Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Mon 29th 7.44 km in 50:07 @ 6:44/km

Recovery pace slow run with a friend who's getting back into running. I'll be doing a few runs with her a week, so they'll be necessarily slower than what I normally do. No harm there really. Doing another 7-8km easy/recovery today, and then Wednesday is my LT session (probably 5:10-5:15/km pace for 6km at the moment - not going to be pretty!)

Month | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    July | 5 | 38.31 km | 38.31 km | 1030.29 km

Wed 31st 8.06 km in 43:39, with 5k @ LT-ish (sub 5:10/km)

As expected, this wasn't pretty, but I managed 5k continuous at under target pace, after a 2km warmup. I could possibly have pushed on for the sixth, but I was feeling it, and LT shouldn't have me run to the point of collapse. That and I had had enough of running 'quick' for one day! To be honest, the point of this session was to shock me into running faster for a longer period, next week, I'll repeat the session, aiming for around 5:00/km splits, but go for 6.5 (or 7km if possible). Feeling great after this though, my first 'session' in months. Keeps ya honest! :)

I'm selecting my target paces based on my progression earlier in the year when starting P&D/55. My programme till September 8th (Blarney HM) will loosely follow the first 6 weeks of that, albeit with more easy running. Blarney will be a good gauge of where I'm at.

Splits/km were: 5:04; 5:01; 5:00; 5:07; 5:06.

Plenty of work to do to get into shape for the Blarney half, but I'm thinking that will work itself as a mammoth session for Cork-Cobh in early October. My thinking at the moment is that I'm going to have to chop serious time off my half PB (admittedly a soft 1:48:xx set at Clon last December) if I want to be in any sort of marathon-shape in 2014. So this means plenty of hard work, plenty of long miles, and plenty of races. The goal is to get comfortably into the 1:3X bracket in a winter HM, most likely the Waterford Half at the start of December.

Plan for the rest of the week is a couple of easy/recovery pace 6-8km runs, and maybe 16km at the weekend.

July | 6 | 46.37 km | 46.37 km | 1038.35 km

Mid August update.

I've been busy with a few deadlines of late, as I try to finish up my PhD, but I've managed to find time here and there to go for a few runs, though nothing like I want just yet. What has been cool, though, is that my partner has managed to join me for three of the last four. 4.8k is about the edge of her range so far, but it's nice to have the company. :)

Runs:
    6/8 7.73km in 52:26 v. easy
    8/8 5.01km in 35 mins or so, v. easy
    10/8 2.95km in the local woods (just to get outdoors)
    14/8 5.01km in 35 mins or so, v. easy
    15/8 16.14km in 1:40:02, easy LSR pace.

This morning's LSR was nice, in light drizzle, as I ran from Rochestown to Monkstown, and then back through the back roads. There was a steady climb from 10-13km which was tough, but I'll be all the better for it. I need to get back into the longer runs, so this was invaluable.

Not exactly lashing into things as yet, so I'm readjusting my targets slightly: Blarney is coming up too quickly for me, so I'll hold off on that. The target is to hit the Cork-Cobh at the start of October at something like 4:40/km (my ten mile pace at the start of the year) - 4:50/km pace, as a gauge for the Waterford half at the start of December. The plan for Waterford is to be in the best possible running shape for running as hard as I can.

Immediate target for the rest of the month though is to get running 4-5 times a week, with a minimum total of 15 sessions for the month of August. And to try keep up with the log. :)

Aug | 5 | 21.15 km | 36.9 km | 1075.25 km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Welcome back Sciba! I think I am going to do Cork - Cobh as well, it's either that or Charleville and to be honest, I don't fancy paying the €35 entrance fee for Charleville. C2C is only €10 for BHAA members! I know it's not chip timed, but for a saving of €25, I can overlook that.

Have you ruled out running the full in Clonakilty then? That still is my goal race at the moment, but holding off on entering until I have a few more solid weeks behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

scriba wrote: »
    Immediate target for the rest of the month though is to get running 4-5 times a week, with a minimum total of 15 sessions for the month of August. And to try keep up with the log. :)

Nice to read you back. Looking forward to seeing you log the miles back on here.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Welcome back Sciba! I think I am going to do Cork - Cobh as well, it's either that or Charleville and to be honest, I don't fancy paying the €35 entrance fee for Charleville. C2C is only €10 for BHAA members! I know it's not chip timed, but for a saving of €25, I can overlook that.

Have you ruled out running the full in Clonakilty then? That still is my goal race at the moment, but holding off on entering until I have a few more solid weeks behind me.

Thanks ncmc! And as they say in the card game, snap! I don't fancy paying the Charleville fee, especially when I'm slowly coming out of a period of running-sloth. Cork Cobh is a bargain, and more importantly, still over seven weeks away.

I have ruled out the full in Clon, indeed all fulls for 2013. I've decided I'm not going to marathon train until I've a HM time of in and around 95 mins, which is my target condition for Waterford in December. If I'm set then, I'll jump into a marathon-specific programme for March or April.

I saw from your log that you were entering Clon. I did the half there last year, and the race was good, if a little tough in spots, but the org was shambolic. Hopefully it's better this year. Beautiful place to run though. I hear you on the solid weeks, it's taken ages to get back on my horse! I'm not mentally or physically ready to commit to the marathon yet. :)

outforarun wrote: »
    Nice to read you back. Looking forward to seeing you log the miles back on here.

Thanks outforarun, I'm looking forward to getting some numbers back up again. Keep checking in, but bring a beating stick next time, if I'm still not putting in any real work in. :)

Sat 16/8/2013

4.48km easy

This was in a tiny patch of woodland around the corner from where I'm currently living. My partner loves the woods, so for her run, we went up there, we climbed for the first half before turning around and running down. The path ended after about a km, so there was plenty of trail-style running on this too. Very pleasant, I might do some work on my own up here next week too.

That's three days running straight. I'm clearly on some kind of hot streak! I'm heading away tomorrow morning till Sunday afternoon, but I might try get up early to keep it going. Beginning to appreciate the short runs a little more. :)

Aug | 6 | 25.63 km | 41.38 km | 1079.73 km

Sat 17/8/2013

11km recovery/easy 1:09:58 @ 6:22 /km

Out in the drizzle, early morning, fourth day running straight. My body felt a bit creaky, my right knee especially stiff and feeling lubricated by gravel, but I loosened up after about 5k, coincidentally when my mind stopped going 'turn around, you can still hop back into bed and we'll forget this ever happened'.

It's hard to view this pace as anything but dreadfully slow. But experience tells me it's an endurance thing as much as anything, so slow slogging it is. I'll be doing an easy 5k tomorrow evening to finish the week.

Drizzle, rain, wet jacket, wet running top, wet nipple-protecting tape, two red comet stains on my white running top.

I'm afraid to go into the shower.

Aug | 7 | 36.63 km | 52.38 km | 1090.73 km

Sun 18/8/2013

5.53km in 40:10 @ tectonic plate pace

Simple slow night run with my girlfriend. Loving the company. Dodged rain! 5 running days in a row! :)

Aug | 8 | 42.16km | 57.91 km | 1096.26 km

• Advertisement

Mon 19/8/2013

5.58km in 40ish @ partner pace :)

Same deal as last night, slow jogging, time on my feet, etc etc.

Aug | 9 | 5.58 km | 63.49 km | 1101.84 km

Tue 20/8/2013

8.01 km in 41:50; 5k LT pace 4:50/km, split into 3k and 2k, with 0.5km jog in between.

Set out at 10pm after a big dinner, so not ideal prep. But pleased enough. I needed to run at a quicker pace to remind myself of the sheer scale of what I want to achieve in December, in contrast to where I'm at now. I've a lot of work to do, but for all the grunting and stomach jumping, this felt good. Lungs were able, but my legs aren't back yet. I have missed running at this pace. I'll do 6.5km next week at the same pace, and drop the break. Finished with a short warm down in order to get home quicker.

This is my seventh day running in a row. The plan is to keep the streak going as long as possible. I'll continue to do very slow short runs on rest days (5-6km), one tempo/LT run, one long run, and one easy medium gen aerobic run. I wouldn't have thought it, but no fatigue at all. Long may it last. :)

Aug | 10 | 13.59 km | 71.50 km | 1109.85 km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Thanks outforarun, I'm looking forward to getting some numbers back up again. Keep checking in, but bring a beating stick next time, if I'm still not putting in any real work in. :)

No worries. I find posting my planned runs for the week up front is a really good way of ensuring I stay honest. Good luck with the streak.

outforarun wrote: »
    No worries. I find posting my planned runs for the week up front is a really good way of ensuring I stay honest. Good luck with the streak.

Cheers, and a good suggestion. When I make a definitive plan, I'll do that, I think. The plan is simple up to Cork-Cobh: run every day, run one LSR and one tempo a week, run easy runs easy and hard runs hard, and build up the mileage. After Cork-Cobh, then I'll look at implementing something for the 7 weeks till Waterford HM.

Wed 21/8/2013

5.01 km in 37ish with partner

Easy peasy slow night run.

Aug | 11 | 18.6 km | 76.51 km | 1114.86 km

Thurs 22/8/2013

10.01 km in 58:15 (5:51/km avg pace)

Set out to do this around 5:55/km pace, it wasn't tough, but it's not quite my easy pace either, at least not yet. Enjoyable enough, and just the right length of time on my feet. Really enjoying my running at the minute. Even my nipples are healing up! :p

Downside, I got eaten by a few persistent midges down by the water. Bastards, like wasps, or 'nature's dickhead'.

Out again tomorrow and early Saturday for two recovery pace jogs, and then 19km LSR for Sunday.

Aug | 12 | 28.61 km | 86.52 km | 1124.87 km

Reg for Cork-Cobh is now open according to the Cork running blog, €10 pre-entry. Time to download the form and give my running some goal-orientated race structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Reg for Cork-Cobh is now open according to the Cork running blog, €10 pre-entry. Time to download the form and give my running some goal-orientated race structure.
    Must do the same myself, I know what you mean about lacking short term goals, it's all too easy to get lazy!

ncmc wrote: »
    Must do the same myself, I know what you mean about lacking short term goals, it's all too easy to get lazy!

All too easy. Even though I'm back running, my mind will only really get into the harder stuff when the money has been sent in! At least I'm in better nick than last year, when I took a break from June to September. :o

Fri 23/8/2013

5.16 km in 31:52 (6:11/km avg pace), finishing on 1 80 sec hill rep

Nice short easy run. Still enjoying it, no complaints from legs. That's 10 in a row, but need to get up around 6 to do tomorrow's run ... after some booze ...

Aug | 13 | 33.77 km | 91.68 km | 1130.03 km

• Advertisement

Sun 25/8/2013

5.1 km in 38:00 (partner pace)

Never made it out on Saturday morning, not enough time on a hectic weekend (emigrating inlaws). So no long run today, just a short evening run with my girlfriend. I'll try do 19km tomorrow instead. Old streak ends, and a new one begins. :)

Aug | 14 | 38.87 km | 96.78 km | 1135.13 km

Mon 26/8/2013

18.59 km in 1:59:28 avg HR 140; avg pace 6:26/km.

Several different ways of looking at this run, the easiest of which would be to consider a different sport! A re-read of Hadd yesterday got me thinking again about building a proper aerobic base, by running at specific heart rates. I was concerned that I was working harder than I should be for some runs and not getting the best training benefits as a result. So I set out to run 19km at HR 135, then 140 and finally 145 in three roughly equal portions. I was comfortable for the first 16km, but the last 2.5 i really slowed up to keep the HR under 145. That's clearly my range at the moment, so it was good to find that out.

Really good exercise in discipline, and a real eye opener in terms of where I am. I'll stick with the HR for a while and hopefully I'll see some progress soon with my easy run times to consistent avg HRs (I'm going to use the P&D ranges for my runs).

Lots of easy running by hr this week, with a harder session on Wednesday or possibly Thursday. I need to pick a new route too, or a new running time. My legs are swollen hard from insect bites. Wandering around now, plastered in Savlon. Stupid nature.

Aug | 15 | 18.59 km | 115.37 km | 1153.72 km

Wed 28/8/2013

6.6 km in 43:46 avg HR 137; avg pace 6:39/km.

Easy run, late in the evening, full of stir fry. I spent most of it thinking about how I can raise some funds for some desperately needed running shoes, as I nurse two pairs of Asics GT2170s towards the 1000 kilometre mark.

More stats for the HR monitor, hopefully I'll start speeding up sooner rather than later.

Aug | 16 | 25.19 km | 121.97 km | 1160.32 km

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wed 28/8/2013

6.6 km in 43:46 avg HR 137; avg pace 6:39/km.

Easy run, late in the evening, full of stir fry. I spent most of it thinking about how I can raise some funds for some desperately needed running shoes, as I nurse two pairs of Asics GT2170s towards the 1000 kilometre mark.

More stats for the HR monitor, hopefully I'll start speeding up sooner rather than later.

Aug | 16 | 25.19 km | 121.97 km | 1160.32 km

Afaik they now have them in Kildare village for around the €80 mark...

Gavlor wrote: »
    Afaik they now have them in Kildare village for around the €80 mark...

Good man, sounds like a pilgrimage to the village is in order. Cheers!

Sat 31/8/2013

5.06 km avg HR 137 easy woods run, total climb of 130m.

Easy running, with my partner. Midges are eating my legs alive, but still enjoyable. That wraps up August, not exactly ground-breaking, but it will lead into some higher kilometre-age next month. Now to throw on my gear and get that LSR in before it gets dark.

Aug | 17 | 30.25 km | 127.03 km | 1165.38 km

Sun 1/9/2013

20.5 km, in 2:13:00, at 6:29/km; avg HR 144 LSR run.

More endurance building work, and my longest run since CCM. Last 3km again pushed the HR up as I tired, but all in all, this felt easier than my last LSR 6 days ago. This was also comfortably within the P&D prescribed parameters for my LSR, which I'm pleased about. I'm hoping that some of this discipline will result in some good aerobic base coming up to Xmas. Really need to pick up those runners this week,as I'm beginning to feel the effects towards the end of the longer plods.

Sep | 1 | 50.75 km | 20.5 km | 1185.88 km

Mon 2/9/2013

5.01 km, in 39:27, at 7:54/km; avg HR 121 rec run.

Nice slow jog by the water at my partner's pace. Legs felt a little stiff after yesterday's long run, but loosened up quickly. Gorgeous evening down in Cork, running route was very busy. Going to get some new running shoes on Saturday, I can definitely feel the increased stress on my legs with my old pairs of runners.

Sep | 2 | 5.01 km | 25.51 km | 1190.89 km

Tue 3/9/2013

6.78 km, in 41:55, at 6:11/km; avg HR 145; easy run.

This was much better, felt very easy, controlled, and my legs were moving well. I think I'll try keep my easy runs around this HR for a while and monitor progress that way. Lovely evening for a run in Cork, so nice in fact, even a filthy big rat decided to join the run for a couple of meters, to the horror of all the gathered locals. I think he infected my stomach with a dirty look, my innards have gone all wrong since. :eek:

Hopefully I'll recover for tomorrow, really enjoying my running at the moment, and I don't want to stop. Was sorely tempted to throw on another 4-5km this evening, but must stay disciplined. :)

Sep | 3 | 11.79 km | 32.29 km | 1197.67 km

• Advertisement

Thurs 5/9/2013

11 km, in 1:03:13, at 5:45/km; w/ 7km @ 5:13/km avg pace; 157 avg HR .

The plan here was to do 2 slow km warm up, then try hit 7km at 156 HR (LT effort). I clocked my pace, but it was purely for reference, and to educate myself as to where I'm currently at. Went down to the walkway to Passage to do this, lovely bright evening, with a little bit of breeze on the way back.

My LT splits were (/km):

4:58, 5:06, 5:16, 5:14, 5:14, 5:14, 5:19, 5:20.

The first one was ridiculously easy, but my HR soon started to slide up so I had to slow down a little, then settled into a rhythm. The last two were a little tougher, my HR went up slightly, as I decided I wanted to try keep things even. All in all though, I'm pleased. I kept the effort consistent (between 154 and 159, with a long period between 155 and 156). Somewhat strangely, I've taken some confidence from this run, I think mainly because I feel like I'm on track, and in control of my progression from here on in. 157 is towards the lower end of my LT range according to P&D's percentages, while it's a couple of bpm over where I should be running LT at according to Hadd (although technically, he wouldn't have me doing LT for a couple of years :).)

While I'm trying to ignore pace, I was a little pleased that that HR didn't have me running 5:50/km splits. As for the splits themselves, I've no idea where the first one came from, as I didn't hare off and send the HR over the target, it took about half a km to get up to 155, but I did feel good running it.

The plan is to repeat this session next week, maybe knocking a couple of bpm off the target, maybe not, and stretching the distance out by 1-1.5km. I'm having it double as my HM session. :)

Tomorrow is another easy/recovery run, I'll try keep the HR at 135 for it. Saturday is a run with my partner, so no exertion there either, just more easy km. Then Sunday, an LSR of maybe 22-23km, to keep building that endurance. And all of these are going to be nice and slooooooooow...

Sep | 4 | 22.79 km | 43.29 km | 1208.67 km

Advertisement