Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV speed issues - North Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Seemingly we can get a free Vodafone 858 Smart Phone too for signing up with Vodafone!! Have a gander in the Devices section of your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Leeman79

O'Prez wrote: »
    Seemingly we can get a free Vodafone 858 Smart Phone too for signing up with Vodafone!! Have a gander in the Devices section of your account.

If you take it it locks you into a 24 month contract however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate 765 17405
    MaxRate 1190 19220
    NoiseMargin 21.0 7.4
    Attenuation 0.0 18.9
    Power 12.2 16.2

Vodafone 24 mb package.

Downloading at nearly 2megs a second.

Can probably get the line up to 19000 based on the above.

Leave UTV.

Xcellor wrote: »
    Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate 765 17405
    MaxRate 1190 19220
    NoiseMargin 21.0 7.4
    Attenuation 0.0 18.9
    Power 12.2 16.2

Vodafone 24 mb package.

Downloading at nearly 2megs a second.

Can probably get the line up to 19000 based on the above.

Leave UTV.
    Am I right in thinking the changeover took 7 days in total for you Xcellor? Was there a cancellation fee with UTV? My changeover is still in progress.

Am I right in thinking the changeover took 7 days in total for you Xcellor? Was there a cancellation fee with UTV? My changeover is still in progress.

In and around. Remember there was bank holiday. Overall it was enabled relatively quickly.

Don't know about cancellation. When I phoned them they did not mention it. They better not try and charge me for the remainder of this month given that they cut me off dead on Friday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Are you so far pleased with your move to Vodafone? Good speeds?

AntiRip wrote: »
    Are you so far pleased with your move to Vodafone? Good speeds?

My transfer is "still in progress" :(

I got 24 mb service and checked yesterday. Can get around 1.7mb download a second.

My line has the max synch of 17000 the next profile up is 20000 which my line can't support

Mine got switched today. Getting approx 1.4 MB/sec download. My max synch is 12287 so I'm well pleased. I'll check it agin during the dread....*dun dun dun dun duuuun* ........peak hours!!!

Well here's my peak-time speed test with my new Vodafone connection:

1871485954.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Heres the equivalent 12 meg line from UTV :mad:

1871615804.png

On a happier note, I got the email from Vodafone today with username saying my line will be activated in coming days. How long before getting the email and switching over ?

Its a shame they are allowed to illegally throttle people who download 40gb to force us to move to another ISP. Comreg need more power.

nacimroc wrote: »
    Heres the equivalent 12 meg line from UTV :mad:

1871615804.png

On a happier note, I got the email from Vodafone today with username saying my line will be activated in coming days. How long before getting the email and switching over ?

Still p*ss poor then. Those results I posted are for a 12 meg line too (with a 24 meg package). Well I got that email from them on 15th March and got switched over today. So just over 2 weeks then. They took over the phone line about a week before the broadband though and I was "internetless" for a few hours during the change over today. I was cracking up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Funnily enough I'm quite happy with UTV atm. Getting very consistent speeds of late day and night and downloading as much as I want. From my line stats I will have downloaded 90GB this month with no obvious throttling. I'm on 7.6mb non-NGB package.

Very happy to hear O'Prez is happy with Vodafone because in the future if something does happy at least I can move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭zoom_cool

Moving to Vodafone myself just kicked off the process I cannot deal with the throttling no more bye bye UTV :eek:

zoom_cool wrote: »
    Moving to Vodafone myself just kicked off the process I cannot deal with the throttling no more bye bye UTV :eek:

You won't regret it. What sickens my h*le is that I was being throttled for reasons that are beyond me and no explanation was offered.

You won't regret it. What sickens my h*le is that I was being throttled for reasons that are beyond me and no explanation was offered.

Same with me. Because I download 40gb on unlimited cap that gives them to right to throttle us. Comreg got a response from them saying I've moved so they don't care and issue closed. Typical.

Line dropping all day and 1 mbit speed. They are completely pulling the piss out of Comreg and Comreg don't seem to care. Throttling people as they see fit, piss poor service and no response to customer service complaints after months.

Such a piss poor service!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭zoom_cool

On Vodafone today delighted with my 8MB :D

1899805814.png

zoom_cool wrote: »
    On Vodafone today delighted with my 8MB :D

1899805814.png

Good man yerself.
    Mine is consistently in or around this (24mb package/12mb line)
    1899887532.png

Mines perfect now I switched to vodafone. That just confirms UTV were definetely throttling me and wouldn't confirm it. Shower of lying *****

nacimroc wrote: »
    Mines perfect now I switched to vodafone. That just confirms UTV were definetely throttling me and wouldn't confirm it. Shower of lying *****

Throttling all of us by the look of it. Got my final bill from them today for 23 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭swampyk08

I too am having this problem. I am based near Drogheda and for the last few months my download speed drops to 1mbps in the evening from 7/8mbps during the day.
    Blue in the face contacting UTV support and nothing being done about it.
    They have told me that the line looks to be fine as Eircom or UTV cant find a problem with it.

I raised this issue with Com Reg today and contacted UTV stating that if the speed issue isnt resolved by this Friday I am cancelling their service.

Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

It's a pity that I didn't see this before I switched. I changed over to UTV last week and have been having the same speed issues as those mentioned in the thread. Lowest recorded download speed was 0.03mb/s a couple of nights ago which seems to be a new low. I am getting a high of about 4.5mb/s during the day. which is not good enough. I signed up for 10mb. Going to take the matter to Com reg like some of you have.
    Can I ask did anyone have any issues cancelling the contract?

lindtee wrote: »
    It's a pity that I didn't see this before I switched. I changed over to UTV last week and have been having the same speed issues as those mentioned in the thread. Lowest recorded download speed was 0.03mb/s a couple of nights ago which seems to be a new low. I am getting a high of about 4.5mb/s during the day. which is not good enough. I signed up for 10mb. Going to take the matter to Com reg like some of you have.
    Can I ask did anyone have any issues cancelling the contract?

No issue here at all with the cancellation. They even tried to get me to stay but couldn't match Vodafone's service. I wouldn't have stayed anyway. Vodafone took care of everything fair play to em.

No issue here at all with the cancellation. They even tried to get me to stay but couldn't match Vodafone's service. I wouldn't have stayed anyway. Vodafone took care of everything fair play to em.
    Thanks for your quick reply. Just realised that that the sales person lied to me about the download allowance too telling me that it was 300gb. Grrrrrrrrrr. On hold to UTV now (for past 10 mins or so) and getting more angry every minute.

lindtee wrote: »
    Thanks for your quick reply. Just realised that that the sales person lied to me about the download allowance too telling me that it was 300gb. Grrrrrrrrrr. On hold to UTV now (for past 10 mins or so) and getting more angry every minute.

I was often on hold for 30 minutes or more only to talk to some guy whose attitude was far from "customer friendly". Have fun listening to that radio station they play while yer on hold!!

Finally got through to them that day only to be given the same attitude and responses that everyone here seems to have gotten:mad: The guy implied that I was the only one with this issue. I told him I saw that a number of people have had the same issues online and he went oh is it boards.ie and said that they (you lot!!) must never have gotten in contact with us:rolleyes::rolleyes: He said he was doing some stuff which should improve the speed....it didn't. I have sent the email with the speed tests attached and have heard nothing back. Going to cancel my direct debit in a minute. How exactly do I make a complaint to com reg? Bad and all that Eircom are, I never once had an issue with the service all the years that I am with them and always got what I paid for....better the devil you know! Haven't got a great choice of providers where I am so I have a feeling I may move back.

Oh they know us alright. I got to know them all by name I called so much.

This is for Comreg.
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/contact_us.26.LE.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fredd

Great to have found this thread, same problems as everyone else but has come to the stage that we can't connect at times most evenings and just crawls at other times. No troubles during day time. I've sent a rocket off to UTV and await their reply but presume I won't have any better luck than anyone else. I'm tied into a new contract until next April using a direct debit from a credit card. Anyone know the best way to get out of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

taken from their terms of service, if its not resolved by next weekend i shall be taking this action.

Cancelling the Agreement
    3. The Broadband speed that we quote when you order the service is an estimate only. Once
    your Broadband speed has settled (usually 10 days after provision), if you are always
    getting speeds lower than the estimated range that we quoted, you can contact us any time
    within the first 3 months after you ordered the service and we will try to improve the
    speed. If, despite any improvements we try to make, the speed you get is less than the
    "minimum guaranteed access line speed" for your service (go
    to http://www.utvinternet.com for more details) you will be entitled to cancel your
    broadband contract without paying a charge for ending it early subject to you following our
    instructions to resolve the problem.

• Advertisement

^^Thanks for posting that. I was promised that speeds would increase by last Friday..They didn't..Read on another thread about something happening on the 8th August to improve lines (or something:confused:) I think its all bullsh*t to be honest to string us along If things haven't improved by the 9th then I'm cancelling. I really should have stood my ground the times I was on the phone, but wasn't 100% sure of my rights. But with those terms of service I think I am well covered to cancel.

Advertisement