Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Separate threads for film & TV
    The Good Lie, a film about Sudanese refugees moving to America, is well worth a watch if only to make you count your blessings you were born in Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Just watched I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore. Very enjoyable film, doesn't drag at all for a first work (by Macon Blair, the star of Blue Ruin).

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Sadece Sen - Turkish movie added last week.
    An ex-boxer falls in love with a blind woman and starts to build a new life, but his violent past returns to endanger them both.

Mightn't be everyone cup of tea but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Watched Andy Whitfield , Spartucus actor documentary, very sad. He had so much to live for and had a great career ahead of him. It's horrible when you see really evil nasty individuals live to a very old age and someone like Andy then dying so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

fin12 wrote: »
    Watched Andy Whitfield , Spartucus actor documentary, very sad. He had so much to live for and had a great career ahead of him. It's horrible when you see really evil nasty individuals live to a very old age and someone like Andy then dying so young.

I was watching Spartacus at the time of his battles and his death came as a real shock.

Everything up until his death seemed to be positive. Thought and hoped he was going to beat cancer. Very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 PooArse

'Short term 12' not sure if its still on the Irish Netflix but fantastic indie film!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Giving up on 12 Monkeys after getting half way through. Too much jumping back and forth through time can really feck your head!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Giving up on 12 Monkeys after getting half way through. Too much jumping back and forth through time can really feck your head!!!

I think it's worth sticking with. It gets really interesting by the end of the season and season 2 is very good as well.

Watched Young Offenders and really enjoyed it. Two 15 year olds from Cork, Conor and his bike thief best friend Jock, travel to the coast to try and get their hands on one of the bales of cocaine that have started to wash up on shore after the infamous drugs bust off the Cork coastline in 2007. Great turn from the two young leads with a fantastic supporting cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Felt the same way.

I have stuck with it though and with two Eps left feel it has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mystery science theater 3000 (i think its 20 old eps leading up to the new ones ) woo hoo
    the nice guys
    notes on blindness
    added today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I really enjoyed it and Season 2 is better. The time travel causality is actually some of the best I've seen on screen. In Season 2 in particular it's very satisfying how all the plot threads get tied up - you've a definite feeling they have a plan (a proper plan, and not a Cylon "plan").

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ixoy wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it and Season 2 is better. The time travel causality is actually some of the best I've seen on screen. In Season 2 in particular it's very satisfying how all the plot threads get tied up - you've a definite feeling they have a plan (a proper plan, and not a Cylon "plan").

Cylon plan was a little simpler.

Its obviously got nothing on BSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

40 year old virgin
    the big lebowski
    mama mia
    mash
    sixteen candles
    added today

• Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A film called "burning sands" is meant to have been added, seems interesting
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/10/burning-sands-review-hazing-black-fraternity

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Finally got around to watching The Final Girls

Max's mother was an actress in the 80's, her most famous film being a teen slasher film called Camp Bloodbath. Three years after her death Max and her friends find themselves transported into the film. Stick with me now....

Really entertaining take on the classic slasher/horror pics of the 80's and 90's. It's quite tongue in cheek but is more of an homage to these films than a spoof. There's also a nice little mother/daughter story in the middle of it and some awesome shots, the whole slo-mo sequence in particular made me go "ooooooooooh". I'm not that into horror films but I think if you are there's probably a lot of little nods to other films in here that you'd get. With next to no horror/slasher knowledge I still found it very enjoyable with some genuine laughs and clever use of the idea of being inside a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭fluke

Finally got around to watching The Final Girls

Max's mother was an actress in the 80's, her most famous film being a teen slasher film called Camp Bloodbath. Three years after her death Max and her friends find themselves transported into the film. Stick with me now....

Really entertaining take on the classic slasher/horror pics of the 80's and 90's. It's quite tongue in cheek but is more of an homage to these films than a spoof. There's also a nice little mother/daughter story in the middle of it and some awesome shots, the whole slo-mo sequence in particular made me go "ooooooooooh". I'm not that into horror films but I think if you are there's probably a lot of little nods to other films in here that you'd get. With next to no horror/slasher knowledge I still found it very enjoyable with some genuine laughs and clever use of the idea of being inside a film.

Oddly enough this was the first movie in a while that made me tear up.

fluke wrote: »
    Oddly enough this was the first movie in a while that made me tear up.

Saddest striptease to Bette Davis Eyes I've ever seen.

Apparently the guy who wrote it came up with the idea originally following the death of his own father who played a priest in The Exorcist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Housebound is back on Netflix and definitely worth checking out.

It's a dark comedy from New Zealand so those of you wanting to find something along the lines of Hunt For The Wilderpeople and What We Do In The Shadows, this comes close...

Housebound is back on Netflix and definitely worth checking out.

It's a dark comedy from New Zealand so those of you wanting to find something along the lines of Hunt For The Wilderpeople and What We Do In The Shadows, this comes close...

Speaking of Wilderpeople, I watched it tonight and I was kind of disappointed with it. All the rave reviews it's gotten I was expecting something more. It felt overly long and to be honest I'd rank it behind Boy and What We Do In The Shadows when it comes to Taika Waititi's films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Speaking of Wilderpeople, I watched it tonight and I was kind of disappointed with it. All the rave reviews it's gotten I was expecting something more. It felt overly long and to be honest I'd rank it behind Boy and What We Do In The Shadows when it comes to Taika Waititi's films.

Thought it was not overrated myself actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Housebound is great fun. Sort of comedy horror bordering on spoofing the horror genre. In a nutshell a teenage girl is under house arrest and she starts to hear and experience some weird stuff in her house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Is Netflix down tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Knine wrote: »
    Is Netflix down tonight?

Not here.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Not here.

Thanks. It is saying I am not connected to the internet but my TV clearly is. I'm a fairly new Netflix user

Try it on another device.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Try it on another device.

Yes just tried on my phone & it is fine

TV probably just needs to be restarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody else find it really hard to see all the content on Netflix. Films seem to be hidden or something. maybe its just me..

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

Two I enjoyed

Look who's back - a comedy about Hitler!!

And

Young offenders - Irish film about two teens setting off to find a bag of cocaine from the massive cocaine find in west cork. Hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Glebee wrote: »
    Anybody else find it really hard to see all the content on Netflix. Films seem to be hidden or something. maybe its just me..

Look in the categories. The content changes a lot, sometimes shrinking considerably, so Netflix doesn't like to draw too much attention to what's on there. It recommends what it thinks you will be interested in based on your viewing history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement