Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices on the UP AGAIN

Options

Comments

RXMPS wrote: »
    Personally I think no business registered for vat should be paying tax on fuel.........

Self employed accountants, vets, doctors, physiotherapists, engineers, hairdressers etc etc etc are often businesses registered for VAT, why shouldn't they pay tax on fuel?

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

RoverJames wrote: »
    His idea was blocking the N7, M50, M7 and some other motorway on a Saturday.
    What other good ideas did he have?

It's a not a bad idea.

If every haulage company block the motorways and cities the government would have to listen.

I don't see any ideas from you:rolleyes:

Your very quick to knock someone down though, your good at that.Enjoy it.

Self employed accountants, vets, doctors, physiotherapists, engineers, hairdressers etc etc etc are often businesses registered for VAT, why shouldn't they pay tax on fuel?

If they provide work opportunities.

Why not?

Accountant can hire a secretary, assistant, vet can hire assistant, secretary, shop staff etc, same applies to doctor's physio's, hairdressers, etc etc.

If they bring employment let them have this perk.

Country needs this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

It's a not a bad idea.

If every haulage company block the motorways and cities the government would have to listen.

I don't see any ideas from you:rolleyes:

It does'nt matter if the government listen or not they are'nt running the country anymore. You think the troika give a toss about a few trucks parked on the M50?

I don't see any ideas from you:rolleyes:...............

I see the cost of fuel as an increasing variable :)

People need to get real, in 1999 unleaded varied from IR£0.62/litre to IR£0.66/litre, so in 13 years it's doubled in price.

Compare salaries, minimum wage etc now to back then.

• Advertisement

If they provide work opportunities.

Why not?

Accountant can hire a secretary, assistant, vet can hire assistant, secretary, shop staff etc, same applies to doctor's physio's, hairdressers, etc etc.

If they bring employment let them have this perk.

Country needs this.

So businesses registered for VAT who employ people pay no tax on fuel but one man show businesses do?

I'm entitled to ask questions here ,same as everybody else.

Yours was a solicitor question.

Was not very nice.

Trying to make Sobanek admit that he is young, student, with no job as of yet and on first car.

So businesses registered for VAT who employ people pay no tax on fuel but one man show businesses don't?

Yes that is correct.

If you don't provide employment you don't get tax free fuel.

It could be a minimum of 3 staff or something.

It would help every industry especially farming and retail ( costs would go down )

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johnbobtheslob

petrol/diesel is an inelastic good so no matter what price it gets to people will still purchase it.

Yes that is correct.

Fairly daft policy really, a vet in the city who does little miles but who employs a receptionist as most of his customers call in with their pets gets tax free fuel but a rural vet who covers a large area serving farmers etc covering big miles who works predominantly from a mobile phone has to pay 23% more for his fuel unless he runs a commercial vehicle.

Looooooooooooooooney
    If you don't provide employment you don't get tax free fuel.

It could be a minimum of 3 staff or something.

It would help every industry especially farming and retail ( costs would go down )

Just saw your edit, how does it help every industry? You do know that Ltd companies alreadyeffectively pay no VAT on diesel as they claim it back ? You might actually answer that too btw.

• Advertisement

I see the cost of fuel as an increasing variable :)

People need to get real, in 1999 unleaded varied from IR£0.62/litre to IR£0.66/litre, so in 13 years it's doubled in price.

Compare salaries, minimum wage etc now to back then.

I agree.

Alot of people earned more in 1999 though, I know my father did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Yours was a solicitor question.

Was not very nice.

Trying to make Sobanek admit that he is young, student, with no job as of yet and on first car.

Has relevance, and you saying this to RJ wasn't particularly nice either ,so please stop looking for an argument.

Fairly daft policy really, a vet in the city who does little miles but who employs a receptionist as most of his customers call in with their pets gets tax free fuel but a rural vet who covers a large area serving farmers etc covering big miles who works predominantly from a mobile phone has to pay 23% more for his fuel unless he runs a commercial vehicle.

Looooooooooooooooney

What's stopping the rural vet hiring staff?

Or working for another vet or forming a partnership?

Adaption.

Has relevance, and you saying this to RJ wasn't particularly nice either ,so please stop looking for an argument.

Why RJ is big boy and he is not very nice to alot of posters.

I don't see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I saw petrol at 165.9 in one Topaz pump today.
    That's the highest I've seen so far!

Whatever happened to the 130c petrol of just a year ago!!

What's stopping the rural vet hiring staff?

Or working for another vet or forming a partnership?

Adaption.

He might not need any if his customers ring him, folks typically don't bring sheep and bulls etc into vets sugerys for their booster :)

If a partnership exists they would both be directors in a Ltd Company, not really employees.

If he works for another vet he'd be an employee and his boss would get the VAT free fuel if he employed over 3 people in your proposal, which he'd be getting anyway if it was a commercial and he had a Ltd company :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Why RJ is big boy and he is not very nice to alot of posters.

You're trolling again.Take 2 weeks off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just to put this in perspective

A barrel of Brent Oil was in or around $11 dollars in 1999.
    Today its about 129 dollars. Thats an increase of about 1073%. (Gammy figures the first time round :P)

At current production levels, estimates of future oil discoveries and the use of unconventional methods to extract oil, the current estimate of how long we can produce oil is 46.2 years. This is the latest figure from the UKERC report of 2011.

However, we are likely to hit "peak oil" (that is the point of where oil production peaks, and from then on terminally declines due to dwindling reserves) by 2020. From then on oil prices are going to skyrocket, and 2 euro a litre will seem very very cheap.

Current demand for petroleum products is very high, it is estimated that we need to increase production by 3m barrels a day annually to sustain the current demand for petroleum products. To put that in perspective; a new Saudi Arabia has to come on stream every three years to sustain future demands.

The writing is on the wall and no amount of reduction of VAT/Excise on a litre is going to realistically slow down the inevitable increase in the price of fuel :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spmxr

He might not need any if his customers ring him, folks typically don't bring sheep and bulls etc into vets sugerys for their booster :)

If a partnership exists they would both be directors in a Ltd Company, not really employees.

If he works for another vet he'd be an employee and his boss would get the VAT free fuel if he employed over 3 people in your proposal, which he'd be getting anyway if it was a commercial and he had a Ltd company :)

Bit of difference between vat free and tax free.

That's the vet's loss.

Rogue vets would be a thing of the past then if they don't want to pay extra fuel, it would be clinics with vets as staff, some on the road and some on site.

John the local vet will have to adapt and join the corporated world, it would probably see a rise in working standards.As from my own experience alot of small local vet's could use a new insight.

You're trolling again.Take 2 weeks off

No I wasn't.

I at least put a suggestion into this thread, stop showing your muscle and let me be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I saw petrol at 165.9 in one Topaz pump today.
    That's the highest I've seen so far!

Whatever happened to the 130c petrol of just a year ago!!

166.9 in one station here in Limerick!

DarkJager wrote: »
    166.9 in one station here in Limerick!

It's only 158.9 in Foynes.

How come cities are always more expensive, with the volume they sell and buying power they have it should be the other way around.

spmxr wrote: »
    Bit of difference between vat free and tax free.

That's the vet's loss.

Rogue vets would be a thing of the past then if they don't want to pay extra fuel, it would be clinics with vets as staff, some on the road and some on site.

John the local vet will have to adapt and join the corporated world, it would probably see a rise in working standards.As from my own experience alot of small local vet's could use a new insight.

A self employed Vet who employs no one else is now a rogue vet? Are you for real? And you actually want business to pay no tax at all on fuel? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

BX 19 wrote: »

A barrel of Brent Oil was in or around $11 dollars in 1999.
    Today its about 129 dollars. Thats an increase of about 470%.

In my eyes it's increase of 1073%.
    But maybe I'm wrong, as I failed Maths on 2nd semester of Physics studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CiniO wrote: »
    In my eyes it's increase of 1073%.
    But maybe I'm wrong, as I failed Maths on 2nd semester of Physics studies.

Ahh jebus your right. I mixed up my figures. Post edited, thanks.

I need caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

No I wasn't.

I at least put a suggestion into this thread, stop showing your muscle and let me be.

LOL smart fella :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No I wasn't.

It's only 158.9 in Foynes.

How come cities are always more expensive, with the volume they sell and buying power they have it should be the other way around.

Buh bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Passed a station selling at 166.9 on my way to kilkenny tonight. Highest i ve seen it in Carlow/Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

A self employed Vet who employs no one else is now a rogue vet? Are you for real? And you actually want business to pay no tax at all on fuel? :pac:

at least business people/self employed people dont pay VAT (if registered) and can write the cost of fuel off (including carbon taxes) against profits for tax purposes. They also pay low VRT/Motor Tax and can claim what they do pay against tax. Im not complaining about that as the vehicle is used for the purposes of business but the idea that they should pay no motor related taxes at all seems an overkill to me. Us mere mortals have no means of escape. You could argue that reducing fuel duty across the board would stumulate the economy to a much greater extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

It is relentlessly rising. How is it rising so bloody quickly?

Advertisement