Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Best had an off day today. Throwing wasn't up to scratch, I'm not sure if it was a problem with the pods

Strauss will be an addition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭A-Train

Pearson was woefull today and Barnes as per usual giving Ireland nothing! The penalty kick that Kearney stopped from finding touch really was very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Have to say I am gutted. Gutted because we didnt win and gutted because many many question marks against Kidney remain unanswered

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Pearson was shocking both ways.

No chance Healy should've stayed on pitch. Could've lost D'Arcy for an offside in the "red" zone too.

The problem with Blind Dave is that he's just rubbish altogether, not biased, just ****e.

Kidney alluded to it there, I thought they got a lot of leeway when they went off their feet in the rucks, especially considering how we were penalised for it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

That was depressing. It would have been better to be trounced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Jernal wrote: »
    Officiating was rather woeful today, but luckily it didn't really cost any team. Gutted with the draw but if you had told me last night we'd draw I'd probably have eaten the head off you!:D
    Why what good is a draw to us? whatever chance we had were out of the running for 6 nations now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ferris was Irelands best player out there imo. He was an absolute monster in defence today. His carrying wasn't up to his usual standard but he can be forgiven that I think.

Kearney was brilliant and Sexton had his best match in a while for Ireland. Not happy with the draw though. We were stuck in the French 22 for a while in the 2nd half but came away with nothing.

Ryan needs to start next week. DOC is done.

Heaslip did some amazing work at the breakdown today but that knock on right at the end was brainless . Still had a decent game though.

With a different ref on the field we would have won that game IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Still think we need a solution to the 13 question. Earls didn't leak defensively which is to his credit certainly, but was hardly involved in the attack up to 60 minutes, after which he had a few bursts but please just put him back on the wing, he isn't a creative type player. He is being excluded from backline moves and replaced by Kearney at 3rd reciever. His defence has improved, and he would be a good defender on the wing.

It will be interesting to see what team goes out against Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

The line out wasn't great. However Tommy scored a sweet second try. Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Best had an off day today. Throwing wasn't up to scratch, I'm not sure if it was a problem with the pods

Strauss will be an addition

Think the pods did their job. We did one 'All Blacks' style move as well from a well executed line out. But yeah, poor lineout in general, but I think Besty didn't have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

A-Train wrote: »
    Pearson was woefull today and Barnes as per usual giving Ireland nothing! The penalty kick that Kearney stopped from finding touch really was very annoying!

Can someone clear this one up for me. If the player keeps the ball in play but lands out of play then is the ball considered to be out of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Flincher wrote: »
    Gert Peens. Anyone remember him? Monster drop goal in Lansdowne years ago.
    Nah..
    Awful name. Can imagine his schooldays. Oh I remember him, played for Italy.

Anyone notice SOB giving out about being taken off? Not nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

.ak wrote: »
    Ofcourse we're lucky for Pearson not to send Ciano off.

But it was the basics that infuriated me. We got pinged for going off our feet in the first half and then the French would be flying in from deep off their feet into the rucks and he didn't give us ANYTHING. I can name 5 different moments off the top of my head alone where France were not pinged when they should've been.

The knock-ons from France that also went 'unnoticed'. He is seriously bad a ref.

The French try and 2 penalty's came directly as a result of bad calls from Pearson, there were 2 knock ons and the scrum given against us when it was moving......

It was a joke that after the Wales stuff up they awarded him this game, something seriously wrong with the way the refereeing set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

"They did bloody well" - George Hook

Well I never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Cormic wrote: »
    Can someone clear this one up for me. If the player keeps the ball in play but lands out of play then is the ball considered to be out of play.

if he is touching the ball when he touches the line or outside it he is out and so is the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Clegg wrote: »
    Ferris was Irelands best player out there imo. He was an absolute monster in defence today. His carrying wasn't up to his usual standard but he can be forgiven that I think.

Kearney was brilliant and Sexton had his best match in a while for Ireland. Not happy with the draw though. We were stuck in the French 22 for a while in the 2nd half but came away with nothing.

Ryan needs to start next week. DOC is done.

Heaslip did some amazing work at the breakdown today but that knock on right at the end was brainless . Still had a decent game though.

Along with D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Piliger wrote: »
    We had the game. We threw it away.

What a bunch of absolute losers.

This is one of the most stupid comments I've ever read on these boards.

I do love the add to ignore list function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'm not too frustrated with the result because it was a fair reflection of the game in one of the hardest places to go in world rugby.

But I am frustrated with this team. Ireland have got to stop waiting for their backs to be up against the wall to start being aggressive and essentially just playing well. They only seem to produce the performances when no one expects them to. That attitude needs to go because it stinks of mediocrity and championship droughts. This group are capable of more. Produce it on a consistent basis for the next two games and we could sneak a win down in NZ which would do wonders for our position in the rankings and build confidence towards the AI. This 6N is essentially gone now but our new goal has to be getting into the top 4 in the world for the World Cup draw. Two 15+ wins against Scotland and it is possible versus England are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Should he not be honest about wanting to be on the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Must be frustrating for him. I thought he played well and his steal did ultimately set up Bowe's second.

I thought Best and Healy also looked a bit annoyed coming off. I suppose they just wanted to see it out.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yeah, saw him coming off and shaking the head, mouthing something.

Just a quick mention to Swarszecki

How can Andre justify starting this guy in an international game? He's woeful , always said it but at least with Lievremont I thought he was one for the future

Surely France have better young hookers out there if developing for the future is the reason Hercules is persisted with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While it is not nice to see, I actually prefer when players feel that way. We need that hunger and intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

.ak wrote: »
    Ofcourse we're lucky for Pearson not to send Ciano off.

But it was the basics that infuriated me. We got pinged for going off our feet in the first half and then the French would be flying in from deep off their feet into the rucks and he didn't give us ANYTHING. I can name 5 different moments off the top of my head alone where France were not pinged when they should've been.

The knock-ons from France that also went 'unnoticed'. He is seriously bad a ref.

ya it's really infuriating!

To watch SH refs the last two weekends blow attacking teams going off their feet at rucks like it has been sent down from the very top (PO'B) and then see that blooding crap today is just awful. i just wonder when i get up early at the weekends am i watching a different sport! and don't get me wrong i have no issue with players going to ground when clearing out, its the blatant diving on one's feet and no whistle that kills me...

any disappointing not to finish off the good work put in in the first half, and allow tommy bowe go down in history just like drico has!

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Think Earls shut up any critics he had today. He made fofana and rougrie look extremely average at times and his pass to Bowe was sublime.

Well done lads. Would like to see majority of subs start next week, very tough game today and have the English in 2 weeks

Otacon wrote: »
    While it is not nice to see, I actually prefer when players feel that way. We need that hunger and intensity.

Best expressed in private, not while he's still on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So where do we go from here?

Has our attack solution been fixed? Was the tight gameplan executed in the first half purposely changed in the second half, or did Ireland change tactics and couldn't stop the leak before the flood gates opened? Or was the French back just too immense?

Murray improved significantly. Such a pity to take that injury now. Who'll be called in? Boss, or TOL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Defence much improved, attack still awful.

Again, how much better did we look when Reddan came on? Immensely. We actually put phases together and got into the French 22. Bar the Tommy Bowe show in the 1st half, we offered nothing for 60 minutes. Very, very lucky to draw.

Advertisement