Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

The US netflix seems to be acting up again, whenever I go to play something I get the message "This title is not available to watch instantly".

I get that the odd time on my PS3, when I quit out then click in again it's worked fine.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Gave Celeste and Jesse Forever a watch lastnight. It's a sort of rom-com about a couple who divorced but remain best friends. It manages to avoid the usual rom-com tropes for the most part though and Rashida Jones is very good in it (she co-wrote too). Andy Samberg is very likeable in a more serious role than you'd usually associate with him too.

On the canadian site only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Gave Celeste and Jesse Forever a watch lastnight. It's a sort of rom-com about a couple who divorced but remain best friends. It manages to avoid the usual rom-com tropes for the most part though and Rashida Jones is very good in it (she co-wrote too). Andy Samberg is very likeable in a more serious role than you'd usually associate with him too.

On the canadian site only.

Like everyone involved with this but I thought it was a terrible, cloying film.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Completely locked out of the US one now, keep getting diverted back to the Irish one. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys,

Havin a few in tonight, any recommendations on US Netflix ? Horror/Sci Fi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Started watching Orange is the new black a few nights ago, really enjoying it so far!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

HD Baraka and Samsara on Irish Netflix. Non narrative prettiness ahoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Guys,

Havin a few in tonight, any recommendations on US Netflix ? Horror/Sci Fi ?

The original Let The Right One In is on US Netflix.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    My father is currently using NetFlix after some messing around on the part of NTL/Sky regarding his TV, ultimately leading him to cancel them - Surprised at him for taking the internet route given he's largely computer illiterate and he seems to like it thus far :pac:

On a random day I asked him to check if "The Mist" was on the list, really like that film and I figured he might enjoy it, despite not being a big fan of supernatural // horror himself - But even he didn't mind it.

Well, he found it, we all watched it together.

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a solid horror and has two hours to burn - It's nice to see a horror / nay, remake, that focuses mostly on the horror of 'how ordinary people react to a prolonged horrific scenario' as opposed to focusing entirely on said scenario itself, which may be about supernatural creatures and yet they aren't the focus - The real monsters are the ordinary everyday people who change or react different out of desire to survive, really hit home by a gut wrenching ending.

I had seen it twice before and enjoyed it just as much this time around despite not being the most polished film out there - Still very underrated.

Purists of Stephen Kings novel might find a few things to niggle over but ultimately it's a nicely acted horror that does the job.

Go see it if you haven't already and enjoy your horror/thriller focusing on character over gore/monsters. Also recommend it to those who enjoy the actors from the Walking Dead (TV Series) as quite a few of them are here together in this.

We've had this discussion before but the Mist isn't a remake and it's quite unfair to call it one given the negativity that the word attracts these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

RopeDrink wrote: »
    On a random day I asked him to check if "The Mist" was on the list, really like that film and I figured he might enjoy it, despite not being a big fan of supernatural // horror himself - But even he didn't mind it.

Very enjoyable that one, dark ending which I surprised by. Also part of the inspiration for the first Half Life game apparently :cool:
    The developers of the Half-Life video game series, which also deals with creatures from parallel dimensions breaking through to ours, have listed The Mist among their primary influences for the game plot. The first game in the series was originally going to be called Quiver, as a reference to the Arrowhead base from The Mist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist

• Advertisement

HD Baraka and Samsara on Irish Netflix. Non narrative prettiness ahoy!

Baraka is one of my favourites. I saw Samsara in the cinema, better to see it on the big screen if you ever get a chance. Visually incredible, stunning. Watched it again on Netflix tonight, great that it's been added.

The excellent HBO show Rome has been added to the Irish Netflix. Looks like the bbc version, the voice over at the start of the first episode is different, also it's not in HD. Still well worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The excellent HBO show Rome has been added to the Irish Netflix. Looks like the bbc version, the voice over at the start of the first episode is different, also it's not in HD. Still well worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Nice, never did get to watch it. I presume they only managed to get this because it was a joint production with the BBC so we won't be seeing any more HBO stuff. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was watching Samsara last night on my PS3 (an amazing film visually, btw). It was playing in medium HD. I saw it in the cinema, and I know it was shot in super HD. I noticed there was an instant chat help line on my Netflix laptop site, ,so I enquired about this. I got the following reply in my chat:
    "Thing is though we get our titles in different HD quality from our studios, so some titles come in High HD while some comes in medium HD. Not much that we can do to adjust."
    So it may not be Netflix's fault. Or the first thing I would do is go to my TV's settings and check the aspect ratio settings. Or it may be Netflix's fault. But I'd take those factors in to consideration first.

EDIT. Somebody could enquire about this via their instant chat help.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Political Animals staring Sigourney Weaver is on US Netflix. Very enjoyable mini series where she plays a former first lady who is now Secretary Of State. Obviously loosely based on Hillary Clinton but it;s good fun if you are into US political shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Have noticed that the pic quality is really shoddy on some stuff as well. like its a bad transfer. Not that its in a low resolution or anything just full of pixelation and crushed blacks and such, was watching Red Lights the other night, it was streaming at 1080 and any scenes with a lot of black in it it looked appalling. Thor has a terrible transfer on it as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

krudler wrote: »
    Have noticed that the pic quality is really shoddy on some stuff as well. like its a bad transfer. Not that its in a low resolution or anything just full of pixelation and crushed blacks and such, was watching Red Lights the other night, it was streaming at 1080 and any scenes with a lot of black in it it looked appalling. Thor has a terrible transfer on it as well.

That's compression. You would get the same thing on a 1080p download from iTunes. Or a Blu-ray rip for that matter.

This is part of my scepticism about 4k content. Resolution isn't everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Anybody using the US Netflix through their PS3? Has it been playing up lately? I'm getting loads of "this title is not available to watch instantly" the last few days.

Anybody using the US Netflix through their PS3? Has it been playing up lately? I'm getting loads of "this title is not available to watch instantly" the last few days.

I've got that a few times lately on my PS3. Quitting out of Netflix then going back in to it has worked for me.

• Advertisement

Apparently they are starting to block all the dns codes people are using to get into the american version. I've been getting that same message, quitting out and starting it up again just diverts me back to the irish version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Apparently they are starting to block all the dns codes people are using to get into the american version. I've been getting that same message, quitting out and starting it up again just diverts me back to the irish version.

Yeah that's what happened to me last night. Quit and when I started it up again I had Irish Netflix.

Lawless is on the Irish site now. It's not as good as I expected it would be considering who's behind it but it's still a pretty solid film. Expendables 2 also up there but I thought that was pretty poor.

I see there's a documentary about Firefly added too called "Done the Impossible". Anyone know if it's worth watching?

Taffin is also on there now too. THE GREATEST IRISH FILM EVER MADE.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »

Season 8 of Its always sunny in Philadelphia has been added to the irish netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

backdraft is a good film .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

For any fans of the excellent LCD Soundsystem, "Shut Up and Play The Hits" is on US Flix.

For any fans of the excellent LCD Soundsystem, "Shut Up and Play The Hits" is on US Flix.

Was lucky enough to catch that in the cinema, well worth a watch. Must get the blu ray as it apparently has the whole gig on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Netflix adding Breaking Bad week by week from August 12th (day after States)

Will try my best to wait a few weeks to let the episodes build up first - too hard to go back to a "episode a week model"!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement