Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Separate threads for film & TV
    I've been watching a few episodes of Hinterland this afternoon.

It's a Welsh police detective murder thingy set in Aberystwyth. I had recorded the first series off BBC4 a year or so back but never got around to watching it before my DVR died and I lost the recordings. I was under the impression it was a Welsh language show, or at least partly Welsh, partly English. It seems the Netflix version is entirely in English, not that it matters, I suppose.

Anyway, first episode was really good. Second one wasn't quite as interesting but I still want to watch the rest. It says there's only one series on Netflix but they've squished each two parter into one long episode. So it's actually S1 and S2 that are there.

I very nearly went to Uni in Aberystwyth, looks pretty grey and dull here, makes me glad I stayed home :)

It's stunning in Aberystwyth, one of the nicest bits of Wales and an excellent university. My Neice went there and loved every minute.

Hinterland on Netflix is good, but the English/Welsh version BBC Wales showed, and afaik BBC 4 showed, is better imo. Fyi, they filmed an all Welsh version for S4C, dual language for BBC (Most interaction amongst characters other than Mathias are in Welsh) and all English for international market.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's stunning in Aberystwyth, one of the nicest bits of Wales and an excellent university. My Neice went there and loved every minute.

Hinterland on Netflix is good, but the English/Welsh version BBC Wales showed, and afaik BBC 4 showed, is better imo. Fyi, they filmed an all Welsh version for S4C, dual language for BBC (Most interaction amongst characters other than Mathias are in Welsh) and all English for international market.

Yeah, I figured that was how they did it. It strikes me as odd that they would go with the all English version on Netflix. I mean subtitled drama is all the rage and I'm sure it wouldn't have been that hard to get Welsh translated if there's subtitled and English versions already available.

I was joking about Aberystwyth. I looked into it seriously before deciding on college and it is a lovely spot. They just don't sell it that well here, or at least in the first two episodes.

Yeah, I figured that was how they did it. It strikes me as odd that they would go with the all English version on Netflix. I mean subtitled drama is all the rage and I'm sure it wouldn't have been that hard to get Welsh translated if there's subtitled and English versions already available.

I was joking about Aberystwyth. I looked into it seriously before deciding on college and it is a lovely spot. They just don't sell it that well here, or at least in the first two episodes.

No you're right, they do grim, very well. :)

I think it's a shame they chose the version they did too. I thought the bilingual version added another dimension to it, and it was ready to go, subtitled, actually think I saw an episode of the all Welsh on S4C that even had English subs, so they're definitely out there. Bilingual version put him even more as the fish out of water.

No you're right, they do grim, very well. :)

I think it's a shame they chose the version they did too. I thought the bilingual version added another dimension to it, and it was ready to go, subtitled, actually think I saw an episode of the all Welsh on S4C that even had English subs, so they're definitely out there. Bilingual version put him even more as the fish out of water.

According to the BBC website there's a new 3rd series airing on BBC Wales in April. Hopefully they'll show it on BBC 4 not long after and I can get the full Welsh language experience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,501 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Avengers: Age of Ultron added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

The Neon Demon and Magnificent seven 2016 version supposed to be arriving sometime next month according to vodzilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The second exotic Marygold hotel added.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I also watched The Nice Guys last night, really great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

precinct seven five , what a doc, incredible story of bent cops in new york

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Slow West is leaving Netflix on the 30th of March. If you haven't seen it yet I'd recommend it quite highly.

Thanks for the warning.

I've been wanting to watch that for ages but something keeps getting in the way. Going to watch it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Think the new rating system is partly due to recent active campaigns to "one-star" content from certain artists. So celebs who have spoken out against Trump might have their new movies, specials etc down-voted by the hordes on /r/ The_Donald for example.

Was that really a thing? People giving movies one star because of some actors politcal comments?

How does thumb up/down make such a situation any better?

A rating system like that means I can only love a movie or hate it. The star system allows for more accurate information from genuine viewers and thumbs make no impact on people voting just to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Was that really a thing? People giving movies one star because of some actors politcal comments?

Did you miss the whole Ghostbusters thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

How does thumb up/down make such a situation any better?

A rating system like that means I can only love a movie or hate it. The star system allows for more accurate information from genuine viewers and thumbs make no impact on people voting just to hate.

Thought it was more an easy excuse. Right off the poor rating to trolls, as opposed to considering for instance, that the latest Amy Schumer special was just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Think the new rating system is partly due to recent active campaigns to "one-star" content from certain artists. So celebs who have spoken out against Trump might have their new movies, specials etc down-voted by the hordes on /r/ The_Donald for example.

But I thought the rating systems was individual to people, for instance Netflix gave Iron Fist a suggested rating of 5 stars for me based on ratings I've given shows I watched. I assumed that someone else could have gotten a suggested rating of two stars based on their ratings. I always thought that's how the algorithm worked; hence different contents shows up for different people based on what Netflix thinks they'll like. :confused:

Alt-right goons vote Amy Schumer special down on Netflix
    Alt-right nuts on Reddit, The Leather Special, the latest standup video by Amy Schumer, has been depressed to a one-star rating on Netflix. This is most unusual for such a high-profile Netflix original. Schumer has a big following and many are in the key Netflix demographics. “Maybe the show is just awful,” you say. Well, I’ll be honest and say that it wasn’t much to my taste. But don’t heed that. Heed this. Iron Fist, a show already notorious for its poor reception, registers four and a half stars on the streaming service. That superhero series scores 37 percent on Metacritic, whereas The Leather Special knocks up a very decent 72 percent. Obviously these statistics are not scientifically watertight. But there is certainly a sense that something peculiar is going on here.

The good people at the comedy website Splitsider have looked deeper into this and — surprise, surprise! — have found a campaign by right-wing nuts against the video. Such intemperate souls don’t have much time for female comedy and they are particularly unhappy with Schumer. Not only has she spoken out against Trump, she is the second cousin once removed (I think have that right) to senate minority leader Chuck Schumer. Splitsider discovered campaign on the @TheDonaldReddit aimed at voting down The Leather Special. “To those that still have Netflix; Netflix just added a new Amy Schumer special, please go and 1 star that piece of ****,” one argued. “Amy ’1 Star’ Schumer has a new Netflix special. You know what to do,” another bellowed.

Well I'd give her 1 star as I don't find her funny and Iron Fist 4 stars I must be an alt-Right goon/nut so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Alt-right goons vote Amy Schumer special down on Netflix

Well I'd give her 1 star as I don't find her funny and Iron Fist 4 stars I must be an alt-Right goon/nut so.

Struggling a little bit with Iron Fist - I'm halfway through it. The lead is a bit weak and the fights just aren't very well handled. I find the whitewashing argument that's been bandied about to be complete nonsense.

I gave up on the Amy Schumer special as I didn't find it particularly funny. I had her CD and I thought that was pretty hit and miss too though. Her political views wouldn't make any difference to me. If you're looking for comedy specials on Netflix there's definitely much better ones on there.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But I thought the rating systems was individual to people, for instance Netflix gave Iron Fist a suggested rating of 5 stars for me based on ratings I've given shows I watched. I assumed that someone else could have gotten a suggested rating of two stars based on their ratings. I always thought that's how the algorithm worked; hence different contents shows up for different people based on what Netflix thinks they'll like. :confused:

Yeah, I'm sure I read that somewhere too, that the star rating is based on how you rate other films/tv shows.

Struggling a little bit with Iron Fist - I'm halfway through it. The lead is a bit weak and the fights just aren't very well handled. I find the whitewashing argument that's been bandied about to be complete nonsense.

I gave up on the Amy Schumer special as I didn't find it particularly funny. I had her CD and I thought that was pretty hit and miss too though. Her political views wouldn't make any difference to me. If you're looking for comedy specials on Netflix there's definitely much better ones on there.

I enjoyed Iron Fist I think the other three Defenders shows were a lot darker and more gritty that Iron Fist being a bit more lighter entertainment and so it looks a bit out of place in that universe.

The whole whitewashing I think the new Oscars so white way of kicking at Hollywood.

The whole whitewashing I think the new Oscars so white way of kicking at Hollywood.

While I think it's understandable people get annoyed about the lack of representation in film and TV, and particularly when they cast a white person in a role not written for a white person, isn't the Iron Fist character white in the comics? It's not like casting Scarlet Johanson in Ghost in the Shell or Emma Stone as a half Asian character in Aloha.

That said, the people involved in the show haven't covered themselves in glory when responding to the criticisms.

As far as the reviews go I'd imagine there's a saturation point with these shows, same as the films. Eventually the novelty wears off and people start to see the problems with writing, plot, characters etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I enjoyed Iron Fist I think the other three Defenders shows were a lot darker and more gritty that Iron Fist being a bit more lighter entertainment and so it looks a bit out of place in that universe.

I'd agree with you on Amy Schumer, she gets a laugh out of me for maybe a quarter of her jokes, which makes the specials drag somewhat.

Iron Fist - I'm enjoying it, the only issue I have with it is how completely clueless danny rand appears to be at times, its the strangest origin story ever.
    I'm still finding it better than Luke Cage, I didnt really enjoy that as all. For me daredevil is a solid 9/10, iron fist 7/10, jessica jones 6/10 and luke cage 4/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think Jessica Jones wees all over Iron Fist, and no, that's not another Trump reference... I just found Iron Fist to be shockingly bad. Neither were anywhere near DareDevil quality though, especially season 1.

Anyway, can anyone recommend some good sci-fi movies from the past couple of years, that are on Netflix Ireland?

Anyway, can anyone recommend some good sci-fi movies from the past couple of years, that are on Netflix Ireland?

Ex Machina is good if you haven't seen it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think Jessica Jones wees all over Iron Fist, and no, that's not another Trump reference... I just found Iron Fist to be shockingly bad. Neither were anywhere near DareDevil quality though, especially season 1.

I totally lost interest in Daredevil midway through the second season after loving the first season. Jessica Jones I've tried a couple of times and just never got into.

Ex Machina as mentioned above. Under the Skin is excellent. Coherence, Spectral and Arq are all decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

FunLover18 wrote: »

The algorithm is only partly based on your own ratings. It also takes into account what other people have rated a film or show. It has also always had trouble with movies that have lots of fives and lots of ones with, that is movies that people tend to either love or hate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/magazine/23Netflix-t.html

Anyway, the brigading is only partly why the are moving to the new system.
    Ex Machina is good if you haven't seen it yet.

It comes and goes from the catalogue but if Coherence is there give it a look.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've avoided it long enough, but it finally happened to me for the first time: had one episode of The Musketeers left, the very final episode of the show in fact, then Netflix yanked all of the last season from the service (it only appeared a month or so back too). Keep meaning to message them but the closed door policy's an infuriating aspect of the set up

S3 has reappeared today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

S3 has reappeared today.

Oh, nice one; thanks for spotting that ELMO, much appreciated :) Better get that last episode watched then before Netflix changes again!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Line of Duty. Watched the first episode of season 3, the second was loading, froze and now season 3 is gone!? Can anyone else see it still there?
    Just got an e-mail today from Netflix apologising for the error:

Dear Ixoy,
    Recently, we sent you a notification announcing the arrival of Line of Duty Season 3 on Netflix. Unfortunately this was incorrect, and Line of Duty Season 3 is not yet available. We are unable to provide a date for when Line of Duty Season 3 will be available. Please accept our sincere apologies for the error.
    – The Netflix Team

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

This is every bit as ridiculous as it sounds and yet somehow it's also maybe the best P&P adaptation I've seen. It manages to keep all the integral parts of the original source material and throw in a zombie apocalypse story line too. There's plenty of heaving chests and a few shots of knives being placed in lacy garters but it still manages to do a decent job of painting the Bennett sisters with strength, both in character and literal bad ass fighting skills. There's also a fair splashing of humour, Matt Smith doing most of that, and it's all a bit tongue in cheek, never too serious but never too silly either.

Surprisingly enjoyable take on an old classic. Two very enthusiastic thumbs us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

To join The Young Offenders debate......funny film - like!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

ixoy wrote: »
    Just got an e-mail today from Netflix apologising for the error:

Dear Ixoy,
    Recently, we sent you a notification announcing the arrival of Line of Duty Season 3 on Netflix. Unfortunately this was incorrect, and Line of Duty Season 3 is not yet available. We are unable to provide a date for when Line of Duty Season 3 will be available. Please accept our sincere apologies for the error.
    – The Netflix Team

Very strange. I saw the "New Episodes" logo on the Line of Duty icon on Friday and then checked today and its gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement