Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV speed issues - North Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Xcellor wrote: »
    Doubt it's throttling. More likely peak traffic. All the kids, all the parents, all students logging on to check facebook. Hate facebook.

NGB is only uncongested/uncontended to the exchange... whatever lies behind that would appear to be the problem.

Keep up the pressure. I will be moving from UTV this month if its sh1t when I get home from travle.s

But if this is the case then why does it work fine for months and then all of a sudden it turns to ****e for a lot of people in various geographical locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublin Dilettante

Anyone else's speeds fallen off a cliff today after a week or so of functioning normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Leeman79

This is my 17MB line (on 24mbNGB but 17 is what I get , well supposed to)

1825809921.png

Took me over 10 minutes to fully buffer a 3 minute youtube clip!!

This is BS and I will be leaving UTV after 5 years
    Probably gonna switch to Vodafone as UPC is not available in my area

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I've had enough! Been trying to download a 5gb file since this morning! Piss poor service. So Monday I'm telling them I'm not going paying for the last months service as they are nowhere near providing what they are charging for!

Going to get onto Comreg aswell as UTV are just ripping people off now! Other people I know not with UTV have no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭zoom_cool

Still crap logged a call heard nothing back will be leaving UTV as well

1825928112.png

• Advertisement

I always get fobbed off by their tech support so I really hate contacting them at all. But this is gone beyond bad service. Here's my latest result from a few minutes ago (8mb NGB)

1825928669.png

So it appears a few of us are ready to jump ship. Who's going with who? I'm undecided. No UPC in my area so that's a non-starter. I don't want to go with Eircom so what are the pluses and minuses of the rest?

O'Prez wrote: »
    So it appears a few of us are ready to jump ship. Who's going with who? I'm undecided. No UPC in my area so that's a non-starter. I don't want to go with Eircom so what are the pluses and minuses of the rest?

I'm in the same boat. A friend went with Vodafone and likes them so might try them. They have a "limited" cap of 350GB (ass opposed to UTV's unlimited of 75GB :D)

Don't know if there are too many alternatives to be honest. I would try imagine for the wimax only the pings are so high I couldn't play online games.

nacimroc wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. A friend went with Vodafone and likes them so might try them. They have a "limited" cap of 350GB (ass opposed to UTV's unlimited of 75GB :D)

Don't know if there are too many alternatives to be honest. I would try imagine for the wimax only the pings are so high I couldn't play online games.

I was just having a gander on the Vodafone website actually when I got the notification of your reply. It must be a sign :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I find my speeds are also bad also in the evenings. Last week, think it was Wednesday my internet service was gone for the whole day. I'm on the 8mb package and might only get 0.5mb from 6-8pm and then back to normal. Also even when I'm getting 7mb+ YouTube and other video services can be dog slow but can download a file at full speed.

75GB cap? I pay for unlimited and I go way over that without any issues. Anyone get a warning for going over it?

I've read the fair usage policy and all it says is to switch off any p2p software at peak times. If you don't and are causing congestion, they will let you know. After the second warning they say they'll throttle you at peak times from then on. So they don't throttle unless you are warned a few times.

• Advertisement

I was just having a gander on the Vodafone website actually when I got the notification of your reply. It must be a sign :eek:

If it wasn't for some of the horror stories I've heard about Vodafone I'd consider moving. The thread over Vodafone also doesn't inspire confidence. The 12 month contract is the killer as it's better the devil you know. The last time I looked at their packages, they were very attractive offering xboxlive membership, excellent cap, etc.

It does seem like there is some kind of throttling going on because it's usually during specific hours that it goes to almost dial up speeds and then returns to normal. But with that said I don't use P2P and never reach 75GB a month. Anyway I'll ring em on Monday for all the good that'll do me.

Can I ask where did people get 75GB?
    There is no mention of it in the FUP at all. Just the P2P at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Leeman79

AntiRip wrote: »

I got an email from them stating it after they sent me an email saying I was nearing my cap. I did not recieve the reply until 4 WEEKS after I sent it!!
    It does only seem to be stated on the NGB sales page

http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/ngb.aspx

3 Usage limits apply to all tariffs. Usage includes all information downloaded over your connection, as well as all information uploaded. Over usage is charged at €2.00 per GB. There is a Fair Usage Policy of 75 GB applicable to customers who are on unlimited usage. Terms and Conditions apply.

Whereas on the normal sales page there is no mention of a cap on the unlimited packages

http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/

3 Download limits apply to all tariffs, with a Fair Usage Policy applicable to customers who are on unlimited usage. Terms and Conditions apply

With all this BS and the SERIOUS speed issues Think its time to see whether the grass is greener on the other side

Leeman79 wrote: »
    I got an email from them stating it after they sent me an email saying I was nearing my cap. I did not recieve the reply until 4 WEEKS after I sent it!!
    It does only seem to be stated on the NGB sales page

http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/ngb.aspx

3 Usage limits apply to all tariffs. Usage includes all information downloaded over your connection, as well as all information uploaded. Over usage is charged at €2.00 per GB. There is a Fair Usage Policy of 75 GB applicable to customers who are on unlimited usage. Terms and Conditions apply.

Whereas on the normal sales page there is no mention of a cap on the unlimited packages

http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/

3 Download limits apply to all tariffs, with a Fair Usage Policy applicable to customers who are on unlimited usage. Terms and Conditions apply

With all this BS and the SERIOUS speed issues Think its time to see whether the grass is greener on the other side

I don't have NGB and definitely goes over the 75GB with 4 people using it especially since netflix. Never gotten any correspondence from them thank god.

AntiRip wrote: »

Think they changed their T&C in mid-December which is when they sneakily changed it I think! You were probably like me and checked when you signed up to the 12 month contract, without knowing they would move the goal posts on us half way through the contract we agreed to!

Ya, its only the NGB one thats limited to the ridiculous limit afaik!

Think they changed their T&C in mid-December which is when they sneakily changed it I think! You were probably like me and checked when you signed up to the 12 month contract, without knowing they would move the goal posts on us half way through the contract we agreed to!

Ya, its only the NGB one thats limited to the ridiculous limit afaik!

Don't have NGB so I'm fine I say :)

If they do change it I will definitely move, probably to Vodafone. 75GB is fcuking ridiculous this day and age with all the catchup services and Netflix. Vodafone's 350GB is fantastic but I say their network probably suffers from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

So the max on NGB with UTV is 75GB that's not great at all,

Eircom offer you 250GB with no over usage charges.
    Vodafone's cap of 300GB isn't bad at all aswell UTV seem to be ripping people off.

Vodafone's and Eircom networks don't suffer at all from having such high download caps giving how slow UTV have been this past couple of weeks i'm not sure if their network could even handle people on a higher allowance of 75GB.

1827837343.png

Getting 16% of what I'm paying for tonight so thats not bad! Grrr! :mad::mad:

Same here again. Unacceptable to say the least. Does Vodafone block any sites like Eircom does? Also, what are the upload speeds like with Vodafone?

• Advertisement

Same here again. Unacceptable to say the least. Does Vodafone block any sites like Eircom does? Also, what are the upload speeds like with Vodafone?

Vodafone don't block any sites at all think it's just Eircom who do that!
    Upload speeds with Vodafone would be the same as Eircom giving the nature of DSL technology it generally won't give you a upload of more than 512kbps on a residential home package only on business lines you can get ''upto'' 1Mb upload speed.

Just noticed aswell how crap my DSL is tonight it's not UTV tough it's Eircom speeds all over the place pings shooting up and down wildely download speed is maxing at around 3-4Mb it's always been 7Mb before tonight

the download could be grand then all of a sudden it goes to 0kb/s then just jumps back to life again.

Something seriously wrong happening to the DSL network in Ireland.

Thanks jay. I just sent the following email to UTV:

Hello.
    For a number of weeks now my broadband speed has been dropping significantly . This happens between the hours of 6pm to 12am approximately before returning to normal. My average speed when not being subjected to the constant drop is 6.7mbps. However when the speed does drop (every evening without fail) the average speed is anywhere from 0.15mbps to 2.0mbps. This is unacceptable. A number of UTV customers are experiencing the same problem in a wide geographical area and a thread exists on Boards.ie outlining this ongoing problem. You can view the thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056561927 At this stage the general consensus is that a change of service provider is the only way forward unless this problem can be sorted out sooner rather than later.

I sent them the more unpleasant and to the point version of that email :D:D I also told them I'm not paying for the last months "service" as they are charging me for something they are not providing. If they refuse I'm putting it through comreg to sort out.

I sent them the more unpleasant and to the point version of that email :D:D I also told them I'm not paying for the last months "service" as they are charging me for something they are not providing. If they refuse I'm putting it through comreg to sort out.

Good cop/bad cop eh? Hahaha. Did you hear back from them yet?

Only getting about 2mb now on the 8mb package. But it's up and down all over the place. High pings as well. Funny though how it always go back to perfect around 12 of clock again. It's always between 9pm and 12 for me anyway. YouTube definitely seems throttled as well cause even at 2mb I should be able to watch them but they don't load at all.

Getting 1.99 mbit again tonight. They got back to me today.
    There is no issue on the network itself or the line.

I asked them about the 75GB cap. Their answer....
    There is a lot off heavy internet traffic going on from your internet connection.....

Looking on your usage logs for the past 5 months and it shows that you have been using 40GB and over each month

40 f**kin gigs is heavy usage now???? 6 HD movies per month is "heavy" usage!

Just over 1 movie per week and they are throttling me (as they say their network is fine so they must be doing it deliberately!)

nacimroc...I got much the same reply...line/network fine etc. and that they could see no drop in speed so asked me to do 3 speed tests on speedtest.magnet.ie (morning/afternoon/night) for 7 days. This is to "prove" it I suppose. I told them in the initial email that the speeds are dropping BETWEEN 6PM AND 12AM...obviously he didn't check my speeds during the time I outlined. Jaysus it's frustrating. Also like you I'd be in or around the 40GB per month user though usually it's less. As I've said before, it stinks of throttling. The more I look at Vodafone the more attractive it's becoming.

40GB! I've heard it all now!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I sent them this reply:

Hi.
    Same thing tonight.

3pm:
    Ping: 34ms
    Download: 6891 kbps
    Upload: 430 kbps

10.15pm:
    Ping: 45ms
    Download: 1551kbps
    Upload: 431kbps

With the recent change to the small print regarding unlimited NGB (ie.75GB allowance), it appears to me as if my connection is being throttled during peak hours. Can you confirm or deny this for me please as I feel doing a speedtest for the next 7 days to be a waste of time as the problem has been persistent now for a while.

Advertisement