Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

lastlaugh wrote: »
    What do you think?

I think you missed Micky's point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You may need to educate yourself about people who have learning disabilities or who may have social interaction problems.

You are giving the clown in the video too much credit Micky.

Do a google on John Monaghan rossport. The guy has been at this for years.

These guards know him well and are probably sick to the teeth with him.

Having said all that.. The fact that they do know him, and know that he was harmless but fooking annoying, probably would say that they shouldn't have broken his window.

Just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think you missed Micky's point.

Do you think this guy is a bit 'slow' or what, because I certainly don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You may need to stop trying to dream up excuses for a trouble making twat.

Social interaction problems, that's a good one, do people with 'learning disabilities' usually put up hidden cameras on their dashboards?

What do you think?

Micky is trying to look at it from a different angle and he could be right about this man, we don't know.
    I still think the driver and the guard was wrong, who is more wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

humberklog wrote: »
    That I honestly don't know. I'm reading off my brief marked Canky Pedant charter 1982:).

Tellsya what does matter...ability to investigate a situation.

Of course gardai dont have to be wearing a hat, sure what about plain clothes gardai and citizens arrests??

If this had happened in another country there wouldnt even be a debate, they should've smashed the window earlier, you can clearly see a guard telling him to pull into the side which he refused to do, he could've had anything in that car including a weapon...

• Advertisement

Do you think this guy is a bit 'slow' or what, because I certainly don't.

I don't and from reading Micky's posts I don't think he does either.

Micky seems to be suggesting the Garda reacted without looking at the situation as a whole.

This guy in the car probably wasn't disabled, however (presumably) the Garda didn't know that. Had the driver had a condition everyone here would be singing a completely different tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Do a google on John Monaghan rossport. The guy has been at this for years. The first result on google comes up with the quote "the batons are raised every week".

Wow. The quote is actually "it's not every day that the batons come out, but protests are every week day". You should look for a job with The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

My point is the driver could have been. It was up to the Gardai to establish that before force was used. They did not establish that IMO.

hondasam wrote: »
    Micky is trying to look at it from a different angle and he could be right about this man, we don't know.
    I still think the driver and the guard was wrong, who is more wrong?

If the guy is genuinely slow well then fair enough, but if he's that slow, should he even be driving?

To me, and I would imagine to a lot of other people, the bloke went out to deliberately get a negative response from the Guards by playing 'innocently' stupid, oh, and he just happened to be recording it as he was 'going along with his business' for good measure.

To even suggest that he is simple minded strikes me as very naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

They should of pepper sprayed the f****r..
    He was deliberately been awkward he only told them the window was broken when they started to try and force it open..

• Advertisement

If the guy is genuinely slow well then fair enough, but if he's that slow, should he even be driving?

To me, and I would imagine to a lot of other people, the bloke went out to deliberately get a negative response from the Guards by playing 'innocently' stupid, oh, and he just happened to be recording it as he was 'going along with his business' for good measure.

And hindsight is a great thing however I still think you're missing the point.

Had the driver had a condition everyone here would be singing a completely different tune.

What kind of condition are you suggesting?

What kind of condition are you suggesting?

I know very little about medical or psychological conditions so I'm not suggesting any.

However the specifics aren't important to the point.

Yes he deliberately provoked them to get the reaction but as pointed out they are the professionals and should act accordingly.

The point that micky is making (I think) is that they would have done the same thing regardless, they should have taken more time to find out the situation before using force.
    Apologies if this is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

He could have driven that road ten times that week and caused an obstruction to the Gardai every time.. who knows.
    It is quite clear that the guy was there to get a reaction, and was most likely known to the Gardai.

Two things here If you've been stopped 10 times at the same c/p in a week you'd be well pissed off and you think the gaurds might recgonise you after a while and wave you through.
    bruschi wrote: »
    Driver set this up and knew what he was doing. He is part of Pobal Chill Chomáin, and is a protestor to the shell to sea action. http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1134672 here on frontline at around 41 mins. Highly likely he is known to the guards in that case.

Highly unlikely, as he was threatened with being brought to Belmullet and held untill his identity was verified.

would love to see an unedited version, but for now the cops don't look to good.surely if you're going to break someone's car window you should give them ample warning to comply first

And hindsight is a great thing however I still think you're missing the point.

If the point you think I'm missing is that the bloke in the car maybe perhaps could have had some kind of condition that caused him to behave in a what may be percieved as a slightly retarded person so I should not be so judgemental kind of thing, well then I don't think I missed it.

Well Micky, you certainly have a few supporters backing you up on your point...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

milehip1 wrote: »
    Two things here If you've been stopped 10 times at the same c/p in a week you'd be well pissed off and you think the gaurds might recgonise you after a while and wave you through.

Highly unlikely, as he was threatened with being brought to Belmullet and held untill his identity was verified.

would love to see an unedited version, but for now the cops don't look to good.surely if you're going to break someone's car window you should give them ample warning to comply first

Surely the crucial bit here is that this is an edited video made by the driver and posted by him for his own purposes - of course it's going to show his side of the story, and the worst of the Gardai? (Although he still manages to come out of it looking like the muppet he's been called so many times in this thread!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

If anyone thinks that was a proffesional way to deal with someone then that really is a sad state of affairs, Guardians of the peace first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

If you watch it again he clearly made an attempt to pull in before the third Garda approached the driver's window.

I'd say you need to watch it again to be fair. The female Gardaí very politely asked him to pull in twice, to which he replied "No" and "I'm eh, going about my business".

He later claims not to have been able to hear the Gardaí at all. What an idiot.

The other driver ends up turing around because our hero wants to be a youtube star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If the point you think I'm missing is that the bloke in the car maybe perhaps could have had some kind of condition that caused him to behave in a what may be percieved as a slightly retarded person so I should not be so judgemental kind of thing, well then I don't think I missed it.

The only root point here is that 90 seconds between stopping a car at a checkpoint and smashing the window is an unacceptably short amount of time given that we have no indication that the driver did anything aggressive. This is a totally separate issue to the driver turning out to be a douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Everyone in the video comes across as an idiot.

The driver was trolling the guards, being as uncooperative as possible and trying to provoke a reaction.

The guards completely over-reacted.

Both sides really let themselves down. Basically, they acted exactly the way the other side wanted them to.

From the driver's point of view, he knows what the situation is like in the area and that the guards might recognise him. So coming up to a Garda checkpoint, he would probably expect that he might get some hassle from the guards trying to get a rise out of him and use that as an excuse to treat the protesters badly.
    So he should have been as calm and co-operative as possible (unless the Guards started being unreasonable without provocation) so as not to react the way the guards wanted him to (not that they definitely did want that: I'm just imaging his perspective).
    He could've gone on his merry way without giving the guards an excuse to get heavy-handed, and without having given them the satisfaction of provoking him.

The guards: even if they didn't recognise him, it should have been very clear to them very quickly that he was trying to provoke them, so they shouldn't have risen to the bait. As soon as the driver said that the window wouldn't open, they should have told him that he could open his door (though maybe they did and we didn't hear it). But by smashing in the window they played right into the driver's hands. Very unprofessional, particularly given the situation in the area, where they should be aware that people would try to provoke them to make them look bad.

Both parties let down their side badly, probably just making an already difficult situation even worse.

As to the issue of obeying the guards, well clearly we shouldn't obey them blindly. But if the request or instruction seems reasonable, I don't see why someone shouldn't go along with it.
    If I were driving and was asked to pull over at a checkpoint and open my window and produce my driver's licence, I'd comply.
    But if I was asked to go to the station without a reason, I'd refuse until they told me why.

There is one thing I'd like cleared up though...

Was the motor broken? The driver doesn't really make that clear!

No. Nobody is suggesting the driver was slow.

The point is the Garda did not, or could not, know that the driver wasn't slow.

The Garda did not allow for enough time to analyze the situation to ensure the driver was not mentally incapable of fulfilling his requests in such short a time.

In a hypothetical scenario where the driver is slow the Garda would have clearly overreacted.

It's about situational awareness and understanding all possibilities before taking drastic action.
    I'd say you need to watch it again to be fair. The female Gardaí very politely asked him to pull in twice, to which he replied "No" and "I'm eh, going about my business".
    1:08.

The Garda moves out of his way and gestures for him to drive.
    He slowly advances forward as per her request.
    The third Garda walks in front of his car.
    He halts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

your first point contradicts your second point. You say the guards should recognise him and wave him through and then say its highly unlikely he is known.

and 2 minutes at a check point is more than enough time to show your driving license and not be roaring 'whats the story here, I'm going about my business'. Its not as if he had to give detailed statements about what he was doing. all he had to do was show his licence and drive on and keep going about his business.

as I already said, the guard shouldnt have broke his window, but yer man shouldnt have acted like a complete arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Why can we not bash Gardai ? Can we bash clampers or tax men ?

Why do Gardai get special treatment ?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hopefully they keep up the good work. The Gardai do a good job in the Irish Republic from what I have heard.

Well Micky, you certainly have a few supporters backing you up on your point...

I'm not backing him up, I'm just looking at it from a different point of view.
    When someone puts another possibility into the mix you have to think about it.

Drivers statment c&p'd from the thred in the motoring forum

"This occurred at lunchtime on Ash Wednesday, 22nd February, 2012, on a small local road, L1202 in Glengad, Co Mayo. This is close to Shell’s haulage route and about 70 metres from Shell’s compound in Glengad. This is a few kilometres from Shell’s refinery site at Bellanaboy.
    “You can see that two female Gardaí approached the car. When the third Garda, a man, approached the window, he had his baton drawn before he knocked on the window. After he smashed the window, I got out of the car. The Garda told me I was under arrest. I was surrounded by Gardaí with batons drawn.
    ” ‘Are you refusing to show your licence?’,” the male Garda said. I thought I was in for a beating.
    “When I took out my driver’s licence and he looked at it, the atmosphere changed instantly. They all backed away and suddenly I wasn’t under arrest any more. The only conclusion I can draw is that they assumed I was an outside supporter, from the Rossport Solidarity Camp. I assume that when they saw my name and a Rossport address address, that is what changed their approach.
    “So, I was left a bleeding hand from the broken window and with a car with a broken window on the side of the road. I phoned Belmullet Garda station to complain and to ask for assistance. They refused to send anyone.
    “Following that refusal, I phoned the Garda Ombudsman’s office in Dublin. They said that as there was no complaint to investigate, they would not investigate until a formal complaint was made. They told me I could make a written complaint or visit their office (which is in Dublin).
    “So I felt the best thing to do was to release this footage, so that people can see what life is like on the roads here close to Shell’s operations. This kind of thing is happening to varying degrees every day here. People need to that this is happening, that it could happen to them and that they will receive no protection"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Drivers statment c&p'd from the thred in the motoring forum

"This occurred at lunchtime on Ash Wednesday, 22nd February, 2012, on a small local road, L1202 in Glengad, Co Mayo. This is close to Shell’s haulage route and about 70 metres from Shell’s compound in Glengad. This is a few kilometres from Shell’s refinery site at Bellanaboy.
    “You can see that two female Gardaí approached the car. When the third Garda, a man, approached the window, he had his baton drawn before he knocked on the window. After he smashed the window, I got out of the car. The Garda told me I was under arrest. I was surrounded by Gardaí with batons drawn.
    ” ‘Are you refusing to show your licence?’,” the male Garda said. I thought I was in for a beating.
    “When I took out my driver’s licence and he looked at it, the atmosphere changed instantly. They all backed away and suddenly I wasn’t under arrest any more. The only conclusion I can draw is that they assumed I was an outside supporter, from the Rossport Solidarity Camp. I assume that when they saw my name and a Rossport address address, that is what changed their approach.
    “So, I was left a bleeding hand from the broken window and with a car with a broken window on the side of the road. I phoned Belmullet Garda station to complain and to ask for assistance. They refused to send anyone.
    “Following that refusal, I phoned the Garda Ombudsman’s office in Dublin. They said that as there was no complaint to investigate, they would not investigate until a formal complaint was made. They told me I could make a written complaint or visit their office (which is in Dublin).
    “So I felt the best thing to do was to release this footage, so that people can see what life is like on the roads here close to Shell’s operations. This kind of thing is happening to varying degrees every day here. People need to that this is happening, that it could happen to them and that they will receive no protection"

So perhaps the guards just wanted to see his licence then?

If he'd just opened his door at the beginning and shown it, he mightn't have had any trouble at all.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    your first point contradicts your second point. You say the guards should recognise him and wave him through and then say its highly unlikely he is known.

and 2 minutes at a check point is more than enough time to show your driving license and not be roaring 'whats the story here, I'm going about my business'. Its not as if he had to give detailed statements about what he was doing. all he had to do was show his licence and drive on and keep going about his business.

as I already said, the guard shouldnt have broke his window, but yer man shouldnt have acted like a complete arsehole.

I said "If":rolleyes:

Advertisement