Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

@BEEFY 78

I can only presume you work in Finance & or you cannot emphatise with the main character in the film, who is unable to pay for prescription drugs for his wifes survival because his investment in stocks is now worthless despite the 'sales pitch' of his broker promising high returns. Hiw would you feel if your wife took her life in such circumstances - How many people committed suicide in Ireland as a result of losing everything.
    I don't think the film is ott - esp. with the gun culture in American & I certainly consider the actions taken by the main character are a possible future occurance. I'm sure many investors in Anglo who were fraudulently swindled out of their lifes savings, would have loved / love to undertaken such actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

@BEEFY 78

I can only presume you work in Finance & or you cannot emphatise with the main character in the film, who is unable to pay for prescription drugs for his wifes survival because his investment in stocks is now worthless despite the 'sales pitch' of his broker promising high returns. Hiw would you feel if your wife took her life in such circumstances - How many people committed suicide in Ireland as a result of losing everything.
    I don't think the film is ott - esp. with the gun culture in American & I certainly consider the actions taken by the main character are a possible future occurance. I'm sure many investors in Anglo who were fraudulently swindled out of their lifes savings, would have loved / love to undertaken such actions.

I think your reading to much into the film. It was made as an action film and that's what it does.

Also what does it mater were/what sector the other poster works as it has no bearing on the film whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Separate threads for film & TV
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think your reading to much into the film. It was made as an action film and that's what it does.

Also what does it mater were/what sector the other poster works as it has no bearing on the film whatsoever.

I dunno Emmet, how would you feel if a gang of German terrorists took over a high rise building while you were visiting your wife at Christmas? If you were a police officer , surely you'd feel compelled to act? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Wolf of Wall Street added to Netflix Ireland today since the financial crisis is being talked about in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched Limmy's Show series 1, hit or miss but the good stuff is hysterical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I dunno Emmet, how would you feel if a gang of German terrorists took over a high rise building while you were visiting your wife at Christmas? If you were a police officer , surely you'd feel compelled to act? :D

Depends on how annoying she had been lately :D

She'd piss the terrorists off and they'd just leave either way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Good Doctor.

Orlando Bloom plays young Dr that falls for one of his patients while treating her for kidney disorder. A bit creepy but not a bad film.

Cake.

Very surprised by this and I thought Jennifer Aniston was brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm going to weigh in and give a thumbs up for Margin Call. Excellently acted movie with tense dialogue that you can believe actually probably happened during the 2008 crisis when the realisation hit. Jeremy Iron is excellent in his first scene in the boardroom.

Assault on Wall Street however was very poor in my estimation. I would hesitate to recommend it even to action fans. Expected more from the premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Last Picture Show added to Netflix Switzerland.

Cybill Shepherd, 'nuff said!

cybill-shepherd-3.jpg

Speed test giving 50mb plus download speeds but Netflix only spooling up to 240 playback here in Drumcondra, anyone else? I'm usually on 1080 no problem all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

@BEEFY 78

Would love to indiscriminately murder dozens of innocent people? I hope not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Speed test giving 50mb plus download speeds but Netflix only spooling up to 240 playback here in Drumcondra, anyone else? I'm usually on 1080 no problem all the time?

Netflix is being a little laggy here too. Had put it down to being "on holidays" here.

Ted_YNWA wrote:
    Netflix is being a little laggy here too. Had put it down to being "on holidays" here.

Wonder if UPC or Netflix are dialling back on Netflix speed?

I wouldn't be surprised if there servers are getting pounded at the moment since the whole world just joined in.

Ted_YNWA wrote:

That never was an issue before, do you think flix are clamping down on tourists now?

Surely they'd be ready for that, no one would continue using their service for long if their quality is only half of SD (480).

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

That never was an issue before, do you think flix are clamping down on tourists now?

No idea, it was just a guess on my part. Everything else is going ok for me.

Could be just an issue as above with more countries being added & they haven't upgraded for increase in traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’ve been experiencing speed issues since before Christmas. I used to always get 1080p but these days I’m lucky if it’s 720p. This on Irish Netflix with UPC.

Netflix use Amazons cloud servers I wonder have Amazon just not put them up to the max at the moment a little friendly competition and all that.

Or it could simple be a Virgin or Eir or whoever having an issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

480 is as good as I ever get! It hasn't got any worse for me, travelling or in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've had nothing less than 1080 and have had no issues with Netflix at all lately. UPC in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think UPC does something weird on sundays, sometimes it only affects netflix but sometimes speeds in general fall off a cliff

I’ve been experiencing speed issues since before Christmas. I used to always get 1080p but these days I’m lucky if it’s 720p. This on Irish Netflix with UPC.

I'm OK with 720 , but the current half DVD quality is awful

Think it may be UPC in general. Have noticed issues with all streaming services of late. Earlier today Hulu repeatedly stopped to buffer during a 22 minute episode of TV, Fandor automatically streams on the lower settings and if I change to HD it will need to buffer. Netflix will at best show 720 when in the past all three were at highest settings without a hitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

e_e wrote: »
    Watched Limmy's Show series 1, hit or miss but the good stuff is hysterical.

Watched this before but is hilarious and worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I found it poor last night too, first thing I watched was at a reduced resolution but I didn't mind as it was a doc, second thing it seemed to pick up but the load times were longer than usual. This was using the Irish site on UPC, never usually have issues and get up to 1080p normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I'm watching an old comedy classic today:

"It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world"

It's rare that I laugh out loud at a comedy movie but this really is a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a great film, first saw it as a kid in the 80s some time. Didn't they remake it recently?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Going on holidays to parts of E. Europe, they seem to have a really good selection of movies already available there. Am I right in assuming it's because there probably aren't many big channels that would have the movie rights locked down like Sky do with movies in the UK and Ireland? Since not many people in those countries would be able to afford the prices of subscriptions to such channels. Even Netflix's €7.99 would be considered expensive to a lot of people there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

At this link is a directory which will open all the secret genre categories Netflix doesn't show you. Pretty nifty - http://netflixcodes.me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement