Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just seen a clip for....

13 Reasons why.

Looks interesting, I've added to my watch list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

den87 wrote: »
    Very strange. I saw the "New Episodes" logo on the Line of Duty icon on Friday and then checked today and its gone.

I got an email from Netflix apologising of a notification that there was new episodes announced.

It was a mistake of nature and they don't know when it will be available.

There was load of BBC content due to expire tomorrow but it seems to have been renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Struggling a little bit with Iron Fist - I'm halfway through it. The lead is a bit weak and the fights just aren't very well handled. I find the whitewashing argument that's been bandied about to be complete nonsense.

It was a ridiculous "controversy".

Danny Rand was a white guy in the comics and no one was complaining he is a white guy in the Spiderman cartoon.

The true "racism" in all of that was the people who thought he should be Asian because he does martial arts.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

Separate threads for film & TV
    Watched the Amy Schumer special a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭splashthecash

tigger123 wrote: »
    Watched the Amy Schumer special a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

I watched it for about 15/20 minutes and had to turn it off...unfortunately I can't give it 1 star unless I watch it through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I watched it for about 15/20 minutes and had to turn it off...unfortunately I can't give it 1 star unless I watch it through

C777hKvUwAAn5Tr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

C777hKvUwAAn5Tr.jpg

Wow, that's incredibly petty…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

What it is about her that those alt-right f*cktards feel so offended by?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Wow, that's incredibly petty…

I think it's funny tbh.

Im not offended by her, I just don't think she's a very funny comedian, I'm far from alt-right tho, f*ucktard is up for debate😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

She's a woman. That seems to be the size of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I think the "alt right f*ck tards" (if they exist) are probably offended by the sheer fact she's female and says the word vagina.

But we heard the same crap about Ghostbusters. All the bad reviews were coming from alt right tards, internet trolls, misogynists etc. All to avoid accepting the fact that the movie was absolute muck.

I think with Schumer it's overblown, all these people who go on about it are just people looking for excuses to be hateful and nasty. But from what I've seen of her comedy she's a pretty bad comedian so she's kinda famous now for one section hating her while another pretend she's better than she is to counteract it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the "alt right f*ck tards" (if they exist) are probably offended by the sheer fact she's female and says the word vagina.

But we heard the same crap about Ghostbusters. All the bad reviews were coming from alt right tards, internet trolls, misogynists etc. All to avoid accepting the fact that the movie was absolute muck.

I think with Schumer it's overblown, all these people who go on about it are just people looking for excuses to be hateful and nasty. But from what I've seen of her comedy she's a pretty bad comedian so she's kinda famous now for one section hating her while another pretend she's better than she is to counteract it.

The alt-right exist, that much is known and demonstrable. And they're not exactly known for having an abundance of self-deprecation and warm humour, so it's easy to see & understand how this loose affiliation of hate-mongers tend to pile in on a target de jour, especially someone as ostensibly & aggressively 'liberal' as Schumer.

As for Schumer herself, obviously when it comes to a comedian opinions are just that - opinions. Plenty of people find her funny, plenty like yourself, the opposite; that's comedy for ye. I don't care for her myself but I just don't like that particular style of stand-up and leave it at that. It's reductionist though to suggest the negative bile thrown at her (or Ghostbusters for that matter) is simply a smoke-screen to distract from some absolute lack of talent lest she be found out, or that there can't be anything more insidious behind it. I mean, it can be all those things at the same time; I'm sure Sony loved the distraction of those campaigns by the online bullies and trolls, but those campaigns still happened & continue to happen in a broader sense.

This clearly sums it up for me, If these "f*cktards" just ignored her and didn't post nasty stuff about her, Schumer probably wouldn't be as popular.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This clearly sums it up for me, If these "f*cktards" just ignored her and didn't post nasty stuff about her, Schumer probably wouldn't be as popular.

Except she became hugely popular first, then they started going after her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't think there's a side pretending she's better than she is to counteract the trolls. There is plenty of awful stuff that's popular; The Big Bang Theory and Two And a Half Men are two that spring to mind for me in the comedy world. There's no accounting for tastes but some of us seem to be able to not go out and graffiti advertising or orchestrate online campaigns against these artists in order to counteract their popularity.

Except she became hugely popular first, then they started going after her.

Well it certainly has done her no harm career wise.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I don't think there's a side pretending she's better than she is to counteract the trolls. There is plenty of awful stuff that's popular; The Big Bang Theory and Two And a Half Men are two that spring to mind for me in the comedy world. There's no accounting for tastes but some of us seem to be able to not go out and graffiti advertising or orchestrate online campaigns against these artists in order to counteract their popularity.

There's no excuse for attacking her online those people need to get a life, but that graffiti was just a joke don't see any harm in it myself, they were probably already doing graffiti when the billboard gave them an opportunity to poke some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Do we know who actually put the stars on the bench?

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be her publicity team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

they were probably already doing graffiti when the billboard gave them an opportunity to poke some fun.
    Do we know who actually put the stars on the bench?

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be her publicity team.

It's a very specific stencil they have with them anyway.

• Advertisement

It's a very specific stencil they have with them anyway.

You could make it out of a piece of cardboard in a couple of minutes tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They didn't make yellow spray paint out of a bit of cardboard.

Obviously, what's your point?

Obviously, what's your point?

I thought you were implying that they may well have made their stencil up on the spur of the moment. Apologies if that was not the case.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hardly a controlled substance though, it wouldn't be hard for anyone to make a star stencil and get some spray paint if they wanted to. I mean, it *could* be a guerrilla marketing campaign, but it could also be the work of a bored teen or twenty something with a few minutes to kill...

Meh, already explained where I was coming from.

I thought you were implying that they may well have made their stencil up on the spur of the moment. Apologies if that was not the case.

That's cool, my point was that they may have already been doing graffiti when the billboard presented an easy opportunity to have a bit of fun.

That's cool, my point was that they may have already been doing graffiti when the billboard presented an easy opportunity to have a bit of fun.

That's fair actually. Hadn't thought of that.

Forgot to say, I got round to watching Ex-Machina last night after the recommendations here. Funnily enough, the name didn't ring a bell with me at all, but when I looked it up on Netflix I immediately thought "Oh yeah, the cyborg one with Domhnall Gleeson". :o Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Alicia Vikander is rather good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Besides not being funny, Amy Schumer is a joke stealing plagiarist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd sincerely doubt that. If it was anyone else I'd might be inclined to think that by she's a massive target of hate for the alt right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement