Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Davie89 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good case??

This one arrived today & it's excellent!!

It's a soft silicone one but gives very good coverage.

The screen protectors are also very good & cut perfectly for the phone!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290719498316&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

Sorry for poor picture quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

The LED is above the screen to the left, it behind the plastic so you can't see it until its on.

FWIW i'm running TW on mine and i'm really not the person to leave anything alone. It just seems to work well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Looking to pre cache a few maps. Is it possible to get this data saved onto external sd card? How do I do it if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

justmaybe wrote: »
    An incorrect phone number is showing up on the Status of my new s3, does anyone know how to change the number?

That cannot really be helped AFAIK, its to do with the SIM not the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

justmaybe wrote: »
    An incorrect phone number is showing up on the Status of my new s3, does anyone know how to change the number?
    fionny wrote: »
    That cannot really be helped AFAIK, its to do with the SIM not the phone.

Yes, this is information being pulled from your SIM, the MSISDN to be technical, some operators allow access to it and some don't, Meteor don't for me for example while o2 do.

If the number is incorrect there's something wrong on your SIM card.

• Advertisement

Mines been wrong since i moved to meteor 3 years ago, it shows an 085 number I have an 083 number it hasnt posed a problem whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Mines been wrong since i moved to meteor 3 years ago, it shows an 085 number I have an 083 number it hasnt posed a problem whatsoever?

It's not going to cause a problem with anything just that the MSISDN information isn't correct on the SIM, shouldn't cause any issue other than the one described of showing the wrong number.

Fair enough :) Can't say its ever bothered me overly much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭vicM

draffodx wrote: »

It's not going to cause a problem with anything just that the MSISDN information isn't correct on the SIM, shouldn't cause any issue other than the one described of showing the wrong number.

as far as i know, happens when you port your number eg you were on meteor originally hence have an 085 number, if you port to three and bring over your number your Sim will still show your three number though you are using your 085

vicM wrote: »
    as far as i know, happens when you port your number eg you were on meteor originally hence have an 085 number, if you port to three and bring over your number your Sim will still show your three number though you are using your 085

Yup that is pretty much it, Just the other way around for me :) the only main network I havent been on is vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Just got my new s3 today . Wondering now how to get the new micro sim card activated . The old sim in the old phone is still working. I'm on Vodafone. Thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Any official accessories available in Dublin instore anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Just got it at last. Was a throw up between this and the one x. Decided on this for the processor. Tis lightning fast alright. Didn't think the blue looked nice at all. Its big though. Don't like holding it in one hand.
    ~400 on 6month contract with o2. Shortest one and dunno how long I'll be in Ireland.
    Screen is nice for doing stuff.proper size. Need a case amid screen protector now. Few useful links here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

OTA update available today. Nice to see Samsung are keeping on top of it. Haven't done it yet will wait till I'm on wifi.
    One a side note, I got mine with 3 and it's unlocked but it has the 3 boot animation and planet 3 installed. Strange they branded it but never locked it. Not complaining mind.
    Coming from an iphone4 this yoke is another level altogether. You gotta have big hands though. :)

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    OTA update available today. Nice to see Samsung are keeping on top of it. Haven't done it yet will wait till I'm on wifi.
    One a side note, I got mine with 3 and it's unlocked but it has the 3 boot animation and planet 3 installed. Strange they branded it but never locked it. Not complaining mind.
    Coming from an iphone4 this yoke is another level altogether. You gotta have big hands though. :)

I've just rooted phone. Will I lose the root if I update firmware??

I presume ill lose all my apps and settings and have to manually set them up again? Any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I presume ill lose all my apps and settings and have to manually set them up again? Any way around this?

Have been on iPhone for years so I'm new to Android. Can I ask, what is the benefit of root, is it like jailbreaking?

acalmenvoy wrote: »

Have been on iPhone for years so I'm new to Android. Can I ask, what is the benefit of root, is it like jailbreaking?

Yes in a way it is. But you will have way more functionality with android anyways even without rooting.

No OTA update on mine? (meteor) possibly affecting three's firmware only?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

No OTA update for me, on Three.

EDIT:

Kies got an update but not the phone. Have 4.0.4 now

god's toy wrote: »

No OTA update for me, on Three.

EDIT:

Kies got an update but not the phone. Have 4.0.4 now

What does it fix? If anything.

Will I have to manually one by one download all my apps again and set up folders if I update?

• Advertisement

I put the phone into flight mode over night and the drain was a bit less than when on. 15% in 8.5 hours, compared to the 25% with it on.

However, as you can see from the screen shots, something is still causing the phone is "wake up". I've turned off everything in the process of trying to find out what it is, but still cannot find out.

Can someone have a look at the shots and see if ye can pick out something.

I must say that the connectivity issue I'm having(keeps giving me a connected to wifi network notification every few mins) could be causing these wakelocks?? I don't know myself.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to sort out the wakelocks.

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012061213022.th.png screenshot2012061213022.th.png screenshot2012061213030.th.png screenshot2012061203561.th.png screenshot2012061213020.th.png screenshot2012061213303.th.png screenshot2012061213014.th.png screenshot2012061213032.th.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

What does it fix? If anything.

Will I have to manually one by one download all my apps again and set up folders if I update?

Kind of 50/50 on that as sometimes it has and sometimes it hasn't wiped it.

You never really know what they kies updates fix as it's not often reported.
    BUT most of the time when you get a Kies update you get a Firmware update very shortly after.

You can back everything up using kies anyway and restore after if needed... And/or Google will give you a chance to reload all your apps if it is formatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

kenyard wrote: »
    ~400 on 6month contract with o2.

What do you pay per month? How many/much texts,talk and data?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

400 minutes/txts +1gb data
    or you can vary the minutes and txts to 600/200 of each either way.

50 per month (so 300 over the 6 months)

way i look at it, phone is retailing at ~600 at the minute, (on prepay it will be offered at 530 when it comes available but that could be another month or more and possibly locked in those cases...though will be easy unlock i guess)
    so im paying 720 euro for the phone over 6 months and then free of contract and have more than adequate usage over that time... 6 months on any network will cost you 20 euro a month for much less usage (so 600+ (6x20) = 720), so it works out same and i dont have to fork it up front, and needed to be on o2 for work as its either vodafone or o2 reception only here (yes i can pick three, but apparently their roaming is causing serious issues when you want to switch on data from reading about it here)

either way o2 offering a short contract got me to take them on.
    meteor seem the best offer to me given longer term offers.

i priced vodafone and over the 18 months it was coming in well over the 1k euro mark and thats for minor amounts of minutes and texts, they would have been my preference in terms of reception at work since i struggle on o2 even, but theyre just not worth it.

Update for me, O2 unbranded

Screenshot_2012-06-13-08-13-28.png

Confirmed the OTA update is on mine this morning,

Mine failed in CWM:

Finding update package...
    I:Update location: /cache/fota/update.zip
    Opening update package...
    I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keys
    Verifying update package...
    I:comment is 1796 bytes; signature 1778 bytes from end
    E:failed to verify whole-file signature
    I:verify_file returned 1
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Also confirmed, got it this morning, unbranded, emobile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

I9300XXLF2 Update on meteor this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Anyone noticed any significant improvements post-firmware update?
    Mine's running now..

Advertisement