Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Sat 9/3/2013

Week 6, Session 4 P&D 6.5k recovery

7.25 km in 43:12 @ 5:57/km

Was being rather lazy, lying in bed prior to this. Thought about bring the HRM but I couldn't be bothered putting it on and getting it set up, and carrying it etc etc etc. Did a nice relaxed loop around the area, included a couple of short hills into the mix, and back for my porridge. Easy running on another dull drizzly day. Finally shaking off the cobwebs that have rested idly over my running motivation and mood this week. I'll get a boost from completing the full week, and hopefully be in good nick to tackle Tuesday's LT session. :)

Week (10) P&D wk 6 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 4th - 10th | 4 | 42.47 km | 61.65 km | 443.02 km

Now to get some work in before the egg chasing kicks off at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

How are you finding P&D Scriba? It seems like a mental amount of miles to me! :)

Beef wrote: »
    How are you finding P&D Scriba? It seems like a mental amount of miles to me! :)

Physically, it's not so bad. I tend to switch off when I run, and racing recently gave me a boost. But mentally it's a bit more taxing, trying to figure out where I can fit one in each day. The mid-week runs are time consuming too. I'm hoping I can get out a bit more in the early mornings now that they're getting a bit brighter, along with the clocks changing too.

But for all that, it's the best thing I've ever done for my running (not that I'm running long - just a year). I feel tired yet strong at the same time, if that makes sense? And the running speeds are mixed up so that there's something a bit different about each run, except this week, which is a step back week. I 'enjoy' doing the LT runs because they're a good work out, but also a good gauge of the improvement in my fitness. The runs at marathon pace give me confidence that I might be able to hold it for the 26.2 when June hits. So it's testing, but also reassuring at the same time. It's like it tests in such a way that you can put your faith in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

scriba wrote: »
    Physically, it's not so bad. I tend to switch off when I run, and racing recently gave me a boost. But mentally it's a bit more taxing, trying to figure out where I can fit one in each day. The mid-week runs are time consuming too. I'm hoping I can get out a bit more in the early mornings now that they're getting a bit brighter, along with the clocks changing too.

But for all that, it's the best thing I've ever done for my running (not that I'm running long - just a year). I feel tired yet strong at the same time, if that makes sense? And the running speeds are mixed up so that there's something a bit different about each run, except this week, which is a step back week. I 'enjoy' doing the LT runs because they're a good work out, but also a good gauge of the improvement in my fitness. The runs at marathon pace give me confidence that I might be able to hold it for the 26.2 when June hits. So it's testing, but also reassuring at the same time. It's like it tests in such a way that you can put your faith in it.

I've already said this in another thread but I think its important to note that with P&D do not expect to be lining up at the start line as fresh as a daisy.You may even start to question the wisdom of P&D in your head, as in were all these miles too much?
    But rest assured if you can follow the plan (some say 80% of the plan) as closely as possible ,well then you will have no bother in not just completing a marathon but actually running it.
    P&D really helps with the mental side of running 26.2 miles as well.

docjewel wrote: »
    I've already said this in another thread but I think its important to note that with P&D do not expect to be lining up at the start line as fresh as a daisy.You may even start to question the wisdom of P&D in your head, as in were all these miles too much?
    But rest assured if you can follow the plan (some say 80% of the plan) as closely as possible ,well then you will have no bother in not just completing a marathon but actually running it.
    P&D really helps with the mental side of running 26.2 miles as well.

I read your post docjewel on that thread, and found it really useful. It's been knocking around my thoughts ever since, and it helped me come to terms with any underlying level of tiredness. I look at it now as a sign of the training already in my legs: a positive in that it shows work done, and an increased potential to do the work needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Cheers for that, if I get through Cork in one piece I may try and make the step up for Dublin. All providing I don't hate the site of a pair of runners after Cork of course... :)

Sun 10/3/2013

Week 6, Session 5 P&D 19k Medium long run

19.52 km in 2:10:01 @ 6:40/km

Really slow LSR, my partner's sister has been slacking off on her recent running, ducking her long runs, so I went out with her at 11 mile pace for 8 miles. The weather was diabolical, filthy icy shards of wetness slashing across the face, as the temperature dropped at sundown. Not fun. Dropped her back at her house, and then did another 4 miles to Douglas and back to make up the twelve. That's the end of Mesocycle 1, and one third of P&D in the bag. That deserves a cup of tea and a couple of chocolate biscuits.

Week (10) P&D wk 6 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 4th - 10th | 5 | 61.99 km | 81.17 km | 462.54 km

Cheers for that, if I get through Cork in one piece I may try and make the step up for Dublin. All providing I don't hate the site of a pair of runners after Cork of course... :)

You and me both - I may set myself on fire at the finish line to prevent this ever happening again. :P I probably won't do Dublin this year, but I'll keep an open mind on it. The only thing is that there's a hell of a wait before another Irish marathon. I might do Clonakilty in December instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Jebus Scriba, have you thawed out yet....11 min miles in cork today !!

Great running last week by the way. Ur 10 mile time in ballycotton shows ur getting the benefits of the plan already.

tomred1N wrote: »
    Jebus Scriba, have you thawed out yet....11 min miles in cork today !!

Great running last week by the way. Ur 10 mile time in ballycotton shows ur getting the benefits of the plan already.

Ha ha! Just about! It took a long shower, and couple of bowls of homemade soup. Believe me, I'd have loved to have kicked on. But reflecting on the positives, it's extra time on my feet for endurance and teaching the body to burn some of my fat stores (I have plenty :D), and I can honestly say that I haven't pushed it (at all) in my recovery week.

Not looking forward to the LT run on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

That's the end of Mesocycle 1, and one third of P&D in the bag. That deserves a cup of tea and a couple of chocolate biscuits.

I'll put kettle on. Well done on ticking off Mesocycle 1. Good luck with cycle 2, doesn't look very inviting.

outforarun wrote: »

I'll put kettle on. Well done on ticking off Mesocycle 1. Good luck with cycle 2, doesn't look very inviting.

Cheers, albeit I've one dropped run already (a recovery)! Cycle 2 definitely requires an 'each day as it comes' approach. I'm hoping my legs can take it, gave my legs a good rolling this evening. Upper left calf and right heel the main points after this week. I'm going to try roll daily and see if it helps. I've also gotten a bit lazy with post run stretches - gotta fix that.

Wed 13/3/2013

Week 7, Session 1 P&D 16k w/ 8k LT pace

16.03 km in 1:27:23 @ 5:27/km (8k @ 4:45/km avg)

Slow starting my running this week. This was a very tough session, doing it at as close to 10 mile pace as I could muster. Did on not much food, and squeezed it in. The 5k home was recovery pace, and I couldn't have gone faster were I chased by snarling hounds. Pooped!

Week (10) P&D wk 7 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 11th - 17th | 1 | 16.03 km | 97.2 km | 478.57 km

Thurs 14/3/2013

Week 7, Session 2 P&D 6.4km recovery

6.27 km in 39:16 @ 6:16/km

Morning run! :) 4.6 km done on grass. Bright and beautiful!

Mar 11th - 17th | 2 | 22.3 km | 103.47 km | 484.84 km

Fri 15/3/2013

Week 7, Session 3 P&D 18k MSR

17.72 km in 1:44:38 @ 5:54/km

Another early morning pre-work run. Now that things are getting busy, it's going to have to be mornings all the way - lovely weather again helps enormously! Getting out of bed this morning to do this was hopefully a turning point, motivation has been a little hard to come by since Ballycotton. Rigidly sticking to schedules should help.

Mar 11th - 17th | 3| 40.02 km | 121.19 km | 502.56 km

Sat 16/3/2013

Week 7, Session 4 P&D 11k Gen aer w 8 x 100m strides.

11.02 km in 1:03:46 @ 5:47/km (9.1 km or so on grass)

Bright sunny morning in Cork, and a little chilly. My favourite running weather, went up to do grass laps of the local park. Legs felt great on my fourth consecutive running day, loosened up quickly, possibly helped by an unusually thorough stretching of my calf muscles beforehand. Maybe a little quick, though definitely within my prescribed range for easy pace. I was feeling good, so good in fact, that I even did my strides. :P

Tomorrow has my longest ever run, 29km, but I'm looking forward to being out on my feet for nearly three hours (I plan to do this one conservatively at around 6 min/km or a little under). I must keep reminding myself to bring some emergency haribo and a couple of euro also. I have a rough figure 8 of the south side mapped out for the big runs, with my house smack bang in the middle, so that should be most of my hydration sorted out. Work starts here. :)

Mar 11th - 17th | 4 | 51.04 km | 132.21 km | 513.58 km

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Good luck with tomorrows run scriba. No bother to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck with tomorrow scriba, I'll be doing the Harty Quay loop x 3 myself in the morning. Hoping the weather is like today!

blockic wrote: »
    Good luck with tomorrow scriba, I'll be doing the Harty Quay loop x 3 myself in the morning. Hoping the weather is like today!

If you see a man with a fiery ginger-haired aurora about his visage, that'll be me! :p I'll be running Turners cross to the Marina, Blackrock Castle, round the loop, back the marina into town, and then out to Togher, Wilton, Bishopstown, Melbourne Road, out Model Farm road towards Ballincollig, round the roundabout and back in the straight road. Fingers crossed for the weather all right, but sure we'll be out regardless. Gonna try do this at 7am, just to have a fighting chance of putting running-related activities to bed before midday, but we'll see how it goes. :)

upthe19th wrote: »
    Good luck with tomorrows run scriba. No bother to ya.

And you too! Sure 18 miles is but an itch, not even a scratch. How hard can it be? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

If you see a man with a fiery ginger-haired aurora about his visage, that'll be me! :p I'll be running Turners cross to the Marina, Blackrock Castle, round the loop, back the marina into town, and then out to Togher, Wilton, Bishopstown, Melbourne Road, out Model Farm road towards Ballincollig, round the roundabout and back in the straight road. Fingers crossed for the weather all right, but sure we'll be out regardless. Gonna try do this at 7am, just to have a fighting chance of putting running-related activities to bed before midday, but we'll see how it goes. :)

7am!! :eek: you don't know me!! If im started by midday I'll be delighted! :D Otherwise I might have bumped into ya!

Sun 17/3/2013

Week 7, Session 5 P&D 18 mile LSR

28.91 km in 2:47:27 @ 5:47/km

Nice morning for a run, and this was a really good one. Thought about breakfast beforehand, in light of the fact that it was my longest run so far, but I don't usually have breakfast these days, and went without. Felt really comfortable throughout, legs moved really well until about 25km, where I started to feel tiredness in my legs. The work was a little harder from here to the end, and I was definitely tired when I got back (as seen by my decision not to run the extra 0.05km and back past my front door!). No aches or pains, gave the calves a really good stretch again after.

Felt really strong for most of this, and positive about my ability to run the marathon distance in June. I can feel the benefits of this training already, and it really is building my confidence. Listened to four 'In our Time' podcasts also, so gave my brain a bit of a tune up too. On to week 8 now, with 7 miles recovery on the agenda in the morning before work.

Mar 11th - 17th | 5 | 79.95 km | 161.12 km | 542.49 km

Wed 20/3/2013

Week 8, Session 1 P&D 11k recovery

11.26 km in 1:07:10 @ 5:58/km

Was a bit slow and lazy starting this week, and I'm going to get my just comeuppance looking at the rainfall predictions for the rest of the week. This was grand, enjoyable in parts, did a big hill, nice and slow. Was tempted to run a few this run, but its a long week ahead, and I'll need something for Sunday.

My achilles and heels were definitely tight and sore starting off, but they eased off after a couple of km and were soon perfect. A symptom of my tight calves at the moment, I suspect. I think a bit of rolling is in store tomorrow.

Week (12) P&D wk 8 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 18th - 24th | 1 | 11.26 km | 172.38 km | 553.75 km

Didn't get out this morning or this evening, didn't fancy another soaking which leaves me now short of days to complete this week. I'll have to do the LT session tomorrow, I'll do the 8k on Saturday, and the 32k on Sunday. Must do better.

Fri 22/3/2013

Week 8, Session 3 P&D 16k w/ 9.5k @ LT

17.22 km in 1:31:11 @ 5:18/km (10k @ avg 4:45/km)

My running to schedule is all over the place this week. I skipped session 8:2, a 19k medium slow run, because of the foul weather yesterday and went straight to the LT session. I didn't think I could do it when I set out the door, and was already making excuses about doing the 19k medium slow run instead. But once I had clocked 3km, I hit pace and held it fairly comfortably for 10km, hard work, but I could have easily gone on some more. I guess that's the confidence gained from the recent 10 mile.

Tomorrow I'm going to do session 8:4 which is 8km of recovery, followed by the first 32km LSR on Sunday. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may do the 19km on Monday, take a rest day Tuesday and then do next weeks mostly recovery paced sessions all in a row. Or I may just let it slide. :)

Long story short, happy out with that, it was sorely needed. It's runs like this where the mileage really shows it's worth. Now to roll the sh!t out my calves.

Mar 18th - 24th | 2 | 28.48 km | 189.6 km | 570.97 km

Sat 23/3/2013

Week 8, Session 4 P&D 8k recovery

7.84 boring km in 48:57 @ 6:14/km (6.2k on grass)

Dull morning down here, but at least it wasn't raining. Got some recovery distance into my legs, on the splodgy wet grass. Feel better after doing this, unless I run a couple of days in a row, I feel like my running habit is on the verge of collapse! :rolleyes:

1st 32km tomorrow, generally quite positive about it. My legs are a little more wary of it though.

Mar 18th - 24th | 3 | 36.32 km | 197.44 km | 578.81 km

Sun 24/3/2013

Week 8, Session 5 P&D 32k LSR

32.18 km in 3:08:13 @ 5:51/km

Jesus that was windy. Ran to Marina and did three loops on the walkway, and ran home again. Realised fairly soon that I was pretty much the only clown running into the wind, but I'm stubborn and had made my choice! Ran the middle km a little fast and my legs were tired again at the end. Difference was that it came on around the 29th km as apposed to the 25th km last week. No gels, or breakfast and only a drop of water again. One down, two to go.

Mar 18th - 24th | 4 | 68.50 km | 229.62 km | 610.99 km

Short week on account of me missing the 19 km midweek run (Session 8:2).Thought about doing it this morning, but I'm tapping this post out in my warm bed, enjoying the lazy tired feeling in my legs. Mind, body and soul are in concord: rest day today.

Wed 27/3/2013

Week 9, Session 1 P&D recovery run

8.85 km in 50:15 @ 5:41/km

Nice riverside run down in Belgooly, cool enough but no biting breeze. Pleasant all in all. Legs reporting no complaints after weekend's exertions. Trying to stretch out the achilles and calves as much as possible. This is a fairly easy week, looking forward to hitting all the sessions, and giving the MP a lash on Sunday.

Week (13) P&D wk 9 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 25th - 31st | 1 | 8.85 km | 238.47 km | 619.84 km

Thurs 28/3/2013

Week 9, Session 2 P&D recovery run

10.31 km in 59:41 @ 5:47/km

Time is something of a rare commodity at the moment, as I'm beset by the twin tyranny of deadlines and progress. So I got out around half seven tonight and ran in automatic mode. So automatic in fact that I was running about halfway down the marina before I noticed there was no street lights there at all. Running safety fail. Creepy out too. Leg turnover was assisted by visions of being found upside down in a shopping cart at low tide tomorrow morning. ;) Na, it was grand. Plenty of walkers about, thankfully.

But it was good to get out. This was more easy pace than recovery, but so what. Plan is to do the 23km run tomorrow, another recovery on Saturday, and the PMP on Sunday. Easy. Now if I could just settle on a PMP.

Week (13) P&D wk 9 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 25th - 31st | 2 | 19.16 km | 248.78 km | 630.15 km

• Advertisement

Double post.

Advertisement