Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV speed issues - North Dublin

Options
  • 27-02-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

(Starting a new thread on this as I saw it mentioned in the UTV cap thread, feel free to merge if appropriate).

Over Christmas my broadband was largely unusable, with the connection dropping every few minutes and crawling along pitifully even when functioning. I swapped routers, bought a new phone cable, nothing worked; though it says something that this was less hassle than actually trying to resolve the issue via customer support.

Fortunately, the issue suddenly appeared to resolve itself and I've been getting more or less what I pay for (3mb Clicksilver) since. However, today the issue is back with a vengeance and my connection is essentially worthless. I'd post up a Speedtest screenshot, but, tragi-comically enough, it won't load for me.

I gather from the cap thread that others have been having the same problem? Is it just North Dublin? Anyone get a response?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

I'm in North Tipp and my case is a replica of yours. I even bought a new router thinking the problem was at my end but that just kept dropping connection too around the Chrimbo. I rang "technical support" who told me my line was fine and that I should move my router to a different phone socket (eventhough it had been working perfectly at that socket all along...sh*t advice). Anyway, same as you again the speeds tonight are crawling along at 1mb and I'm on an 8mb NGB package.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

my speed is also at about 1meg for an 8meg package...kinda glad in a way to know i'm not the only one suffering from this.

i can't get onto speedtest for the last while either, although i could earlier on, and the max speed i've gotten all evening is 1.25mb which is an absolute joke!

think i'll ring them tomorrow if it doesn't get sorted.

EDIT: finally got onto speedtest just there, and this is the result...pathetic!

1800808994.png

Here's mine:

1800817868.png

have a friend on eircom who is also only getting speeds of about 0.5mb...so may be a bigger problem!

and a new low!

1800838292.png

OMG THE INTERNET IS BROKEN!! :eek:

• Advertisement

and a new low!

1800838292.png

OMG THE INTERNET IS BROKEN!! :eek:

Jaysus! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Leeman79

The problems not just in Dublin
    Im in Galway and my 24 mb line is barely breking 1MB most of the time now
    UTV need to sort this or they are going to lose a lot of business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Leeman79 wrote: »
    The problems not just in Dublin
    Im in Galway and my 24 mb line is barely breking 1MB most of the time now
    UTV need to sort this or they are going to lose a lot of business

Missus complaining of really slow internet. Also with UTV. Away from home so can't check for sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

This problem must be an internal issue in UTV s network keep ringing them till they fix it tell them if they don't fix it your going to cancel tbh those speeds are patethic for DSL.

its been much better since shortly after midnight last night...still seems to be contention issues at busy times, but must've been a temporary fault yesterday evening that had it so slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublin Dilettante

Is it fine for everyone else now? As posted above, my connection was more or less back to normal this (Wednesday) morning, but creeping along again by this evening. As of now, it's somewhat better, but far from optimal:

1805459680.png

UTV saying no problem their end, possible problem on exchange etc as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Wired or Wireless?
    What package are you on?
    What are the stats from your modem [SNR, Sync Speed etc]?

mine not great again this evening...its usable but not as fast as it should be.

1807160815.png

RangeR wrote: »
    Wired or Wireless?
    What package are you on?
    What are the stats from your modem [SNR, Sync Speed etc]?
    mine not great again this evening...its usable but not as fast as it should be.

1807160815.png

Wireless but very close proximity to router, and am on UTV 8MB NGB. Here are the stats from the modem...i'm not quite sure what they mean!

Downstream Upstream
    Data rate (Kbps)
    8160 512
    Noise margin (dB)
    12.2 25.0
    Output power (dBm)
    19.8 12.2
    Attenuation (dB)
    21.0 10.5

Wireless but very close proximity

Doesn't matter. Can you do a speed test, wired, please? It can make a HUGE difference.

Im on a 24MB NGB PC is wired directly yo router

1807515314.png

Bloody frustrating

Mine seemed to be back to normal yesterday too but is now gone downhill again.

O'Prez wrote: »
    Mine seemed to be back to normal yesterday too but is now gone downhill again.

Yeah same here but I guess it was just a ray of flase hope

pretty good at the moment, but who wants to wait til 12.30 at night for a good speed, especially when it is supposedly NGB!

1807652914.png

• Advertisement

NGB me arse. It does seem like there's some serious congestion during "waking hours". Here's mine now that everyone else around my street is probably gone to the land of nod.
    1807728856.png

Might I make a suggestion that along with posting speed tests also post router line stats.

As another poster said the test should be performed over wire for the most accurate result.

Also with UTV and quite bad connection speed... Can anyone affected please complain and log a ticket. especially if you are on NGB, I mean surely they can't advertised uncontended speeds when its not a reality.

complaint made from me this morning. was asked to email the records i'd been keeping of speed to them. will be interesting to see what happens, if anything.

Speedtests over wireless are useless. Proximity is not the only factor. Just because you are getting great speeds at night and ****e speeds during the day could be down to the fact that there are other WIFI AP's on during the day rather than at night.

My WIFI turns to ****e at predictable times nearly every day. As soon as people come home from work, they turn on their WIFI. Bang. my "internet" turns to crap. Not everyone leaves their WIFI AP's on 24x7 so wifi issues are hard to diagnose properly without taking a lot of variables into account. Apart from proximity, there is other wifi interference, structural interference, channel interference, microwave, to name but a few.

You really need to test wired.

=== You can stop reading here if you don't want a liccle anicdote. ===

A fried of mine ran riot to UPC a few months ago. He was CONVINCED that ht was only getting 20%, consistently, of his bandwidth. He even had UPC engineers out 2 or 3 times to his house. Each time, no fault was found. After a month or two, he told me of the problem.

I asked him "Wired or Wireless?"

He said "Wired. I brought my home plug into the kitchen, bedroom, living room." The speed is always ****e.

I slapped him. He wasted months and 3 engies time over his own assumption that Homeplugs where a wired solution.

He tested without the Homeplugs and saw he was getting 98% full speed consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alex souza

my one same

thanks for your reply RangeR; i only got to try with a direct connection now.

i had replied thinking with a direct wired connection the results were better, but further testing a few minutes later has resulted in this:

WIRED:
    1809118605.png

WIRELESS:
    1809128281.png

bare in mind there was a few minutes between each test so this is probably why the speed was actually higher over wireless. so it doesn't seem to be related to a poor wireless signal from what i can see. I'll try it again if it gets really slow this evening, and see what happens.

have still heard nothing back from ISP, so might just stop stressing myself over it for now, and see what they come up with in time!

Still happening here. It seems to drop in speed after 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

Same here still bad
    This is suppose to be 8mb NGB :-(
    1817704257.png

From tests I've been running it seems that they're throttling speeds between 6pm-12am.

• Advertisement

O'Prez wrote: »
    From tests I've been running it seems that they're throttling speeds between 6pm-12am.

Doubt it's throttling. More likely peak traffic. All the kids, all the parents, all students logging on to check facebook. Hate facebook.

NGB is only uncongested/uncontended to the exchange... whatever lies behind that would appear to be the problem.

Keep up the pressure. I will be moving from UTV this month if its sh1t when I get home from travle.s

Advertisement