Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Beubeu wrote: »
    Annabella1 wrote: »
    can't believe the negative vibes...this was a great result against the World Cup Finalists in their own back yard.

Best result in Paris in 12 years.

They came close in 2008 too when we were playing our worst rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

teednab-el wrote: »
    It's reality and my analysis is to the point. We have a kicker that can't place kick.

Do you watch rugby on a regular basis? There's more to being an outhalf than being able to kick penalties (which Sexton does extremely well). Its not like a punter in NFL that just kicks and leaves the field.

Sexton is superb at getting the backline moving and is one of the best defensive outhalves in the world.

Saying that Sexton can't place kick is just absurd. He missed one kick last week against Italy for instance. He is one of the best kickers in the northern hemispere.

This is a stupid discussion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

we didn't really. Got within 5 points with 4 minutes to play

never looked like winning

Hmmm, im pretty sure our 2008 team would hammer the pre-BOD era teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I can't agree with this, Sexton is head and shoulders the better rugby player than ROG is, he is just missing the boot and perhaps the cool head. Sexton has been immense in this 6N imo, work rate, tackling and offensively, focusing on the kicking game is in my opinion a very narrow view of the game. Sexton has probably saved Ireland more in defence than a lot seem to understand, particularly against side with larger centres. ROG leaves us a man down defensively and half a man down offensively. He is superb behind a big pack but internationally we don't compete up front so he no longer fits our game.
    You just made the best comment that I have read so far about ROG and Sexton. Rugby is not about kicking and because Ireland doest compete up front ROG is not the best pick anymore. And not to forget he is at the end of his career so Sexton is the future and Ireland needs to play with him as much as possible in order to make him more and more confident. He will probably never be as good as ROG but this is it. ROG was just a incredible kicker. France doesnt have a kicker as good as ROG but they manage pretty well without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Kayless wrote: »
    draw or not winning against France or any other team in the 6 nations is not as important as winning the competition if you look at the 6 nations table we are first on points difference so if Wales lose to France we could still win the competition and that's without our captain

Paul O'Connell is our captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

How anyone could watch the defensive performance Sexton put in today, in a game where he kicked 3/4 (the three kicks he did make are being overlooked for whatever reason), then decide he's not the best option is just beyond me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Phew after an hour of frantic searching managed to find my €20 accumulator betting slip from two weeks ago, Italy to beat england (-7) and Ireland to Beat France (-9) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Do you watch rugby on a regular basis? There's more to being an outhalf than being able to kick penalties (which Sexton does extremely well). Its not like a punter in NFL that just kicks and leaves the field.

Sexton is superb at getting the backline moving and is one of the best defensive outhalves in the world.

Saying that Sexton can't place kick is just absurd. He missed one kick last week against Italy for instance. He is one of the best kickers in the northern hemispere.

This is a stupid discussion anyway.

Sexton is well known in France to be a very good player and a good kicker. Cant believe some Irish supporters don't see that too. Must be a provincial thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

danthefan wrote: »
    How anyone could watch the defensive performance Sexton put in today, in a game where he kicked 3/4 (the three kicks he did make are being overlooked for whatever reason), then decide he's not the best option is just beyond me.

totally agree - have another look at the few tackles ROG attempted while he was on versus Sextons performance - ROG's tackling seemed half hearted even though he was on for a short time in at a crucial point in the game compared to Sexton's 100% throughout. Not to mention Sextons passing and offensive abilities.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    totally agree - have another look at the few tackles ROG attempted while he was on versus Sextons performance - ROG's tackling seemed half hearted even though he was on for a short time in at a crucial point in the game compared to Sexton's 100% throughout. Not to mention Sextons passing and offensive abilities.

ROG can't tackle worth a ****e. But he never goes in half hearted. In fact I'd wager he gets more punishment for attempting to tackle guys he hasn't a hope of stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sexton had a good game, made a few mistakes but with a player with so much ball, you need to allow that.

He was strong in defence and is the future of Irish rugby,

Time will tell if he can rack up more points then his predecessor.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Time to drop Heaslip. He's been a passanger in that team for two years now. Similar to O'Calllaghan...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

In fairness, not only is he the best option in Ireland, if a Lions team was picked in the morning, he'd be starting. Simples...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Time to drop Heaslip. He's been a passanger in that team for two years now. Similar to O'Calllaghan...

Why stop at two years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

uriah wrote: »

No he's not...

Time to drop Heaslip.

Oh sweet mother of...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

uriah wrote: »
    andyman wrote: »
    No he's not...

Should I break it to him, or will ye?

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest dropping Kearney and then the post match thread madness will be complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

Stats from @ruckingoodstats on twitter

Should have added that Bernard Jackman tweeted that he's on RTE Radio1 tomorrow evening at 7 and will be using stats from @ruckingoodstats for his analysis.

• Advertisement

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Should I break it to him, or will ye?

Don't know who that's aimed at, but I'm pretty sure that Brian O'Driscoll is still our captain and that uriah was being pedantic for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for someone to suggest dropping Kearney and then the post match thread madness will be complete!

Kearney should be dropped. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I thought Murray had a very good first half in more or less all aspects. If he played like that all the time the jersey is his, no question. He wasn't as good in the 2nd half, and it was very unfortunate he got injured, hope it's not serious. You'd have to pity Munster if they're stuck with TOL for an extended period now.

Munster may not be stck with TOL. Deccie could call him up.
    I pity them more bringing on Williams...

Swings things in Ulsters favour a little perhaps
    Who is next after Williams?
    GerM wrote: »
    Muttering to himself as he walks off isn't precisely hiring a billboard to publicly air his views. He was p*ssed off at being taken off. He muttered "F*ck sake" as he walked off. Not like he looked over, caught the camera looking at him and said it to the camera. I would say the exact same thing happened about a dozen times this weekend in the Pro12. Big whoop.

I think he was possibly berating himself.
    Sexton missed a howler today in front of the posts, cost us 3 points and a win in Paris. Never will be as good as O Gara for place kicking. We wait on for a win in Paris, hopefully not for another 30years.
    It's reality and my analysis is to the point. We have a kicker that can't place kick.

You'd swear O Gara never missed a kick when he was first choice 10 for Ireland[/QUOTE]
    Clegg wrote: »
    I keep seeing people calling for ROG to start and the justification for that is a drop goal he scored in 2009. It boggles the mind.

I think Sexton is the superior player but I've no problem if a Munster fan disagrees with me. I'd just like to hear some proper reasoned opinions other than drop goals and goal kicking. There is so much more to a 10's game than just these aspects. I'll also argue that Sexton isn't even a bad penalty taker.

In 2009, ROG's shockingly poor goal kicking against England almost cost us the game and with it the GS would have been lost. He missed 4 very kickable chances. We were ultimately winners because BOD dropped a goal. His was just as important as ROG's in the Wales game. O'Gara also has his off days with the boot. Sexton is so much more a complete player in every other way that to call for ROG over him is frankly the opinion of those who don't really understand the role of the 10.

Is there a mass trolling episode on boards tonight or something???

Every George Hook wanabe thinks Heaslip isnt up to it just because he's not bashing through people anymore.

Heaslip is still a fantastic number 8 and one of the best leaders on the team. There's no way in hell Heaslip should be dropped. Rotated occasionally maybe... but not dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

It's not so much that they don't understand the role of 10 jacothelad (though obviously they don't, that they so obviously have an axe to grind with a player whose greatest misdeed has been to 'not be ROG.' It's pathetic.

This thread actually fills me with sadness. I saw the pictures from the 2000 win recently, and there was an innocence to it that's been lost. No way back then would there have been anything like the spite and bile that some supposed 'fans' have towards certain players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

A lot of people posting their opinions here who really don't understand rugby and probably never played it. Embarrassed for some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jacothelad wrote: »
    Who is next after Williams?

I think Cormac Sheridan would be next after WIlliams, and I don't believe he has ever played pro rugby before?

But it seems that Murray will be fit for the semi final so maybe this will all be avoided.

TBH I don't think TOL is massively worse than Conor Murray, I think the only really noticeable difference is pass quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Tox56 wrote: »
    Still think we need a solution to the 13 question. Earls didn't leak defensively which is to his credit certainly, but was hardly involved in the attack up to 60 minutes

What are you talking about?

He was instrumental in Bowe's 2nd try drew two men deft pass to Tommy. BOD would be proud of that.

And I'm not happy with him at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

But it seems that Murray will be fit for the semi final so maybe this will all be avoided.

Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Fishooks12 wrote: »

drop kearney get swervin girvan back :D

Advertisement