Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wasn't his first Netflix film the most watched film in Netflix history? There's always been a market for bad movies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    Wasn't his first Netflix film the most watched film in Netflix history? There's always been a market for bad movies.

Yeah, I get that people will watch it but I find it hard to believe there are people who never signed up for Netflix who will do it now just off the back of Adam Sandler films. Or at least not in such great numbers that it's making them serious money. Maybe I'm giving mankind too much credit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, I get that people will watch it but I find it hard to believe there are people who never signed up for Netflix who will do it now just off the back of Adam Sandler films. Or at least not in such great numbers that it's making them serious money. Maybe I'm giving mankind too much credit there.

I think you seem to be - sadly the majority of human beings are complete idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I like Adam Sandler films but the last few he has made havent been great, Don't mess with the Zohan is hilarious and Jack n Jill is pretty good aswell.

It's a damn smart move by Netflix. Let's be honest, Sandler movies make lots of money. Generally they reach the top of the box offices (or at least near enough to it) of many zones they're released in. If Netflix can even make a fraction of the amount that they make in the box office in subscriptions, then they'll make a lot over the course of 8 movies.

I personally don't think that Sandler has made anything good since the 90s, but if one Sandler movie pays for the likes of Stranger Things, then I hope they release dozens more.

Edit:

Here's a summary of Sandler movies in the box office. Most make between $40m-130m.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=adamsandler.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I personally don't think that Sandler has made anything good since the 90s,

Except Punch Drunk Love, which remains (by my count) his one and only film with any significant cinematic value :)

Except Punch Drunk Love, which remains (by my count) his one and only film with any significant cinematic value :)

I constantly forget about Punch Drunk Love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

fin12 wrote: »
    I like Adam Sandler films but the last few he has made havent been great, Don't mess with the Zohan is hilarious and Jack n Jill is pretty good aswell.

Don't mess with the zohan
    Little Nicky
    The Waterboy
    Happy Gilmore
    Big Daddy
    Mr Deeds

All decent comedies. I think people hate him because its the fashion to hate him. If people aren't fans why would they continue watching his movies ? And if they don't watch them how would they care enough to be annoyed by them? He's got some **** movies but everyone has **** movies.

You go to reddit you'd be called an idiot for liking don't mess with the zohan. Americans in general seem to think that's the prime example of why Sandler is ****.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Don't mess with the zohan
    Little Nicky
    The Waterboy
    Happy Gilmore
    Big Daddy
    Mr Deeds

All decent comedies. I think people hate him because its the fashion to hate him. If people aren't fans why would they continue watching his movies ? And if they don't watch them how would they care enough to be annoyed by them? He's got some **** movies but everyone has **** movies.

You go to reddit you'd be called an idiot for liking don't mess with the zohan. Americans in general seem to think that's the prime example of why Sandler is ****.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Ya also I really like I now Pronounce you chuck and Larry.

It's a damn smart move by Netflix. Let's be honest, Sandler movies make lots of money. Generally they reach the top of the box offices (or at least near enough to it) of many zones they're released in. If Netflix can even make a fraction of the amount that they make in the box office in subscriptions, then they'll make a lot over the course of 8 movies.

I personally don't think that Sandler has made anything good since the 90s, but if one Sandler movie pays for the likes of Stranger Things, then I hope they release dozens more.

Edit:

Here's a summary of Sandler movies in the box office. Most make between $40m-130m.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=adamsandler.htm

I suppose if people are willing to hand over the price of a cinema ticket to see one Adam Sandler film they'll pay a Netflix subscription to see 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

It's not solely about new customers either. Customer retention is just as important.

Also if people are like me, a lot of times I will just stick on a film from Netflix just for the sake of having something on. And Sandler is perfect for this sort of thing. I'm never going to go out of my way to watch his newer films but if they're there and I've already paid for the subscription, I'll throw it on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Adam Sandler's stuff is pretty awful, but ya don't have to watch it.

Btw, can't link at the mo, but Netflix are ditching the star rating system in favour of a thumbs up and thumbs down system. They say that what people rate as 4 or 5 stars, isn't necessarily the stuff the enjoy watching. Which leads you to the idea that they know Sandler films ate more popular that people like to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Think the new rating system is partly due to recent active campaigns to "one-star" content from certain artists. So celebs who have spoken out against Trump might have their new movies, specials etc down-voted by the hordes on /r/ The_Donald for example.

scouttio wrote: »
    It's not solely about new customers either. Customer retention is just as important.

Also if people are like me, a lot of times I will just stick on a film from Netflix just for the sake of having something on. And Sandler is perfect for this sort of thing. I'm never going to go out of my way to watch his newer films but if they're there and I've already paid for the subscription, I'll throw it on

Yeah, but Netflix don't make money based on streaming figures, do they? I mean it's not like if a million people stream one film they make the same as if a million people went to the cinema to see it. Right?

I just can't get my head around how these kind of deals make them money. I mean, if they had a deal with Disney to stream all the new Star Wars films exclusively I could see how that would attract people who had never subscribed in large enough numbers to make it worth their while.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Netflix are watching whatever numbers they watch and there are actually a large number of people signing up to Netflix and only watching Adam Sandler's films.

I'm not trying to have a go at Sandler specifically, although I am not a fan, or at anyone here who does like him, or watch his films out of idle curiosity, I'm just trying to get my head around how they whole business works.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's a bit like Mrs Brown Boys. Some don't find it funny, critics bash it but it's ultimately very popular. Adam Sandler has an audience who love his stuff and Netflix want to have a share of that audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Added this to my list - http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5155780/?ref_=m_nmfmd_act_6 , The Discovery with Rooney Mara and Robert Redford.

Looks very interesting! Out on Netflix Ireland next Friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, but Netflix don't make money based on streaming figures, do they? I mean it's not like if a million people stream one film they make the same as if a million people went to the cinema to see it. Right?

I just can't get my head around how these kind of deals make them money. I mean, if they had a deal with Disney to stream all the new Star Wars films exclusively I could see how that would attract people who had never subscribed in large enough numbers to make it worth their while.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Netflix are watching whatever numbers they watch and there are actually a large number of people signing up to Netflix and only watching Adam Sandler's films.

I'm not trying to have a go at Sandler specifically, although I am not a fan, or at anyone here who does like him, or watch his films out of idle curiosity, I'm just trying to get my head around how they whole business works.

Movies for most Netflix subscribers are just something to watch in-between seasons of binge watch shows. Netflix need a varied selection of movies in their catalogue to appeal to all audiences. People watch Adam Sandler movies. I suspect mostly groups of guys while drinking beer and hanging out for whom the quality of the film doesn't matter. But why people watch them is irrelevant to Netflix, all that matters is that they do. So they did the math and decided it was cheaper to make the movies themselves than to license them.

Movies for most Netflix subscribers are just something to watch in-between seasons of binge watch shows. Netflix need a varied selection of movies in their catalogue to appeal to all audiences. People watch Adam Sandler movies. I suspect mostly groups of guys while drinking beer and hanging out for whom the quality of the film doesn't matter. But why people watch them is irrelevant to Netflix, all that matters is that they do. So they did the math and decided it was cheaper to make the movies themselves than to license them.

But by this logic Adam Sandler isn't making Netflix money. People are subscribing to watch TV shows and are just watching Sandler films to kill a few hours.

Unless the idea is that the Sandler films will retain their subscriptions while they wait for the next season of whatever it is they've been binge watching.

Obviously something about the deal works for Netflix so it doesn't really matter if I understand it or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I got Sky in, with all the box-stuff & T.V they had I thought about dumping Netflix. It was the Marvel shows, Kimmy & Bright (Will Smith film) coming soon that kept be from dumping it. I wish they had more films and recent films on selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Reign over me is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

Prohibition is excellent imo.

But by this logic Adam Sandler isn't making Netflix money. People are subscribing to watch TV shows and are just watching Sandler films to kill a few hours.

Unless the idea is that the Sandler films will retain their subscriptions while they wait for the next season of whatever it is they've been binge watching.

Obviously something about the deal works for Netflix so it doesn't really matter if I understand it or not :)

Look, people watch Adam Sandler movies. God knows why, but they do. Netflix want a varied catalogue with something to appeal to everyone, including Adam Sandler audiences. So rather than license them from someone else, which is very expensive and getting more expensive, they decide to make them themselves because they are cheap and cost nothing to market ("Adam Sandler is in it").

Technically, no individual show or movie makes Netflix money. Like with broadcast tv, they are selling a package. Getting people to sign up isn't difficult - free trials, etc. It's keeping them that's the problem. Exclusive content does that, especially multiple seasons of binge watch shows. Movies have a place as well, but not a major one as they are once-off viewings for most people.

What's special about Sandler is that his movies are almost a sub-genre in themselves. Netflix can set the next one to auto-play and be pretty confident that if you sat through the first one you'll probably sit through the second one too. The more time people spend watching Netflix the less likely they are to cancel.

I just watched the trailer for the new Adam Sandler film and it looks absolutely sh1te, why has his films got so sh*t? How has he gone from Don't mess the Zohan to this crap and the ranch one last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

fin12 wrote: »
    I just watched the trailer for the new Adam Sandler film and it looks absolutely sh1te, why has his films got so sh*t? How has he gone from Don't mess the Zohan to this crap and the ranch one last year?

Because he doesn't care, he has said so publicly.

He takes scripts just so he can travel to nice places, joke around with friends (he does movies with the same people over and over), earns tons of money,...
    And if you look at what his movies earn, people seem to like it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/adam-sandler-confirms-his-movies-are-just-paid-vac-204952

I've been watching a few episodes of Hinterland this afternoon.

It's a Welsh police detective murder thingy set in Aberystwyth. I had recorded the first series off BBC4 a year or so back but never got around to watching it before my DVR died and I lost the recordings. I was under the impression it was a Welsh language show, or at least partly Welsh, partly English. It seems the Netflix version is entirely in English, not that it matters, I suppose.

Anyway, first episode was really good. Second one wasn't quite as interesting but I still want to watch the rest. It says there's only one series on Netflix but they've squished each two parter into one long episode. So it's actually S1 and S2 that are there.

I very nearly went to Uni in Aberystwyth, looks pretty grey and dull here, makes me glad I stayed home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

neonsofa wrote: »
    I didn't know who this is and so I Googled this person and I am none the wiser :o I'm gonna take it as a compliment regardless of your intent :pac:

He's an Irish guy who doesn't get the appeal of The Big Lebowski and gets into a debate about it. Sorry, it's a pretty specific reference, but I recommend the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Watched Amanda Knox last night, if you liked Making a Murderer, you'll like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

Wedwood wrote:
    Watched Amanda Knox last night, if you liked Making a Murderer, you'll like this.

Only difference is she actually committed the crime 😂

Slow West is leaving Netflix on the 30th of March. If you haven't seen it yet I'd recommend it quite highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Watched young offenders on Sat evening, well worth a watch. Enjoyable, plenty of laughs and a good pace to it overall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement