Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

afaik all micro usb chargers are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

nedd wrote: »
    afaik all micro usb chargers are the same.

Similar but not the same. Ideally they should be identical but the harmonics caused by different switching transformers can cause issues with a phone. Usually just touchscreen responsiveness issues but sometimes charging issues.

Whether it causes issues or not is more down to bad phone design (not coping with different inputs) than charger design.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

TBi wrote: »
    Similar but not the same. Ideally they should be identical but the harmonics caused by different switching transformers can cause issues with a phone. Usually just touchscreen responsiveness issues but sometimes charging issues.

Whether it causes issues or not is more down to bad phone design (not coping with different inputs) than charger design.

Read somewhere a week or so ago thats it is important to use a Li-Pol micro usb charger as opposed to a Li-Ion one.

Anybody else hear about this? Don't have link to article but said using a li-ion charger would degrade the battery in the One X. Haven't looked at ordering second / car charger until I get this confirmed.

flugel wrote: »
    Read somewhere a week or so ago thats it is important to use a Li-Pol micro usb charger as opposed to a Li-Ion one.

Anybody else hear about this? Don't have link to article but said using a li-ion charger would degrade the battery in the One X. Haven't looked at ordering second / car charger until I get this confirmed.

Well whoever said that is talking total bollix! The charger outputs a voltage and a current. That's all. They can't change the specification, if they do then it's not a micro USB charger.

The only difference is some chargers just meet the specification and some are better. This is usually the ripple on the voltage (it's never constant 12V, it quickly varies up and down by around 0.5V), some chargers have less ripple. Other differences are current output, some chargers detect their 'phone' and output more current than spec to charge faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Just ordered one x as per PAYG method from emobile to get the cheapest phone. Will be keeping my meteor number also. Got sick of waiting for someone to stock a white model locally. Have my identification docs sent off so now begins the waiting game as Ive had no confirmation email from emobile. fingers crossed i have it by the weekend so i can spend that fiddling with it rather than a very unproductive day in work next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

The reason why I ask is sometimes when my battery would run low and I would use a work mates Samsung charger. I'll make a habit of bringing my HTC charger with me, or purchase a USB to micro USB cable and charge my phone via the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Gonzo wrote: »
    just did an update on my HTC one S with Meteor to:

Android Version: 4.0.3

HTC Sense Version: 4.0

Software Number: 1.78.401.2

The battery is lasting way longer now.
    So far battery is at 72% on 20h2m47s. The screen is using far less power than it was previous to this update.

Same here, battery performace is excellent fo me now, bear in mind the handset is only 4 days old so Im seeing a bump in battery performance from both 4 days charge / discharge and the update combined.

Battery is a non issue now.

The reason why I ask is sometimes when my battery would run low and I would use a work mates Samsung charger. I'll make a habit of bringing my HTC charger with me, or purchase a USB to micro USB cable and charge my phone via the PC.

Samsung charger will work fine, i wouldn't worry about it. Although cheap USB-uUSB cable will stop you bugging your co-worker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does anyone know if the HTC ONE V comes with a microSD card as standard and what's it's capacity?

The lads in the Blackrock branch of O2 opened one of their new stock and there was no microSD card, I'm wondering if this also applies to one bought SIMM-free from the UK e.g. from Amazon or Expansys?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Well whoever said that is talking total bollix! The charger outputs a voltage and a current. That's all. They can't change the specification, if they do then it's not a micro USB charger.

+1 we're talking about a DC charger, not a defibrillator!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i notice how teh new 1.29 radio rapes your battery due to the wifi :( not good at all. im down to 34% in 10 hours and only 35mins onscreen time and 30min call! i checked proper usage using a android app called beterbatterystats and it looks liek teh wifi is caining the battery! wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Couple of one x q's?
    I can't seem to get whatsapp to verify. The sms never arrives, then I try call and it says I've recently accessed whatsapp and have to wait! Wtf

Second sky go isn't available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Why is the Radio (I'm presuming FM Radio) using wifi?

Why is the Radio (I'm presuming FM Radio) using wifi?

OTA update 1.29 is for the following fixes;

New HBOOT 0.94;
    - New RADIO 1.26.401.2;
    - Fixed HTC Sense Calendar widget crashing;
    - Fixed HTC Calendar double dates bug;
    - Fixed HTC Sense crashing;
    - Fixed Screen glitches;
    - Improved Tegra 3 gaming;
    - Improved HTC Gallery playback;
    - Improved ICS detection, dots removed in YouTube app;
    - Improved Beats audio, no more skipping;
    - Improved non-Sense widget scrolling
    - Improved HTC Teeter gaming;
    - Improved overall speed.

the Radio controls wifi, bluetooth and GSM connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

OTA update 1.29 is for the following fixes;

New HBOOT 0.94;
    - New RADIO 1.26.401.2;
    - Fixed HTC Sense Calendar widget crashing;
    - Fixed HTC Calendar double dates bug;
    - Fixed HTC Sense crashing;
    - Fixed Screen glitches;
    - Improved Tegra 3 gaming;
    - Improved HTC Gallery playback;
    - Improved ICS detection, dots removed in YouTube app;
    - Improved Beats audio, no more skipping;
    - Improved non-Sense widget scrolling
    - Improved HTC Teeter gaming;
    - Improved overall speed.

the Radio controls wifi, bluetooth and GSM connections.

Ohhh, we're talking about that sort of Radio.

I did notice last night that my battery drained 20% without any use, which was unusual, usually it'd go for hours on standby without moving at all.

yea exactly mate

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

flugel wrote: »

The only difference is some chargers just meet the specification and some are better. This is usually the ripple on the voltage (it's never constant 12V, it quickly varies up and down by around 0.5V), some chargers have less ripple. Other differences are current output, some chargers detect their 'phone' and output more current than spec to charge faster.

Good to know, gotta order myself a USB and car charger post haste!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

For the OneX or S?
    For X partyatmygaff recommended this and many of us happy!

Was going with the above case, but then spotted this seller;

http://stores.ebay.ie/Essential-Add-Ons/HTC-One-X-/_i.html?_fsub=3097266017&_sid=817646627&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The case appears to be almost identical to PAMG's link & works out slightly cheaper @ €3.95 delivered.

There are also a nice range of colours too!

Seems to be an Irish seller based in Sallynoggin!

I've ordered just now & will update when I receive it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

keredern wrote: »
    Was going with the above case, but then spotted this seller;

http://stores.ebay.ie/Essential-Add-Ons/HTC-One-X-/_i.html?_fsub=3097266017&_sid=817646627&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The case appears to be almost identical to PAMG's link & works out slightly cheaper @ €3.95 delivered.

There are also a nice range of colours too!

Seems to be an Irish seller based in Sallynoggin!

I've ordered just now & will update when I receive it!!:)

Have been looking at the cases on ebay, its nice to get it in 1 working day from an irish seller but its a good bit cheaper here from the uk and also comes with a free screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

manu2009 wrote: »
    Have been looking at the cases on ebay, its nice to get it in 1 working day from an irish seller but its a good bit cheaper here from the uk and also comes with a free screen protector.

Ah crap!!!! :o Didn't see that one! :(

• Advertisement

hit for a €300 deposit for emobile new account, 6 months before payback. Could've bought it for less sim free than i have forked out this week (albeit cheaper in the long run) If anyone else is going down that route, be prepared.

hit for a €300 deposit for emobile new account, 6 months before payback. Could've bought it for less sim free than i have forked out this week (albeit cheaper in the long run) If anyone else is going down that route, be prepared.

Shouldn't have worn that hoody in the shop... :P what did you get a S or X?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Thinking of upgrading my DHD to the OneX but probably buy it rather than doing it through my VF account. I'm in the States (NY) in 2 weeks so have a chance to pick up something there if it's going to be worthwhile.

Anyone know of any good options while I'm out there. Do they sell the OneX or a variant in the US? I haven't researched this yet but if anyone has any info on this it'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Same here on 3 although it was €150 for the deposit and €39 up front for the phone.

Ah well I needed a new blower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

cargo wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading my DHD to the OneX but probably buy it rather than doing it through my VF account. I'm in the States (NY) in 2 weeks so have a chance to pick up something there if it's going to be worthwhile.

Anyone know of any good options while I'm out there. Do they sell the OneX or a variant in the US? I haven't researched this yet but if anyone has any info on this it'd be great.

I hear you can get the Razr Maxx for 600 bucks, but i'm biased, that's my phone of choice :p

Shouldn't have worn that hoody in the shop... :P what did you get a S or X?

I wish it was down to something like that but bought online. first time ive ever needed a deposit for a bill pay account, was taken aback a little tbh. If i was in store, it probably wouldve been waved but no one is stocking the white locally. Fingers crossed they dont go bust before November
    Got the X, probably be monday before i receive it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Mad how their system works.

I'm just a young student and wasn't asked for anything other than ID and proof of address. No deposits or anything.

They mustn't have liked the look of you or something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

This is usuall practice if your credit rating is below a certain pre determend level.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

hightower1 wrote: »
    This is usuall practice if your credit rating is below a certain pre determend level.

Phone companies cant see your credit rating.
    They just make a guess on the information you give them

• Advertisement

ah sure ye students are young and care free, the biggest financial worries ye have is where the money for next week's sessions is coming from :P

Advertisement