Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine season 3 added today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

River was added today. Really brilliant series from BBC last year. Stellan Skarsgard stars as a police detective in London who is "haunted" by the dead.
    I wasn't sure when I read about this whether it was a supernatural type thing, which sounded a bit silly, but I was happy to discover it's not. It's about grief and mental health and loneliness and lots of other stuff too.

I'd put it up there with Happy Valley as one of the best things BBC has done of late.

Watched River after reading this, enjoyed it! Was disappointed when watching the 6th episode that it was the last, which I guess is a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

has anyone watched the OA yet ? reviews are a bit all over the shop

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »
    has anyone watched the OA yet ? reviews are a bit all over the shop

Watched it over the weekend. It's pretty awful, in my opinion. The overall idea isn't necessarily a terrible one but it's executed so badly. At times I genuinely thought it was maybe a piss take of other shows in the SciFi mystery genre but apparently not. I think the Vanity Fair review was spot on. It basically says it's hard to take it seriously.

I felt a lot of it was very predictable too, despite how out there they seem to think their story is. I called one major plot point from about the second episode and I called the last major scene of the whole series about 2 episodes before it happened.

It tries to be a bit ambiguous with some things but to me these things came across more like they wrote themselves into corners and have no actual answers.

I did enjoy most of the interactions between the teen characters and I felt mostly like I'd rather be watching them dealing with their lives without all the other stuff thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Deadheads been added to Netlix in US. Does anyone know if it coming over here? and can we can get all 4 app on PS4? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just watched Barry, a decent little biopic of when Barack Obama first moved to New York to study. Devon Terrell was either superbly cast in the main role or did a great job acting....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just finished season one of designated survivor.

wouldn't recommend it, its an interesting premise that was dragged out and no real resolution achieved over the course of 10 epsiodes. Its perilously close to being 'president jack bauer' as well, with an issue/ cliffhanger popping up at the end of each episode.

a most violent year
    dumb and dumber to
    fight club added today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Finished Dirk Gently over the weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know people have a major issue with the portrayal of Dirk Gently in it but I thought it worked really well within the show. The script was very clever and all the strands came together perfectly. Hopefully a second season of this gets made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

peteeeed wrote: »
    a most violent year
    dumb and dumber to
    fight club added today

If ever there was a summary of 2016 as a year, there it is. In 1 post.

Oh and if you're into your Downton Abbey and your Royal dramas, just added today is Pride and Prejudice
    and Zombies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I thought this was the Film thread........

4 of the last 6 posts are about films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Can't seem to find that on Netflix :pac:

Synode wrote: »
    Can't seem to find that on Netflix :pac:

To be fair there has been a lot of Dirk Gently chat the last few pages.

Doesn't bother me but I can see why someone coming in looking for a film recommendation might get the hump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

People have too much time on their hands if they get annoyed by things like that. I'm sure I remember mods posting that some chat around TV shows is allowed

Synode wrote: »
    People have too much time on their hands if they get annoyed by things like that. I'm sure I remember mods posting that some chat around TV shows is allowed

Yeah, it doesn't bother me if it's a general kind of chat. If people want to get into episode by episode in depth discussion I think they do tend to take it to the Online TV Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, it doesn't bother me if it's a general kind of chat. If people want to get into episode by episode in depth discussion I think they do tend to take it to the Online TV Forum.

There's never been a breakdown like that on here. It's just been general recommendations. I just gave my brief thoughts on Dirk Gently on finishing it because I hadn't realised the negativity this series inspired from people who knew the source material when posting about it initially. I enjoyed the recommendations of both series and films on here. It's always been handy for finding new things on Netflix worth watching.

There's never been a breakdown like that on here. It's just been general recommendations. I just gave my brief thoughts on Dirk Gently on finishing it because I hadn't realised the negativity this series inspired from people who knew the source material when posting about it initially. I enjoyed the recommendations of both series and films on here. It's always been handy for finding new things on Netflix worth watching.

I know. I gave my opinion on The OA yesterday because someone asked. When I was actually watching it I posted my thoughts in the Online TV forum. I think that's how most people do it.

it should be changed to netflix recommendations and latest releases , someone pipes up every so often and mentions its supposed to be films

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

this is my go-to thread for all netflix recommendations and it does that job nicely.

and, in all fairness, the film selection is pretty brutal and getting worse. Netflix themselves seem to be actively moving towards producing their own content / rebranding foreign content as a 'netflix original'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s difficult to mod this thread. When it was first started everyone wanted to discuss regional workarounds which the office told us to stop. Then people wanted separate threads for each region, threatening to overwhelm the forum with Netflix threads. And now as the film content as dwindled, some people want it to be film only while others want it to be an announcement thread for anything Netflix related.

The thread is called “Netflix film recommendations” and it’s in the Films forum. Take from that what you will. We don’t have a problem with tv shows being mentioned, but as I’ve said before, it would nice if they had some relevance to cinema in the way that Fargo, Strange Things, etc, did. Personally I see this a thread for Films regulars to discuss Netflix.

There’s an Online TV/Netflix forum for more specific threads about Netflix content. If you want a film only thread or a tv only thread or an Ireland only thread, that’s really the place to start it. I’m not being smart about this, but I opposed the creation of that forum the time and it’s annoying that people don’t want to use it except for episode threads that should be in the main Television forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ok I started two general threads in the online forum one for TV shows recommendations and one for Film recommendations maybe that will keep posters happy.

Ok I started two general threads in the online forum one for TV shows recommendations and one for Film recommendations maybe that will keep posters happy.

I'm not trying to be awkward, I know the difficulties here. I may be mistaken but the people who complain here tend to be people who rarely contribute themselves. The people who contribute are the ones that are happy with this thread as it is. Are they more likely to post their own recommendations in a separate thread? Are we going to go to other threads when we can just keep posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm not trying to be awkward, I know the difficulties here. I may be mistaken but the people who complain here tend to be people who rarely contribute themselves. The people who contribute are the ones that are happy with this thread as it is. Are they more likely to post their own recommendations in a separate thread? Are we going to go to other threads when we can just keep posting here?

I totally agree to be honest.

99% of posters don't seem to have an issue with the posting on this thread and sure there is no harm having general threads in the online forum anyway now that more and more sites are becoming available and making online viewing more main stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry for causing a kerfuffle.

Just wanted to see if there were any recommendations for films I might have missed, suggested one myself and got bored looking through all the discussions of series.

Can see the issue with moderating this, will just keep a closer eye on things in future.

Started watching Medici: Masters of Florence. In several scenes, during the first couple of episodes, you see some of the characters turn an hourglass when they start to talk to another character. Anyone know why? Is there some of medieval timelimit to conversations that I didn't know about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Sorry for causing a kerfuffle.

Just wanted to see if there were any recommendations for films I might have missed, suggested one myself and got bored looking through all the discussions of series.

Can see the issue with moderating this, will just keep a closer eye on things in future.

The Big Short: comedy/drama about the 2008 crash I'm the US.

Margin Call is similar but without the comedy.

Network is very good. It's about a news presenter who gets fed up at the state of the world and hijacks a broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Started watching Medici: Masters of Florence. In several scenes, during the first couple of episodes, you see some of the characters turn an hourglass when they start to talk to another character. Anyone know why? Is there some of medieval timelimit to conversations that I didn't know about? :confused:
    Professionals charging by the hourglass or part thereof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I've just watched the first episode of this, and it looks promising, is it worth continuing with?

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Professionals charging by the hourglass or part thereof?

Not sure that applies to the situations i was watching last night. Will keep an eye out in future episodes. I've googled it and there's nothing about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement