Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

scriba wrote: »
    Double post.
    If you tried one of those runs north of the river at dusk you could be surprised what pmp u'd be capable of !! Sub 3 i,d reckon !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

tomred1N wrote: »
    If you tried one of those runs north of the river at dusk you could be surprised what pmp u'd be capable of !! Sub 3 i,d reckon !!!

Ha ha! Depends on where!

Right, better get up and do that 23km run, and take advantage of my day off.

Fri 29/3/2013

Week 9, Session 3 P&D MSR

24.15 km in 2:14:25 @ 5:44/km

Hard going, underwatered and overfed. Recovery on grass tomorrow. Cold didn't help.

Week (13) P&D wk 9 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 25th - 31st | 3 | 43.31 km | 272.93 km | 654.3 km

The clock ticks, the world spins, and I stand still! Got my 26k LSR with 19k PMP (at 4:57/km pace) done on Monday for week 9, but missed a recovery run over a busy weekend. Only starting this week today, so I better throw my gear on. I'll have get some done early this week if I want to get them all in.

Two for the price of one this week...

First of all, it was the end of March, so...

Month | 2012 Days | 2012 km| 2013 Days | 2013 km
    Jan | 0/31 | 0 | 11/31 | 122.63
    Feb | 8/29 | 54.89 | 19/28 | 258.74
    Mar | 13/31 | 126.29 | 18/31 | 272.93
    Apr | 10/30 | 112.53 | 0 | 0
    May | 9/31 | 117.27 | 0 | 0
    Jun | 0/30 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Jul | 2/31 | 13.02 | 0 | 0
    Aug | 2/31 | 12.02 | 0 | 0
    Sep | 8/30 | 61.03 | 0 | 0
    Oct | 16/31 | 117.04 | 0 | 0
    Nov | 21/30 | 209.12 | 0 | 0
    Dec | 7/31 | 81.67 | 0 | 0
    Totals | 96/366| 904.88 | 48/90 | 654.3

A number of missed runs this month, three in total, one for a race, and two for laziness/fatigue/weather/etc. Aim is for a perfect April, with minimal jigging about of the schedule. Still, by the end of April, I'll have beaten last year's running distance. And looking at the hard data above, the evidence shows that this is still very new to me, on the cusp of becoming a habit, but not exactly hardwired into me just yet. :)

And onto this week so far.

Mon 1/4/2013

Week 9, Session 5 P&D LSR w/ PMP

25.67 km in 2:13:51 @ 5:13/km , with 19km @ 4:57/km average.

As noted above, my running is a bit all over the place the last few weeks, starting weeks late, working late, and extra activities are all encroaching on my precious running time. Damn you, real life.

I was fairly knackered after this. This is the pace required for in and around a 3:30 marathon. I'm still in all likelihood going to target somewhere around 3:40, just so I get around in one piece, but I wanted to know if I could do the PMP for this session. And to be honest, I could. Easily.

It was only when I slowed down after that my body started to complain. I underestimated the effort put in when running into that wind down by the marina! My legs became heavier than lead, and I lost any desire to plod on. So it was psychological as much as anything else, though nutrition may also have played a part. Good to get it done though, I missed the last PMP session because I was running Ballycotton.

Wed 3/4/2013

Week 10, Session 1 P&D Gen aerobic

13.04 km in 1:14:59 @ 5:45/km.

Lovely day for a run here. There was a kind of lukewarm heat when running sheltered from the wind. Ran out from my front door to the observatory and back again for a handy 13 km. Had a head full of clutter heading out, which all fell out over the pounded roads. Running is handy that way. :)

Week (14) P&D wk 10 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 1st - 7th | 2 | 38.71 km | 38.71 km | 693.01 km

• Advertisement

Thurs 4/4/2013

Week 10, Session 2 P&D 13k w/ 5x800m at 5k pace.

12.43 km in 1:08:22

Splits: 3:12; 3:15; 3:15; 3:02; 3:10

Break was the 200m jog/walk to make up the km, first two were under a min, then walked out ~1:30 min breaks for the rest :)

I vowed somewhere on my log last year that there would be no more intervals target times above 4:00/km. I did these on feel as much as anything else, it was a bit of a shock, some head wind down the marina made it a little more difficult, but I got stronger as these went on (obviously I was begging for the last one to finish though!) I really enjoyed this though, trotted back home with a real sense of accomplishment and it was nice to do a different type of session. Nice sunny if cold evening too.

Looking forward to more of these sessions, in a perverse way. I worry about my breathing most of all when I run, and I find hard intervals really help that. 8k recovery tomorrow, as P&D rolls inexorably onwards.

Apr 1st - 7th | 3 | 51.14 km | 51.14 km | 705.44 km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Those are impressive splits. Your average split corresponds to a sub 20 5K pace (19:54). And your recovery times were shorter than PD prescribed. I ran my first split last night too fast posting a 3:08 struggled on my second because of the first but my 4th and 5th intervals felt ok. Don't have stats on hand.

Do you think these should be run at 5K pace as presribed, or would you (did you?) push a bit harder?

outforarun wrote: »
    Those are impressive splits. Your average split corresponds to a sub 20 5K pace (19:54). And your recovery times were shorter than PD prescribed. I ran my first split last night too fast posting a 3:08 struggled on my second because of the first but my 4th and 5th intervals felt ok. Don't have stats on hand.

Do you think these should be run at 5K pace as presribed, or would you (did you?) push a bit harder?

Cheers, I'm not sure it will correspond with a sub 20 5k, but that's the plan! There were a number of factors at play yesterday evening. I was annoyed at having missed sessions this month, so I was hungry for work. Looking at the plan way back when, I earmarked these sessions as a chance to work on my 5k pace. I have no official 5k time. I timed myself once on an early morning training run last April or so and hit about 23 mins. I didn't want to do that pace, because that's now my LT pace I use, or close to it. So I did employ a target pace, but partly because I didn't have a previous.

So yeah, I did set out to do these harder, but not so much that I'd crash and burn. I figured if I can do LT at 4:40/km, I could aim for 4:10/km 5k splits. And sure since I was close to 4/km, I might as well experiment and see what sort of nick I'm in. I'm going to stick with 4:00/km as a loose target for the splits, I'm not too concerned with bang-on consistently timed splits, as long as the effort is hard.

The early, short recovery times were accidental. I soon sorted that out. But I'd be a believer in short breaks anyway, I see these sessions as really shocking the lungs into work, so to stress them in training will bring better benefits on race day. My usual fear racing is that I'm too unfit, and any labour in my breathing usually feeds into that.

Fri 5/4/2013

Week 10, Session 3 P&D 8k at recovery pace

7.08 km in 41:55, avg 5:55/km, avg HR 140

Lovely evening to run in. Considering I'm doing 5 on the bounce, I wanted to make sure this stayed at recovery effort, so out came the trust HR monitor. My recovery pace seems to have come down by about 20 seconds, all good! :)

Weigh in this morning has me at 182lbs, that's 15lbs lost since Jan, and 3" off my belly. Cheers, P&D.

Apr 1st - 7th | 4 | 58.22 km | 58.22 km | 712.52 km

Sat 6/4/2013

Week 10, Session 4 P&D 13k gen aerobic

13.17 km in 1:14:36, avg 5:40/km, avg HR 139

Nice easy run, legs are a little tired, but overall no problem. Bits of sunshine made this a pleasant evening trot. Now to snack for the evening... :)

Apr 1st - 7th | 5 | 71.39 km | 71.39 km | 725.69 km

• Advertisement

Mon 8/4/2013

P&D 10:5 23km MSR

23.63 km in 2:15:01, avg 5:45/km.

I ducked this run yesterday due to the filthy weather. This afternoon presented a dry window so out I went. Easterly wind was hard going in places out the Marina. Must stop automatically running east! Although, I was sheltered for a fair bit of this run, and had the help of the wind as much as the 'running on the spot' variety of assistance. Legs felt tired all through this, but no effort in terms of heart and lungs. Gave my calves a good rolling afterwards.

Week (15) P&D wk 10/11 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 8th - 14th | 1 | 23.63 km | 95.02 km | 749.32 km

Wed 10/4/2013

P&D 11:1 11km recovery run

10.26 km in 59:46, avg 5:49/km.

Cool and drizzly this early evening in Cork, ran out to Blackrock and back in the Marina. Short a km or so, but it would have been only junk anyway. :) Good to get out though, even in this weather. :)

I'll try get up early and do my LT run tomorrow, but no guarantees.

Week (15) P&D wk 11 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 8th - 14th | 2 | 33.89 km | 105.28 km | 759.58 km

Thurs 11/4/2013

P&D 11:2 18km with 11km LT

17.01 km in 1:25:38, avg 5:02/km.

LT splits (avg 4:37/km)
    4:45; 4:40; 4:41; 4:41; 4:37; 4:38; 4:29; 4:35; 4:34; 4:33; 4:34.

Glad I didn't bother going out in the rain this morning, as some warmth and sunshine was the lazy man's reward! Legs were tired but I was confident I'd get these done (despite a load of Supervalu Jaffa cakes in my belly). Up and down the marina, I imagined I was training for a half next week and tried work out a prospective time from a 4:40/km LT run. That mental arithmetic helped pass the time. I was beginning to feel it for the last two, so I started counting to 100 a couple of times to take my mind off being nearly finished. Plus I find it regulates the breathing.

Another really good LT run for me. Starting to believe I'm in ok nick for this marathon, or rather that I will be! Even if Sunday's 20 miler is slow and excruciatingly painful, there's still seven weeks for its benefits to kick in. It's nice to think that the training you're doing now is what you'll be running on in three weeks. Peace of mind :p

Apr 8th - 14th | 3 | 50.9 km | 122.29 km | 776.59 km

Closing in on 1.609 x 500 km, that well known metric landmark.

Sat 13/4/2013

P&D 11:3 19km MSR

19.32 km in 1:45:03, avg 5:26/km.

All rather sloppy and unfocused really, did this too fast, left GPS in my pocket, so it was all a bit fartleky, ranging from bursts of LT pace to easy jogging. I was going to do my LSR tomorrow, but I'll do 8km recovery instead and do the 32+km on Monday afternoon when I'm off. No harm I suppose, Sunday is looking quite busy anyway as it is. Bluergh.

Bonus for managing to duck the rain though. :)

Apr 8th - 14th | 4 | 70.22 km | 141.61 km | 795.91 km

Sun 14/4/2013

P&D 11:4 recovery run

5.85 km in 34:12, avg 5:51/km.

Really stuck for time today, just managed to squeeze this short recovery run in. I postponed the 20 miles till tomorrow afternoon, and I'm glad I did. In the short space of time I was out, I was blown all over the place, and lashed with wind and rain. Still, legs feel better for it.

Apr 8th - 14th | 5 | 76.07 km | 147.46 km | 801.76 km

Mon 15/4/2013

P&D 11:5 32k LSR

33.64 km in 3:10:41, avg 5:41/km.

This went way better than I was thinking it would after about 2km. My legs were weary, and it took me ages to set into a rhythm. But I did, and it got me through. First 16km were out to Blackrock, round the mahon loop and back into town via the marina. Took a minute long break at 16km to get some water and a couple of supervalu jaffa cakes (because they were there) and off I went again. Weather deteriorated badly for the second half, went out Ballyphehane, Wilton, Bishopstown, out past the CIT, and onto the Model Farm Road, past the blind dogs place and back in the straight road. Plodded along, with two and a bit old episodes of Marathon talk in my ears.

I'll have to have a look at some sort of water and fuel strategy before the next one, just to have some standard for June.

Week (16) P&D wk 12 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 15th - 21st | 1 | 33.64 km | 181.1 km | 835.4 km

Thurs 18/4/2013

P&D 12:6 13k w/ 5 x 600m VO2

11.71 km in 3:10:41, avg 5:41/km.

600m split times: 2:20; 2:22; 2:28; 2:28; 2:30 (avg pace 4:02/km).

I've been putting running off all week. I've been feeling like crap, eating rubbish, sleeping badly, and working late. This was awful. My legs were still heavy after Monday's LSR, but I had to get this done. By the skin of my teeth I managed it. I felt terrible, stitch by the second warm-up km. I just about managed to hit the 600m splits (by that I mean get within a respectable range! :p) and had to take the full 90% recovery. I then plodded home at about 6:10/km pace. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but it was more the feeling that I knew I couldn't go faster even if I had to.

But enough moaning. This is what happens when I a) don't eat right, and b) have a negative attitude. No more chocolate biscuits! :D

Got a lot of running to fit into a short space of time over the next couple of weeks. I need to get a good night's sleep, and get up early for the next run, so I can do it nice and slow! :)

Week (16) P&D wk 12 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 15th - 21st | 2 | 45.35 km | 192.81 km | 847.11 km

So: how are the legs holding up? How's the confidence? Thinking about target time? I know what you mean about rubbish diet. Mine hasn't been the best over the last weeks. I've been using the high mileage (high for me) as an excuse to take my eye off what I'm eating. Called a halt to that today when I realised there's only 6 weeks left :eek:

So: how are the legs holding up? How's the confidence? Thinking about target time? I know what you mean about rubbish diet. Mine hasn't been the best over the last weeks. I've been using the high mileage (high for me) as an excuse to take my eye off what I'm eating. Called a halt to that today when I realised there's only 6 weeks left :eek:

They're pretty tired, or rather they were. I've only been out for one run of week 12, the VO2 session, so I've had plenty of rest (of the unwelcome variety). Just too much on this week, late nights of work making the early mornings too difficult to do. So I've an early start tomorrow to hit week 12's LSR, and that should get me on my way again.

Confidence is up and down. Confident ill make it around, and after last week's 21 miles, I'm confident I'd go sub 4, as that pace was ok for the LSR. One thing I saw on your log was your 10k time trial idea, which is genius. I'm going to try one the next time that session is recommended and predict a time based on it multiplied by 5. I'm still training at just under 8 min mile PMP for a sub 3:40 attempt, but I'll be in a better position to make a call towards the end of the training cycle. I've never raced a 10k before, but I'd probably squeeze out a 43-45 min time trial, based on recent LT runs. That would 'predict' a 3:35-3:45 marathon. I flirted with 3:30 at the start of training, but I'm just not there yet. So I'm looking at this as progression in training, with a great opportunity to go under 3:45. I'll use it then as a base to reduce my half time at least into the 90s, and work towards getting my 10k into the sub 40 bracket. I'll see about DCM, I'm submitting a PhD in October so time is already proving hard enough to come by. Having said that, I like the structure, and running has significant mental benefits! :)

My diet is healthy breakfast, healthy lunch, healthy dinner plus chocolate and biscuits. My partner is doing her med finals at the moment and fueling herself with chocolate. The temptation is overwhelming. I don't even like chocolate (much...)!

Just reading your blog there, you seem very much back on track! I think training for 3:30 is the right option, and leave it as an option right till the end. It'll really only effect your PMP race sessions anyway. Just watch your legs on the time trials.

Mon 22/4/2013

P&D 12:5 27k LSR

25.36 km in 2:27:46, avg 5:50/km.

Absolutely hellish. Beautiful afternoon, sun came up, legs felt absolutely knackered starting off, but I got going and settled into a 5:42/km avg pace for the first 20km, before the wheels really came off. Stopped to get a bottle of water, and could not get the legs going again. Stopped a couple of times, started to walk before I hardened up and started plodding again. Really felt the heat after a while (and it's not exactly Saharan out there). I hope Cork isn't like this. More worryingly, after missing 3 easy/recovery runs this week, I would have thought my legs would have been well rested, but clearly not. I'll put this one down to a lack of sleep all week, and the fact that my body always struggles on early afternoon runs. Onwards and ... erm... onwards some more.

No matter what, I'm glad I went out there. I was beginning to suffer the 'no-running blues', caused by that most insidious of conditions, non-running. At least this breaks the no-running 'streak'. :rolleyes:

Another busy week this week, culminating with my brother's wedding on Friday. Expecting at least one dropped run, although really hoping not to drop any. More HTFU, please.

Week (17) P&D wk 12/13 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 22nd - 28th | 1 | 25.36 km | 218.17 km | 872.47 km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Mon 22/4/2013

P&D 12:5 27k LSR

25.36 km in 2:27:46, avg 5:50/km.

Absolutely hellish. Beautiful afternoon, sun came up, legs felt absolutely knackered starting off, but I got going and settled into a 5:42/km avg pace for the first 20km, before the wheels really came off. Stopped to get a bottle of water, and could not get the legs going again. Stopped a couple of times, started to walk before I hardened up and started plodding again. Really felt the heat after a while (and it's not exactly Saharan out there). I hope Cork isn't like this. More worryingly, after missing 3 easy/recovery runs this week, I would have thought my legs would have been well rested, but clearly not. I'll put this one down to a lack of sleep all week, and the fact that my body always struggles on early afternoon runs. Onwards and ... erm... onwards some more.

No matter what, I'm glad I went out there. I was beginning to suffer the 'no-running blues', caused by that most insidious of conditions, non-running. At least this breaks the no-running 'streak'. :rolleyes:

Another busy week this week, culminating with my brother's wedding on Friday. Expecting at least one dropped run, although really hoping not to drop any. More HTFU, please.

Week (17) P&D wk 12/13 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 22nd - 28th | 1 | 25.36 km | 218.17 km | 872.47 km
    Don’t underestimate the culture shock of running in the heat again. I know it’s not really hot out there, but when you’ve been running in the dark/cold/wind/rain/snow/hail/more wind/more cold for 6 months, it can take a bit of acclimatisation to get used to running in the fine weather again.

I had the Wexford HM yday and once the sun came out, I really struggled with it. I don’t think I’ve done a single run all year without my jacket on and it just was a total shock to the system to have overheating to contend with. I am going to make an effort to get out and do a few runs in the sun before Cork (says she optimistically assuming we’ll have more warm days after today!) I don’t want to get caught out if it’s warm on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Don’t underestimate the culture shock of running in the heat again. I know it’s not really hot out there, but when you’ve been running in the dark/cold/wind/rain/snow/hail/more wind/more cold for 6 months, it can take a bit of acclimatisation to get used to running in the fine weather again.

I had the Wexford HM yday and once the sun came out, I really struggled with it. I don’t think I’ve done a single run all year without my jacket on and it just was a total shock to the system to have overheating to contend with. I am going to make an effort to get out and do a few runs in the sun before Cork (says she optimistically assuming we’ll have more warm days after today!) I don’t want to get caught out if it’s warm on the big day.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    I know, I know, I felt guilty even typing it as I knew you'd be reading, but it's true! It was 16 degrees when we got back to the car yesterday! As you know, I am like a cold/rain/wind magnet, the minute I put on my runners it starts to pee rain, so it was a bit of a shock to the system :o

Yeah, I'm only designed for running in the cold. I only wear a jacket if it's raining and I've been running in t shirt's since the end of January. I think I need to figure out a sunshine marathon pace in the event it's like this at the start of June (probably won't be though! :p)

ncmc wrote: »
    it just was a total shock to the system to have overheating to contend with. I am going to make an effort to get out and do a few runs in the sun before Cork (says she optimistically assuming we’ll have more warm days after today!) I don’t want to get caught out if it’s warm on the big day.

You're spot on, and I think that's a great idea (if albeit a horrific prospect). Running in the sun wouldn't be among my favourite things now. I can taste the salt crystals forming as I type!

Hard luck on Wexford too, btw. You got plenty of good advice on your own thread, but it's annoying for you that you've had a couple of races in this training cycle which have left you less than satisfied. Remember that Cork is the A goal, you're still training well. This weeks PMP run is much more important than Wexford half, tbh. So gameface back on, ncmc!

I’d be half tempted on my next marathon cycle to identify in advance the peak week of training and take three days off work to complete it without worrying about late nights and early mornings. Even missing a day and playing catch up in P&D is tricky. I’ve ended up running lots of 4 and 5 day blocks, makes weary legs wearier.

I think if you can stay injury free and complete the remaining sessions and providing Cork isn’t a scorcher you’ll dip under 3:45 for sure and will toy with 3:40. Curious now to see how you get on with your own 10K time trial in two weeks. I think/hope all the extra miles in P&D are starting to bear fruit.

Wed 1/5/2013

12.85 km in 1:12:55, avg 5:41/km.

Ok, 8 days off without running. Too much real world stuff to handle, which all went really well in the end, but at a cost to running. Body decided to implode from stress afterwards, leaving me with a cold for a few days. So I've missed 5 sessions, all of week 13 of P&D. But I'm not bothered. The break has done me the world of good, and there's still 5 weeks of running left. I'm going to jiggle things around this week, and do the PMP I missed last week this week. Other than that, it's mostly about getting a full week of km in, and kicking on for the marathon.

Just a general aerobic today, will do the intervals over the next couple of days. My chest is still a bit off, so I don't fancy 5k pace with it like that.

Week (18) P&D wk 14 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 29th - May 5th | 1 | 12.85 km | 12.85 km | 885.32 km

I’d be half tempted on my next marathon cycle to identify in advance the peak week of training and take three days off work to complete it without worrying about late nights and early mornings. Even missing a day and playing catch up in P&D is tricky. I’ve ended up running lots of 4 and 5 day blocks, makes weary legs wearier.

I think if you can stay injury free and complete the remaining sessions and providing Cork isn’t a scorcher you’ll dip under 3:45 for sure and will toy with 3:40. Curious now to see how you get on with your own 10K time trial in two weeks. I think/hope all the extra miles in P&D are starting to bear fruit.

Jinx! :)

No time trial this week, saving myself for some PMP in the LSR. Been a disaster of a week running-wise, but no point in dwelling on that now. Looking forward to testing my condition three weeks out and we'll see then how I'm fixed.

Like you, I got caught constantly a day behind, and it definitely took its toll. It's really important to stay on top of it. I've learned a load from this training period, more so from what I've struggled with.

Jinx! :)

:o

• Advertisement

Sat 4/5/2013

18.00 km or so in 1:45:00 or so.

Nice easy run. Lower calf on the rhs felt tight this morning. It was the left side yesterday. Lots of painful rolling sorting it out. My tracking device went a bit crazy, or else I've now running sub one minute kms. Thankfully it was a familiar route, so I know the rough distance, hence the even numbers. Rounded down and up to the nearest km and min.

While out there, I spent a bit of time thinking about 4 weeks time. Can't believe I'm so calm about it. Going to do another 15-18k tomorrow, and a long MP run on Monday, calf muscles allowing. More nice weather, please! I need the exposure. :)

Week (18) P&D wk 14 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 29th - May 5th | 2 | 30.85 km | 30.85 km | 903.32 km

Advertisement