Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Separate threads for film & TV
    F is for family is pure gold

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Let the right one in added today , superb Swedish horror

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

dunworth1 wrote: »
    F is for family is pure gold

It has one of my favourite scenes ever.
    When he goes to the bathroom at the baseball game, I've re watched that scene so many times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Rfrip

peteeeed wrote: »
    Let the right one in added today , superb Swedish horror

Highly recommend this. Excellent film and far superior to the American remake

• Registered Users Posts: 60,501 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is being added tomorrow.

tumblr_nfzq5vnV3j1tv7fsto1_500.gif
    Tina-Turner-Turn-Up-Front-Step.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

YSome interesting additions today.

Ones I haven't seen but have heard good things:

The Water Diviner
    Son of Saul
    Eddie the Eagle
    Foxcatcher
    Little Men

Ones I have seen:

Sing Street - enjoyable 80's set Irish film about a boy starting a band at school. Some side plots aren't great and the ending is pretty poor but the music is good.

The Duff - typical teen film plot wise, frumpyish girl discovers she's the Designated Ugly Fat Friend of her group and sets out to change that with the help of a male friend. The writing and Mae Whitman in the lead role raise it above its familiar plot and it's, in my opinion, up there with the best teen films like 10 Things I Hate About You and Clueless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some interesting additions today.

Sing Street
    The Water Diviner
    Son of Saul
    Eddie the Eagle

I’d recommend Son of Saul and Eddie the Eagle, in that order. You’ll need the cheering up after Saul.

The Water Diviner is totally forgettable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Foxcatcher is very good, it has some great central performances and an oppressive atmosphere built around the degree of delusion/self-deception of Steve Carrell's character.

I believe Hunt for the Wilderpeople has/will be added soon.

If you haven't seen it, check it out!

Edit: Can't seem to find it. One website says it should be on the UK one (with another saying it'll be on the Irish one too), but another says it is only on Canada. Anyone know?

I believe Hunt for the Wilderpeople has/will be added soon.

If you haven't seen it, check it out!

Edit: Can't seem to find it. One website says it should be on the UK one (with another saying it'll be on the Irish one too), but another says it is only on Canada. Anyone know?

Someone mentioned this was coming earlier in the month too but I haven't seen it on any of the lists for December and it doesn't seem to be there now. Moreflicks only lists it for Itunes and Vudu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Eddie the eagle is a good film, I can remember him🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

YSome interesting additions today.

Ones I haven't seen but have heard good things:

The Water Diviner
    Son of Saul
    Eddie the Eagle
    Foxcatcher
    Little Men

Ones I have seen:

Sing Street - enjoyable 80's set Irish film about a boy starting a band at school. Some side plots aren't great and the ending is pretty poor but the music is good.

The Duff - typical teen film plot wise, frumpyish girl discovers she's the Designated Ugly Fat Friend of her group and sets out to change that with the help of a male friend. The writing and Mae Whitman in the lead role raise it above its familiar plot and it's, in my opinion, up there with the best teen films like 10 Things I Hate About You and Clueless.

The Water Diviner is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Sing Street. One of the films of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched it tonight and I really enjoyed, even bought the soundtrack straight after. I did find the main character to be a bit of a twat and I wasn't mad about the ending but I would definitely recommend and watch again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah I really enjoyed it. The kids were great, very well made. Yer wan was a zillion times better than when she was in Clean Break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Son of saul is one of the most harrowing films I have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

whiplash added today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Noticed that 5 seasons of Shameless USA is up, worth a watch I think.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Noticed that 5 seasons of Shameless USA is up, worth a watch I think.

I watched about 2 seasons of this on TV but the scheduling was so random it was impossible to keep up. A bit like the US Office it starts out very similar to the original version but finds it's own way eventually and from the episodes I watched was much better than the UK one quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, RTE has it here but their scheduling, as usual, is off the wall. They just finished showing season 5 a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Ireland gets Downton Abbey Series 6 and the UK doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Hip hop evolution is a must watch for music fans with any knowledge of hip hop.

In
    Depth
    !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sing Street, thought it was fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The African doctor
    A good film if you can speak French or don't mind reading English subtitles.
    It's a comedy underdog story that apparntly claims to be true.
    It's one of those where nearly all scenes are going simewhere with the story so you actually pause It to take a piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

OK, I just watched it on your recommendation. And I have to say I loved it! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Watched The Fundamentals of Caring the other day. Road trip/coming of age movie with Paul Rudd. Nothing spectacular but it does amble along nicely and the main characters are likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Watched nick of time last night.
    Its one of those 90s movies where if it was set today it would be over in 5 minutes but once you turn off your brain its enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Two that I've seen recently - 'Faults' which is absolutely brilliant and 'Bone Tomahawk' which is a bit long and gorey but satisfying all the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

I watched Sing Street a couple of days ago, mainly because I actually went to Synge Street CBS around the time the movie was set .......... although I enjoyed the personal nostalgic element, ie. the uniforms, classrooms, schoolyard etc. are all exactly the same as they were when I went there ............. it must be said though that Sing Street is definitely not an accurate portrayal of the actual school at that time!

I found the movie, in general, very a bit meh. Probably just not my type of film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Seen Sing Street a few months ago and thought it was excellent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement