Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

ongarite wrote: »
    Any news on Murray yet?
    Kidney said on BBC that at the minute it's being treated as a hyper extended knee, all the ligaments seem to be intact but that they won't know the full extent till the swelling goes down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭EmeraldNK

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    That's highly speculative and to be honest, nonsense

The team on the field for most of the second half was the 15 most fans wanted to see

They dropped ball gave away penalties and failed to take a near gimme drop goal, I fail to see how Kidney is to blame for us not winning

Our game-plans have been atrocious lately, but not today

Most of those players should have been starting, not on the bench (I think O'Brien starting was the right call though, myself). In that sense, Kidney is to blame. A lot of the second half mistakes are half down to terrible conditions though, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

That's highly speculative and to be honest, nonsense

The team on the field for most of the second half was the 15 most fans wanted to see

They dropped ball gave away penalties and failed to take a near gimme drop goal, I fail to see how Kidney is to blame for us not winning

Our game-plans have been atrocious lately, but not today

We kicked far too much possession away 2nd half when keeping the ball in hand is key against any decent team. The one period where we actually did that we threatened close to their line only for a knock on, despite Pearson missing the fact the french were offside. The team were forcing things 2nd half and looked uncomfortable in attack, much like a dozen games before this under this management. The worst part of not losing this is the prolonged averageness we will have to put up with

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Leinster7 wrote: »
    Do you work for the IRFU?

A team is only as strong as its weakest link, which in this case is Kidney. Putting aside his selection gaffes, this team went into their shell in the second half after a ferocious 1st half, rather then building on their position.

We lost the 2nd half 11-0.

You can point to inaccuracies but they are a reflection of the lack of confidence these players play with under their leader and manager.
    Not only do I work for the IRFU, I am Declan Kidney!

Ireland were not playing shadows out there.

France came out in the second half rejuvinated and tore into us.

They got a lucky try after the ball bounced around.

We were in their 22 a number of times at around the 68th minute, and instead of taking the Drop Goal, we wen't side to side and turned it over. That is not Kidney's fault.

Selection Gaffes? Murray had a brilliant game, DOC put in a solid 55 minutes work, Earls at 13 was defensivly sound and had a good game. This miraculous speeding up of the game, thats meant to suddenly happen when Redden comes on simply didn't materialise, because unlike Italy, the French hadn't given up, and pressured him at ruck time.

Kidney's selection and gameplan was spot on. We havn't been that close to beating the French in Paris in years... but no, Kidney clearly fúcked up...somehow... he must have... because he's a shít manager... and ...

Sometimes you need to look at the game and find the percieved problem, instead of looking at what you think the problem is and trying to fit it into the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭vixdname

Am happy with a draw in Paris, we always find it so hard to beat the French, only niggling feeling is that if Johnny Sexton hadnt made a hash of that first penalty we were awarded we would have won the game.

How many games have we lost so narrowly in recent years because of what should be text book easy scores that have been missed badly by Johnny Sexton.

I've no doubt Johnny is a great player and puts his body on the line each and every game but let face it, he is still way too inconsistent on the international stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

This has probably earned Kidney 2 more years... Yay;)

vixdname wrote: »
    Am happy with a draw in Paris, we always find it so hard to beat the French, only niggling feeling is that if Johnny Sexton hadnt made a hash of that first penalty we were awarded we would have won the game.

How many games have we lost so narrowly in recent years because of what should be text book easy scores that have been missed badly by Johnny Sexton.

I've no doubt Johnny is a great player and puts his body on the line each and every game but let face it, he is still way too inconsistent on the international stage

And why is that Deccie?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

molloyjh wrote: »
    Why!? We played fairly similarly against Australia and he wasn't involved then. At the end of the day we've had 1 big game in each series over the last 18 months. So far this 6 Nations has been par for the course. With 2 games left lets see how we do in those.

Thought Sexton was excellent today and MOTM should have been between himself and Kearney. Fez put in another incredible performance too. Murray definitely upped his game which was good to see. Not sure we'll see him again though in this tournament. Hopefully I'm wrong.

And for all the stick he's gotten from myself and others I thought Earls did well. Nothing spectacular but did his job. Made his tackles and put in a lovely little pass to Bowe for his second try. Would be happy to see him start at 13 for the rest of the tournament.

We're now in that same position as we were after the NZ game in 2010, the England game in last years 6 Nations and the Oz game in the RWC - we've put in a performance that we can build on. Now let's just hope that we finally can build on it. I don't see it happening but would be delighted to be proven wrong....

Have to credit Foley for the cohesive back row with same personnel.It made a hugh difference to our defensive performance as well as ball carrying of all three back row forwards.The counter rucking was especially good commiting extra men to the rucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

kmart6 wrote: »
    Kidney said on BBC that at the minute it's being treated as a hyper extended knee, all the ligaments seem to be intact but that they won't know the full extent till the swelling goes down!
    It looked like it bent laterally rather than hyper extended. More like what happened to Contepomi back in 2009.

Hope it recovers quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And if Parra had made the one he badly pulled, we would have lost. And if Russia had declared nuclear war during the match, we wouldn't have finished, and if Heaslip hadn't knocked on we would have run up the field for a try and won the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

And why is that Deccie?

can you come up with anything more creative than "you must work for the IRFU" or "Is that you Deccie" when someone says something remotely positive about the Irish management ?

And if Parra hadn't missed his TWO kicks then France would have won the game. It didn't matter in the end.

I hate when people are happy with draws when we could easily have won the game had we pressed on with more of the same in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

And why is that Deccie?

LOL!! You just called a poster "Deccie" based on their previous post!!!!

H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

17-17 draw.

Are you from the future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

similar possession and territory stats in the game yet we lose the penalty count 11-4

I don't know how we managed to get penalised almost three times as many times as they did

was our discipline that bad?

And why is that Deccie?

My names not Deccie.

Because hes not settling in as quick as someone who is on an a national team should be, thats down to Johnny to deal with, Kidney can only give him his games in the hope that the experience he gains will help him in the long run, in the mean time we are losing games because of this.

Kidney cant afford to give Johnny Sexton extra resourses, he has the rest of the team to think about and Johnnys a big boy who needs to learn how to stand on his own two feet

can you come up with anything more creative than "you must work for the IRFU" or "Is that you Deccie" when someone says something remotely positive about the Irish management ?

Try this. We are 1.5 from 3 when we should be 3 from 3. I am fed up!

My names not Deccie.

Because hes not settling in as quick as someone who is on an a national team should be, thats down to Johnny to deal with, Kidney can only give him his games in the hope that the experience he gains will help him in the long run, in the mean time we are losing games because of this.

Kidney cant afford to give Johnny Sexton extra resourses, he has the rest of the team to think about and Johnnys a big boy who needs to learn how to stand on his own two feet

It's amazing how not one bit of this post is true. (unless you're name isn't actually Declan)

If you could give me an example of one game we lost by Sexton missing a kick I'd be very appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

rrpc wrote: »
    It looked like it bent laterally rather than hyper extended. More like what happened to Contepomi back in 2009.

Hope it recovers quickly.

It looked like medial collateral to me? I'll have to check the replay when it eventually comes on over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Best expressed in private, not while he's still on the pitch

Muttering to himself as he walks off isn't precisely hiring a billboard to publicly air his views. He was p*ssed off at being taken off. He muttered "F*ck sake" as he walked off. Not like he looked over, caught the camera looking at him and said it to the camera. I would say the exact same thing happened about a dozen times this weekend in the Pro12. Big whoop.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    And if Parra had made the one he badly pulled, we would have lost. And if Russia had declared nuclear war during the match, we wouldn't have finished, and if Heaslip hadn't knocked on we would have run up the field for a try and won the game.

Granted, but neither Parra, Russia, or Heaslip are so consistent in their **** ups in the face of easy scores

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Granted, but neither Parra, Russia, or Heaslip are so consistent in their **** ups in the face of easy scores

I have a feeling you dislike Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah come on. This crap has to stop. You're saying we lost because if a missed kick in the first 10 mins!? You're just desperately trying to find some way to blame Sexton. He got 3 from 4 today and 7 from 8 last week. This sort of post just makes a mockery of boards!
    Annabella1 wrote: »
    Have to credit Foley for the cohesive back row with same personnel.It made a hugh difference to our defensive performance as well as ball carrying of all three back row forwards.The counter rucking was especially good commiting extra men to the rucks.

But that's not something we didn't do the last time we played to our potential, so why is it Foley made the difference this time when it wasn't him who did against the Aussies?

GerM wrote: »
    Muttering to himself as he walks off isn't precisely hiring a billboard to publicly air his views. He was p*ssed off at being taken off. He muttered "F*ck sake" as he walked off. Not like he looked over, caught the camera looking at him and said it to the camera. I would say the exact same thing happened about a dozen times this weekend in the Pro12. Big whoop.

I'm not surprised. The players are fed up with Deccie too. After he told them to play his 'Territory' game 2nd half they came out looking deflated. Do you blame 'em?

Should be, but aren't. Deal with it. I really dislike Kidney's managerial style, man management, team selections and tactics. Needless to say, I want a different manager. BUT, I can give him credit in saying that except for the team selections and perhaps not being able to get a full 80 minutes of intensity from the team, his last 2 games have been an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I must say i think Kidney did a good job today and had the French worked out. The defence was excellent and intensity levels were the highest since the Australia game.

Of course people will now say how its les kiss who deserves the defensive credit and the players for the intensity credit... blah blah blah.

EmeraldNK wrote: »
    Should be, but aren't. Deal with it. I really dislike Kidney's managerial style, man management, team selections and tactics. Needless to say, I want a different manager. BUT, I can give him credit in saying that except for the team selections and perhaps not being able to get a full 80 minutes of intensity from the team, his last 2 games have been an improvement.

an improvement on what exactly? sh*te rugby? nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sexton's tackle count was great...hit hard and gave no ground.

As I said before if he sh1t a gold bar in the middle of the field then some of the posters here would complain that there was a smell of sh1t from it.

Look he missed 1 kick...parra missed 2 that ultimately cost them the game...will he get crucified as badly?

Who do these posters want at 10.....a supreme running, tackling machine who always makes the right decision, never ever ever misses a kick from anywhere and can drop goals from behind his own goal line....sorry he doesn't exist....sexton is the best we have and there's test nations out there who would have him in their team in a heartbeat...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Actually by my calculations we're still on for the moral grand slam.

• Advertisement

an improvement on what exactly? sh*te rugby? nice one.

Exactly! ;)

Advertisement