Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im 9th in my money league from 36 (Prizes for top 4)

Was 22nd at one stage, but have gradually went up. Still need few big weeks. Would be doing well to finish 3rd as the top two are nearly 100 points ahead.

Only my second year playing so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I've always been interested to know if taking points hits are really worth it. Last season I took a total hit of 16 points and won my money league and finished in the top 20k.

This season I'm just inside the top 18k and have taken zero points hits, again leading my main money league. I won't rule out taking hits but I usually only do them out of necessity eg: unable to field 11 players, rather than just to bring in the latest 'fad' player.

I see some people (not necessarily on here) who seem to take hits without batting an eyelid, so I'm curious to know two things:

1. How many points hits have you taken?
    2. What is your current overall position?

I'd be interested to see if there is any link.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Top of my main league by about 60 points and just inside the boards top 50, my team is actually good but bad captain choices have cost me hugely in the past month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

1,530 total (288 Overall) after GW25 , with a 4 point it once in an "emergency".

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Hi all, best of luck with the new forum. I don't have SF access so it's good to have the option of posting here :) Have been a regular lurker in the old thread and benefitted from the advice of many posters there. Despite which my overall score and position is mediocre, so take this post with a pinch of salt ;)

I have usually avoided taking points hits cos things are very tight in my midtable battles and every point counts. However I decided to have a little experiment in GW23 & 24. I had 4 transfers that I was planning in upcoming GWs so I decided to take the hit and do them 2 at a time.

In GW 23 I transferred out Nani (who didn't play) and Joe Allen (who scored 4)
    and brought in Gamst Pedersen (2 pts) and Valencia (7). Factoring in the 4 point hit, that meant a net gain of 1 pt for the GW.

In GW 24 Aguero (11) and Helguson (0) out--Bellamy (2) and Ba (9) in. With the 4 point hit , that's a net loss of 4 pts.

So overall for the 2 GWs I'm 3 pts worse off than I would have been had I not made those transfers.

It's that kind of decision-making that got me to the position I'm in today ;P

Despite which I'm planning on another hit this GW to replace Bellamy with Rooney (Pedersen will make way for a cheaper option to free up funds).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

61 pts behind the leader in 2nd place, I have a better team than him now. He was 120 pts ahead at one stage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I've 3 city players in all ready.

I could change Dryer if I wanted to - I've £2.4m in the bank at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

I'm going to have two teams next season. One where i never take any points hit and a second where i take a four point hit every week. Am in my 3rd season playing ff and have only taken a points hit on one occasion and it worked for me but i see my rivals making numerous transfers lagging behind me. You will just end up being reactionary imo. Have often been tempted to make a second transfer but most of the time am grateful that i didn't.

Shane732 wrote: »
    I've 3 city players in all ready.

I could change Dryer if I wanted to - I've £2.4m in the bank at the moment.

Shane, what's your forward line? Do you have a cheaper forward that you could upgrade to top-line forward. Personally, i always try to have 3 top strikers as they are a more reliable source of points, eg.look at bale- barely had a score or assist from jan 11 to oct 11, or look at silva since first 10 matches. Suarez has been very disappointing so far but is someone to consider in next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Running the rotation risk and going with Yaya myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Anyone going to take a punt on Pienaar for £7m? Looked very good against Chelsea last week and Everton look in form.

Their immediate fixtures aren't great but I still see him scoring a decent amount of points.

QPR v Everton

Everton v Tottenham

Everton v Arsenal

Swansea v Everton

Everton v West Brom

Norwich v Everton

Everton v Sunderland

Not sure if he's worth £7m, but I'm tempted by the fact that only .6% of people have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Taken 16 points which is not great.

Took 8 point hit in October to try and improve my team. I don't like to use wildcard early as this game is marathon not sprint.

Then took one at end November and then took one last week to get Ba back.

Last season I took 28 points:o, but was my first season and was being careless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

yaya Toure would be a good swap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Shane, what's your forward line? Do you have a cheaper forward that you could upgrade to top-line forward. Personally, i always try to have 3 top strikers as they are a more reliable source of points, eg.look at bale- barely had a score or assist from jan 11 to oct 11, or look at silva since first 10 matches. Suarez has been very disappointing so far but is someone to consider in next few weeks.

RVP, Aguero and Ba.

Planning on switching Aguero to Rooney after City's run of easy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I think I'll hang on to Valencia. Ferguson tends to exaggerate injuries so I wouldn't be surprised if Valencia only misses the Norwich and Spurs games.

If I was getting rid I'd probably get Dempsey or downgrade him to Pilkington or Moses so I could upgrade a striker to Rooney straight away.

Shane732 wrote: »
    RVP, Aguero and Ba.

Planning on switching Aguero to Rooney after City's run of easy games.

So u have Valencia(8.1m) Silva, Bale, McClean, Dyer

Rvp, Ba, Aguero

+ you already have 3 city players
    + you have 2.4m in the bank

I would keep Aguero and get rid of RvP. Cant see van Persie doing much for the rest of season. Presume you paid about 12m for him. This would allow you get someone like ashley young or nani into your team. I don't think Wenger will last the rest of the season and even if he does it is hard to see arsenal upping it. The next 2 matches in pl are vital for them because if hope of a cl spot vanishes, then one may as well foret about having any of their players. It is difficult to see van persie having much motivation in any case for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

dsmythy wrote: »
    Running the rotation risk and going with Yaya myself.

I don't think he's ever been rotated in the PL. Nor do I think will he. He is city's best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

1 Transfer hit. Top 40,000.

In previous years I have taken more hits and been in a higher position.

I don't think it's as easy as saying the less points hits you take the better you will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Argument for:
    AC Milan 4 - Arsenal 0
    Sunderland 2 - Arsenal 0
    Next three games: Spurs, Liverpool & Newcastle

Argument Against
    That Blackburn game.
    Sunderland 1 - Arsenal 2

Starting to think that Rooney is the better option right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Sacrilege

• Advertisement

Just noticed there Spurs and Chelsea replays on the 6th and 7th and next round ties on the 17th all interrupting with premier league schedule think will be keeping my two Spurs players nonetheless. what will you do

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

I've taken 12 pts worth of hits, I'm 1,353 overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I just have Bale out of both of those teams. Bar long term injury he's one of my players for the remainder of the season. So it will be the bench for him if he's not playing that gameweek.

RVP has showed that he can score and assist no matter how bad Arsenal are playing. With his current price he'd be very hard to get back in without sacrificing other areas of the team. Well that would only apply if you have him in since early in the season which i'm sure most people have. I'm not arguing against Rooney by the way. Just that it's worth finding a way to get both of them into your team. Also with Gervinho back i think once he settles back into the team he'll be other person to set RVP up.

Not a chance Yaya will be rotated. He started every game and only been subbed 4 times and they were all in convincing wins bar the Arsenal game.

Good thing about Valencia is that i got him in at 8 mil. He's currently 8.3. So i can hold onto him until after the next round of games and by then he may only have fallen the once. So i wouldn't lose anything on him. Gives me time to assess his injury situation and decide whether to get rid of not. Yaya would be a candidate but so would Nani.

There's also Stoke and Liverpool and Everton and Sunderland and Bolton

manual_man wrote: »
    Just noticed there Spurs and Chelsea replays on the 6th and 7th and next round ties on the 17th all interrupting with premier league schedule think will be keeping my two Spurs players nonetheless. what will you do

Don't see the replays having any impact on premier league fixtures.They are midweek fixtures. The quarter-finals will be played on the weekend of 18-19 March. Liverpool, Stoke, Sunderland, Bolton,Everton + maybe Chelsea and Tott Hot.

Fixtures for weekend 17-19 March

Blackburn
    V
    Sunderland
    Sat 17 Mar 15:00 Everton
    V
    Arsenal
    Sat 17 Mar 15:00 Fulham
    V
    Swansea
    Sat 17 Mar 15:00 Newcastle
    V
    Norwich
    Sat 17 Mar 15:00 QPR
    V
    Liverpool
    Sat 17 Mar 15:00 Tottenham
    V
    Stoke
    Sat 17 Mar 15:00 Wigan
    V
    West Brom
    Sat 17 Mar 15:00 Wolves
    V
    Man Utd
    Sun 18 Mar 13:30 Aston Villa
    V
    Bolton
    Sun 18 Mar 16:00 Man City
    V
    Chelsea
    Mon 19 Mar 20:00

So Fulham, Swansea, Newcastle, Norwich, Wigan, WBA, Wolves and Man Utd are only teams set to play as it stands. Other matches may be moved to days in same gameweek.

Argument for:
    AC Milan 4 - Arsenal 0
    Sunderland 2 - Arsenal 0
    Next three games: Spurs, Liverpool & Newcastle

Argument Against
    That Blackburn game.
    Sunderland 1 - Arsenal 2

Starting to think that Rooney is the better option right now.

His body language has been very poor recently but i think it would be foolhardy to get rid of him in this gameweek. One could save a transfer or make a transfer with the thought of getting rid of rvp but most people will sit tight for at least a week. There is nobody screaming out to be transferred in, in any case.

Not a chance Yaya will be rotated. He started every game and only been subbed 4 times and they were all in convincing wins bar the Arsenal game.

Good thing about Valencia is that i got him in at 8 mil. He's currently 8.3. So i can hold onto him until after the next round of games and by then he may only have fallen the once. So i wouldn't lose anything on him. Gives me time to assess his injury situation and decide whether to get rid of not. Yaya would be a candidate but so would Nani.

Nani had a very poor end to last season. How about ashley young? Should be really revved up to make an impact and gain a place in england's squad. Was outstanding at start of season but he would be a big risk and needs to hit the ground running after his long lay-off.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    1 Transfer hit. Top 40,000.

In previous years I have taken more hits and been in a higher position.

I don't think it's as easy as saying the less points hits you take the better you will do.

I agree and an experiment with two teams of the season could be telling. Top 40k is pretty good so you are not doing too bad with your arsene wenger transfer policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement