Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Yeah.Those pesky guards.:rolleyes: Can you only imagine the sh!t they're putting up with from those hillbillies (and we never see THOSE recordings). 100% onside with the Garda on this one.

(And I am on record as not normally condoning checkpoints). This guy was obviously looking for confrontation.

can we see your records please? I must see proof that you do not normally condone checkpoints. And can we see any reason that you have for condoning or not condoning checkpoints normally and what it has to do with what you said about the alleged sh1t that these hillbillies would be doing, speeding? not paying road tax? what?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    How so? Have you been seen first hand with what's going on over there? If not then your comment is flippant to say the least.

ha ha, i know, I hear it's blue murder trying to find chipper in Castlebar that stays open past 12 on a weekday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

hondasam wrote: »
    No I have no evidence it is edited but I would not be surprised or shocked if it was.

The video is posted. You can watch it again and judge for yourself whether it has been edited or not. Having watched it again I'd be surprised if it was edited. Your lack of surprise is meaningless if it isn't based on the available evidence.

for the record, I am not a fascist, but I do condone the use of checkpoints when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

While I'm not condoning the actions of the guards in this video, the driver certainly didn't do himself any favours.

I have no problem with checkpoints and though the driver made things more difficult than what was necessary, the guards acted more with emotion than reason. Very badly handled on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Zab wrote: »
    The video is posted. You can watch it again and judge for yourself whether it has been edited or not. Having watched it again I'd be surprised if it was edited. Your lack of surprise is meaningless if it isn't based on the available evidence.

The video is clearly edited - since when do conversation pop ups appear on unedited videos.

What we don't know is if the video has had any of it cut out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The video is clearly edited - since when do conversation pop ups appear on unedited videos.

What we don't know is if the video has had any of it cut out

Okay, I concede the poor terminology but everybody is talking about there being a part missing, not there being overlays. There was no confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's not always easy to be a copper, you've got to know all the chippers in your area and when they close at night.

They have standards to uphold and they should do so. If their job is indeed difficult some of the time, was their job difficult in this situation?

The answer is no

Do they all love chippers, always thought this was a myth.
    Based on what we have seen probably not.
    ha ha, i know, I hear it's blue murder trying to find chipper in Castlebar that stays open past 12 on a weekday

The chips will be well cold by the time they get out to glengad with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If the window was broken, why didn't he open the passenger window, why didn't he open the door, why didn't he pull over when the female garda verbally asked him to, why didn't he pull over when the he was gestered to several times?

Why did he respond several times 'I'm going about my business, whats the story?'

Did he do him self any favours? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

irish-stew wrote: »
    If the window was broken, why didn't he open the passenger window, why didn't he open the door.

true, but then the gardai didnt ask him to open the passenger window or door either, wouldn't want to be telling an angry garda how to do his job would ya? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

No wonder this country is over run by scumbags - no respect for the law abiding people of the country, no respect for the law, and no respect for the law enforcers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Zab wrote: »
    Wow. The quote is actually "it's not every day that the batons come out, but protests are every week day". You should look for a job with The Sun.

Sorry about that. Completely unintentional.

Read it briefly (obviously arseways). Then posted from memory a while later - hence no links etc. Edited the post to remove wrong "quote".

Seachmall wrote: »
    If you go to 1:29 in the OP's video you hear tapping and "Hold on a second. Hold on! Calm Down" or something to that effect as if the Garda is trying to break the window.

I thought we were looking at different clip all right.

This is the one I'm looking at, this is on STS site.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WallysWorld

Jesus, this thread.:(

It doesn't matter that the guy was looking to provoke a reaction, going on the video evidence alone even if he was he didn't do a whole lot of provoking. As far as I can see he was just a tad on the non-cooperative side, which I fully agree he should not have been, but he was attempting to cooperate and was just pulling into the side when the 3rd guard without the hi-vis walked in front of him.

It took less than 40 seconds for the 3rd Guard to go from nothing to smashing the window and threatening the guy with pepper spray. That is unacceptable.

At no point did he threaten the Guards, and they are the ones who escalated this.

The Guardai are for the most part an excellent force and any time I've had dealings with them whether I was in the right or wrong they have been nothing but professional, that 3rd Guard was anything but.

The reality is when Guards or any authority figures are given a measure of power over members of the public then they have to be held to a higher standard than Johnny Bigbollix on the street.

That Guard let his emotions get the better of him and that's just not good enough when he has power over members of the public, the Guards have the right to expect us to be co-operative but we also have the right to expect the highest standards of behaviour from them while they are in uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The driver appears calm. On the Frontline programme he comes across as a reasonable chap.

On the other hand the Garda in the video comes across as an unhinged, power-hungry and ignorant thug. All that's missing is the grunt and oink.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The clown should have cooperated when he had the chance, he was given ample opportunity to do so. The cops in Mayo have enough to be worried about with that select group of backward lunatics causing mayhem with the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If a Garda wants to arrest you he is not going to stop because you lock your car door. Don't know what the guy expected to happen when he refused to obey the Garda demands.

Edit: I also had to laugh at the blatantly incorrect captions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Watched the video again and again and have to say I wonder what sort of training that man who smashed the window recieved. He was ill temepered and unable to seperate his emotions from his job.

Saying that the man involved could have been more co-operative and I would like to have heard the whole conversation. Its hard to make a judgement on a conversation we could not hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

1 do we all happen to have phones recording just when u arrive at a check point .. ?
    2. Way over the top by the guard but driver dragged it out and it also looks guard has a very short temper ..
    It can be used on a best practice video for them..how to ask the public to get out of their cars ? Was he planning to pull the guy out the window? Or no the window was for good measure ...

Brings me back to how another guard spoke to my elderly father a few years back during a random road check . . Aggression first ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

That'd be cool, if he pulled him through the window.

• Advertisement

I think it is interesting that the man had the camera operating in the first place. Is it reflective on how abusive the Gardai are in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Cameras on the dash are becoming very common these days (helpful if you are involved in an accident).

However, this guy set out to get a reaction, so most likely had the cam for that reason.

Edz87 wrote: »
    I think it is interesting that the man had the camera operating in the first place. Is it reflective on how abusive the Gardai are in that area?

No more to do with the protesters and their cause, the gardai get some abuse there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Not commenting on the actions of the Garda but once a member make his mind up to effect an arrest he can use force to effect it.

Like the old story that if you are stopped for drink driving just lock your doors and wait for the Gardai to get bored.

If you tried the above I could see similar happening as in the video above.

Once a Garda makes up his mind he is going to arrest you, its going to happen regardless.

That'd be cool, if he pulled him through the window.

Im finding it hard to see the difference between these actions and a thug's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Guards were right to smash his window in. If the driver did not act like suck a dickhead and copperated fully then obviously they would not have reacted that way. No respect was shown so he deserved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Numpty, should have opened his door or the other window

billyhead wrote: »
    The Guards were right to smash his window in. If the driver did not act like suck a dickhead and copperated fully then obviously they would not have reacted that way. No respect was shown so he deserved it

What jobs are people allowed to act like thugs in when people fail to show them respect is it just the police?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It doesn't matter that the guy was looking to provoke a reaction, going on the video evidence alone even if he was he didn't do a whole lot of provoking.
    If the guards are getting involved, a hiding isn't far off, that's just the nature of the business. They are authorised by the state to use force, so they do. Maybe there's a better way to run it, but then again I don't deal with scumbags, wife beaters, drug dealers, thieves, rapists and murderers on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

billyhead wrote: »

So essentially the coppers are supposed to be treated like an overgrown 5 year old?

Advertisement