. Have a one x myself and its a lot simpler to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Can someone tell me how to import the sim contacts to the phone? Setting up my dads New s3 and he is coming from a old Nokia. Can't for the life of me figure it out. Have a one x myself and its a lot simpler to do.

GoTo Phone
    Click the Contacts Tab,
    Hit settings button (left hand button beside home button)
    Select Import/Export
    Import from Sim Card

:)

Dont see how it could be a whole lot easier tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Probably a silly question.

In the stock browser, how do you get the top menu to appear without scrolling to the top of the page? Or preferably, where is the "home" button?

If I'm on really long pages, I've to scroll to the top and it's a right pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

fionny wrote: »

GoTo Phone
    Click the Contacts Tab,
    Hit settings button (left hand button beside home button)
    Select Import/Export
    Import from Sim Card

:)

Dont see how it could be a whole lot easier tbh.

Think he means the old sim is a mini and the new one is the micro so it won't fit.

god's toy wrote: »
    Think he means the old sim is a mini and the new one is the micro so it won't fit.

I doubt thats the question, but if it is probably easiest is to go to a shop and ask them to transfer them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

how do you add a word in predictive text

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

Hi guys,long time reader (especially on this thread) first time poster. Just got my s3 a few hours ago,so far so good.
    My biggest problem,but its not with the phone (so maybe im posting in the wrong place) is that i had a old big sim,and gave it to the guy in the shop to transfer all my contacts to the mini sim,grand,except when i gave him the pin number it wouldnt work,done it 3 times,sim locked,not to worry,he got me the puk code,i entered it into phone and it asked for new pin,i put in 4 zeros and verified it,then bam it said sim card rejected,now my sim wont work at all so i cant get any of my old contacts,old friends from college etc etc,anyone any ideas? Guy in the meteor shop didnt no what to do,said he could do no more, to be honest im on a big downer now and its taking the joy out of getting the s3.
    Sorry for the long first post,hope somebody can help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Probably a silly question.

In the stock browser, how do you get the top menu to appear without scrolling to the top of the page? Or preferably, where is the "home" button?

If I'm on really long pages, I've to scroll to the top and it's a right pain in the arse.

Hit the menu button and it should jump back to the top and display what you are looking for :-)

Hi guys,long time reader (especially on this thread) first time poster. Just got my s3 a few hours ago,so far so good.
    My biggest problem,but its not with the phone (so maybe im posting in the wrong place) is that i had a old big sim,and gave it to the guy in the shop to transfer all my contacts to the mini sim,grand,except when i gave him the pin number it wouldnt work,done it 3 times,sim locked,not to worry,he got me the puk code,i entered it into phone and it asked for new pin,i put in 4 zeros and verified it,then bam it said sim card rejected,now my sim wont work at all so i cant get any of my old contacts,old friends from college etc etc,anyone any ideas? Guy in the meteor shop didnt no what to do,said he could do no more, to be honest im on a big downer now and its taking the joy out of getting the s3.
    Sorry for the long first post,hope somebody can help

Have you got the PUK code to unlock the SIM? If not you should be able to get it on-line or call your network customer services team.

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Have you got the PUK code to unlock the SIM? If not you should be able to get it on-line or call your network customer services team.

Cheers,
    M

I already put the puk code into the phone and made a new pin number but as soon as i done it the sim seemed to lock,,now when i turn the phone on to enter the puk again it wont allow me to,it just says sim card rejected on screen

• Advertisement

I already put the puk code into the phone and made a new pin number but as soon as i done it the sim seemed to lock,,now when i turn the phone on to enter the puk again it wont allow me to,it just says sim card rejected on screen

Strange....have you tried in a different handset that takes normal sized SIM's?? Worth a try and see what it says.....

Cheers,
    M

Strange....have you tried in a different handset that takes normal sized SIM's?? Worth a try and see what it says.....

Cheers,
    M

Yap,tried it in two phones,im pure sick over it,all my old school friends etc were on it among others. I think ill try ring meteor but cant see them able to do anything,they will probly say go to the shop. When the guy in the shop asked me my pin first i had a mental block,couldnt think of it for a second,lol, and when i told him what it was he tried it and said no,thats not it,i started to doubt myself then,we tried it 3 times and it was 100% the pin code,the guy in shop thinks i got it wrong:rolleyes:. But it shouldnt have mattered anyway coz we had the puk code and it let me enter it and let me change the pin and as soon as i did enter the new pin twice it stopped working

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Yendred

Anyone see the 32GB version available anywhere?

Nope it doesn't :(

Menu shows at the bottom alright, but the top menu doesn't show. Only way I can get it to show is scroll to the top of the page.

Funny thing, the S2 (ICS 4.0.3) shows the top menu when you hit the menu button on the bottom. Odd eh?

The S3 is ICS 4.0.4
    Hit the menu button and it should jump back to the top and display what you are looking for :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Yendred wrote: »
    Anyone see the 32GB version available anywhere?

It takes micro SD cards I got my 32gb card here for €25 euro, total 48gb ,bigger available

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MB-MSBGAEU-32GB-Class-Micro/dp/B005FY61EK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340298985&sr=1-6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Nope it doesn't :(

Menu shows at the bottom alright, but the top menu doesn't show. Only way I can get it to show is scroll to the top of the page.

Funny thing, the S2 (ICS 4.0.3) shows the top menu when you hit the menu button on the bottom. Odd eh?

The S3 is ICS 4.0.4

Hold down the menu button

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Yendred

chris1970 wrote: »
    It takes micro SD cards I got my 32gb card here for €25 euro, total 48gb ,bigger available

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MB-MSBGAEU-32GB-Class-Micro/dp/B005FY61EK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340298985&sr=1-6

Reason 1: Using an SD card slows apps down:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224352/Slow_smartphone_It_s_not_the_network_it_s_NAND_flash

Reason 2: Using an SD card slows down booting and shutting down yer phone:
    http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/21786/does-moving-apps-to-the-sd-card-negatively-affect-performance

I have an old iPod Touch with 8GB internal storage that I'm bumping my head against continually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Phone has 16gb internal. Use it to store apps and relevent data.

SD card for photos and music (ie the big space users). I've got a 32GB class 10 sd card just for this and have no slow downs.

Yendred wrote: »
    Reason 1: Using an SD card slows apps down:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224352/Slow_smartphone_It_s_not_the_network_it_s_NAND_flash

Reason 2: Using an SD card slows down booting and shutting down yer phone:
    http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/21786/does-moving-apps-to-the-sd-card-negatively-affect-performance

I have an old iPod Touch with 8GB internal storage that I'm bumping my head against continually.

Thanks matrim. That sort of works.
    Holding the menu button brings up the address bar and voice search button.

I've to click the back button to get the "normal" top menu (refresh button, address bar, bookmarks button, tab button)

Just seems a bit daft really! Looking more like an oversight by Google/Samsung. :confused:
    matrim wrote: »
    Hold down the menu button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Ok had a strange thing happen. Got a text in and the phone just vibrated - no notification sound. So I opened up the settings and sure enough it has reset just the notification sound to "Undefined". So I clicked and searched for the sound file and what do you know its gone. I now have only about 5 notification sounds left on the phone!

BTW - the phone is not rooted and these files are in /system/... which is not accessible to me so I can't have deleted them.

• Advertisement

What is the best cover on the market for the s3? I work on a farm and this is the first touch screen phone ive had so i wana protect it, i can be a bit rough on phones so need a good cover,oil,****,dust,dampness,bangs etc all common place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

THe Otterbox commuter case has just become available this evening;
    http://www.otterbox.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Commuter-Series/77-21092_A,default,pd.html

Looks the business! :cool: Expensive though. Expansys have it at €35.99 and estimated 9 days to come in stock: http://www.expansys.ie/otterbox-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-commuter-case-black-233358/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

does anyone notice a clicking noise from the camera when you open it? you will need to be in a quiet place to hear it. or is just mine :( thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi, I'm having trouble with getting s voice to work.

It keeps giving me a "network error, please try again" message.

My signal is good and on speedtest.net it's over 2mbs at the moment, so can't be a connection error from my end.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm on the three network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Zonda999 wrote: »

Id rather drop my phone from the top of a skyscraper then have to use that horrid program.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yes but for many people it holds the last 6 years+ of playlists and music metadata :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Everyone seems to be impressed with the battery life but mine is shocking!

I had it fully charged at 99 percent last nigh, turned off wifi etc and this morning my battery was at 45 percent!

As well as that, it is really slow sometimes when loading the menu page and apps.

Did I get a dud version??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be impressed with the battery life but mine is shocking!

I had it fully charged at 99 percent last nigh, turned off wifi etc and this morning my battery was at 45 percent!

As well as that, it is really slow sometimes when loading the menu page and apps.

Did I get a dud version??

No, How many hours are you talking about. Turning Wifi off is not a good way of saving power as far as I am concerned because by turning wifi off you are instead using a mobile network data which uses more power.

I dont know what people are expecting but if i get a day and half from a smartphone then thats pretty damn good.

Advertisement