Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Ricardo G wrote: »
    I think your expecting me to unexpectingly expect your expectations...bet you did'nt expect that :rolleyes:

ha ha, nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

For all the Gardai knew, the driver may have been a bit slow in the head department. After 90 seconds, the Gardas action seem rash.

How long would you talk nice to him and plead with him to open the door?
    The driver was looking for a reaction and he got it, bit more than he bargained for maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

hondasam wrote: »
    Tapping the window is not breaking it. feck you I have to keep going back to look at it again. :D what one are you looking at?

If you go to 1:29 in the OP's video you hear tapping and "Hold on a second. Hold on! Calm Down" or something to that effect as if the Garda is trying to break the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

For all the Gardai knew, the driver may have been a bit slow in the head department. After 90 seconds, the Gardas action seem rash.

It is quite clear that the guy was there to get a reaction, and was most likely known to the Gardai.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    You only have to cooperate as much as the law requires.

I just can't get my head around how or why anyone would fail to give a couple of minutes, or less to Gardai for a reasonable request. Whether or not it is strictly written in the (piece of shít Irish) law or not.
    Of course I'll have lost interest at that point. :pac:

That made me laugh :D

• Advertisement

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I'm out

Much like with politics and the ggs, you've gotta be in it, to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

How long would you talk nice to him and plead with him to open the door?
    The driver was looking for a reaction and he got it, bit more than he bargained for maybe.

Longer then 90 seconds. There were 4 officers on the scene and the one in shot looks clearly surprised with the speed force was used. A professional lost his cool. That's not good enough.

If you go to 1:29 in the OP's video you hear tapping and "Hold on a second. Hold on! Calm Down" or something to that effect as if the Garda is trying to break the window.

We don't know that, he is just asking him to open it. probably.
    The video is edited, probably lasted longer than what we are seeing.

It is quite clear that the guy was there to get a reaction, and was most likely known to the Gardai.

I just can't get my head around how or why anyone would fail to give a couple of minutes, or less to Gardai for a reasonable request. Whether or not it is strictly written in the (piece of shít Irish) law or not.

That made me laugh :D

please oh please, let you never make it onto a jury

It is quite clear that the guy was there to get a reaction, and was most likely known to the Gardai

Not known the the Garda that smashed the window. He can be clearly heard arresting the driver and telling him he will be held until his identity can be found out.

• Advertisement

Longer then 90 seconds. There were 4 officers on the scene and the one in shot looks clearly surprised with the speed force was used. A professional lost his cool. That's not good enough.

They are human not robots, do you not think the driver could have opened the door?
    I agree professionals should be able to keep cool.

Not known the the Garda that smashed the window. He can be clearly heard arresting the driver and telling him he will be held until his identity can be found out.

Procedure if he had no Id on him. He would have to produce some ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Why didn't he open the door and not be such a knob about it? If the window is broken then open the door. Driver was totally in the wrong IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Driver set this up and knew what he was doing. He is part of Pobal Chill Chomáin, and is a protestor to the shell to sea action. http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1134672 here on frontline at around 41 mins. Highly likely he is known to the guards in that case.

If I drive up to a checkpoint, and a guard asks for a license, I say yep, show it, and then be off again within 10 seconds. I dont go up roaring, 'whats the story here?' And if they ask me what I'm doing, I'll say going to work or going home or whatever it is. He was provoking them going on about 'I'm going about my business, whats teh story here?'. He was acting like a dickhead, and he got treated like a dickhead.

The fact he filmed it shows he was only out to set up the situation. Sets up a situation and provokes the guards, and then cries like a bitch when they react. Lets taunt a dog and poke it with a stick, and then blame the dog and cry to mammy when it bites.

The guard coming in shouldnt have broke the window, but the situation would never have got to that if he wasnt looking for provocation. He waited for over a minute and until he was being threatened to say the window was broken. Why not say it at the start?

A case of 2 dickheads meeting, with one dickhead being worse than another.

please oh please, let you never make it onto a jury

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Fair play to the Gardai. The driver deserved it.

They are human not robots, do you not think the driver could have opened the door?

You could use the robot excuse for anything. He could have opened the door. Force was used to quickly in this instance IMO. The driver could have been a bit slow. The Gardai didn't really care to find out.

For some people it's out of frustration. Some genuinely feel it's none of Gardai's business. Some are just acting the bollocks.

Regardless they are entitled to in some situations not to cooperate, whether you disagree with them or not they do have that right. And the Gardai should respect that right (as the law allows it).

In this case it's too unclear to know what's going on, but as a general rule the above holds true.

You could use the robot excuse for anything. He could have opened the door. Force was used to quickly in this instance IMO. The driver could have been a bit slow. The Gardai didn't really care to find out.

I agree breaking the window was OTT but like I said all ready if it happened any other place it would not be talked about.
    You must know the protesters do this for the publicity which is why I'm always surprised at the guards for reacting so badly knowing it's recorded.
    The driver could have been lots of things, slow ain't one of them. I think they are both as much wrong in their own way.

For some people it's out of frustration. Some genuinely feel it's none of Gardai's business. Some are just acting the bollocks.

Regardless they are entitled to in some situations not to cooperate, whether you disagree with them or not they do have that right. And the Gardai should respect that right (as the law allows it).

In this case it's too unclear to know what's going on, but as a general rule the above holds true.

I see what you mean. It also means that they are giving the Gardai reason to be suspicious of what they may be hiding though.

I'd imagine he uses that line over and over in that part of the world, and with what they are putting up with. As Seachmall pointed out, the chap needed something in the law to have reason to detain him and find out why he wasn't co-operating.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that you think all gardaí with robots? Are you saying that this wouldn't have happened if we had robots policing the means streets?

This may be the case.

I agree with you that the professionals were bang out of order (aawda) in the above video.

We should have learnt our lesson after the mess that was robocop 3 though.

You have 5 seconds to comply, 5,4,3,2,1.... broken window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

If he was that slow in the head he shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

"Oh look there's a red light, whad am I supposed to do again :confused:"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe it was the driver tapping the window and the Garda trying to calm him down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Where To wrote: »
    If this was the US driver wouldn't be too healthy now.Gardai put up with far too much sh** in this country

Because the US is such a shining example of how to live? The US is one of the most psychologically messed up countries in the world. Our Gardaí do comparatively put up with more rubbish but I'd rather deal with them than have my head blown off by some trigger-happy American on an ego mission

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Wow, only seeing this now. What an utter gob****e driving that car, you can tell by his tone even, purely trying to provoke a reaction. You can almost here delight in his voice when the window is smashed.

What topped it off for me is that he wouldn't even pull in to the side of the road to let the oncoming road user go about their business. Pure ignorance.

There could have been a serious crime after taking place in the area for all he knew.

God forbid but if these Gardaí were investigating a child abduction or even worse, and this gob****e decided to have his little hissy fit, wasting their time, alot of people would have a very different opinion on this.

Maybe it was the driver tapping the window and the Garda trying to calm him down :)

Possible I suppose, maybe he was trying to open the door and the guard was standing in the way. He is probably reading this thread getting ideas for his case.

lastlaugh wrote: »
    If he was that slow in the head he shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

"Oh look there's a red light, whad am I supposed to do again :confused:"

You may need to educate yourself about people who have learning disabilities or who may have social interaction problems.

I see what you mean. It also means that they are giving the Gardai reason to be suspicious of what they may be hiding though.

But not Reasonable Supsicion.

Any instance where you must cooperate is defined by law. Any other situation you are assumed a right to refuse to cooperate. Arguing that refusal is grounds for Reasonable Suspicion undermines that inherent right.
    What topped it off for me is that he wouldn't even pull in to the side of the road to let the oncoming road user go about their business. Pure ignorance.
    If you watch it again he clearly made an attempt to pull in before the third Garda approached the driver's window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Complete over reaction by the Gardi IMO.

Part of their job is dealing with the public, yes the driver did seem to be looking for a reaction but at the end of the day if you worked in a shop or an office dealing with complaints or anywhere else as a civilised human being then this type of behaviour would get you fired on the spot.

It only occurs because they arn't called up on it.

Just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

You may need to educate yourself about people who have learning disabilities or who may have social interaction problems.

You may need to stop trying to dream up excuses for a trouble making twat.

Social interaction problems, that's a good one, do people with 'learning disabilities' usually put up hidden cameras on their dashboards?

What do you think?

Advertisement