Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Jasis lads, ye were eager beavers with the sign up!!

Best of luck to you both!! Might see ye in the pub after! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

blockic wrote: »
    Jasis lads, ye were eager beavers with the sign up!!

Best of luck to you both!! Might see ye in the pub after! :cool:

Cheers blokic! And same to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

How'd it go?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm hoping it's a chip malfunction but results have scriba down for a DNF :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Ah jesus no hopefully not. let us know if you're okay scriba pls. :)

• Advertisement

No malfunction, except of the physiological variety. Had to bail out at the top of Hartlands Ave (19.x miles in). My right calf and leg finally locked up, preventing even a run-walk-hobble to the finish. I was also massively dehydrated, and nauseous from the heat, so I called it. I'll give a full (or 19/26ths) of a report tomorrow. Not an ideal first marathon, but I'll be back for many more yet. It was always going to require a lot of things to go well: I had to work way too hard in the heat to get to 16 miles on time anyway, so maybe the constant cramp did me a favour.

Thanks for all the well-wishing beforehand and the concern after, everyone! It means a lot! I had a lovely afternoon once I got the temp down and fully rehydrated, nursed a beer and a couple of burgers out my back garden, and did my stretching. 2 weeks rest and then I start again, build a better base, get my leg sorted, and line up again. :)

It was also great to meet the assorted boardies! Ncmc, Mr. Wiggle, Doc Jewel, et al (I was a bit frazzled and missed the other names!), see you again!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Good to meet you this morning scriba,sorry things didn't work out for you today but there will be other & better days.It was a tough day out there for a marathon & as most of us can subscribe to the marathon is a beast of a race.

It also takes guts to say your body has had enough before you end up collapsing elsewhere on the course.
    You've a good base built now so after a recovery period hopefully you'll be raring to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sorry to hear that scriba but delighted you seem to have moved on already and made the most of the afternoon :) You seem to be taking the positives out of it which is brilliant. Great run in those conditions all the same. Am just back in from 5k at 8pm and I really felt the effects of the heat this late in the day. Can only imagine what it was like this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

docjewel wrote: »
    Good to meet you this morning scriba,sorry things didn't work out for you today but there will be other & better days.It was a tough day out there for a marathon & as most of us can subscribe to the marathon is a beast of a race.

It also takes guts to say your body has had enough before you end up collapsing elsewhere on the course.
    You've a good base built now so after a recovery period hopefully you'll be raring to go again.

+1 to all of this, easy to say but put it down to experience, the humidity hit everyone. Good call on pulling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

sorry to hear it didn't go to plan today. sensible decision to stop before any damage was done....move onwards now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

hope you're feeling ok today scriba. Gutted for you but you made a very good call pulling out. Can't have been easy but at least you'll be good and strong for your next marathon attack. Look forward to reading about your plans the next chapter in your running ...

Cork City Marathon 2013
    32.02km in 3:19:36 (DNF)

Not the race report I was hoping to write today, but I write it with few regrets. I've truly learned things about the marathon which I thought I knew, but now will never (ever) forget. I was under-trained and physically not 100%, and the marathon found me out.

Pre-race
    Got up around 5:45 to make myself a large bowl of porridge and apple pieces, with cinnamon and sesame seeds, and a banana. Drank a pseudo-lucozade sport and went back for a lie-down, to try be as relaxed as possible for later on. Thought about how great it would be to finish, but was worried about the lack of training since the end of April. I hoped that I could make it to 20 miles in 1 piece and then dig in for the end. Got my girlfriend to drop me into town for about 8:10, did a slow warmup jog for about 15-20 minutes and then went to meet a few boardsies gathered by the start line (Mr. Wiggle, ncmc, Doc Jewel, Ecoenergy were the names I grasped, but there were a couple of more people there - I think!) It was great to put faces to names, and hope to meet you all again at a race soon over the summer :). We said our goodbyes and goodlucks and went to find our respective pacers. At this stage, I was feeling pretty good, the weather seemed ok. I didn't twig that this could be a humid day at this stage. The gun went, and we crossed the start line a minute after.

Miles 1 - 7 Bank Holiday LSR
    These were pretty uneventful, I felt really comfortable at 9 min/mile pace. Chatted to some of the other people on the sub 4 bus, and met a buddy who was also looking to get in under 4 hours. So that helped pass the time. Slurped on a 500 ml diluted bottle of sportsdrink for that first hour or so, and didn't take on any additional water. It didn't feel hot yet, but it started to feel a little oppressive. I found myself hoping for little bits of breeze, and really missing it when it was gone. There was a great buzz at the first relay changeover point on the lower glanmire road. It was at this point that I noticed that one of my nipples had become un-taped. This was a worry! Cruised along though, picking up a 250 ml bottle of water at Tivoli, and in under the tunnel I went. Laughed out loud at the huge "Oggie-oggie-oggie" chant which bellowed out from a runner behind me, and I was in good spirits!

Miles 8-12 Nothing to this marathon lark?
    Out from under the tunnel, and up into the warm air. I was beginning to really dislike the closeness at this point, and was getting a little sick of running on the link road by the time we swung onto Skehard Rd. Everything just seemed a little dull, the sky, the road, the terrain. I was looking forward to getting to Blackrock castle, and onto the loop where I do most of my running. My legs were still turning over well, pace still felt conversational, but I was losing a lot of salt. Stopped and grabbed a cup of lucozade sport at Blackrock castle, another 250 ml bottle of water, and turned onto the walkway, towards Harty's Quay.

Miles 13-15 Familiarity breeds... discontentment?
    So here I was, turning onto one of my favourite places to run. It was thick with runners, relay and marathon, and I felt quite claustrophobic. I'm not great in crowds anyway, but all of us bunched up felt a little... wrong. Ran along by the water, then onto the old railway line, having joined up with my buddy again. I was beginning to feel the distance in my legs, and the heat. It was good to have someone to chat to. Alas, he chatted about various painful marathons where he had dragged himself to the finish line. I had to tell him he was killing me, so he moved on to talking about training for ironman instead. I did not like this. Water station for halfway came up, and I sent him on, while I stopped to drink more water, squirt some over my head, and replace my cap. I was beginning to hate my cap. I bought it in the expo, but I never usually wear caps. I felt like it was cooking my brain. Restarted again, and saw the pacer balloons maybe 30 meters ahead. I slowly started to reel them in again, as we joined up with a sea of half marathoners on the Marina. I didn't really like this one bit, suddenly it seemed really busy, really crowded and they were all stealing my breeze. I sponged myself on the fly, daydreamed of a bird swooping down to take my cap and return it to me at the finish, and set a target of catching the balloons by Lee rowing club. But I was beginning to find everything much tougher, and my right calf started to give out.

Miles 16-20 A bus with no wheels... or bus
    I ran on, getting acutely aware of the distance between me and the pacers. I looked around for other marathoners to latch on to, but I was alone, in a throng of half marathoners and relay runners. I felt defeated, but I reset myself to think of finishing, which I would happily have taken before hand. Ran from tree, to pole, to tree, to pole along the centrepark road. This kept me going until just after the Elysian tower, when I hit the link and my calf locked up for the first time. Hobbled to a nearby pole, and stretched out for half a minute, and started off again. Adopted a walk-run for a while until I got to the turn-off hill, which I walked up, and ran again to turners cross church. More stop-start followed. I had arranged for my girlfriend to be at the 19th mile marker, so I was desperate to make it there at least. I was nauseous, roasted and in a fair bit of pain at this point. I hobbled past the wonderful locals, taking their jellies, oranges and encouragement, before stretching again and jogging up to my girlfriend. I got a huge wave from her and her sister and sister's partner, along with some home-made signs. I was delighted, stopped to chat for a min, stretched again, and took off with new-found determination, which lasted for nearly another mile. Calf completely locked up, and thought about hobbling the last 7 miles to the finish. Thought against it, I was beaten and I knew it.

Issues and lessons:
    Had a little while to think about this now, and I've learned a few things. I drank more water than I have ever done during a race (1.5-1.75L in total, and yet I was chronically dehydrated when I pulled out. I need to be much smarter about hydration in future. Similarly, I need to be smarter about running in the heat. I was shivering and sick for about an hour after, cold towels and a luke-warm shower got me back feeling somewhat normal enough to try eat, but it was awful. However, these elements only exasperated what the real issue was: I hadn't done enough training, and my body was insufficiently prepared for the event. I suspected this might be the case beforehand, but I was confident that a) I would learn exactly where I'm at by running this and b) that if things got too hairy, I would have the necessary cop-on to drop out. So no regrets for running it.

With regard to the training plan I followed, I see now that I was struggling to stay on top of it. I think I'll be able to manage it next time, as long as I don't cut corners. That means not considering one 30 mile week as evidence of currently being a 30 mpw runner. So base will be hugely important. When I build that base over the rest of the summer, I will then look at doing the marathon again. It's good to know that the training for the marathon won't have been a waste, however. Just a wee step to far at this point in time.

No doubt other thoughts will come to me over the next week or two. But for now, I'm going to put my feet up this week, and look forward to a few recovery runs next week. I'm going to target a September HM to get my time down to 99:59, and maybe then look at tackling Clonakilty in December.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, and interest so far. :)

Ososlo wrote: »
    hope you're feeling ok today scriba. Gutted for you but you made a very good call pulling out. Can't have been easy but at least you'll be good and strong for your next marathon attack. Look forward to reading about your plans the next chapter in your running ...

Thanks Ososlo. I'm actually feeling fine about all of this. I wasn't ready really, that's the long and the short of it. I never thought I would ever try a marathon. This month will be my sixteenth month running. Overall, I'm delighted with my progress, and I just need to push on. I can't wait to get back out there.

Sorry to hear that scriba but delighted you seem to have moved on already and made the most of the afternoon :) You seem to be taking the positives out of it which is brilliant. Great run in those conditions all the same. Am just back in from 5k at 8pm and I really felt the effects of the heat this late in the day. Can only imagine what it was like this morning.

Thanks PM. The great thing about boards is that even before I went out yesterday morning, I had a contingency plan, influenced by the experiences of so many runners here, including your good self. I promised myself that if it came to it, I would brave-sir-robin it out of there to live to fight another day. :P Seriously though, I ran until I was on fumes, and I knew then that any more would have been futile, possibly dangerous, and certainly detrimental to me getting back out there any time soon.

docjewel wrote: »

You're a mighty man for toughing it out. Great to meet you, and I'll catch you again at a race before long. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just spotted this now Scriba, absolutely gutted for you. Great race report, very honest. I think on another, cooler day, you may have got away with not having the training done, but yesterday just took no prisoners.

Still, it's just a bump in the road, you'll be back stronger and fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Well done scriba on having the b@lls to know when to stop !
    I passed a few yesterday that were in a cruel condition and needed medical help. I think we all learnt a few lessons out there yesterday, ones that will stick with us and prove invaluable for races to come!

Great meeting you, will again no doubt at some more events.

Mr.W~

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

ncmc wrote: »
    Just spotted this now Scriba, absolutely gutted for you. Great race report, very honest. I think on another, cooler day, you may have got away with not having the training done, but yesterday just took no prisoners.

Still, it's just a bump in the road, you'll be back stronger and fitter.

+1 Scriba,

I had followed your log as I thought I might be trying to keep up with you as you were making good progress until your training was interrupted.
    Might do Clon myself later in the year ....sun shouldn't be an issue down there in December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Gutted for you, never easy to do that, but seems like your analysis was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

scriba wrote: »
    I hadn't done enough training, and my body was insufficiently prepared for the event. I suspected this might be the case beforehand, but I was confident that a) I would learn exactly where I'm at by running this and b) that if things got too hairy, I would have the necessary cop-on to drop out. So no regrets for running it.

With regard to the training plan I followed, I see now that I was struggling to stay on top of it. I think I'll be able to manage it next time, as long as I don't cut corners. That means not considering one 30 mile week as evidence of currently being a 30 mpw runner. So base will be hugely important. When I build that base over the rest of the summer, I will then look at doing the marathon again.

Excellent honest report. Well done for acknowledging that you were beat and pulling out when you did. The shivering and sickness you describe afterwards sounds scary and it could have been worse if you'd continued. What I like in your report is that despite the rough day you had there's the sense that every detail is taken on board as a lesson and recognized as something that will help you next time out. You haven't been put off. I also think I didn't have enough of a consistent base built up before starting P&D. We should keep tabs on each other over the summer and rest of the year to ensure we get that base built for P&D Take 2. I'm already thinking feet up for the opening game of World Cup 2014 with a sub 3:30 nailed the week before.

Sorry I didn't meet you on the day. I missed the Quills posts.

• Advertisement

outforarun wrote: »
    We should keep tabs on each other over the summer and rest of the year to ensure we get that base built for P&D Take 2. I'm already thinking feet up for the opening game of World Cup 2014 with a sub 3:30 nailed the week before.

Good call on that. Plenty of races over the summer to get stuck into.

My head's already wrecked on picking a HM plan. I want to either Charleville or Blarney (i.e. St Finbarr's AC) HM in September, but I'm in two minds as to what to do. Online HM plans don't have enough mileage for my liking, so I'm thinking of just getting up to ~50kph, varying long runs peaking at 27km or so, with LT/HMP sessions à la 1st 6 weeks of P&D to get me ready. Once I've had a responsible couple of weeks of recovery running of course. And core work... looooots of core work. :)

Thanks for all the input on this log, it was helpful and motivating, and no worries re: quills. I'll catch you some other day, maybe at the Cork-Cobh later this year.

Good call on that. Plenty of races over the summer to get stuck into.

My head's already wrecked on picking a HM plan. I want to either Charleville or Blarney (i.e. St Finbarr's AC) HM in September, but I'm in two minds as to what to do. Online HM plans don't have enough mileage for my liking, so I'm thinking of just getting up to ~50kph, varying long runs peaking at 27km or so, with LT/HMP sessions à la 1st 6 weeks of P&D to get me ready. Once I've had a responsible couple of weeks of recovery running of course. And core work... looooots of core work. :)

Thanks for all the input on this log, it was helpful and motivating, and no worries re: quills. I'll catch you some other day, maybe at the Cork-Cobh later this year.
    I know what you mean about the HM plans, a lot of them seem quite low mileage coming from a marathon training plan. Maybe one of the experts here could recommend a good training plan.

I will probably do either Charleville or Cork-Cobh, so maybe I'll catch you at one of those!

I know what you mean about the HM plans, a lot of them seem quite low mileage coming from a marathon training plan. Maybe one of the experts here could recommend a good training plan.

I will probably do either Charleville or Cork-Cobh, so maybe I'll catch you at one of those!

I know, I nearly feel like training for another marathon just for the benefits of a half. Slight overkill, maybe! :p Cork-Cobh looks a lot of fun, so I'm definitely up for that.

5.12 km at recovery pace this lunch time.

I decided I'd better get out there before a few weeks turned into a couple of years! Since the marathon, I've had a lovely holiday, I've tried to teach myself how to swim, lost most of my pasty back to sunburn, and caught up on some neglected real life stuff.

Today's run was hilarious. I jogged a bit of the Mahon walkway in the midday sun. I felt I was going to get flashbacks. Is there such a thing as runner's PTSD? It had a good laugh at my own expense. Calves wobbled a bit as I went around. I'm going to have to be better about my rolling this time.

Anyway, despite all that, it was good to get out, I was flahed out after it. I'll get out again Sunday, I've a wedding on Saturday morning. Plan for the rest of the month is to get up to 5 days/50k a week, and then take it from there. I might throw in a few 10MP/LT sessions in a couple of weeks to pick it up. In other words, plan for July is to get back into it. There are plenty of HMs to consider then over August and September, and I'm thinking about Clonakilty in December, or failing that Tralee. But first things first... left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot...

Time to update my numbers:

Month | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    July | 1 | 5.12 km | 5.12 km | 997.1 km

Today's run was hilarious. I jogged a bit of the Mahon walkway in the midday sun. I felt I was going to get flashbacks. Is there such a thing as runner's PTSD? It had a good laugh at my own expense. Calves wobbled a bit as I went around. I'm going to have to be better about my rolling this time.

Anyway, despite all that, it was good to get out, I was flahed out after it. I'll get out again Sunday, I've a wedding on Saturday morning. Plan for the rest of the month is to get up to 5 days/50k a week, and then take it from there. I might throw in a few 10MP/LT sessions in a couple of weeks to pick it up. In other words, plan for July is to get back into it. There are plenty of HMs to consider then over August and September, and I'm thinking about Clonakilty in December, or failing that Tralee. But first things first... left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot...

Time to update my numbers:

July | 1 | 5.12 km | 5.12 km | 997.1 km
    It’s so funny you say that, I did the route round Jacobs Island and back by the old railway line on Monday, and like that was actually dreading it as I thought I would have awful flashbacks! It’s funny how the circumstances cloud your judgement. In my memory, the railway path was the hottest, most closed in part of the course and I felt I could hardly breath. On Monday, it was just lovely – cool and shaded and a very enjoyable place to run. Of course there wasn’t hundreds of sweaty, heaving bodies around me on Monday, so that probably left it feeling a bit cooler!

I’m thinking of doing Clonakilty too. At least we won’t have to worry about overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I drive out of Cork every day and get the shivers going down by Tivoli towards the tunnel where my hip went. You'd think we were tortured and beaten into marathon running. :)

Bet you feel good to be back just the same... I'm only feeling like I'm coming right again now too. Took a fair few easy mile runs to get the legs back feeling normal.

Beef wrote: »
    I drive out of Cork every day and get the shivers going down by Tivoli towards the tunnel where my hip went. You'd think we were tortured and beaten into marathon running. :)

Bet you feel good to be back just the same... I'm only feeling like I'm coming right again now too. Took a fair few easy mile runs to get the legs back feeling normal.
    Yep, I'll second that, my runs since Cork have been varying degrees of sauntering, moseying, mooching, ambling and meandering! Haven't managed a single fast run and it's not that I've been holding back, literally haven't felt able to go faster then an easy pace. I would think the hot weather hasn't helped. I find it quite difficult to run in the heat. Personally, I'm not going to worry too much about speed sessions for the moment. Want to concentrate on getting the love of running back first!

Yep, I'll second that, my runs since Cork have been varying degrees of sauntering, moseying, mooching, ambling and meandering! Haven't managed a single fast run and it's not that I've been holding back, literally haven't felt able to go faster then an easy pace. I would think the hot weather hasn't helped. I find it quite difficult to run in the heat. Personally, I'm not going to worry too much about speed sessions for the moment. Want to concentrate on getting the love of running back first!

Well it's only a month since what was a challenging day out. I'd say the first pace session back, regardless of when it's done, will be rubbish. In my (albeit short) time running, I don't think I've ever nailed the first pace session after I've started a new programme. But the system shock usually gets me ready for the next one.

I still dread it though.

Ok, so I haven't gotten out quite as much as I'd have liked. Certainly didn't fancy the heat, but things are more reasonable now temp-wise. I actually enjoyed running in the rain this week. Got out twice so far this week, and I'll get out twice this weekend. That constitutes being back, right? ...

Mon 22nd: 11.01 km in 1:06:57 @ 6:05/km
    Wed 24th: 6.67 km in 38:52 @ 5:50/km

Beginning to breath a little better, but it still feels terribly slow. Having said that, I think it's predominantly mental. I'm going to try throw in 5-6km at desired half marathon pace next week to see where I'm at. Should be disgusting. :P

Target is to run the St Finbarr's half marathon in Blarney on the 8th of September, and maybe Charleville too if I'm free a fortnight after. Would like to be hitting low 1:4x, so that means a lot of horrible weekly LT sessions between now and the end of August.

July | 3 | 22.8 km | 22.8 km | 1014.78 km

• Advertisement

Sat 27th 8.07km in 44:18 @ 5:30

Mixed weather run here, with hot sun, and a mild downpour, but all good. The goal was to keep the pace up a bit quicker than last time, to get my lungs used to working a bit harder. LT-session-wise, planning one session a week where I'm going to try hit 6km at 5:10/km pace next week (29th onwards); followed by 7.5km at 5:00/km pace the week after (5th on); 9km at 4:50/km pace the week after (12th on); 11km at 4:45/km (19th on) and finally 13km at 4:45/km (26th on), towards getting on target HMP for the 8th of September. Some tough sessions ahead, but should have me in good nick for the half. I'll have to extend out my long runs in the meantime.

Feeling good. I think tomorrow will be a nice slow and longish run, might aim for 90 mins on my feet, should translate into about 14-15km.

July | 4 | 30.87 km | 30.87 km | 1022.85 km

Advertisement