Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just noticed on the CCM thread that your gold/silver/bronze times are pretty similar to mine. What's your strategy, are you going to go out with the 3:45 pacers and push on or just stay ahead of them and do your own thing? I was hoping to go with option B as I think I'd have too much time to catch up with option A, but I'm worried I'd head out too fast and have a blow up. Seeing what a tough time everyone had in limerick has left me pretty nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

ncmc wrote: »
    Just noticed on the CCM thread that your gold/silver/bronze times are pretty similar to mine. What's your strategy, are you going to go out with the 3:45 pacers and push on or just stay ahead of them and do your own thing? I was hoping to go with option B as I think I'd have too much time to catch up with option A, but I'm worried I'd head out too fast and have a blow up. Seeing what a tough time everyone had in limerick has left me pretty nervous.

Heya. I haven't seen the reports from Limerick yet, I think now I'll give them a skip. :eek:

My plan was to go run my own race originally, but I'm think 3:45 pacers now. I've been busy, sick and injured for most of the last two weeks, so only 2 of 10 possible sessions run. I'm looking for a full week this week, get my third 20 miler out of the way, and then to taper well. With my calves the way they are at the moment, I'm looking to get to the start line in one piece, and I should have enough done to hit 3:45, at least keep that pace for 20 miles. I'd love to say that I'll kick on at that point if I've anything left, but a) I won't be motivated to go quicker to shave all of a minute or two off, esp. since I have no marathon time to beat in the first place, and b) I won't have anything left :P

I don't want to blow up, but I don't want to go too slow either, which I'll find extremely difficult psychologically if I do. So 3:45 is looking like the start option at the moment. Plus no shortage of people to hang on to when the going gets a little tougher. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I might be joining yis! Is there a 3:45 pacer? I didn't think so, not sure why.

Steroo wrote: »
    I might be joining yis! Is there a 3:45 pacer? I didn't think so, not sure why.

Now that you mention it, that rings a bell. We'll have to draw straws!

Crap, is there no 3:45 pacer? That's a major pain. The more I read from Limerick, the more I think sticking to 3:45 is a good idea. Better to push on and finish strong than blow up and hobble home. We have to break the P&D curse in Cork!

• Advertisement

Crap, is there no 3:45 pacer? That's a major pain. The more I read from Limerick, the more I think sticking to 3:45 is a good idea. Better to push on and finish strong than blow up and hobble home. We have to break the P&D curse in Cork!

The pressure! We need to rope in a pacer. Perhaps a suitable reward to entice one, like... a ham?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

There were 3:45 pacers last year
    2012 pacers Cork

So don't loose faith just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pretty sure there will be 3:45 pacers...

It'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

this 3.45 spot is starting to look like some form of sanctuary for faster runners...will there be room for everyone on the lifeboat ;)

• Advertisement

Brief update:

House move complete, and calf muscles are behaving themselves again, after lots of rest and a few short runs, two weeks to race day and I've missed a fair whack of training. I did a quickish 11km last night to roughly gauge where I'm at, and I'm going to run 26km or so this evening to see how my endurance is. I've obviously lost some fitness, and I'll reset my time goal accordingly. The next two weeks are about hitting my sessions and making the start line in one piece! I'm disappointed that I haven't been able to follow the programme through to the end as I would have liked, but I am where I am, and I'll cut my cloth accordingly. I've learned loads following PhD, and perhaps moreso by going into it half cocked (i.e. by not having a suitable base, which really told two-thirds into the programme). Looking forward to my first marathon, and apply what I've learned to my second. Roll on Monday week! :)

11/5: 16.83km in 1:32:47
    19/5: 11.02km in 54:01

Right, up you get, Lazarus-log.

Taper week, I did 13 miles at 9 min mile pace on Sunday night, which felt surprisingly good, considering all the training I have missed. I'm considering going out at this pace and trying to up it a tiny bit for the last 6 miles to home. All I can do at this stage, would love to get in under 4. Calf muscles were getting a little tight by the end of it, but nothing really worrying.

This morning (Tue) then, I got out for a 4 mile recovery run by the water. Nice and slow, felt like loads of hard work. All a good omen, all my running is usually rubbish the week before a race *clutches at all available straws*

Marathon is naturally on my mind a lot this week. Trying to banish thoughts of failing to do the distance. More (any!!!) training over the last four weeks would definitely have my mind more at ease, but that's life. I'm still fit enough to get round, hopefully, and I'm not injured, so I'll try balance a smart approach with a revised goal, and see how I get on. I think endurance will be my biggest issue, so lets hope some of the early running weeks are still in my legs.

On Monday, if anyone sees a hairy red man, on his hands and knees (in full Foster position) crawling to the finish line, don't encourage him. He's probably dying! :eek:

scriba wrote: »
    Right, up you get, Lazarus-log.

Taper week, I did 13 miles at 9 min mile pace on Sunday night, which felt surprisingly good, considering all the training I have missed. I'm considering going out at this pace and trying to up it a tiny bit for the last 6 miles to home. All I can do at this stage, would love to get in under 4. Calf muscles were getting a little tight by the end of it, but nothing really worrying.

This morning (Tue) then, I got out for a 4 mile recovery run by the water. Nice and slow, felt like loads of hard work. All a good omen, all my running is usually rubbish the week before a race *clutches at all available straws*

Marathon is naturally on my mind a lot this week. Trying to banish thoughts of failing to do the distance. More (any!!!) training over the last four weeks would definitely have my mind more at ease, but that's life. I'm still fit enough to get round, hopefully, and I'm not injured, so I'll try balance a smart approach with a revised goal, and see how I get on. I think endurance will be my biggest issue, so lets hope some of the early running weeks are still in my legs.

On Monday, if anyone sees a hairy red man, on his hands and knees (in full Foster position) crawling to the finish line, don't encourage him. He's probably dying! :eek:

LOL, nice mental image! Best of luck on Monday Scriba, i'm sure you're nervous having missed a few runs, but it seems like you have enough hard work done to get you round. The enforced rest may even have helped!

More importantly, are you coming for a drink in The Woodford afterwards?

LOL, nice mental image! Best of luck on Monday Scriba, i'm sure you're nervous having missed a few runs, but it seems like you have enough hard work done to get you round. The enforced rest may even have helped!

More importantly, are you coming for a drink in The Woodford afterwards?

Thanks ncmc! I'm considering it, we might be heading to a bbq that afternoon, so it depends on when that kicks off. There'll be a seat and footstool with my name on it there. But I'd love to pop in and meet a few heads, if I'm able. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best wishes for Monday mate.

Best wishes for Monday mate.

Sound PM, delighted to see things going well too on your own log. Don't get too attached to the wheels though, there's unfinished business on the roads yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sound PM, delighted to see things going well too on your own log. Don't get too attached to the wheels though, there's unfinished business on the roads yet. :)

Cheers :) plenty of unfinished business !

Wheels are purely a means to an end !

Am not allowed run 2 days back to back until I get a bit (lot??? :D) more weight off. Reckon in hindsight upping the mileage too soon and carrying too much weight is what caused the injury last year. Cycling every second day is just burning extra calories off and of course getting the lungs used to working harder :) it's been tougher than I thought to get back into it tbh but it's starting to gel now.

Reckon in hindsight upping the mileage too soon and carrying too much weight is what caused the injury last year.

I hear you on that. Doing P&D this year was an eye-opener for me, in hindsight it was a bit more than I could handle. I'll manage it better next time (albeit I may tweak it a little). The one thing I learned is that you don't know you're doing, or that you have done, too much until well after you've done it.
    Cycling every second day is just burning extra calories off and of course getting the lungs used to working harder :) it's been tougher than I thought to get back into it tbh but it's starting to gel now.

Great to hear. I think once you get the lungs used to hard breathing, everything clicks into place. Its the lungs that always convince me that I'm tired, when I'm starting back for the umpteenth time. Once they're behaving, everything's a lot smoother. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good luck give it socks

Steroo wrote: »
    Good luck give it socks

I will, thanks Steroo! Leaving it all out there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm rooting for you scriba! BEST OF LUCK!

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'm rooting for you scriba! BEST OF LUCK!

Thanks Ososlo! I hope running with pacers will take a lot of the psychological stress out of it, allowing me to plod along on auto-pilot to the finish. :)

I hope you're own running is going well, are you targeting DCM 2013?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks Ososlo! I hope running with pacers will take a lot of the psychological stress out of it, allowing me to plod along on auto-pilot to the finish. :)

I hope you're own running is going well, are you targeting DCM 2013?

Great to have the pacers. Save you having to check the watch every 2 seconds! Autopilot all the way;)
    Yes DCM for me this year all going well. Very excited about it and loving the training.
    Really hope you get what you want on Monday and enjoy the day. You'll do great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck Scriba, hop on that sub 4 bus and jump off just before the finish and run in front of it to the line:D Enjoy!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck Scriba, hop on that sub 4 bus and jump off just before the finish and run in front of it to the line:D Enjoy!!!

Thanks Younganne! When you put it like that, I might do a second loop and see if they'll clock me for an ultra time. Pure easy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Younganne! When you put it like that, I might do a second loop and see if they'll clock me for an ultra time. Pure easy. :D

Methinks you just found your next target!!;)

Younganne wrote: »
    Methinks you just found your next target!!;)

Not this year! :D

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yes DCM for me this year all going well. Very excited about it and loving the training.

Great to hear! Last I noticed, you were being marvellously sensible and building a great base. You'll be in great nick come October. Having attempted P&D 55 off an inconsistent base, I've really learned the merits of what I missed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

If you see a fella hanging around the 4 hour pacers looking nervous give him a shout ;)
    He'll have a number 4 on him.

Best of luck tomorrow Scriba!

• Advertisement

Beef wrote: »
    If you see a fella hanging around the 4 hour pacers looking nervous give him a shout ;)
    He'll have a number 4 on him.

Best of luck tomorrow Scriba!

Likewise! I'll keep a look out, I'm number 79 myself. I'll be the lad tethering himself to those pacers.

Advertisement