Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'm curious as to what you think is the downside with the One X's display? I think its the best display I've seen on any device.

SLCD2 is more power hungry than Super Amoled and has a lower Contrast ratio. SLCD2 has better clarity than the pentile Amoleds. Some analysis in the article below.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/galaxy-s-iii-microscope-hd-super-amoled/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

fionny wrote: »
    Ah better proccesor
    Expandable memory
    Bigger screen
    It uses SIM not poxy micro sim
    2100mah battery compared to 1800mah
    Thinner.

They are things.
    Well for one, microSIM isn't exactly that much of a horror seeing as you can just walk in to any carrier and get your sim exchanged for free. As for the screen, it's 0.1" bigger but has lower pixel density, pentile matrix to exacerbate things and first impressions is that it's not quite as nice as the SLCD2 on the One X. As for it being thinner... 0.6mm isn't exactly that big of a difference. Being that particular, the One X is 3g lighter.

On the flipside...
    The One X has:
    Tegra 3 with all its developer support
    A nicer design and nicer materials
    A better screen
    No ridiculous iPhone-esque gimmicks like S Voice
    No Touchwiz (Although that's a matter of taste)
    Probably better camera hardware. If there was anything special about the camera Samsung would have definitely made a big deal out of it to trump the One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Its funny how no-one that bought a one-x is impressed by the S3 :D

Says the man who just told me he was considering buying a LTE One x:P

I'm sorry but when you look at each of their pros and cons, they're quite comparable phones, and it will come down to preference i.e. brand loyalty or aesthetic preference, which for me would be the One X hands down.

I only said that as a dig at the fact the LTE dual core version is the better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I like it. Has some cool stuff. It's much more like the Galaxy S1 than the S2, in that it's lauching with alot of features that haven't been implemented in stock android yet.

This is good, in that it has cool things like s-voice and floating videos. It is also bad as some of these features will never be implemented in android or will be implemented in a different way.

This will inevitably make AOSP roms a bitch to code as they will have to figure out a way of adding these features in OR more likely simply leave them out. It also means S3 adopters will likely have to wait longer for future android upgrades.

Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on it to see if it's worth all the hype. Only negative on the hardware side I can see is the missing Plus from the end of HD Super Amoled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Chet T16 wrote: »

Ya strange that...

As was already said this is going to come down to preference...
    A nicer design and nicer materials

So youve handled the S3 then? Lucky you.
    No ridiculous iPhone-esque gimmicks like S Voice

Voice has a place when done right.
    Tegra 3 with all its developer support

Ya cause nobody develops for the biggest handset manufacturer in the world... that would be CRAZY idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I only said that as a dig at the fact the LTE dual core version is the better phone

Haha, you sir are a pain in the ass :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Inquitus wrote: »
    SLCD2 is more power hungry than Super Amoled and has a lower Contrast ratio. SLCD2 has better clarity than the pentile Amoleds. Some analysis in the article below.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/galaxy-s-iii-microscope-hd-super-amoled/

Have u actually used a One X and its screen? Its leaps and bounds better then any other phone out there. It will take something special for S3 to beat that
    what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

The HTC One X has no card slot and comes at a maximum size of 32GB. The SGS3 comes in at up to 64GB and has a MicroSD slot for another 64GB. Bringing it up to 128GB.

nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

what do you mean?

He means that people who already took the plunge have pre-formed their opinions in order to prevent feeling dissapointed..

• Advertisement

Also, I believe the Galaxy S3 also uses MicroSim.

what do you mean?

Just an observation. If i had've got a one-x (and i nearly did) i'd be defending it now too

Thor wrote: »
    The HTC One X has no card slot and comes at a maximum size of 32GB. The SGS3 comes in at up to 64GB and has a MicroSD slot for another 64GB. Bringing it up to 128GB.

nuff said.

if storage is your main thing then yes.
    Just an observation. If i had've got a one-x (and i nearly did) i'd be defending it now too
    He means that people who already took the plunge have pre-formed their opinions in order to prevent feeling dissapointed..

i dont think thats the case. If you yourself had a One X, is the S3 a big of a jump for you to ditch the one x for this device?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Inquitus wrote: »

I'm not convinced the power savings (if there actually are any) of AMOLED on mobiles has ever been sufficiently quantified. They use less power on blacks and more with whites compared to LCD panels.

Viewing angles, contrast, colour reproduction combined with dpi nothing has impressed me as much as the One X's screen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

nuff said.

It's a phone, not an external hard drive :P

It's a phone, not an external hard drive :P

No, but it could be!!

Can't say the internal storage would bother me, i didn't have an sd card in my s2 for ages and never missed it

unless u carry and watch a load of HD videos, i think 32gb is more then enough for lots of apps games and music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Also, I believe the Galaxy S3 also uses MicroSim.

no, says Sim here

also it has a barometer!!!

whats the weather like GS3?
    windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people complaining about Voice when it certainly something that is going to get better.

I use Siri, and it's handy for setting alarms, reminders and short texts, especially when driving and it does work.

Don't see what's so ridiculous about it as it will improve.

• Advertisement

Hooray my esat digifone sim lives on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ya strange that...

As was already said this is going to come down to preference...
    What's there to be impressed by really? I was expecting something better and have been completely underwhelmed.
    So youve handled the S3 then? Lucky you.
    Glossy plastic is glossy plastic. The material looks the exact same as the plastic they've been using for the past few years. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem likely.
    Voice has a place when done right.
    But has it been "done right"? There's still the major issue of people being self-conscious in whispering instructions/questions to their phone in public.
    Ya cause nobody develops for the biggest handset manufacturer in the world... that would be CRAZY idea.
    I never said no one will develop for the S3. Of course they will. What i'm saying is that Tegra 3 will have its fair share of "exclusive" titles that may need to be modified to play on other devices. A good example is Dark Meadow.

Skerries wrote: »
    no, says Sim here

also it has a barometer!!!

whats the weather like GS3?
    windy!

Says microsim on gsmarena.

It's possible they are wrong.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmm... as a GS2 owner I can't see anything "must have" in this

- Camera improvements - meh, but then I'm not a camera nut anyway

- Voice control - can get that on my GS2 and never used it because none of them recognize the Irish accent reliably enough to be usable

- Touchwiz - hate it.. in fact I use a Win 7 style launcher which I find a lot better .. and unlike Windows Phone 7 (which I also have for work), with Android behind it, it's actually usable and not frustrating by not having things you take for granted.. like full settings controls, custom keyboards, lots of decent free apps and so on...

- Bigger screen - nice, but I was already considering a Note and this is smaller

- Faster CPU - again, I've yet to install anything that taxes my GS2

- Battery life - again good but with Slim ICS my GS2 is doing over a day anyway and that's enough for me (chargers everywhere :))

In summary then there's not much here to encourage me to rush out and get one - think a Note or maybe a Note 2 would still be my preference

TLDR: Underwhelmed! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people complaining about Voice when it certainly something that is going to get better.

I use Siri, and it's handy for setting alarms, reminders and short texts, especially when driving and it does work.

Don't see what's so ridiculous about it as it will improve.

Because you look like a pratt using it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Says microsim on gsmarena.

It's possible they are wrong.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

They frequently are. But is it really an issue for people anyway?

PogMoThoin wrote: »

This. Forever.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

As opposed to talking to someone on the phone.

Not much difference if you ask me.

As opposed to talking to someone on the phone.

Not much difference if you ask me.
    big difference. everyone knows your talking to a proper human being at the other end of the phone whilst instead of talking to a blooming phone like a robot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Or maybe theyre just not that impressed?

Nice phone with some nice software features.
    Hardware is nothing to shout about but it was never gonna be revolutionary. Screen is a fraction larger version of the Nexus(without the software buttons so more real estate). Personally I prefer the SLCD2 compared to the AMOLED (colour respresentation is better then deep blacks imo). I like the Microsd option but I never filled my old GS2 even without using one so doesnt matter to me as much as others. Bigger battery is always fun! Camera wise id say the quality will be on par with the Nexus with the newer software features similar to HTCs.

Software wise I liked the Smart Stay feature (no need for the notification icon when its working though. Should just do it in the background). S Voice will be used like most people use Siri now, novelty and Car. Wake up commands are nice for driving. Overall though, its still gonna be Touchwizs clumsy mess which I dont wanna get involved with again. A lot of the social features sound like theyd annoy the piss out of me (trying to send pictures to friends automatically if it detects their faces although the auto face detection is a nice feature IF it works well). Overall though nothing mind blowing and everything already exists or probably will be before release.

Advertisement