Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying problem with 3 mobile data connection

Options
  • 13-06-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I presume this is common problem for a lot of people on 3.

To use my mobile data, I've to each time to into settings-mobile networks and click "network operators" and let the phone scan and then select 3. It then says "registered to 3". Fine....I get 3G/H/H+ signal and all is good.

But when I lose that signal/out of coverage or turn mobile data off, I've to go through the whole process again :mad::mad:

My g.f who's also on 3 told me that's what she's been doing from day one(over a year ago) as I always wondered lately why she'd have full 3G coverage while I was only get G(basically can't even load google page)

IIRC someone here said that this is a known issue with 3 and that there's no fix for it? Is this true?

Its really, really, really annoying having to do that every few mins just to use the internet. I never had this problem on my S2 but since I switched to the S3 last week, I've had to do this method as there was no alternative that I knew of.

Any help on this guys?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yuuuuuuuup. Its true, no fix for it.

What happens is that three are the first and only entirely 3G network. Their antenna are all pure 3G, but they dont cover everywhere. To compensate for this, they buy space from vodaphone, 2G space. This means you have phone coverage 99% of the time, but not so for data.

I take commuter rail reasonably frequently, end up losing data 3-4 times a trip. Pain in me hole. But w/ AYCE data for €20 a month, its not enough to force me away.

I'd consider writing an app to fix it, but it'd need root I'm pretty sure, and my XS is bootloader locked for the moment :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

ED E wrote: »
    Yuuuuuuuup. Its true, no fix for it.

What happens is that three are the first and only entirely 3G network. Their antenna are all pure 3G, but they dont cover everywhere. To compensate for this, they buy space from vodaphone, 2G space. This means you have phone coverage 99% of the time, but not so for data.

I take commuter rail reasonably frequently, end up losing data 3-4 times a trip. Pain in me hole. But w/ AYCE data for €20 a month, its not enough to force me away.

I'd consider writing an app to fix it, but it'd need root I'm pretty sure, and my XS is bootloader locked for the moment :mad:

It's so annoying :(

So your saying that someone like yourself can actually fix it but 3 won't/can't?

I'm on the €20 a month offer as well which is the best deal I've ever been on Payg so I'm not changing networks just for that.

But I would love one day to have it sorted. I don't understand though why it never happened on my S2? Only swapped to S3 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I had this problem on my phone galaxy s2 but i changed my rom to omega rom and since that its been working fine no problems about 4 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

There is no menu setting anymore in ICS to select 3G only our even 3G preferred, like there was in 2.1-2.3
    I don't know if this is part of the problem. That does not necessarily mean that there is not a way to do this.

It might be worth keeping an eye on E.V.A.'s thread in the SGS3 forum discussing/finding codes to change phone settings.

You may remember that the menu for disabling fast dormancy on the s2 also allowed changing above network settings

Maybe I'm wrong actually(still looking for that old thread, had buckets of info).

The reason it doesnt work for me on the 2G is the my phone sees it as a foreign network...screeny below...and thus treats it as roaming, and I have data roaming off. Enabling it may fix it(will try in a sec) but then my concern is that if I hit a blackspot where 3 3G and 3 2G are both out of range and it defaults to another carrier, and push data over them. That said, I dont know enough about the routing at that stage to know if the APN would be unreachable or not.

screenshot_2012-06-13_0411.png

EDIT: Why three have two networks(3G) I have no idea.

• Advertisement

Found her: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056633140

Also, its reminded me of the WCDMA fix, which is a decent stop gap. Most phones allow you to force WCDMA(3G) so that it'll never connect to the vodaphone 2G network in any way. This has the upside of meaning it'll always be 3G data, but its that or nothing. If you're in a 2G zone the phone wont connect at all.

Going back to fixing it as I mentioned above, my idea is an app could fix the problem, so theoretically three could fix it. But the way different FW's implement things could make it difficult for them to make a one size fits all fix. I'm gonna do some reading on this now.

Update: just ran some test, phone clearly sees the 2G network as vodafoneIE, that makes things simpler, I think. *goes back to reading API*

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Had this problem on my S2. Not anymore. Try this - go to your "mobile network settings", check out your "network mode", check "WCDMA only".
    That did it for me.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Had this problem on my S2. Not anymore. Try this - go to your "mobile network settings", check out your "network mode", check "WCDMA only".
    That did it for me.

This option is not available on S3 firmware

Appreciate the help so far lads. I'll keep an eye here to see how things develop. :)

Zagato wrote: »
    That did it for me.

It is on my S3? Just checked there and I can indeed set it to WCDMA only mode!?

• Advertisement

That did it for me.

Oh, well then go for that, our maybe WCDMA preferred it that's an option

That did it for me.

Oh, well then go for that, our maybe WCDMA preferred it that's an option

Well so far so good. I selected WCDMA only mode and it's kept 3G/H+ signal, even when I turn screen off or moved areas.

So straight away this has made things alot more manageable.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

That did it for me.

Worked a treat for my s2 too, thanks. Very rarely have no signal at all but massive, massive improvement on how it was before. Don't get the annoying signal lost triangle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Am using RR and I cant seem to locate that setting

Mc Love wrote: »
    Am using RR and I cant seem to locate that setting

Yeah, it's not on CM9 either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Install 3s custom radio driver binary (comes with official firmware) and this issue should go away. If not complain and get released from contract because their own software doesn't work with their own network. Also forget about getting any kind of support from them over this. They clearly can't be bothered fixing it, has been going on for over 3 years with them.

Forget about getting any support from them if you got custom rom, or even if you got official.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Open the dialer, and type in the following network code.
    It should get you to the testing menu.
    Scroll down under the Phone Info section, and you should see an option for "preferred network type".
    It's probably set to WCDMA preferred, but you'll get the option to set it to WCDMA only which should sort out your problem.
    *#*#4636#*#*

DISCLAIMER!!
    • This works on Samsung SG2, Samsung Galaxy Spica, and original HTC Desire which is all I can confirm personally.
    • They are however the only phones I've tried it on.
    • I cannot guarantee that it will work on your handset.
    • You should google the code for verification before simply typing in a suggestion given to you on an internet forum to solve your problem :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

niallb wrote: »
    Open the dialer, and type in the following network code.
    It should get you to the testing menu.
    Scroll down under the Phone Info section, and you should see an option for "preferred network type".
    It's probably set to WCDMA preferred, but you'll get the option to set it to WCDMA only which should sort out your problem.
    *#*#4636#*#*

[COLOR="Red"]
    DISCLAIMER!!
    • This works on Samsung SG2, Samsung Galaxy Spica, and original HTC Desire which is all I can confirm personally.
    • They are however the only phones I've tried it on.
    • I cannot guarantee that it will work on your handset.
    • You should google the code for verification before simply typing in a suggestion given to you on an internet forum to solve your problem :-)
    [/COLOR]
    Can confirm the above code also works on Galaxy Nexus. Hope setting it to WCDMA also works as I have the issue too and it's quite annoying

*#*#4636#*#* is pretty much a standard for Android, and is totally harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

There are reports that it can occasionally stop you sending text messages on some networks.
    This is because there is also a space on that page for the SMSC (SMS Center) number,
    and with some networks if this box is blank it wipes the setting instead of leaving it unchanged.
    If this were to happen, you can find the SMS settings on the mobile boards here, type it into the box, and should be good again after pressing update.
    You should also just be able to put it in in the SMS settings under System settings, but phones vary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've had to do the same from day one as well OP. It's really REALLY annoying.
    I can't set it to 3G only coz as soon as I go into a building, I lose signal completely so can't make/receive calls. :rolleyes: I'd say my phone spends 75% of the time on 2G.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of switching networks now.

I've had to do the same from day one as well OP. It's really REALLY annoying.
    I can't set it to 3G only coz as soon as I go into a building, I lose signal completely so can't make/receive calls. :rolleyes: I'd say my phone spends 75% of the time on 2G.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of switching networks now.

Their Payg €20 per month deal is the only thing making me stay with them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I've started having problems with my One X in the last few days. It's unbranded car phone warehouse one on 3 payg. When I got it about 4 weeks ago mobile data connection was amazing. Connected to H (HSDPA) every single time. Now at best I get E (Edge) even in Dublin city centre and it's so slow. Don't know if it's phone or network related. Really not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Had that very problem in work with both the S1 and S2 but not with the S3!
    Others I work with never had it (Also on three) so it's just depends I suppose.

Also as this is my first phone to hold on to its 3g/H+ and reconnect as soon as it's available I'm not going to ROM it at all! (Shock Horror!)
    Seeing as every time I wanted use the net over the last few years I had to scan the networks first and it drove me nuts I'm more than happy to leave a working phone alone.

god's toy wrote: »
    Had that very problem in work with both the S1 and S2 but not with the S3!
    Others I work with never had it (Also on three) so it's just depends I suppose.

Also as this is my first phone to hold on to its 3g/H+ and reconnect as soon as it's available I'm not going to ROM it at all! (Shock Horror!)
    Seeing as every time I wanted use the net over the last few years I had to scan the networks first and it drove me nuts I'm more than happy to leave a working phone alone.

Well since I changed modes from GSM/WCDMA auto to "WCDMA only" the problem has been eliminated completed for me. Anyone I click mobile data on now it picks up straight away and always 3G/H+.

The downside is sometimes I'll get zero signal due to been in a 2G zone and switching over to VF network(which is part of 3's deal I'm told)

But tbh I'm delighted not to have to manually configure mobile data 15/20 times a day like I used to.

I'm considering Flashing a ROM as I'm rooted using CF method.

Anyone know if I have to flash with odin on pc or can I use CWM to flash? Bit of a noob when it comes to this area :rolleyes:

It depends on how the ROM is packaged.

You could have a look at mobile odin which allows you flash ROMs through Odin just using your phone - think it's a paid app though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I've noticed my s3 with the R symbol a couple of times but it seems to automatically go back to H+ itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I've noticed my s3 with the R symbol a couple of times but it seems to automatically go back to H+ itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Having a similar problem with my HTC One V. When i have it set to "GSM/WCDMA auto", I have full 5 bars of signal, but mobile internet (3G signal) is pretty crap/non-existent.
    But when i set it to "WCDMA only", I get near perfect 3G signal, but with only 1 or 2 bars of phone signal. And it also drops out of signal from time to time also.

Also, on my previous phone, HTC Wildfire S, i had it set to "WCDMA only" and it worked grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Since changing to WCDMA only I havent lost connectivity as much which is great.

Advertisement