Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

All on the irish flix.

Eye for an eye
    Mr. Brooks
    Twisted
    City of God

Strongly recommend getting the Cadadian flix for a far greater selection of films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    There is an online TV thread set up for most of the tv shows discussed in here.

I've said it before but this thread should just be for film recommendations.

Or take this thread out of the film category.

I don't think it should be, its Netflix recommendations so whatever is on Netflix be that a TV show, film,documentary should be recommended here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I've just read the last 10 Pages on this Board - Most of the "RECOMMENDATIONS" are purely repeat comments.

In 10 Pages I got 2 movie Recommendations - DELIVER US FROM EVIL
    - BLACK COAL.

Cud some1 please list their recommendations for Netflix Ireland Region Only.

Thank You.

PS.
    FILMS:-
    MARGIN CALL - Watchable.
    CHAIN REACTION - Rubbish.

What sort of film do you want? If you found 'Margin Call' watchable then you might also like Wall St. The Manchurian Candidate (2004), Chinatown, Gone Baby Gone, A Most Wanted Man are also thriller/dramas which you may find watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Yeah - Ur right.

But FILMS is typed in lower case & not bold.
    Not surprised - TV SHOWS / BOX SETS are commented on here.

fin12 wrote: »
    I don't think it should be, its Netflix recommendations so whatever is on Netflix be that a TV show, film,documentary should be recommended here.

Netflix recommendations in the film forum.

If it's other than film, take it to the online TV Forum.

This is just my opinion and I know Its in a minority so I shall not be expecting any changes.

• Advertisement

If u check the Board Title it states - films

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Officially it is just for film recommendations. It even says so in the first post. I've edited the thread title to reflect this.

But moving the thread or trying to enforce rules about what regions can be discussed isn't a runner for the simple reason that this isn't so much a thread as it's a containment unit to stop crazed Netflix subscribers from inflicting chaos on the rest of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

is there threads so set up specifically for Netflix TV show recommendations and Netflix documentary recommendations?????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

is there threads so set up specifically for Netflix TV show recommendations and Netflix documentary recommendations?????

Here in the Films forum? No. This is the only Netflix thread allowed.

Have a look in either Television or the Online TV forum.

There was at the beginning, well a tv one and this one for film.

I have no problem with someone recommending a tv show or whatever but it's annoying when you pop in here looking for a film rec. And it's bogged down with discussion on that Making a Murderer.. which does have its own thread in the online TV Forum.

• Advertisement

Officially it is just for film recommendations. It even says so in the first post. I've edited the thread title to reflect this.

But moving the thread or trying to enforce rules about what regions can be discussed isn't a runner for the simple reason that this isn't so much a thread as it's a containment unit to stop crazed Netflix subscribers from inflicting chaos on the rest of the forum.

Well said Professor.
    I'm very impressed with the Response Time.
    Thks.

There are numerous idividual threads in the online TV forum for a lot of tv shows that are on netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Here's a few film recommendations as requested, all Netflix Ireland:

Come Drink With Me: stunningly shot martial arts classic that's equal part exciting and hilarious.

Computer Chess: Bizarre and very funny film about a chess tournament that's one of the most formally witty works of recent years. The beyond low-fi stylings are entirely on purpose ;)

Starlet: a warm, intelligent study of the relationship that forms between a young woman in LA and a much older woman. From the director of the recent Tangerine, be advised it's not exactly family viewing.

It's Such A Beautiful Day: possibly the most emotionally taxing, ingeniously directed animated feature film I've ever seen.

Mind Game: this is your brain on drugs.

Exhibition: challenging but very rewarding psychological drama from British director Joanna Hogg.

A Separarion: one of the great films of the last decade - an Iranian courtroom/family drama that doesn't put a single step wrong. See also: The Past

Two Days, One Night: Marion Cotillard excels in yet another expertly observed drama from the ever reliable Dardenne Brothers.

Rififi: French classic that features what is, I would say without question, the finest of cinematic heist sequences.

13 Assassins: Japanese maverick Takashi Miike goes reasonably conservative, but delivers one of the most thrillingly crafted action films of the last few years.

Bastards: pitch black but utterly chilling work from the great Claire Denis.

Hannah and her Sisters: IMO top three Woody Allen material sees the man operating at his most happily self-depreciating best.

Young Adult: strangely underappreciated given the people involved, Diablo Cody turns in her best script (by a distance?) and Charlize Theron gives one of the performances of her career as a truly horrible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rear Window added to Netflix Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why? It's a great thread so far.

The threads on the online forum discuss the shows in question so are full of spoilers. With this you get a recommendation and a couple of lines as to why.

It's one of my most visited threads on boards.ie, there's no reason to mess with something that has worked well for so long because a couple of people want a list spoon fed to them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't have a problem with people recommending TV shows or documentaries in this thread but I think at this point we can all just assume you're watching Making A Murderer and it's excellent.

Community will be leaving Netflix Ireland soon. Was watching it yesterday and that message popped up

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

I just think it's funny that someone came and complained about the amount of chat in this thread and started a 2 page discussion on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Actually I thought the cinematography was fantastic throughout. Very cinema looking, maybe its your TV?

No my TV is fine. It's definitely the film.

scouttio wrote: »
    I just think it's funny that someone came and complained about the amount of chat in this thread and started a 2 page discussion on it

This Forum is NOT for Netflix Recs.
    Its for Netflix FILM Recs.

And yes, I do wish to have a list of good films 'spoon-fed' to me - thats was recommendations are for & I will gladly contribute recommendations myself.

As regards some1 causing a 2page discussion - count the numerous pages re Making a Murderer.

So I recommend you take thus on the chin & post box sets & documentary etc. Recommendations to the appropriate tv forum where they should have been posted, in the 1st place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Modify the thread title by dropping "Film" and then everyone is happy so. There was no issue with it up until now.

Edit, the very first recommendation on this thread 4 years ago was for TV series.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Modify the thread title by dropping "Film" and then everyone is happy so. There was no issue with it up until now.

Edit, the very first recommendation on this thread 4 years ago was for TV series.

Just goes to show, how many people incorrectly posted comments then.

No - The Forum should be left as is - as Intended & as several posters have confirmed there already is tv forums for Netflix Tv programs.

Just goes to show, how many people incorrectly posted comments then.

No - The Forum should be left as is - as Intended & as several posters have confirmed there already is tv forums for Netflix Tv programs.

The thread works just fine as it is. Other than the recent hostile takeover by people watching Making A Murderer it is mostly film talk and nobody else seems to mind the occasional TV show being recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This thread is more exciting than any film on Netflix

This thread is more exciting than any film on Netflix

I'm making a documentary about it called "Making a Films on Netflix Recommendations Thread" It starts out as that but then there's a twist! It also contains recommendations for other Netflix content!

The thread works just fine as it is. Other than the recent hostile takeover by people watching Making A Murderer it is mostly film talk and nobody else seems to mind the occasional TV show being recommended.

Unfortunately its not an 'occasional' mention of tv shows. Recommended films should be easily accessable instead of having to wade through page upon page of comments & discussions re BoxSets. You mentioned yourself the endless pages re MAM.

That’s enough, guys.

This is a Netflix thread in the Films forum, so it’s mainly for film recommendations, but as TICKLE_ME_ELMO said, the occasional tv show recommendation is okay too. We’re not going to police it to that extent.

Now back on topic please. If anyone has anymore feedback or thoughts on this matter, they can PM myself or johnny_ultimate about it.

2 Films: Both on Netflix IRL
    - Margin Call +
    - Assault on Wall St.

I suggest you watch them in the above order.

Both films are very watchable & deal with the Financial 'downturn' in 2008/10.

MARGIN CALL
    A share trading co. finds out the stocks they ave been selling are now junk & decide to off-load them, wiping out their value. As always the company Execs & salesforce get their fat bonus's.

ASSAULT on WALL ST.
    Deals more with the human fall out from the crash.
    A mans entire life is destroyed - again as a result of the downturn in share values his broker had invested in, on his behalf. Brokers sell off the shares - get their bonus's - & recommence the 'game' again as if nothing had happened.

Both films are well worth a view & offer an insight into the bonus culture of the Finance Industry (esp. at the higher end) & the unreliability of share investments & the real effects on the man on the street.

Should be made compulsory viewing for all Ministers of Finance & Heads of Financial Regulatory Authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dr. Strangelove added to Netflix Switzerland.

• Advertisement

I'm slowly running out of reasons to keep a Netflix account in the period between when their original content is off the air, especially since the Office hasn't returned and community will be going too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement