Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

scriba wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen where it splits off to the primary school! This was my first run of it since the start of December, but I'll be doing it both ways once I get a little fitter :eek: :D. That walkway is a great amenity for the area, great to see it being used in the early evenings too. I did most of my runs for Clon last year out here, and it really helped with the hilly aspects of the course.

You're really motoring through your training, I foresee impressive results! :)

Those hills were great prep for Clon! walkway is great alright. I'm only down once a month running around there but ya never know we might cross paths at some point!

So far so good with the training. Have Bohermeen now in a couple of weeks so that will be a good measurement for where I am! alot is riding on the result of that so will wait and see!

I'll be popping in on ya with the P&D anyway to see how your getting on. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Great to have someone else following the same plan at the same time. I'm finding it testing but the legs are holding up. Good variety in the plan and the rest and recovery days seem to arrive just at the right moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

blockic wrote: »
    Those hills were great prep for Clon! walkway is great alright. I'm only down once a month running around there but ya never know we might cross paths at some point!

Yup. I'm going to try do some of my long runs down there from here on in.
    I'll be popping in on ya with the P&D anyway to see how your getting on. Good luck with it!

Likewise! Keep up the good work. :)

outforarun wrote: »
    Great to have someone else following the same plan at the same time. I'm finding it testing but the legs are holding up. Good variety in the plan and the rest and recovery days seem to arrive just at the right moment.

Yup, very handy! I'm finding it grand at the moment, but I suspect my target might be a little soft. I may re-evaluate things after Ballycotton, but since it's my first marathon, I'm happy to get across the line. So I'll balance the two. It may also be that I'm taking it easy on my recovery and general runs: I find I have plenty left then for the faster sessions. Only week 3 though, we'll see how it goes! :p

Wed 13/2/2013

Week 3, Session 2 P&D 6.5km recovery run

6.9 km in 43:52 (6:22/km),

Dirty wet night, I really didn't want to do this, and it was getting later and later. I eventually got changed into my gear and went out to do this. Pace nice and slow, strictly recovery pace. LT session tomorrow, don't know yet if I'll do this tomorrow morning or evening. Bearing in mind I'll only have 9 hours between now and the morning, I might leave it till later.

The only thing that dragged me out in the end was the thought of not having a perfect record. :eek:

Week (8) P&D 15 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Feb 11th - 17th| 2 | 23 km | 108.31 km | 230.94 km

• Advertisement

Yup, very handy! I'm finding it grand at the moment, but I suspect my target might be a little soft. I may re-evaluate things after Ballycotton, but since it's my first marathon, I'm happy to get across the line. So I'll balance the two. It may also be that I'm taking it easy on my recovery and general runs: I find I have plenty left then for the faster sessions. Only week 3 though, we'll see how it goes! :p

I think you're right to focus on getting across the line for your first. And following P&D should mean that if you get to the start line in one piece you'll also cross the line in a decent time and hopefully will have enjoyed the journey.

I'm also feeling that I have lots of energy for the faster stuff. Like you pointed out the first mesocycle is all about endurance so it makes sense. It is only week 3 afterall and it wouldn't be good to be lacking energy so soon. Still, last Tuesday's 10 miles felt strange, I've never run so far so slow! But it is still fast end of the prescribed PMP percentile for a GA run.

Thurs 14/2/2013

Week 3, Session 3 P&D 13 km w/ 6.5 k LT

13.18 km in 1:11:12, LT: 7k in 33:34 (avg pace 4:48/km)

Nice one, a bit of bright weather, or at least a pocket of it, was enough to get out a little earlier. Jogged down to the marina again to do these. My quads are still a little tight after the inclines on Tuesday, but I was able for this. Overall it was 'comfortably tough'. Rest day tomorrow, next run is another recovery run on Saturday. :)

LT km splits were: 4:49; 4:48; 4:48; 4:49; 4:46; 4:48; 4:46.

Week (8) P&D -15 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Feb 11th - 17th| 3 | 36.18 km | 121.49 km | 244.12 km

And following P&D should mean that if you get to the start line in one piece you'll also cross the line in a decent time and hopefully will have enjoyed the journey.

Exactly, that's the plan.
    I'm also feeling that I have lots of energy for the faster stuff. Like you pointed out the first mesocycle is all about endurance so it makes sense. It is only week 3 afterall and it wouldn't be good to be lacking energy so soon. Still, last Tuesday's 10 miles felt strange, I've never run so far so slow! But it is still fast end of the prescribed PMP percentile for a GA run.

I didn't put together much of a base going into this, so I'm treating the first mesocycle as base building (which it kind of is anyway). Which means I'm delighted to keep the slow runs slow, especially the recovery runs. I'm not going to lie to you though, it does feel a little odd keeping it slow in the midweek ones, especially when you want to get home sooner! I guess it's all discipline though, which hopefully will continue to pay off when I need to do sessions harder, not to mention on race day.

Sat 16/2/2013

Week 3, Session 4 P&D 6.5k recovery

6.45 km in 41:10 @ 6:23/km

Ran this in the local park, so about 4.5km were on grass. Round and round and round I went. Legs felt heavy. Should help for tomorrow's long run though.

Week (7) P&D -15 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Feb 11th - 17th| 4 | 42.63 km | 127.94 km | 250.57 km

Sun 17/2/2013

Week 3, Session 5 P&D 23k LSR

23.01 km in 2:15:32 @ 5:53/km

This was a good long run, done on an empty stomach as usual. Felt heavy-legged for the last couple of km, but that's to be expected. This is officially my longest run ever, and almost a year to the day since my first tentative steps into the world of plodding :D. It's all uncharted territory from here.

Week (7) P&D -15 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Feb 11th - 17th| 5 | 65.64 km | 150.95 km | 273.58 km

• Advertisement

Tue 19/2/2013

Week 4, Session 1 P&D 13k General aerobic w/ 10 x 100m strides

13.04 km in 1:18:44 @ 6:02/km (9k done on grass)

Such a bright evening, so I went up to the park for some laps on the grass. Marathon Talk passed the time, as I went round and round, dodging and weaving around faeces canum. Jogging on grass still feels a little strange, but it certainly lessens the impact. Roll on tomorrow's recovery run.

Week (8) P&D -14 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Feb 18th - 24th| 1 | 13.04 km | 163.99 km | 286.62 km

With Ballycotton less than 2 weeks away, I'm going to do 8-9km at 10 mile pace in the middle of Thursday's 16k run. Essentially, it'll be a slightly longer LT threshold run, which if I can hold on race day, will bring me in at sub 77 mins.

Wed 20/2/2013

Week 4, Session 2 P&D 8k recovery run

8.02 km in 51:52 @ 6:28/km (5.4k done on grass)

Bog standard slow running, ran very slow and still felt sluggish and lethargic. Had a stitch for most of it too. All rather unpleasant, but it's done, and a significant portion on grass too. Might have been my mindset, quite busy at the moment, and it took some amount of internal bargaining to get out to do this. Anyway, in the bag, and the perfect streak continues... :pac:

Feb 18th - 24th| 2 | 21.06 km | 172.01 km | 294.64 km

Thurs 21/2/2013

Week 4, Session 3 P&D 16k general aerobic run

16.13 km in 1:28:05 @ 5:28/km (w/ 7.4 km at P10MP avg 4:44/km)
    Failed at last km of pace.

Not feeling the love this week for the programme. Body feeling a little tired, and I need to shake my routes up. The plan was to try run 5 ye olde miles at race pace to test for Ballycotton in 9 days time, as promoted by Meno in the DCM 2012 ongoing thread a few days ago. My LT runs have been generally good in the run up to this week, with 7k not causing any problems. I didn't do myself any favours today. Got up at 7am to run it, but I didn't fancy the cold and wind, so I put it off until this evening. Kept kicking it down the clock, while munching merrily away all afternoon. Eventually copped myself on and hit the road. Pretty much ran all of this with a persistent stitch, but I kept bargaining with myself to go one more km and then I can quit. Then during the eighth km at pace, a blast of wind hit me, and broke the porcelain back of this racing camel. I just quit, decided to jog straight home. Thankfully, a little more bargaining sent me on a detour to bring me up to the 16km for the session.

I think I was due a bad session, and my head certainly wasn't in the right place for this one. Looking back, I was trying to back out of it all day. Still, it'll be of benefit for Ballycotton, no doubt, and we learn more when things go bad. Blah blah silver lining etc. :D

Feb 18th - 24th| 3 | 37.19 km | 188.14 km | 310.77 km

I think all of this happened because I wore a hat. And accidentally ate three caramel eggs.

And accidentally ate three caramel eggs.

Hmmmmm....I'd love a caramel egg right now! Three!!! Sharing is caring!:(

Hmmmmm....I'd love a caramel egg right now! Three!!! Sharing is caring!:(

I said it was an accident. The curvy caramelly bastards.

Sat 23/2/2013

Week 4, Session 4 P&D 6.4 k general aerobic run

6.54 km in 43:22 @ 6:38/km (5 km on grass)

Very cool this morning, but no biting easterly wind, so it was quite pleasant. Usual drill, did some laps on grass, and ran back home. Took it a little slower this morning, and seems to have been of some benefit. LSR tomorrow, which will make this month my highest distance so far.

Feb 18th - 24th| 4 | 43.73 km | 194.68 km | 317.31 km

Just bought myself a foam roller and a stick of bodyglide... fail to prepare etc etc. :D

Sun 24/2/2013

Week 4, Session 5 P&D 24 k MLSR

24.38 km in 2:21:06 @ 5:47/km

Beautiful frosty cool and sparkly bright morning down in Cork, set off just before 9am and did a tour of the western suburbs. Felt really good for most of this, legs were a little tired at the end, but that's down to time on my feet: my body has very little experience of being out over 2 hours. Happy with the pace and form, and all on empty, although really feeling empty and hungry for the last couple of km. Still unsure about the whole gels thing though, I'm going to put off testing them for a while, and see how my body reacts.

Other good news, body glide totally works. :)

Feb 18th - 24th| 5 | 68.11 km | 219.06 km | 341.69 km

So what's the plan for Ballycotton? 4:45 pace? To bring you home with a 1:16:XX?

So what's the plan for Ballycotton? 4:45 pace? To bring you home with a 1:16:XX?

Yup, that's bang on. A 76-7 min finish would be a tidy 5 min PB at the distance too since last year. The only thing is figuring out how to balance racing it with the P&D schedule. I'm in two minds, I might swap next week (a step back week) with this week. Or else I might shift some sessions around this week and run Ballycotton with some fatigue in the legs. The main goal is the marathon, so the purpose of the race is just to see where I'm at in terms of progress.

• Advertisement

Tue 26/2/2013

Week 5, Session 1 P&D 14.5k (with 8k @ LT pace)

14.55 km in 1:26:29 @ 5:57/km (10.4 km done on grass)

I dropped the LT section of this session, because of Ballycotton later this week, where I'll be essentially doing 10 miles at LT. Got great advice on the DCM 2012 graduates thread on this.

I did this run again up at the park, and ran in the soft grass. Not really seeing or feeling any benefits as yet, but I'll keep it up. Listened to the first three chapters of Nostromo again: I was apparently 'listening' to it on the LSR on Sunday, but I kept zoning out. Legs feel a little heavy after the grass. I'm going to get the roller out after dinner and 'treat' myself to a little pain.

Week (9) P&D wk 5 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Feb 25th - Mar 3rd | 1 | 14.55 km | 233.61 km | 356.24 km

Wed 27/2/2013

Week 5, Session 2 P&D 8k recovery pace

8.15 km in 50:00 @ 6:08/km

Didn't fancy laps this evening, so I did a loop around the local area. It's easier to run mindlessly sometimes if you're running towards landmarks. Listened to a bit of marathon talk, and the time passed fairly quickly. This was maybe 10-15 seconds per km quick for my usual recovery pace, but no matter.

Feb 25th - Mar 3rd | 2 | 22.70 km | 241.76 km | 364.39 km

Thur 28/2/2013

Week 5, Session 3 P&D 16k gen. aerobic

16.98 km in 1:42:06 @ 6:01/km

Out the marina, around Blackrock castle, Mahon Walkway, Rochestown, Douglas and home. Dull enough afternoon, but running by water is always nice.

Feb 25th - Mar 3rd | 3 | 39.68 km | 258.74 km | 381.37 km

That completes my best ever month in terms of distance covered. :)

Month | 2012 Days | 2012 km| 2013 Days | 2013 km
    Jan | 0/31 | 0 | 11/31 | 122.63
    Feb | 8/29 | 54.89 | 19/28 | 258.74
    Mar | 13/31 | 126.29 | 0 | 0
    Apr | 10/30 | 112.53 | 0 | 0
    May | 9/31 | 117.27 | 0 | 0
    Jun | 0/30 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Jul | 2/31 | 13.02 | 0 | 0
    Aug | 2/31 | 12.02 | 0 | 0
    Sep | 8/30 | 61.03 | 0 | 0
    Oct | 16/31 | 117.04 | 0 | 0
    Nov | 21/30 | 209.12 | 0 | 0
    Dec | 7/31 | 81.67 | 0 | 0
    Totals | 96/366| 904.88 | 30/59 | 381.37

Best of luck tomorrow (today). Enjoy. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Sun 3/3/2013

Ballycotton 10 mile road race

3 km warming up/down;
    16.18 km in 1:15:53 @ 4:41/km (official time)

This was my first ever Ballycotton 10, but not my last. I drove down neurotically early, I was in the car park twiddling my thumbs around 11, but luckily there were already loads of heads knocking about. It was a cool enough day, with a biting breeze, so an extra underlayer was needed. Did my stretches, my warm ups, and went over the plan sitting in the warmth of the car, listening to the magic that is Sunday radio (Joan Burton's love life and her opinions on 70s fashion :eek:). I silenced that, and tried get myself motivated for the race. Must have done something right, I got to the line feeling good. The plan was to take it mile by mile, at 4:45/km pace or quicker, and see how I was feeling at half way. There was some crowd all gathered together before the start line, I was about halfway through, just a row or two behind the sub 75 sign. This augered well. On the last couple of half marathons I did, I ran at some sort of universally-shunned pace, where I was running for 3-4 miles in the middle of the race pretty much on my own. Surely I wouldn't be left on my lonesome this time?

Race starts, and normally I find the first mile or two a little tricky, with my breathing. But this time I felt strong, my form was good, and I just tried make my way through the pack as quickly as possible. First two miles flew by, as I threw the odd cursory glance at the time. I was trying to run on feel. Every time I felt the beginnings of harder breathing (or lazy quick breathing), I focused on it for a few seconds and got some control back. Come the three mile marker, I was confident of making my 76:xx target.
    Splits 1-5 (kms): 4:47; 4:43; 4:43; 4:49; 4:41

The next two miles were a bit of a blur, mainly because I was on autopilot. A water table came up unexpectedly, but I was well hydrated beforehand. If I was going to take water, I'd do it closer to the end. There was a group just ahead of me, with one woman clearly in charge of pacing, so I fell in with them for a while. All feeling easy enough, feeling the effort, but it was registering as manageable. Hit halfway feeling pretty good.

Splits: 6-8 (kms): 4:48; 4:44; 4:41

After halfway, things were looking good, but I didn't want to push too soon, so it was a case of trying to stay a little ahead of the pace, catching up with a runner here, and a runner there, slowly. The beauty of such a big field is that there were no end of useful targets.

Splits: 9-13 (kms): 4:44; 4:40; 4:43; 4:41; 4:36

Last two miles, and a slow hill just after the eight mile marker. Not as hard as I was expecting, and I was able to stay under target pace for it. One the first hill was over, it was time to push on with whatever was left in my legs. Turns out that wasn't much, but I managed to push home, reeling people in until about 300m to go, before holding on as best I could to the end. Big race clock said 77:08, my own clock said 75:53. Really, really pleased.

Splits: 14-16 (kms); 4:40; 4:32; 4:32 + some change.

38:30 5 mile time; 37:23 second split time according to the website. :)

I loved Ballycotton, thanks to all the people who were out at the markers, clapping and cheering, and who were in the town. Great event, and a benchmark which other race organisers would do well to measure themselves against (Clonakilty HM, I'm looking at you :P).

Feb 25th - Mar 3rd | 4 | 58.86 km | 19.18 km | 400.55 km

Feel really good about my training now. P&D called for a recovery session yesterday, which I'll now do tomorrow to loosen the legs out. The 26km LSR with 16km PMP which was schedule for today, I'll do next Sunday instead of the scheduled step-down 19km. All easy/recovery running next week until then.

Great run scriba!! Looked like a great day out down there. Unfortunately though i can't calculate km to miles but the finish time is all that matters. P&D is working well.

Tue 5/3/2013

Week 6, Session 1 P&D 13k gen. aerobic w 10 x 100m strides.

13.37 km in 1:21:06 @ 6:04/km; 11.7km on grass

Did this up in Tory Top, muscles felt a little tight after the weekend's exertions as I plodded along, but nothing of concern. Weather was pretty grim, a stiff breeze and wall of drizzle greeted each lap, and I wasn't sorry to head home after. Leaving the strides until Thursday.

Week (10) P&D wk 6 | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 4th - 10th | 1 | 13.37 km | 32.55 km | 413.92 km

That's enough racing hi jinx now for a while, back to P&D, my grim taskmaster who knows what's best for me... more miles.

I'm already looking ahead at reasonably local races which can be slotted into P&D schedule with the minimum of fuss. Cork running blog's calendar is fierce useful! I'm scheduled to do the second 32km LSR in mid-April, and from the following week on, P&D recommends some tune-up races. I think I'd like to focus on hitting the sessions of that meso-thingy-tron before I do another race. The thinking being, once the second 32 km LSR is done, I can start thinking about the home stretch.

I think I can fit the Great Island 10 miler (21/5/2013) into week 12 without too much hassle. I would love to do Bandon HM (week 15: 11/5/2013) again, but it's on the weekend of the last 32km LSR, and I really don't want to be juggling that around. So I'm going to give that a skip. But there's a 10k the week after, the Emer Casey 10k down in Youghal (Week 16; 19/5/2013). I've never done a 10k before either, which is swaying me. If taper madness takes hold, I can always drop it. :)

So that's it: a race in mid April, and one again in mid May. Hopefully will keep me ticking over, and give me confidence.

Wed 6/3/2013

Week 6, Session 2 P&D 8k recovery

8.7 km in 50:00 @ 5:42/km

Did this on the river walk in Belgooly, in the breeze and rain. Didn't bring my phone with me, so had no way of pacing myself. This was too quick for recovery pace, but then again, I ran the easy run yesterday at recovery pace. So in short, it'll be grand. Legs beginning to work again, some delayed soreness in the quads all right, but nothing to worry about.

Glad to get this done, with the weather, it's going to be a tough week to stay on schedule.

Mar 4th - 10th | 2 | 22.07 km | 41.25 km | 422.62 km

• Advertisement

Friday 8/3/2013

Week 6, Session 3 P&D 13k gen aerobic

13.15 km in 1:24:22 @ 6:25/km; av HR 136

This was a general aerobic run, which was originally scheduled for yesterday. I fitted it in this afternoon, after a late and heavy-ish lunch. It was an opportunity to give the Lidl HRM a run out also. The goal was to try run at a very low rate, regardless of how slowly it took, just to get some data for how hard I'm working while I run. The monitor worked out better than expected to be honest. I'm pretty tired all week, not getting a lot of sleep, and still feeling a little fatigued from racing. Nice easy miles for the rest of the week, next week's a monster. :D

Mar 4th - 10th | 3 | 35.22 km | 54.4 km | 435.77 km

Edit: looking at the HR 136, and the P&D recommended HR % for the different workouts, it seems that my target recovery pace (6:20-6:30/km) is bang on. Now there's a purpose to continuing to run that slow! I'll wear the HM again for the next gen aerobic run and test my proposed pace against my heart rate next week. I don't plan on wearing the HR every session, but intermittently, to check my progress and to review paces.

Advertisement