Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Separate threads for film & TV
    Really enjoyed Blue Jay http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5912454/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Like Mark Duplass in most things he's in and Sarah Paulson was great in OJ and is great in this too.

I watched it and liked it...what was your take on the ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Saw Blue Jay as well and I have to say its one of the most heartwrenching films i've seen in years. I guess we all have at some stage in our lives , where we think of "the one that got away" or "if circumstances were different" what would we do differently in a past relationship.

Brilliant acting in it altogther, really enjoyed it.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I'm really enjoying the expanse at the moment.

good space drama

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gave Sing Street a watch last night and enjoyed it for the most part, it was decent up until the final ten minutes or so. Felt like they had no idea how to end it and I thought they could have done a better job of fleshing out the other band members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I thought it was a pretty cool ending!
    Young fella, young love, off chasing the dream. Like his "Edge" side-kick said, go off to London with the demo tapes and get the band noticed.

Although the bags in the boat they were in would want to have been bloody water proof :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,405 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

seiphil wrote: »
    Anybody watch Captive?

Hearing mixed reviews but looks good.
    I watched episode 1, I found it pretty interesting. I liked the footage and the radio broadcasts from the actual time as well as the interviews with people involved...I could have done without the crimewatch style reconstructions though, worth a watch IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was about to start watching a sci-fi TV series set in space that was recently added but I can't think of the name or find the flipping thing, does that ring a bell for anyone? :/

Pretty sure it was just one season, and added in the last few days with a pretty high rating.

Driving me mental

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I was about to start watching a sci-fi TV series set in space that was recently added but I can't think of the name or find the flipping thing, does that ring a bell for anyone? :/

Pretty sure it was just one season, and added in the last few days with a pretty high rating.

Driving me mental

The expanse?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    The expanse?

Thank you!! I searched TV and sci-fi and couldn't find it :rolleyes:

The expanse?

Enjoy its great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm really enjoying the expanse at the moment.

good space drama

Driving me mental
    The expanse?

:D

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those enjoying The Expanse, season 2 will be airing from Feb 1, with Netflix broadcasting each new episode weekly.

Netflix definitely seems to have given it a new lease of life. The Expanse came and went from terestrial tv without much fuss, but there's a lot more chatter about it across the net this time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Also, if you find you like it the books are very enjoyable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

pixelburp wrote: »
    For those enjoying The Expanse, season 2 will be airing from Feb 1, with Netflix broadcasting each new episode weekly.

Netflix definitely seems to have given it a new lease of life. The Expanse came and went from terestrial tv without much fuss, but there's a lot more chatter about it across the net this time.

and it's excellent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

z for zachariah is a good movie available now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Two that I've seen recently - 'Faults' which is absolutely brilliant and 'Bone Tomahawk' which is a bit long and gorey but satisfying all the same...

Watched Bone Tomahawk - starts off as a standard John Wayne style western gone off to rescue his deputy and a woman from the bold Indians. Then it turns a bit weird, the wiki article mentions it's a western horror but by the time the "horror" element shows up in the final act the wheels start coming off the stagecoach.

Worth a watch if you like westerns and can find nothing else to watch but it's not very remarkable.

Open Range is a really good western I'd recommend.

Might give The Homesman a watch tonight.

Finished the expanse today loved every bit.
    Its great that the new season is starting soon

Has anyone watched the travelers yet going to start tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bingeing on travelers as i type this. Found it hard to get into but it is proving to be very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I have watched it all and liked it. Hope it's renewed (just going on how it ended)

• Advertisement

Marje wrote:
    I have watched it all and liked it. Hope it's renewed (just going on how it ended)

Series 2 starts on Netflix from February 1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Series 2 starts on Netflix from February 1
    Not season two of 'Travelers' though - it's Season 2 of 'The Expanse' that starts on Feb 1st. I believe the poster was referring to 'Travellers'.

is there any proper scary Horror films on Netflix? look for a few crap my pants ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

is there any proper scary Horror films on Netflix? look for a few crap my pants ones

It's divisive but I enjoyed the remake of Evil Dead. Mirrors, The Woman in Black, Event Horizon and 30 Days of Night are all unsettling. Starry Eyes, The Woman, The Invitation and Night of the Wolf are all worth watching as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Scary is very subjective, I find the jump scare horror films that are generally called scary to be crap

Starry Eyes
    Candyman
    Banshee Chapter
    Midnight Meat Train
    Let Me in
    The Prophecy
    He never died (not really a horror but its a great little movie)
    30 days of Night

Are all great horrors

Spellbinder
    From Beyond
    The Keep

are good in an 80s cult sort of way. I also just noticed that return of the living dead is up there now. Not that scary but a classic

Or sign up for the free weeks subscription at shudder.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Event Horizon and 30 Days of Night

I found Event Horizon a bit meh, but I enjoyed 30 Days of Night, despite a premise that doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's an interesting take on the vampire genre a nice de-glamourising of it. Definitely not "Twilight" in thermals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

storker wrote: »
    I found Event Horizon a bit meh, but I enjoyed 30 Days of Night, despite a premise that doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's an interesting take on the vampire genre a nice de-glamourising of it. Definitely not "Twilight" in thermals. :)

Event Horizon is a great setup and then no pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »
    Event Horizon is a great setup and then no pay off.

That's interesting. I think it's one of the few successful sci-fi horror movies out there and I'd put it up there with Alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I found Paranormal Activiy a bit scary but it's more of a tension building exercise rather than jump scares every scene.

Creep is creepy - found footage of a man who spends a weekend with some quite creepy. Bit of a one note "crap your pants" movie but might be up your alley.

Hush is in the horror section but is more thriller - home invasion of a deaf woman.

Circle (strangers in a mysterious room in a circle picked off one by one) and The Invitation (dinner party gone bad in a cult-like manner) are also more along the thriller lines imo but might keep you hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

bill & teds bogus journey
    gandhi
    hunt for the wilderpeople
    night watch (the mad russian film)
    added today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement