Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices on the UP AGAIN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Perhaps its time fuel prices came under the remit of the energy regulator , not that that over staffed inefficient ineffictive office has done much for the consumer in recent years , But a revised model with distinct accountability to the public might have some benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Remember people: When fuel goes up, all the other stuff will go up eventually - delivery costs will become higher...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Within the next 5 years when we start bringing our own oil ashore it will be sickening to be paying full market price for our own oil with a miserable 12.5% taxation on the oil companies profits

12.5% taxation after all their capital costs incurred over the last 25 years are paid. Oh and if they fail to move profits to their other companies to avoid the Irish taxman.
    I doubt we'll see 1%, let alone 12.5.

If you still think you're not being screwed with:

"quoting wikipedia":
    Exxon Mobil Corporation
    Revenue increase US$ 486.429 billion (2011)[2]
    Operating income increase US$ 73.257 billion (2011)[2]
    Net income increase US$ 41.060 billion (2011)[2]
    Total assets increase US$ 349.000 billion (2011)[2]
    Total equity increase US$ 154.396 billion (2011)[2]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I would say with the constant trouble supplier nations seem to be in e.g. Iran, high prices are here to stay for the foreseeable future... maybe even forever? At least right now it is hard to imagine the price of fuel going down.

I used to have a petrol car and diesel car. One for me and one for the wife. We got rid of both those vehicles and got a electric car for the family and my wifes daily commute. Then for me I've got a Piaggio MP3 and a Ducati Monster for my everyday commuting needs. I'm not immune to petrol prices, the Ducati costs about 35 euro a week for 250km of commuting and the Piaggio MP3 about 16 euro. But I have reduced my exposure considerably.

Buying an EV is expensive I'll admit, but I'd love to see more people consider a motorcycle or scooter for their commuting needs. Something like this can can driven on a car license and has decent power and acceleration.. probably better than most cars on the road in this country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZqh3mKHvZk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Leaving aside any outside influences like tax, price of oil etc, a petrol station is a private business. If they want to put the price up to €5 a litre they can.

Yes but you'd like to think that Cartels aren't operating and that competition might keep the prices down in this scenario. Cartels wouldn't be operating in this country, would they:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I saw diesel in one station at 1.58 a litre today, the cheapest fill was 1.53

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Despite the fuel price soaring, even simple things like car-pooling isn't being done. Just about every car I see has 1 person in it. I have a 20 mile each way spin to work and fortunately I can car pool with another fella. Drive every second day. Automatic 50% reduction in fuel costs for traveling to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

dar83 wrote: »
    I'd rather pay €2/l than drive anything resembling either of those options.

Or walk.... :P

LPG driver dropping in, mentioning current prices of 69c to "dear" 89c options, commuting home in a V8 later. :cool:

I saw a Dodge Ram V8 with a 260litre LPG in it, filled to the brim. Cost could be as low as EUR143 (given 80% max allowed fill and 69c fuel) to drive a 20 L/100km (14mpg) Vehicle over 1000km, in an awesomely inefficient V8.. imagine what a more normal 28mpg V8 gets! :)

Matt Simis wrote: »
    LPG driver dropping in, mentioning current prices of 69c to "dear" 89c options, commuting home in a V8 later. :cool:

I saw a Dodge Ram V8 with a 260litre LPG in it, filled to the brim. Cost could be as low as EUR143 (given 80% max allowed fill and 69c fuel) to drive a 20 L/100km (14mpg) Vehicle over 1000km, in an awesomely inefficient V8.. imagine what a more normal 28mpg V8 gets! :)

If only insurance and money would let me do it, I'd drive an E39 540i right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Pity the kits are so expensive! :(

Yep, another píssed off motorist here. Its gone up 4 cents in a week. FML :mad::mad::mad:

I just came back home and in Newbridge, it just fell down. Petrol from 1.59 to 1.58 and Diesel to 1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Our wonderful climate has a lot to do with it
    Not much to be honest. There is not such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing, believe me ;). We have no heavy winters or icy roads during winter months, which helps a lot.
    plus the fact that it is downright dangerous to drive on a lot of rural roads around this country in the dark...
    A good set of lights sorts this problem quite well.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Arriving late to work
    Should you not leave earlier if it takes you longer to get to the place :confused:.
    sweating, perhaps?:rolleyes:
    That is good for you actually :p.

I have a hope that LPG will get some popularity in this part of the globe finally ;).
    It is cleaner to burn, cheaper and makes more sens for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

vicwatson wrote: »
    What? 0.899 2-3 years ago??? I doubt it it was that short a time ago?

Just checked my records (keeping tab on all car related expenses), and on the 25th of March 2009 I paid 0.889 for a Litre of Diesel at Tesco. That's the lowest it has been since I got my current car in November 2008.

DubDani wrote: »
    Just checked my records (keeping tab on all car related expenses), and on the 25th of March 2009 I paid 0.889 for a Litre of Diesel at Tesco. That's the (for me) the lowest it has been since I got my current car.
    Similar here, paid 0.889 on 5th March 2009, but on 25th March 2009 it was 0.909 in my station ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Old news I suppose but anyway : http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/despite-petrol-prices-rising-there-will-be-no-tax-cuts-says-leo-varadkar-0021331-1

:(

If When it does reach €2 your going to see the like of Driving lessons going up, take aways raising there delivery prices and probably courier services too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Interesting interview on the Pat Kenny show this morning about the fall in traffic using the train and switching to the car. One would think the price rise is being pushed by our government to push us onto their trains.

Dunno. Force the public onto the roads, where they'll be forced to pay through the nose in tax.

How else do the wealthy stay wealthy in a crisis like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

piston wrote: »
    The trouble with public transport is that it's fine if you want to travel from one large town to another - Dublin city centre to Galway city centre or similar. The small towns and villages are really poorly served in most cases.

The problem is our love of one off housing has made public transport in rural areas uneconomic. You need largish amounts of people living relativity close together for public transport viable
    Darsad wrote: »
    Perhaps its time fuel prices came under the remit of the energy regulator , not that that over staffed inefficient ineffective office has done much for the consumer in recent years , But a revised model with distinct accountability to the public might have some benefit.

This is the energy regulator who increased our electricity prices from the lowest in the EU to amongst the highest to allow competition into the market. Personally I was happy with a cheap monopoly.
    Seweryn wrote: »
    I have a hope that LPG will get some popularity in this part of the globe finally ;).
    It is cleaner to burn, cheaper and makes more sens for the environment.

Only if it's not taxed highly. Guess how it's taxed here?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Only if it's not taxed highly. Guess how it's taxed here?
    I guess LPG is taxed higher here than anywhere in Europe, but at the moment it is an attractive alternative. I also guess than (unlike in other European countries), if we start using LPG more, it will get taxed badly. Same thing happened to biofuels. But I wish I am wrong and our government will not hammer more tax on LPG ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Our wonderful climate has a lot to do with it, plus the fact that it is downright dangerous to drive on a lot of rural roads around this country in the dark...

Do you melt in the rain?

People who want to ride in the dark have been fitting lights to their bikes since the days of the penny farthing. Lights are are wonderful invention which allow me to see where I'm going and allow others to see me.

Besides, in my experience, the people who say it's too dangerous to cycle on the roads are very often the type of drivers that make it dangerous to cycle on the road in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Arriving late to work, sweating, perhaps?:rolleyes:

Leave earlier and exercise and working up a sweat is good for you.

If you don't want to exercise, fine. I'll bring you a bunch of flowers when you're in coronary care.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sobanek wrote: »
    If only insurance and money would let me do it, I'd drive an E39 540i right now.

There is no insurance loading on LPG... why would you assume there would be? And yes, I did declare it, as long as it a registered and professional install, its fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

LOL

422170_329114773808201_244753448911001_938525_1404414082_n.jpg

There is no insurance loading on LPG... why would you assume there would be? And yes, I did declare it, as long as it a registered and professional install, its fine!

I think the chap is 2nd level student, I don't think he was alluding to any insurance loading being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Interesting interview on the Pat Kenny show this morning about the fall in traffic using the train and switching to the car. One would think the price rise is being pushed by our government to push us onto their trains.

A laughable idea quite frankly, I do a near 100 mile comute 4 days a week to college, at the start of the year I got the train. Not only is it a ridiculously expensive service, it's poorly run and a miserable existence for anyone who has to go through it on a daily basis IMHO.

So after a couple of months I started to drive, I was paying to keep the car on the road anyway! My 1.0L polo does the job for a bit less and I don't have to put headphones in to drown out the noise of other passengers and a million announcements about where the dining cart is situated, I can stop into any shop I like and get a cup of tea/coffee which isn't so expensive that I feel like slapping the ass who sold it to me and when I am finished college there is no waiting around in the rain for the train to come.

The only thing more soul crushing than a comute, is a comute on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    The only thing more soul crushing than a comute, is a comute on public transport.

Absolutely, I will never ever.... ever! go back to using public transport, its absolutely soul destroying.

There is no price that petrol could reach that would make me switch back.... because after all, the price of public transport only ever rises also.

That's it. It's time to do something!
    We need to show our presence and frustration.

<snip>

That's it. It's time to do something!
    We need to show our presence and frustration.

we want to block the N7, M50, M7 and the M1 :rolleyes:

That Michael dude who's "organising" it will be there alone I'd say :pac:

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    we want to block the N7, M50, M7 and the M1 :rolleyes:

That Michael dude who's "organising" it will be there alone I'd say :pac:

It worked in Poland. Why wouldn't it work here?
    Oh, true. People don't mind paying €3 for fuel.

Advertisement