Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

I used to be on the US version last year .. then cancelled. Have just signed up again to the irish version for a free months trial and not into all the dns crap again.
    So, my question is, can anyone recommend a good series to watch on Netflix ...I have been so busy and am 90% sure I haven't seen any of them.
    Am in the middle of Prison break (not on Netflix) but would like something else to watch that's just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

collegeme wrote: »
    I used to be on the US version last year .. then cancelled. Have just signed up again to the irish version for a free months trial and not into all the dns crap again.
    So, my question is, can anyone recommend a good series to watch on Netflix ...I have been so busy and am 90% sue I haven't seen any of them.
    Am in the middle of Prison break (not on Netflix) but would like something else to watch that's just as good.

Justified

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

One of really great things about BSG is how cinematic it was. Even the best contemporary tv shows, despite their lavish production values, tend to be very stagey in their execution, a consequence of the written word taking priority over the visuals. But Moore gave his directors and actors an enormous amount of creative leeway. As the seasons progressed they started writing shorter scripts because they found themselves frequently deleting whole scenes of dialogue and exposition in order to keep some wordless moment that was improvised on set. In some cases they even expanded single episodes into 2 parters because they had so much footage. This more cinematic approach to television was also reflected in Bear McCreary's fantastic music.

I had serious issues with how it ended, but it was a groundbreaking show.

Without giving anything away to DWD, I was perfectly happy with the ending myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Without giving anything away to DWD, I was perfectly happy with the ending myself.
    Even "God" making Racetrack's dead hand hit off the controls, causing the nukes to fire and destroy the Cylons? Because I find that moment totally unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So, my question is, can anyone recommend a good series to watch on Netflix ...I have been so busy and am 90% sure I haven't seen any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Even "God" making Racetrack's dead hand hit off the controls, causing the nukes to fire and destroy the Cylons? Because I find that moment totally unforgivable.

To be honest, not been religious, I could have done with out all of the religious nonsense in it, having said that it was a decent ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

There is one thing that I found particularly odd about BSG.
    The plotpoint where they colonise New Caprica so Lee gets lazy and fat. It seemed like a really out of place plotpoint to place a fatsuit on him....
    T'is a minor issue. :D

Beefy78 wrote: »

Scrap that ...its saying cannot connect on our ps3

Scrap that ...its saying cannot connect on our ps3

Have you reset the DNS settings since your original trial expired? Otherwise you'll still be trying to connect to the US site.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Have you reset the DNS settings since your original trial expired? Otherwise you'll still be trying to connect to the US site.

Thanks all sorted. Going to finish prison break first...just can't get away from it. I didn't realise it was on netflix.

• Advertisement

Prison Break is pretty addictive and the first year is genuinely brilliant television. The second is pretty good, the third is ridiculously over the top and the final season pulls it back a bit after a terrible start. It's a fun show though.

If you've not seen 24 then watch that next. It's so much better than Prison Break.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭noodler

BSG is my favourite show of all time so delighted more people might give it a go now its on the UK/Irish Netflix.

Just watched Avengers.

Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Corkfeen wrote: »
    There is one thing that I found particularly odd about BSG.
    The plotpoint where they colonise New Caprica so Lee gets lazy and fat. It seemed like a really out of place plotpoint to place a fatsuit on him....
    T'is a minor issue. :D
    It gave us a great Lee/Bill Adama moment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I can't access it on Wii. This is netflix IRL. It just freezes on the red screen. Anyone else having trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Barna77 wrote: »
    I can't access it on Wii. This is netflix IRL. It just freezes on the red screen. Anyone else having trouble?

There was an update a couple of weeks back, didn't seem to improve anything but maybe you need to update?

There was an update a couple of weeks back, didn't seem to improve anything but maybe you need to update?

Yeah, I updated it back then. Seems the housemate has changed some settings and that might be why it didn't work...

Fixed now.

Watched The Avengers yesterday on US Netflix. Annoying that it wouldn't show on the new movies menu and found out about it here. It happened the same with The Hunger Games some weeks ago. I mean, how many new titles you could be missing.

Anyway, it was good fun movie for a lazy hangover Sunday. Coulson's man crush on Captain America :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Separate threads for film & TV

Depends what you're looking for. I assume you're not including comedies in which case I would recommend Dexter, the first season of Heroes, and Firefly (which only has one season unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tribes75

What was wrong with the BSG ending? I watched the whole thing when it was on Sky and loved every minute and even shed a tear.......a manly one,ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

One of really great things about BSG is how cinematic it was. Even the best contemporary tv shows, despite their lavish production values, tend to be very stagey in their execution, a consequence of the written word taking priority over the visuals. But Moore gave his directors and actors an enormous amount of creative leeway. As the seasons progressed they started writing shorter scripts because they found themselves frequently deleting whole scenes of dialogue and exposition in order to keep some wordless moment that was improvised on set. In some cases they even expanded single episodes into 2 parters because they had so much footage. This more cinematic approach to television was also reflected in Bear McCreary's fantastic music.

I had serious issues with how it ended, but it was a groundbreaking show.

Indeed, this is amazing stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

watching hemlock grove,first episode was pretty good but im about half way through it and it does not seem to be going anywhere.is it worth my while to finish the series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm loving American Horror Story on US Netflix. Missed it when it was on TV but catching up now. They one have the 1st season up at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

djkeogh wrote: »
    I'm loving American Horror Story on US Netflix. Missed it when it was on TV but catching up now. They one have the 1st season up at the moment though.

Great show, the second series is excellent too, same actors but totally different setting and characters. And it'll all change again for the upcoming season 3, which is a really cool concept for a show. Jessica Lange is phenomenal in it.

Started watching The Fall on US Netflix. Suprised it's on already. Only two episodes on but so far so good.

And the cop is a ride

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Veronica Mars in on the Swedish Netflix. One of my all time favourites but I'm a bit worried about revisiting it in case it doesn't hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Watched The House at the End of the Street, meh apart from Jennifer Lawrence being in it, also watched End of Watch which I really enjoyed, I'd recommend it if you want to watch a good buddy cop movie/drama. Both on the US netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    watching hemlock grove,first episode was pretty good but im about half way through it and it does not seem to be going anywhere.is it worth my while to finish the series

thats kinda hard to say, i started watching it cause i fancied some light horror, and its at times Twilightish, almost always b-movie esk, trying to create atmosphere in every scene, but ultimately, the acting is generally poor, the story is ropey at the best of times and the ending is easily guessed with 4 episodes left, if not more.

in the end, i enjoyed it for a few of the above reasons, and hated it for others.

give it a go, its was panned by critics but has a good score on netflix, so enough people are liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

yea might as well finish the series,just thought it was going to have more of a twin peaks vibe to it when i first read about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,114 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know how long it's been there, and it's been on the US one for a while, but the absolutely brilliant Holy Motors is buried in the foreign film section on the Irish store, complete with Artificial Eye's amusingly awful cover art (seemingly to trick Kylie Minogue enthusiasts into watching it :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

How did i never come to watch Firefly before now?! Does anyone know if the movie Serendipity appears on Irish Netflix at times? Doesn't seem to be there at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement