Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

billyhead wrote: »
    The Guards were right to smash his window in. If the driver did not act like suck a dickhead and copperated fully then obviously they would not have reacted that way. No respect was shown so he deserved it

If he broke the law they're allowed to use force to make an arrest.

Despite the fact there's no clear evidence in the OP's video that he broke the law people are still fine with the use of force.

Do people here actually care about the law or de ye just want to see people ye don't like get their comeuppance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭billyhead

steddyeddy wrote: »
    What jobs are people allowed to act like thugs in when people fail to show them respect is it just the police?

They weren't acting like thugs. They were just trying to do their job and the driver was acting the prick and not complying. It was hardly police brutality. It was claearly a set up by the driver. I'd say his sole aim was to get a strong garda reaction in order to go whinging to the Ombudsman. The police in the states and UK probaly react this way all the time and nothing is said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

With every video these crusties produce I move further onto the Gardaí's side.

What a fúcking dipshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Seachmall wrote: »
    If he broke the law they're allowed to use force to make an arrest.
    Guards aren't lawyers or judges. If they suspect criminal activity they are authorised to use force in the pursuance of their duties. Not complying with the lawful directives of a guard, like pulling over, is also an offence.

Now you, as a citizen, have the power to take away that authorisation via your vote. Just be ready for the ongoing flood of AH threads about how the law is too soft on scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Despite the fact there's no clear evidence in the OP's video that he broke the law people are still fine with the use of force.

He failed to comply with the direction given, did you miss this part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Turner wrote: »
    Not commenting on the actions of the Garda but once a member make his mind up to effect an arrest he can use force to effect it.

Like the old story that if you are stopped for drink driving just lock your doors and wait for the Gardai to get bored.

If you tried the above I could see similar happening as in the video above.

Once a Garda makes up his mind he is going to arrest you, its going to happen regardless.

After less then 90 seconds though?

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Guards aren't lawyers or judges. If they suspect criminal activity they are authorised to use force in the pursuance of their duties. Not complying with the lawful directives of a guard, like pulling over, is also an offence.

He did go to pull over, the car is moving when the third Garda walks on front of him. He didn't break the law there.

The only law I can see he possibly broke was not presenting his Driver's License but the only mention of Driver's License in the video is just before the Garda begins breaking the window.
    hondasam wrote:
    He failed to comply with the direction given, did you miss this part?
    Yes, which direction did he fail to comply with?

we did not hear all that was said, did we?
    He was asked for his d/lic, he failed to provide it, he also refused to move into the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

All the driver had to do was what he was asked to do. He was looking for trouble if you ask me and he got it.

Is it really such a hassel to do what you are asked by the Gardai when they ask you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bambi wrote: »
    So essentially the coppers are supposed to be treated like an overgrown 5 year old?

Thats the impression im getting again and again. Some of the words used here portrays a very childlike mentality towards the role of the gardai "If you start acting smart they'll beat you", "I would have thrown him out of the window if he was cheeky". You get the police force you think you deserve and I really think Ireland deserve a better force than ones who "batter people for being smart".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Edz87 wrote: »
    I think it is interesting that the man had the camera operating in the first place. Is it reflective on how abusive the Gardai are in that area?

I have one on my car. It's in case of an accident.
    Im finding it hard to see the difference between these actions and a thug's actions.

A Garda is legally allowed to use force. a thug isn't.
    What jobs are people allowed to act like thugs in when people fail to obey the law is it just the police?

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

He did go to pull over, the car is moving when the third Garda walks on front of him. He didn't break the law there.

The only law I can see he possibly broke was not presenting his Driver's License but the only mention of Driver's License in the video is just before the Garda begins breaking the window.

Look at it from 50seconds.
    He was initially asked to "pull over to the side" by the ban Guard to which he replies "I'm goin about my business", he may as well told of her to F*ck off.
    Then he gives a few little coughs to make it seem all innocent for the recording.

This is becoming like the RAPE TAPE thread.

hondasam wrote: »

we did not hear all that was said, did we?
    He was asked for his d/lic, he failed to provide it, he also refused to move into the side of the road.

He made an attempt to move to the side of the road, watch the van from 1:08 as a frame of reference and the Garda's response when the third Garda walks on front of the car. The car was clearly moving in the direction that Garda was motioning.

He clearly, absolutely, 100% went to pull over. Maybe not as fast as some would like but he never refused to pull over and obliged when motioned.

The only time we hear a reference to License is a second before the Garda begins hitting his window with his baton after which the other Gardaí go to the window. I think the reaction of the Gardaí as well as the driver reasonably suggest the Garda had lost his cool. I think given the circumstances his not producing the license within 35 seconds after it was requested is acceptable.

Of course we don't know what's being said all the time, maybe they immediately requested the license, but what the video shows us is that while the guy is a dickhead the Garda is in the wrong.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I have one on my car. It's in case of an accident.

A Garda is legally allowed to use force. a thug isn't.

FYP

A gaurd is legally allowed to act like a thug is what you seem to be saying.

billyhead wrote: »
    They weren't acting like thugs. They were just trying to do their job and the driver was acting the prick and not complying. It was hardly police brutality. It was claearly a set up by the driver. I'd say his sole aim was to get a strong garda reaction in order to go whinging to the Ombudsman. The police in the states and UK probaly react this way all the time and nothing is said.

You see I agree with you the driver was looking for a set up and the driver is looking for conflict he got it. The man who smashed the windscreen acted very unprofessional.

Of course we don't know what's being said all the time but what the video shows us is that while the guy is a dickhead the Garda is in the wrong.

I'm getting tired watching it now :D
    when the video started all we could hear was him shouting at the gardai, are we to assume he had not asked him anything at this stage?
    If this is true then why was he so aggressive from the moment he stopped his car?
    I think the driver was wrong initially,the guard should not have smashed the window without trying something else first, going round to the other side of the car.

I'm getting tired watching it now :D
    when the video started all we could hear was him shouting at the gardai, are we to assume he had not asked him anything at this stage?
    If this is true then why was he so aggressive from the moment he stopped his car?
    I think the driver was wrong initially,the guard should not have smashed the window without trying something else first, going round to the other side of the car.

Were in complete agreement.

Iwhen the video started all we could hear was him shouting at the gardai, are we to assume he had not asked him anything at this stage?
    It was only a 30 odd second conversation where they could barely hear each other. I'd imagine most of the conversation was regarding him winding down his window so they could talk (refusing to wind down your window isn't a crime from what I can tell, it might be but I can't find it anywhere).
    Cause he's a dickhead :pac:

Although he is also shouting through the closed window. Also because he's a dickhead.

He made an attempt to move to the side of the road, watch the van from 1:08 as a frame of reference and the Garda's response when the third Garda walks on front of the car. The car was clearly moving in the direction that Garda was motioning.

He clearly, absolutely, 100% went to pull over. Maybe not as fast as some would like but he never refused to pull over and obliged when motioned..

If you call that an attempt to pull over well then that's where we can't agree.
    The idiot moved about 3 inches only after ignoring the ban Guard and the hand signals he was given, and he only moved when the third Guard walked in front of the car towards his door.
    And even then he didn't open the door but says "I'm goin about my business, what's goin on here?"

It was only a 30 odd second conversation where they could barely hear each other. I'd imagine most of the conversation was regarding him wind down his window (which refusing to do isn't a crime, or at least I can't find it anywhere).
    Cause he's a dickhead :pac:

Although he is also shouting through the closed window. Also because he's a dickhead.

You just will not give in will you, closed window, not a padded cell, If we could hear the gardai on the video, could he not hear them as well?
    He was/is a dick which I think we all agree, garda was a bit of a dick as well tbh but the atmosphere there is terrible and it's getting worse not better.

• Advertisement

lastlaugh wrote: »
    If you call that an attempt to pull over well then that's where we can't agree.
    The idiot moved about 3 inches only after ignoring the ban Guard and the hand signals he was given, and he only moved when the third Guard walked in front of the car towards his door.
    And even then he didn't open the door but says "I'm goin about my business, what's goin on here?"

From when the second Garda moved out of his way it took him less than 9 seconds to move. Hardly unreasonable. He began to move at 1:08. The Garda walked on front of the car at 1:09. How far would you expect him to get in under a second?
    hondasam wrote:
    You just will not give in will you, closed window, not a padded cell, If we could hear the gardai on the video, could he not hear them as well?
    Perhaps, but clearly the Gardaí weren't willing to converse through a closed window so I think it's reasonable to assume they asked him to open it before requesting his license, insurance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Moral of the story boys and girls . Know where your licence is and don't give guff to the powers be .. Or u get peppered ... If this was a planned trap then the guards fell right into it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

First off, the guy drive did set this up for a reaction, and he got it.

Right, the checkpoints there are set up for a reason, the protesters who are breaking the law (but we won't get into that conversation). The checkpoints are to make sure that there are no Shell to Sea protesters organising mass protests and may be bringing weapons, etc. Anyway, the checkpoints are certified by a Inspector/Super/Chief on a weekly basis, and that gives the Gardai the power to stop, request and search.

When the driver was initially stopped, we cannot hear what the female Garda was saying to him, so her first request could have been "Can i see your driving licence please", and he refused to co-operate. The female Garda could have said on her radio or in person to the other Guards there that he was refusing to co-operate. When they signal him to move it, he doesn't immediately and so the 3rd Garda (without the high-vis) decides (before yer man moved an inch) that this driver was being un co-operative and decided to deal with it where the car currently was. For all the Garda knew he could have had weapons in the back.

The driver can be heard saying "no" to being asked to open the window, and no to producing his licence initially. This leads the Garda to believe there is a reason he does not want to open the window/car and decides that the only course of action is to smash the window which he is legally entitled to do (how else can you get to the driver?). Also, one of the female Gardai did try the passenger door.

The male Garda may have let his emotions take over a small bit, but it does in those situations, adrenaline kicks in and does sometime cloud your judgement (same as players who fight at a match). Yes, he's supposed to be a professional but we are all human afterall.

Anyway, this won't be going any further. Once he produced his id he was let on his way. End of. Everything the Garda done was covered by law. Nothing illegal in what happened on the Garda side.

From when the second Garda moved out of his way it took him less than 9 seconds to move. Hardly unreasonable. He began to move at 1:08. The Garda walked on front of the car at 1:09. How far would you expect him to get in under a second?

I would expect him to pull in when he was asked and not block the road for others instead of acting the bollix.

If he had just pulled in to the left when he was asked and this would not have happened.

I would expect him to pull in when he was asked and not block the road for others instead of acting the bollix.

If he had just pulled in to the left when he was asked and this would not have happened.

It took him less than 9 seconds after he was asked to begin to pull in.

Immediately when he tried to pull in he was obstructed by the third Garda.

At no time do we hear him refuse to pull in and his attempt to pull in indicated he was willing to comply.

Him not managing to pull in is a non-issue.

It took him less than 9 seconds after he was asked to begin to pull in.

Immediately when he tried to pull in he was obstructed by the third Garda.

At no time do we hear him refuse to pull in and his attempt to pull in indicated he was willing to comply.

Him not managing to pull in is a non-issue.

'Not managing'?

Don't you mean refusing?

Perhaps, but clearly the Gardaí weren't willing to converse through a closed window so I think it's reasonable to assume they asked him to open it before requesting his license, insurance, etc.

I think the link I posted is clearer, I though he was the guard at the start the way he was shouting, did you think that?

'Not managing'?

Don't you mean refusing?

He did not refuse.

He may not have moved with the haste and glee you would have liked but he did not refuse.

Had he attempted to continue pulling in he would have hit the third Garda.

His actions indicate his intent.

His actions were pulling in thus his intent was to pull in.

Maybe these shell to sea guys would make more progress with their objectives if they stopped with this looking for a reaction rubbish. It turns the public against them.

• Advertisement

I think the link I posted is clearer, I though he was the guard at the start the way he was shouting, did you think that?

I figured he was shouting so the camera would pick him up clear or because he intentionally had the window closed so he was conscious of being heard through it.

Or because he's a dickhead.

Advertisement