Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices on the UP AGAIN

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Try 1.69 on the old airport road near santry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

dgt wrote: »
    Only 1.619 in South East, so we can still enjoy cheap motoring ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

dgt wrote: »

That petrol station doesn't count, it's always at least 8c higher then all the others.

The old Airport road stations have always been way more expensive to catch unsuspecting tourists, just disregard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

The way I see it, this is like your age, it will only go one way...^^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Confab wrote: »
    That petrol station doesn't count, it's always at least 8c higher then all the others.

It's 1.63.9 in the Topaz in Swords!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Hate to remind all, we are staring at 2:€ a Litre by next winter. It's shocking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bearcat wrote: »
    Hate to remind all, we are staring at 2:€ a Litre by next winter. It's shocking.

err didn't people say that last year? "we'll all be paying 2 euro a litre by the end of 2011"

I'd say we'll get close, but it won't hit 2euro a litre by October 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We're just going to have to get more careful, the oil price is going one way, the gov isn't going to reduce tax, and petrol stations can't drop margins.....so it's going to be bike, scooter, car pool, LPG, bus, train....what ever gets u through..... Spoken by someone who grumbles as he puts 120 euro into the tank, and stupidly lives in village 30 mins from city and 50 mins from my mams...... If I knew 6 years ago what I know now......

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Confab wrote: »

People still buying it regardless!

On the flipside maxol on the Navan road is 1.60 for petrol. Sharps hill filling station is 1.58 for petrol (I'll keep my opinions about their fuel to myself though! ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

Seweryn wrote: »
    I guess LPG is taxed higher here than anywhere in Europe, but at the moment it is an attractive alternative. I also guess than (unlike in other European countries), if we start using LPG more, it will get taxed badly. Same thing happened to biofuels. But I wish I am wrong and our government will not hammer more tax on LPG ;).

In the 70's, Ireland was probably the largest user of LPG in vehicles. Over the past years it has been taxed to the hilt and has gradually disappeared from the forecourts. I believe that there are now no Flogas Autogas stations and only a few Calor. Most of their customers are either forklift owners or UK tourists. Maybe with the current pricing of UNL it'll start getting more popularity (but, as suspected, LPG tax will start to increase). It is encouraging to see that at least one more company has started providing LPG conversions here in Ireland. Mountainview Motors in Brittas were the only installers for many years (not sure if they still do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Makes me sick that on this day 3 years ago the average price was 102.9c compared to 164.9c :(

When converted to Euro its 1.05 here in outback Oz.
    Hasnt been going up and up and up like back home. Price has been fairly consistent the past 3/4 months really.

What about delivery trucks? Everything is transported. Must be pushing shop prices up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

When converted to Euro its 1.05 here in outback Oz.
    Hasnt been going up and up and up like back home. Price has been fairly consistent the past 3/4 months really.

What about delivery trucks? Everything is transported. Must be pushing shop prices up?

Yes.

Which is, incidentally, pushing up the amount taken in VAT. High fuel prices is good for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At least commercial users get to claim the vat back.... Should hgv be able to claim carbon levy back too...... Would help stop fuel laundering.... Keep road transport costs down..... And they use so much fuel that they drive most fuel efficent vehicles they can anyway.....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

At what price will it start to affect people's driving habits and result in things like

1. car pooling
    2. public transport for people who normally drove
    3. avoiding journeys
    4. move to electric/hybrid cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

TheZ wrote: »
    At what price will it start to affect people's driving habits and result in things like

1. car pooling
    3. avoiding journeys

Number 3 has already happened

Im about 20-30 cent per litre away from option 1 or 2 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

ave is €1.61.9 in Carlow, only one garage i know of where its sub €1.60, when i topped up on Saturday , they were €1.58.6.

Worst i saw was €1.64.9

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

1. car pooling
    3. avoiding journeys

1. Can't carpool, nobody who I work with lives near me :(
    2. Would have to get 2 buses to work, and another 2 home. Which would be both costly and take bloody ages, so that's out.
    3. Happening as much as I can
    4. Ew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

1. car pooling
    3. avoiding journeys
    5. Cycling.

Point 3 is natural.
    Point 4 makes little sens even with fuel prices 2-3 times higher than now. The price of vehicle and its depreciation outweights any savings on fuel comparing to driving a cheap, indepreciable car with ICE.
    Point 1 is hard to imagine for me in this country. Peoplea are just too attached to their own cars, but I like the idea of it and it makes a lot of sense.
    Point 5 is the easiest and simplest solution for comuting.
    Point 2 is for people that do not wish to cycle and have good access to public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

bumpydog wrote: »
    In the 70's, Ireland was probably the largest user of LPG in vehicles. Over the past years it has been taxed to the hilt and has gradually disappeared from the forecourts. I believe that there are now no Flogas Autogas stations and only a few Calor. Most of their customers are either forklift owners or UK tourists. Maybe with the current pricing of UNL it'll start getting more popularity (but, as suspected, LPG tax will start to increase). It is encouraging to see that at least one more company has started providing LPG conversions here in Ireland. Mountainview Motors in Brittas were the only installers for many years (not sure if they still do).

You couldn't plan anything with this government, continually moving the goalposts with everything. Their latest trick on the road tax revamp has killed off the moter trade.
    Won't do LPG again as when I had it on a car in the late 80's there were very few places to fill up and it gradually got dearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

jesus, petrol was 157.9 last week at the place I usually go as it was the cheapest, but on my last stop it was already 164.9, now its gone up to 166.9? wtf
    Ok I get petrol is going up by the frequency of increases, its not week on week its changing a couple of times a week?

I understand the costs of motoring, I dont usually complain, I dont do much mileage as it is, just venting really
    I usually stick with a place until they decide to up the prices frequently, I probably wont have much luck but i need to find somewhere cheaper again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I'm genuinely frightened at the way things are going......my old mantra of the 2 euro a Litre is genuinely a worrying reality.

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

Do you mind me asking how long you own your own car, how long you are driving and if you are in full time employment/education?

Why do you need to know that?

Pretty weird for a mod of motoring to be asking that.

Sobranek at least had some idea's.Good one's too, especially for hauliers.

What are yours?

Besides asking people about there age, education, employment, car history:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Sure its the equivalent of €1.75 or 1.76 in the North for diesel was talking to boys above last week who couldnt believe it was 10 -20c cheaper down here.

RXMPS wrote: »

Sobranek at least had some idea's.Good one's too, especially for hauliers.

His idea was blocking the N7, M50, M7 and some other motorway on a Saturday.
    What other good ideas did he have?

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

Personally I think no business registered for vat should be paying tax on fuel.

Any business providing employment should have the best environment in place to expand on that.

A governments job is to put an environment in place that allows for the creation of jobs and better services, it's not to create employment, it's to put an environment in place so people can create it.

No tax on fuel for businesses would lower costs and increase employment.

We the workers need to get back to reality.

Like the old days, when managers had good modern cars, workers had 15 year old cars.

Alot of people complaining about the cost of fuel have 08 and newer cars, they would have been alot wiser getting an 99-00 car and putting the thousands spared towards fuel.

Anyone with a modern car complaining about fuel cost's needs to get real.

When it comes to the day I can put fuel in my car, ( it's almost here now ), I will be getting a 99 1.0l Yaris and pocketing a few thousand from the sale of my current car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Bearcat wrote: »
    I'm genuinely frightened at the way things are going......my old mantra of the 2 euro a Litre is genuinely a worrying reality.

2 euro is nailed on by the years end imo it's beyond that i worry. Where will it end? I think we will look back at 2 euro a litre as cheap by 2015.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

RXMPS wrote: »
    Why do you need to know that?

Pretty weird for a mod of motoring to be asking that.

I'm entitled to ask questions here ,same as everybody else.

Advertisement