Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Seachmall wrote: »
    No. Nobody is suggesting the driver was slow.

The point is the Garda did not, or could not, know that the driver wasn't slow.

The Garda did not allow for enough time to analyze the situation to ensure the driver was not mentally incapable of fulfilling his requests in such short a time.

In a hypothetical scenario where the driver is slow the Garda would have clearly overreacted.

It's about situational awareness and understanding all possibilities before taking drastic action.

1:08.

The Garda moves out of his way and gestures for him to drive.
    He slowly advances forward as per her request.
    The third Garda walks in front of his car.
    He halts.

Jesus H Christ.

The bloke didn't do what he was asked to do and was completely taking the piss, the Guard got pissed off and took 'drastic' action as you say.

Good enough for the F*cker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Well Micky, you certainly have a few supporters backing you up on your point...

While I agree his point is valid and worth consideration I think it's only one of many factors that need to be considered, and personally I'm not sure if it's a big enough concern in this situation.
    lastlaugh wrote:
    Jesus H Christ.

The bloke didn't do what he was asked to do and was completely taking the piss, the Guard got pissed off and took 'drastic' action as you say.
    I'm just trying to explain the point as you seem to have misunderstood it.

Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,631 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

milehip1 wrote: »
    Drivers statment c&p'd from the thred in the motoring forum

"This occurred at lunchtime on Ash Wednesday, 22nd February, 2012, on a small local road, L1202 in Glengad, Co Mayo. This is close to Shell’s haulage route and about 70 metres from Shell’s compound in Glengad. This is a few kilometres from Shell’s refinery site at Bellanaboy.
    “You can see that two female Gardaí approached the car. When the third Garda, a man, approached the window, he had his baton drawn before he knocked on the window. After he smashed the window, I got out of the car. The Garda told me I was under arrest. I was surrounded by Gardaí with batons drawn.
    ” ‘Are you refusing to show your licence?’,” the male Garda said. I thought I was in for a beating.
    “When I took out my driver’s licence and he looked at it, the atmosphere changed instantly. They all backed away and suddenly I wasn’t under arrest any more. The only conclusion I can draw is that they assumed I was an outside supporter, from the Rossport Solidarity Camp. I assume that when they saw my name and a Rossport address address, that is what changed their approach.
    “So, I was left a bleeding hand from the broken window and with a car with a broken window on the side of the road. I phoned Belmullet Garda station to complain and to ask for assistance. They refused to send anyone.
    “Following that refusal, I phoned the Garda Ombudsman’s office in Dublin. They said that as there was no complaint to investigate, they would not investigate until a formal complaint was made. They told me I could make a written complaint or visit their office (which is in Dublin).
    “So I felt the best thing to do was to release this footage, so that people can see what life is like on the roads here close to Shell’s operations. This kind of thing is happening to varying degrees every day here. People need to that this is happening, that it could happen to them and that they will receive no protection"

You purposely acted like a prat and deserved what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

You purposely acted like a prat and deserved what you got.

MOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Jesus H Christ.

You are that Garda, aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

So it seems like the Gardaí just wanted to see his license. I kind of had a feeling that that might be what was going on when they were repeatedly asking to see his license.

I think maybe, just maybe now mind, he should have just opened his door and handed it over in the first place instead of sitting there playing deaf and dumb like and absolute twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yes illegal arrest if theres no hat on.

Legally if you knock a gardas hat off whilst he's arresting you then the arrest is cancelled. If the garda attempts to continue with the arrest then you can actually make a citizens arrest on him for impersonating a garda. Fact.

Wrong, One of the funniest things I ever seen was two Garda hats floating down the river Suir after they had disturbed some girls drinking at Clonmel's famous Green Lane shed, The girls didn't take kindly to being separated from their Linden Village and in true Clonmel style a ruckus broke out and by the time the girls got arrested the hats were well on their adventure down the Suir.:pac:

You are that Garda, aren't you?

I have a lot of respect for the Guards and the work they do.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with anything like the amount of sh!t they have to put up with in my job.

I have zero sympathy for the bloke in the car, or his window!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

hondasam wrote: »

For all the Gardai knew, the driver may have been a bit slow in the head department. After 90 seconds, the Gardas action seem rash.

How long would you talk nice to him and plead with him to open the door?
    The driver was looking for a reaction and he got it, bit more than he bargained for maybe.

Theres an intermediate between talking nicely to the man and blowing a few blood vessels and smashing a window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

the driver is an ass

he deserved to be pepper sprayed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Theres an intermediate between talking nicely to the man and blowing a few blood vessels and smashing a window.

We really don't know how long they were talking, the video is edited.
    If it was just 90 seconds then might be hasty on the garda's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No. Nobody is suggesting the driver was slow.

The point is the Garda did not, or could not, know that the driver wasn't slow.

The Garda did not allow for enough time to analyze the situation to ensure the driver was not mentally incapable of fulfilling his requests in such short a time.

In a hypothetical scenario where the driver is slow the Garda would have clearly overreacted.

It's about situational awareness and understanding all possibilities before taking drastic action.

1:08.

The Garda moves out of his way and gestures for him to drive.
    He slowly advances forward as per her request.
    The third Garda walks in front of his car.
    He halts.

Jesus H Christ.

Why does Ireland expect so little from their police force he was supposed to be a professional not lose his cool in under three minutes.

While I agree his point is valid and worth consideration I think it's only one of many factors that need to be considered, and personally I'm not sure if it's a big enough concern in this situation.

I'm just trying to explain the point as you seem to have misunderstood it.

Relax.

You seem to have Zen like qualities I lack.

I'm relaxed now thanks!

He probably had some yellow cake uranium in the glove box for the purpose of making it into some crude sort of device in which to blow up an improvised checkpoint in rural Mayo.

Yeh cant to too careful when dealing with de pubbilik.

Also I do not buy "Sher they have a tough job" shi­te for one nanosecond. They signed up for it. They have to take the good with the bad and act professionally at all times, no exceptions.

If you enlist, then you march. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If it was just 90 seconds then might be hasty on the garda's part.

Where is the video edited? I see no break in continuity.

I'm not backing him up, I'm just looking at it from a different point of view.
    When someone puts another possibility into the mix you have to think about it.

Maybe he had an accident in his pants and he was really embarrassed about it? He wouldn't open his window or the door cause of the smell that would come out?

If there are any Guards reading this please take this into consideration the next time someone starts behaving like this.

the video isn't edited.Check out the jeep and it's movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

****ing hell. If a Garda did this to me I'd have them up in front of the Ombudsman so ****ing fast. Within 30 seconds of approaching the car, the third Garda smashes in his car window for **** sake. I don't think the guy is being purposefully uncooperative, I think he's just a bit slow. You can hear it in the Garda's voice that he is enraged and obviously not thinking calmly, soundly or logically. He personally should have to pay for the damage done to the vehicle and compensation for the injury to the man's hand. He is also obviously quick to rage and I would have to question his competence in dealing with the public. Perhaps he would be more suited to a desk job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Micky, you are a voice of reason amongst these facist pig dogs, maybe a few police beatings to the chattering classes would change their tune?

It's a classic case of it's alright till it happens to me mentality.

the video isn't edited.Check out the jeep and it's movements.

Is that not what was said about the rape one? That one was edited.

• Advertisement

Micky, you are a voice of reason amongst these facist pig dogs, maybe a few police beatings to the chattering classes would change their tune?

Who would these be exactly?

It think it's clear who I am talking about

Gardai have a job to do, it's not always easy. Give them a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Oh, right. You've no evidence the video was edited, you're just proclaiming it to be so because some other video was edited.

No idea what you are talking about. Was there a jeep in that one? and wasn't it just audio?

Who are you talking about?

Zab wrote: »
    Oh, right. You've no evidence the video was edited, you're just proclaiming it to be so because some other video was edited.

No I have no evidence it is edited but I would not be surprised or shocked if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yeah.Those pesky guards.:rolleyes: Can you only imagine the sh!t they're putting up with from those hillbillies (and we never see THOSE recordings). 100% onside with the Garda on this one.

(And I am on record as not normally condoning checkpoints). This guy was obviously looking for confrontation.

Gardai have a job to do, it's not always easy. Give them a break.

They had their break, and they happened to break a window in this case

It's not always easy to be a copper, you've got to know all the chippers in your area and when they close at night.

It's not always easy, but it is most of the time.

They have standards to uphold and they should do so. If their job is indeed difficult some of the time, was their job difficult in this situation?

The answer is no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

They had their break, and they happened to break a window in this case

It's not always easy to be a copper, you've got to know all the chippers in your area and when they close at night.

It's not always easy, but it is most of the time.

They have standards to uphold and they should do so. If their job is indeed difficult some of the time, was their job difficult in this situation?

The answer is no

How so? Have you been seen first hand with what's going on over there? If not then your comment is flippant to say the least.

Advertisement