Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thor wrote: »
    As opposed to talking to someone on the phone.

Not much difference if you ask me.
    Holding your phone out in front of you and asking it to tell you tomorrow's weather or saying "I want to take a picture" sounds and probably looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

It uses micro sim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Skerries wrote: »
    no, says Sim here

also it has a barometer!!!

whats the weather like GS3?
    windy!

It is most definitely Micro Sim. Look the hardware video here, he takes the back off toward the end and you can see its a micro sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

It is most definitely Micro Sim. Look the hardware video here, he takes the back off toward the end and you can see its a micro sim.

Also, he says it's a microsim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Ar_k3heCMAA_S5H.jpg:large

Removable battery is a big plus for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Or maybe theyre just not that impressed?

Precisely. I held off on getting the One X for this and I'm kinda iPhone 4S'd by what was unveiled. I was expecting at least a non-pentile generational improvement over the Nexus, with the possibility of a ceramic shell.

The phone looks nice enough, I prefer a physical home button and I like the power button placement on the side but it's just such a iterative model. I'll be buying the One X tomorrow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

On the flipside...
    The One X has:

Tell me more.

I'm not being sarcastic, honestly. i just want to make an informed purchase.

Yeah, I think the removable battery is the killer here. The HTC One X lacked here and it was a pity.

I think all phones should have a removable battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

It said it would be avaiable in Europe on the 29 May but it didn't say what countries. I wonder will it b available in Ireland on 29 May

Holding your phone out in front of you and asking it to tell you tomorrow's weather or saying "I want to take a picture" sounds and probably looks ridiculous.

Don't hold it out in front of you then, If you are conscious about things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Because you look like a pratt using it

Not whilst in the car etc....it definitely has uses.

You can also just put phone to ear and you look the same as when you're making a call.

Looks no more like a prat than people walking down the road using headsets.

Precisely. I held off on getting the One X for this and I'm kinda iPhone 4S'd by what was unveiled. I was expecting at least a non-pentile generational improvement over the Nexus, with the possibility of a ceramic shell.

The phone looks nice enough, I prefer a physical home button and I like the power button placement on the side but it's just such a iterative model. I'll be buying the One X tomorrow.

Why are you choosing the one-x over it? I don't get what you're saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

leemaree wrote: »
    It said it would be avaiable in Europe on the 29 May but it didn't say what countries. I wonder will it b available in Ireland on 29 May

Three Ireland confirmed the 29th of May.

I think that it will look a lot better "in person" than in pictures.

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Three Ireland confirmed the 29th of May.

I think that it will look a lot better "in person" than in pictures.

I think so

Pre-order is back on expansys, no price yet tho

http://www.expansys.ie/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-16gb-blue-230428/

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Why are you choosing the one-x over it? I don't get what you're saying

The same reason I use to have an iPhone 4.. the screen. It's ridiculously good.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Tell me more.

I'm not being sarcastic, honestly. i just want to make an informed purchase.
    Well... as someone who was still considering the S3 up to a few hours ago.

For one, the screen on the One X is really second to none. The S3's screen on the other hand has lower pixel density, pentile matrix and poorer colour reproduction (Or so it appears anyway).

As for gaming, they both have powerful SoCs but the One X (The Tegra 3 version anyway) benefits from having easy access to Tegra exclusives like Dark Meadow. It's by far the best looking game i've seen on a handheld device (Let alone a phone).

As for software, it's really personal preference. On the one hand, you've got Sense UI and on the other you've got Touchwiz. Having used both I have to say I prefer Sense UI. TouchWiz always looked far too similar to the iPhone for my liking.

The main gripe I have however is with the materials and aesthetics. Looking at the photo of the back cover removed it looks more or less like a glorified Galaxy S1 or Galaxy Europa. It just doesn't feel right on a phone that costs in excess of €500.

The same reason I use to have an iPhone 4.. the screen. It's ridiculously good.

But you haven't seen the screen!

Isn't that new nokia screen supposed to be the best out there?

I wonder are all the networks in Ireland going to carry it?

leemaree wrote: »
    I wonder are all the networks in Ireland going to carry it?

I would say so, I'm just hoping that three announce there plans for it. Three in the UK have announced their plans.

Should be a matter of time before all networks do so here.

Vodafone UK has dibs on the 32GB model for the first month in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The screen is the same as the Galaxy Nexus with a slightly lower dpi (due to the .15 inch screen size increase).

Nokias screen is gorgeous in everything but resolution. SLCD2 is on par with it in everything but deep blacks and daylight according to some reports

Thor wrote: »
    Don't hold it out in front of you then, If you are conscious about things like that.
    So I should put the phone to my ear and say "What will the weather be like tomorrow?" or "I want to take a picture"? :confused:

I just don't see it catching on tbh.

So I should put the phone to my ear and say "What will the weather be like tomorrow?" or "I want to take a picture"? :confused:

I just don't see it catching on tbh.

Don't then, the point is that some will be able to and will want to, but those without a phone that can will never be able to.

I would rather have the feature and not use it much, than not have it at all.

It's basically a slightly enlarged version of what's on the GN. Don't get me wrong, its a really good screen, but it's no where near as good as what's on the X - which is generally regarded as the best of whats out there at the moment. Nokia? Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

€1349 for the wireless charger :O

edit: Seems to have changed to nothing

It's basically a slightly enlarged version of what's on the GN. Don't get me wrong, its a really good screen, but it's no where near as good as what's on the X - which is generally regarded as the best of whats out there at the moment. Nokia? Not a hope.

Look at the screen on the Lumia 900 & N9. Its really stunning but the resolution really lets it down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The screen is the same as the Galaxy Nexus with a slightly lower dpi (due to the .15 inch screen size increase).

Nokias screen is gorgeous in everything but resolution. SLCD2 is on par with it in everything but deep blacks and daylight according to some reports

Sammy are calling the screen 'HD Super AMOLED' I wonder if its just a nexus/note (tiny bit bigger/smaller) screen or is it a perfected/refined technology that may not show up those pentile issues...

Look at the screen on the Lumia 900 & N9. Its really stunning but the resolution really lets it down

I haven't seen the 900 but I love the 800. If I had the money to have two phone I'd have a cyan 800 without a moments hesitation and while the screen is very good, I doubt even Elop would describe in terms of "best out there".

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Sammy are calling the screen 'HD Super AMOLED' I wonder if its just a nexus/note (tiny bit bigger/smaller) screen or is it a perfected/refined technology that may not show up those pentile issues...

HD Super AMOLED is what the GNex is using.

Advertisement