Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anything on Netflix similar to making a murderer?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

Absolutely blown away by Making A Murderer. One of the best things I've ever seen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    Tyson Fury wrote: »

Forensic Files is really good..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

fin12 wrote: »
    Forensic Files is really good..

+1

It's not gritty or anything and is short episodes that are a bit dated, but I enjoyed watching them.

8-10 wrote: »
    +1

It's not gritty or anything and is short episodes that are a bit dated, but I enjoyed watching them.

I think its brilliant but I did find some episodes scary and gruesome, I remember watching some late at night, especially the ones where the killers break into peoples home while they were sleeping, I found it hard to sleep those nights, had to lock my bedroom door after watching some late at night..... the skin of her teeth I think is the title of one, is so disgusting and gruesome...its horrible what some humans are capable of

• Advertisement

Oh west of Memphis is quite similar, about the Memphis three who were released from jail after been convicted of killing 3 boys..

I believe they were guilty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Paul Williams : Still Alive

For a house that grew up watching Bugsy Malone a lot this struck my eye.

Easy watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

In addition to 'West of Memphis', 'The Thin Blue Line' and 'The House I Live In' are also on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The Central Park Five is another good documentary for those looking to follow on from the likes of Making a Murderer - on a lot of the Netflix's including UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Slow West is on the Irish/UK Netflix. It's a nice little western and at just over 80 minutes it's a good example of a film that knows when it's said its piece.

Michael Fassbender puts in a solid support performance. Ben Mendelsohn also has small role. I'm tempted to say the latter is underused but in truth he probably wasn't needed at all. The role is as big as it needed to be but Mendelsohn's presence leads you to believe there's gonna be more to it than there actually is.

My only gripe was with how the film looked. There's some very striking shots but it seemed to be lit to brightly. It had a slightly televisual look at times and that bothered me.

Also, it's written and directed by the lead singer of the now defunct The Beta Band, so fans of their music might want to see it out of curiosity.

Edit: Written and directed by John Mclean (DJ, sampler, keyboards for Beta Band).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Also, it's written and directed by the lead singer of the now defunct The Beta Band, so fans of their music might want to see it out of curiosity.

Steve Mason? wow. Didn't know this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

sweetie wrote: »
    Steve Mason? wow. Didn't know this!

My mistake. A quick Google tells me its John Maclean (DJ/samplers/keyboard).

I'm a huge Beta fan so I'm currently hanging my head in shame for not clarifying that first.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Used to love those guys, had he anything to do with the score at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Constantine added to the US Netflix.

Tried watching it but the writing at the beginning was all in French and the subtitles were French too. Then I reloaded it and it was back to English audio but super super low. Shame, wanted to watch it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Constantine added to the US Netflix.

Tried watching it but the writing at the beginning was all in French and the subtitles were French too. Then I reloaded it and it was back to English audio but super super low. Shame, wanted to watch it tonight.

The movie or the tv show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

If you enjoyed Making a Murderer, Capturing the Friedmans is on Italy Flix and is a bit similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The movie or the tv show?

The 2005 movie. :(

Don't think any region has the 2014 show, which people should watch.
    The TV show was so good and cancelled before it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Varik wrote: »
    The 2005 movie. :(

Don't think any region has the 2014 show, which people should watch.
    The TV show was so good and cancelled before it's time.

Cool, I seem to be one of the few who genuinely like the movie. Peter stormare as the devil was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cool, I seem to be one of the few who genuinely like the movie. Peter stormare as the devil was excellent.

Film was good, liked it too but the TV series' Matt Ryan is such a bastard and plays Constantine perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

My only gripe was with how the film looked. There's some very striking shots but it seemed to be lit to brightly. It had a slightly televisual look at times and that bothered me.

Actually I thought the cinematography was fantastic throughout. Very cinema looking, maybe its your TV?

• Advertisement

Deliver us from Evil, I don't even really know what to say about this, just absolutely heartbreaking, and that sick f*cker of a priest was roaming freely in Ireland, I don't know if he's still alive, just very hard to watch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

fin12 wrote: »
    Deliver us from Evil, I don't even really know what to say about this, just absolutely heartbreaking, and that sick f*cker of a priest was roaming freely in Ireland, I don't know if he's still alive, just very hard to watch.....

Saw it last night, the bits with him roaming around Stephens Green, made my blood boil, especially when he was looking at the playground!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Suburra is on US and Canada netflix.

Essentially an Italian gangster film from the people responsible who wrote Gomorrah and Romanzo Criminale 2 really good Italian TV gangster shows of recent times. A thug who wants to rise to the top with his besotted girlfriend, a violent Romanian gypsy gang, corrupt politician and sleazy pr guy all collide.

It's not ground breaking stuff, but still a very solid and enjoyable gangster film.
    M83 soundtrack for the film helps as well.:)

Trailer which does not have English subtitles, but still gets the gist of the film across. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I've seen 7 episodes of Making a Murderer so far (6 of them in the past day!) and it's a terrific series. Part of me wishes it was some epic 600 minute movie so I could log it on Letterboxd and give it the rating it deserves. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I've just read the last 10 Pages on this Board - Most of the "RECOMMENDATIONS" are purely repeat comments.

In 10 Pages I got 2 movie Recommendations - DELIVER US FROM EVIL
    - BLACK COAL.

Cud some1 please list their recommendations for Netflix Ireland Region Only.

Thank You.

PS.
    FILMS:-
    MARGIN CALL - Watchable.
    CHAIN REACTION - Rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

e_e wrote: »
    I've seen 7 episodes of Making a Murderer so far (6 of them in the past day!) and it's a terrific series. Part of me wishes it was some epic 600 minute movie so I could log it on Letterboxd and give it the rating it deserves. :P
    http://letterboxd.com/film/making-a-murderer/
    Ah it's on there anyway. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I've just read the last 10 Pages on this Board - Most of the "RECOMMENDATIONS" are purely repeat comments.

- BLACK COAL.

Thank You.

PS.
    MARGIN CALL - Watchable.

I think Making a Murderer has been mentioned also....

- BLACK COAL.

Thank You.

PS.
    MARGIN CALL - Watchable.

spartucus all 4 seasons.
    72 Dangerous animals Australia.
    The Amazing spiderman.
    Generation war, I think this is brilliant.
    Forensic Files 2 seasons, brilliant.
    A walk among the tombstones, Liam Nee son.
    Quirke rte show which I thought was very good.
    Narcos, really recommend this absolutely brilliant.
    Team America.
    Daredevil.
    Dallas Buyers Club.
    War Horse.
    The Dictator,
    Home Alone 1 and 2.
    Flight.
    White chicks.
    Jimmy's Hall.
    Sleeping with the Enemy.
    Prison Break season 1 and 2.
    Auschwitz The Nazis and the final solution.
    season of the witch.
    Only fools and horses.
    Warrior.
    Don't mess with the Zohan.
    Country strong.
    All 3 of the toy story films.
    Up.
    Employee of the month.
    Despecable me 2.
    Black book.
    North & South.
    Ice age giants.
    Big school.
    The hobbit.
    Peaky Blinders.
    F is for Family.
    Blackfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I think Making a Murderer has been mentioned also....

Eh ..... Yes - mentioned many times.
    I'm looking for MOVIE Recommendations ONLY.

Got Netflix last month - I think its Rubbish so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

There is an online TV thread set up for most of the tv shows discussed in here.

I've said it before but this thread should just be for film recommendations.

Or take this thread out of the film category.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement